Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
and these alleged russian hackers probably used tor to cover their tracks

I don't see the problem

also the report released doesn't seem to be "evidence", more like "hey sysadmins, add these IDS rules to your system to detect when potential state actor poo poo goes down in your network"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

anthonypants posted:

i guess you guys haven't heard yet but the media in the us has been screaming for months about how russia cyberattacked us and how bad and dangerous russia is

russia is an authoritarian kleptocracy that interferes in other nations' politics constantly, which is bad and dangerous, yes. this is well-documented

it's bad when the US does it too, yes, but that doesn't make russia's activity any less a problem

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

ymgve posted:

I don't see the problem

also the report released doesn't seem to be "evidence", more like "hey sysadmins, add these IDS rules to your system to detect when potential state actor poo poo goes down in your network"

the intercept has been spinning the russian hacking as a non-event because...

i'm not sure why, really. greenwald was a ron paul supporter though so he's kind of a loving idiot, maybe that's it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ymgve posted:

I don't see the problem

This is exactly it. Media is reading way too much into it. Although the quality of the ioc's is questionable

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

raminasi posted:

i'm trying to download a software library from a company website that I know was good a few years ago, but now my browser is throwing a fit about it being a known malware site

I emailed them to ask what was up and they emailed back saying "nope all good," but i'm a little concerned because a) they didn't seem at all worriedthat they'd been flagged as malware, b) the website hasn't been touched in over a year, and c) they got back to me pretty fast (i think it's almost 9pm where they are). am i just being paranoid?

they've been bought out is my guess, and they have little idea what their site is doing. it could go either way (malware or false positive)

anthonypants posted:

i guess you guys haven't heard yet but the media in the us has been screaming for months about how russia cyberattacked us and how bad and dangerous russia is

you guys are weirdly chill with a foreign power and former enemy compromising a major political party and interfering in a national election

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Heresiarch posted:

i'm not sure why, really. greenwald was a ron paul supporter though so he's kind of a loving idiot, maybe that's it

podesta's dumb rear end clicking a phishing link with the knowledge of IT staff and then letting it go for hours while it dumps email isn't exactly a nefarious government attack and until someone provides real evidence that this was state sponsored and not just some script kiddies selling an email dump that they got their hands on I don't really give a poo poo that russia decided to act in their own interests with information they got because that's what governments do

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

podesta's dumb rear end clicking a phishing link with the knowledge of IT staff and then letting it go for hours while it dumps email isn't exactly a nefarious government attack and until someone provides real evidence that this was state sponsored and not just some script kiddies selling an email dump that they got their hands on I don't really give a poo poo that russia decided to act in their own interests with information they got because that's what governments do
it's this

russia is bad but the speed at which people are ready to believe the cia or the clinton campaign shifting all the blame to russia is more bad, imho

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

hackbunny posted:

you guys are weirdly chill with a foreign power and former enemy compromising a major political party and interfering in a national election

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the US has it coming and until they show a little introspection and humility for all the incidents of tampering with democracy they are guilty of: gently caress em

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

anthonypants posted:

it's this

russia is bad but the speed at which people are ready to believe the cia or the clinton campaign shifting all the blame to russia is more bad, imho

it is possible to believe that the clinton campaign made major mistakes and at the same time believe that russia was deliberately interfering with the election. these are not exclusive positions

and frankly, the CIA are one of the two world experts in loving with foreign elections (the other is whatever the russians are calling theirs right now) and i am strongly inclined to believe them, especially since they are acting against their own political interests by picking a fight with the president-elect

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

the US has it coming and until they show a little introspection and humility for all the incidents of tampering with democracy they are guilty of: gently caress em

the prison rape argument, right

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
final season of america is dramatic as gently caress

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Heresiarch posted:

it is possible to believe that the clinton campaign made major mistakes and at the same time believe that russia was deliberately interfering with the election. these are not exclusive positions

and frankly, the CIA are one of the two world experts in loving with foreign elections (the other is whatever the russians are calling theirs right now) and i am strongly inclined to believe them, especially since they are acting against their own political interests by picking a fight with the president-elect
if russia, or any other country in the world, claimed to the media that the american government was cyberattacking them because of us-based tor exit nodes, would you believe them

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
read this dudes latest tweets

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings

basically, whoever did the podesta hack also targeted 1800 other accounts

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/816627274367823872

this is a huge operation that could have been done by three actors:
1. state actor
2. for-profit criminal enterprise
3. very dedicated activists trying to uncover poo poo

that the documents ended up at wikileaks and didn't just disappear into the void excludes option 2. that only the podesta mails ended up at wikileaks somewhat excludes option 3, because any actual activists would have released tons more poo poo

and look what we're left with

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

If you think national intelligences organizations don't use phishing as an initial access vector you don't know nearly as much about cyber stuff as you think you do. Or, more pithily and from someone more famous,

https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/563964286783877121?lang=en

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ymgve posted:

this is a huge operation that could have been done by three actors:
1. state actor
2. for-profit criminal enterprise
3. very dedicated activists trying to uncover poo poo
imagine describing any other targeted phishing attack with a reduction this absurd

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
turns out gary mckinnon was actually a russian spy, because there's no way one individual could have hacked his way into government-run computer systems in the early 2000s by himself

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

anthonypants posted:

if russia, or any other country in the world, claimed to the media that the american government was cyberattacking them because of us-based tor exit nodes, would you believe them

Hmm good point if you blow one piece of evidence completely out of proportion and then claim it's meaningless, it looks to utter morons like the argument is settled. Thanks for this lesson in how to argue in bad faith.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

anthonypants posted:

that document does not say "these IPs are in russia and that's the reason we think the attack was organized by russian intelligence" because that's not what the document is for. it cites no evidence at all, actually

what that document is for is explicitly stated here: https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-activity/2016/12/29/GRIZZLY-STEPPE-Russian-Malicious-Cyber-Activity

quote:

DHS recommends that network administrators review the Security Publication for more information and implement the recommendations provided.
that document says "this attack was organized by russian intelligence, here's a list of IPs that were involved in the attack and guidelines for hardening your systems", because it is intended for network administrators who have a use for those IP addresses

the intelligence agencies involved have not shared their detailed evidence for why they believe the attacks were organized by russian intelligence, and i believe they are unlikely to do so because then the perpetrators would alter their fingerprints, so to speak. arguing that this document is not evidence of russian involvement is disingenous because it is not intended as evidence

[edit] and the JAR document itself says:

quote:

This
JAR provides technical indicators related to many of these operations, recommended mitigations,
suggested actions to take in response to the indicators provided, and information on how to
report such incidents to the U.S. Government.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cool, in the meantime all sorts of minorities get really hurt because russia installed orange putin as our president.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

cool, in the meantime all sorts of minorities get really hurt because russia installed orange putin as our president.

even if you believe in the prison rape argument (that criminals deserve what they get, even outside of the scope of the legal system), the people who will be punished by the president-elect are very distinctly not the people who are responsible for decades of CIA interference in foreign elections

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

the people who benefited from the interference were the ones going :nallears: when they were told about it, actively blocked its disclosure, or outright applauded it. "the US" as some vague monolithic boogeyman isn't showing humility because the people suffering most from this aren't the ones who are tampering in foreign democracies

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
HERE IS A FORUM FOR YOU D&D WANNABES THAT WELCOMES CHAT ABOUT AMERICAN FOREIGN POLICY AND ITS UTTER FAILURE

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

gross. there's capital letters there.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

CommunistPancake posted:

gross. there's capital letters there.

odd theyre normally anti capital punishment

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

PCjr sidecar posted:

odd theyre normally anti capital punishment

how did you not just end the sentence at capital good job ruining your own joke

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

how did you not just end the sentence at capital good job ruining your own joke

god drat it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ymgve posted:

read this dudes latest tweets

https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings

basically, whoever did the podesta hack also targeted 1800 other accounts

a summary, for those of you too lazy to go look:
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/816623812078956544
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/816624297972273152
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/816624404918652928
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/816624876119277568
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/816625617068236802
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/816626310122500096

I'd link to the SecureWorks report this all came from, but secureworks.com is serving up zero length pages.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thanks!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Heresiarch posted:

Let me temporarily put on my politics hat.

I think the issue that people have with the "Russian" hacking is the scope, the DNC likes to say they "hacked our election" which is patently false.
The current Whitehouse has been blaming many/most well-known information breaches from Clinton emails, Julian Assflange, or the dyndns DDoS attack on "Russia."
Someone tweets "well a lot of these attacks are from ToR exit nodes" which implies their origin is unknown, which means there is a dishonest representation of everything "bad" that happens on the internet portrayed as Russian, which is transparently US propaganda.

That said I understand that high level analysis of the DNC "hack" points to Russia, but there is the intentional framing of that attack to be broader then it was.

ok sorry for politics in the security thread.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
presumably there's a boatload of circumstantial evidence that points to russia specifically, like how they found traces of fancy bear both in the DNC hack and also in a ukranian smartphone mortar aiming app

but i'm not receiving classified intelligence briefings

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Let me temporarily put on my politics hat.

I think the issue that people have with the "Russian" hacking is the scope, the DNC likes to say they "hacked our election" which is patently false.
The current Whitehouse has been blaming many/most well-known information breaches from Clinton emails, Julian Assflange, or the dyndns DDoS attack on "Russia."
Someone tweets "well a lot of these attacks are from ToR exit nodes" which implies their origin is unknown, which means there is a dishonest representation of everything "bad" that happens on the internet portrayed as Russian, which is transparently US propaganda.

That said I understand that high level analysis of the DNC "hack" points to Russia, but there is the intentional framing of that attack to be broader then it was.

ok sorry for politics in the security thread.

Bhodi posted:

presumably there's a boatload of circumstantial evidence that points to russia specifically, like how they found traces of fancy bear both in the DNC hack and also in a ukranian smartphone mortar aiming app

but i'm not receiving classified intelligence briefings

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This didn't happen.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

pseudorandom name posted:

a summary, for those of you too lazy to go look

this is... beautiful

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

:aaa: hahahagagahaha

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

hackbunny posted:

well weed is full on legal in a bunch more of the country now

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

well weed is full on legal in a bunch more of the country now

Still illegal federally

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Still illegal federally

the schedule is a bit not right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The :supaburn: Russia hacked the election :supaburn: poo poo doesn't belong here because it's very clearly posturing by the DNC and its surrogates after they royally hosed up

Consider the fact that while the leak happened in September this wasn't news until December

If you believe that poo poo you're a moron

• Locked thread