Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

The Ape of Naples posted:

I'm pretty sure they record all of the best ofs in one day. So the 18th the latest.

I think this year they split it up, because part 3 they made callbacks to the previous episode and had trouble recalling it, and said they recorded the Christmas special and I can't imagine doing that and then 8 more hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
It wouldn't be 8 hours though because they don't actually listen to the clips.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

I didn't think they listened to the clips, but did think they sat in complete silence for the duration of the clip.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I could really do without Ben and Scott's singing. It just feels so forced.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, with this ep and the newest Bolo I'm pretty sick of it.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I still enjoy it.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Listening to #440 the first time, I'm pretty sure Scott is genuinely freaking out when Todd Glass sings over the Plugs theme. Dude sounds kinda pissed and I've never heard Scott not be a goof.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thank goodness intern Gino was there to ruin it the 2nd time.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

when are gringo starr, mall mccartney, and john lennon going to be on together

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
drat I knew scott was a freakin weirdo who thinks everyones always trying to hurt him but I didn't know he thought a complement by definition is untrue.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

caligulamprey posted:

Listening to #440 the first time, I'm pretty sure Scott is genuinely freaking out when Todd Glass sings over the Plugs theme. Dude sounds kinda pissed and I've never heard Scott not be a goof.

To be fair to him, a listener spent a lot of time making that and Todd can't shut up for the length of a short song.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Scott is just pretending to be annoyed rather than being genuinely pissed in that moment.

He did that during a lot of interactions with Harris, with Brendon Small's character Willy, and with Mike Hanford's hay bale salesman character from the live tour. He probably got the closest to being legitimately pissed at Hanford for putting the audience through such a boring non-character. One of the main redeeming aspects of the salesman Calvin Redding's appearances was Scott's reaction.

"There's got to be more to this. In my experience as the host of this show, I talk to a lot of unusual people. Sometimes these people will come on and they'll have a profession, but then we'll dig a little deeper and find something interesting about them."

"I'm looking into buying a Corvette."

"Alright, I'll bite. Let's go with it."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He appreciated the character in the best of without just complimenting himself :shrug:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
I don't think I like Ben Schwartz anymore.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tatumje posted:

Scott is just pretending to be annoyed rather than being genuinely pissed in that moment.

He did that during a lot of interactions with Harris, with Brendon Small's character Willy, and with Mike Hanford's hay bale salesman character from the live tour. He probably got the closest to being legitimately pissed at Hanford for putting the audience through such a boring non-character. One of the main redeeming aspects of the salesman Calvin Redding's appearances was Scott's reaction.

"There's got to be more to this. In my experience as the host of this show, I talk to a lot of unusual people. Sometimes these people will come on and they'll have a profession, but then we'll dig a little deeper and find something interesting about them."

I remember something like that with Paul Brittain when he was doing a character who just worked at an ice cream shop or something (and scott kept trying to make him a murderer/member of ISIS or w/e)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Watch The Earliest Show and the love will come right back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tatumje posted:

Mike Hanford's hay bale salesman character from the live tour. He probably got the closest to being legitimately pissed at Hanford for putting the audience through such a boring non-character. One of the main redeeming aspects of the salesman Calvin Redding's appearances was Scott's reaction.

I haven't heard the first appearance yet, just the one in Australia and I went through so many emotions while he was doing his bit.

"Wait, I'm not laughing like... at all... am I completely missing why this is funny? Am I not tracking properly?"
"Wow, Scott really bit at him there... I kinda agree but that felt pretty cruel. Or was it a joke like PFT does?"
*10 more minutes of rambling from Mike*
"Oh yeah, this is loving great."

It's good they acknowledged it on the countdown too, that's a special kind of skill to have people listen to every word you say but go absolutely loving nowhere with it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

I haven't heard the first appearance yet, just the one in Australia and I went through so many emotions while he was doing his bit.

"Wait, I'm not laughing like... at all... am I completely missing why this is funny? Am I not tracking properly?"
"Wow, Scott really bit at him there... I kinda agree but that felt pretty cruel. Or was it a joke like PFT does?"
*10 more minutes of rambling from Mike*
"Oh yeah, this is loving great."

Yeah that's Stockholm Syndrome.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I somehow missed the Apple Tree Episode and holy gently caress how was that not on the list.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I think he and Horatio have a good chemistry for the new year's shows. He has the best reactions to Horatio's hilarious, intentionally-awful character building. This last episode veered way too hard into solo-bolo-fuckery, though, so I could definitely use a break or a change in how Ben approaches the show. The solo bolo stuff is funny at times but it's currently stagnant.

Time Bobby is veering on that same issue but I think having three people allows them to at least gently caress a bit with the format.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

I somehow missed the Apple Tree Episode and holy gently caress how was that not on the list.

Same. I skipped it because Paul Reiser seems like one of those old-timer guests that would just give a boring, rote comedian interview and wouldn't really be able to run with the bit. Or even worse, would try and fall on his face. However, he did an admirable job and Small knocked it out of the park once again.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Willy has turned into one of my favorite characters because of how much he pisses off Scott.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

I don't know why it took me so long to "get" Victor and Tiny (and Willy) but it just clicked for me a couple weeks ago and I've been listening to all of Brendon Small's appearances basically on repeat since then. Other than Andy Daly I don't think anyone is as consistently hilarious. He's also really brilliant on an early episode of With Special Guest as a deadpan film historian.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Victor's Riddle me This breakdown was the moment where I fell in love with Victor and Tiny.

Also why have they not played any games in forever?

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know this will make people hate me but it's ok because I'm drunk. I much prefer Solos Bolos to Victor and Tiny and I don't even like Solo Bolos that much. *whips out pen knife*

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I know this will make people hate me but it's ok because I'm drunk. I much prefer Solos Bolos to Victor and Tiny and I don't even like Solo Bolos that much. *whips out pen knife*

I definitely wouldn't go that far, since I think Solo Bolos are unlistenable garbage, but Victor and Tiny are just okay for me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think that (besides them being hilarious) I was on board for Victor and Tiny immediately because Brendon Small essentially plays Victor on Home Movies and Tiny on Venture Bros and I love them both very much. It's also what both characters look like in my mind.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Oh...dude :( Victor & Tiny are the best. *extremely Willy voice* and Willy is good too!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

piratepilates posted:

To be fair to him, a listener spent a lot of time making that and Todd can't shut up for the length of a short song.
Scott insisting that the dude took spent a lot of time working on it and he probably wanted to hear his plugs theme definitely made me think it was real mad and not fake mad. Nick Wiger (of Monster gently caress fame) mentioned on the Doughboys podcast Scott was quick to anger, and that idea fascinates me since I've never seen the guy not be delightful.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 5, 2017

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

caligulamprey posted:

Scott insisting that the dude took spent a lot of time working on it and he probably wanted to hear his plugs theme definitely made me think it was real made and not fake mad. Nick Wiger (of Monster gently caress fame) mentioned on the Doughboys podcast Scott was quick to anger, and that idea fascinates me since I've never seen the guy not be delightful.

I can see it. It definitely started showing towards the end of the live tour.

I know PFT is also quick to anger, so now I can only imagine the soul shattering experience of both of them yelling at you at a live show.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Again, Scott thinks compliments are by definition false. He's an insane person looking for a reason to finally kill something. I don't think I can support the ew scripps podcasting network, knowing what I know about the man who leads it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The difference is Paul F Tompkins is extremely gracious in person and jovial to strangers. If you compliment Scott Aukerman (which I did) even if its in a controlled environment (A party where it was literally only other comedy people) he still reacts like I'm some weirdo asking for an autograph after I broke into his apartment.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Besser is quick to anger too. I wonder if that's a common thing. I wonder if I can soften my fits of abuse to people by implying that I might have a sense of humor too.
Edit: To be fair, I wouldn't know how to react to a compliment either. Though I've never even taken so much as a good deuce that anyone would appreciate.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I feel like Besser is quick to anger too. I wonder if that's a common thing. I wonder if I can soften my fits of abuse to people by implying that I might have a sense of humor too.
Edit: To be fair, I wouldn't know how to react to a compliment either. Though I've never even taken so much as a good deuce that anyone would appreciate.

People going in to comedy don't seem to be well-balanced generally.

Shunkymonky
Sep 10, 2006
'sup
Auckerman's reaction anytime an engineer talks on an episode of Comedy Bang Bang seems to be laced with anger. The main two that come to mind is Cody on the first Hollywood Handbook episode - "thanks for jumping on mic" which is silly since he's already part of the mythos of HH - and then there was another uncomfortable one with a female engineer that joined in on the improv but I can't remember anything else about the episode.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He's gotten pretty mad at people for not taking his games seriously before, though that's understandable. In an early episode he made a big deal out of not wanting people posting anything negative about the show on twitter too, and he was super passive aggressive about people not liking the non-Suicide House Halloween episode. If a director or showrunner talked about fan response like that, people would probably call it a meltdown.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
See also: Doug Benson who will not only snap on his guests or crowd, but then berate them for the entire episode of Doug Loves Movies. And then recall that anger repeatedly over the next x number of episodes.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
People loving up or not playing along is definitely infuriating, but is also good radio (podcasts). Some of my favorite bits from Howard Stern have come from people screwing up and Howard getting super angry about it. Similarly, Engineer Cody Cody failing the most important thing he does and dropping an ESPN stream about Steph Curry into a live podcast recording was a major fuckup, but also totally hilarious.

e: Think about it this way, in just about any other job, someone loving up would be an actual problem as opposed to entertainment because just about any other job isn't entertainment. Just because a screwup or non-entertaining guest ends up being funny to listen to doesn't mean it isn't frustrating to deal with at the time.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 5, 2017

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shunkymonky posted:

Auckerman's reaction anytime an engineer talks on an episode of Comedy Bang Bang seems to be laced with anger. The main two that come to mind is Cody on the first Hollywood Handbook episode - "thanks for jumping on mic" which is silly since he's already part of the mythos of HH - and then there was another uncomfortable one with a female engineer that joined in on the improv but I can't remember anything else about the episode.

As a former recording engineer the Earwolf engineers have it pretty cozy. They deserve any derision they get. The last best of Cody start's playing a loving basketball game in the middle of the recording. Anywhere else you'd be fired. It's easy as a tech to get sucked into thinking you're one team but I've gotten gigs more than once when better engineers thought they could start butting in on the creative side. It's drilled into as an loving intern. I can't blame Scott one bit. It's such a cushy gig that the fact they they routinely gently caress off is insane to me.

Hey Scott! PM me. I even have another SM7 to add to the arsenal.

/drunken jealous rant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
this reminds me that the funniest live Comedy Bang Bang I've ever seen was the one where they were under a larger venue where the band American Football was sound-checking and Scott, Jason Mantzoukas, and PFT as Werner Herzog were getting progressively angrier while Todd Barry didn't give a poo poo

I guess they didn't hold it against them since Scott invited them on a later show