Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Sorry for double post but a couple other TAS thoughts. Bones seems way more antagonistic towards Spock, like out of character so. Also one episode ended with Sulu doing kung fu and describing himself as inscrutable, which is so different from TOS that seemed to go out of its way to avoid racial and ethnic stereotypes, Scotty excluded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namaer posted:

which is so different from TOS that seemed to go out of its way to avoid racial and ethnic stereotypes, Scotty excluded.

And Chekov!

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

My favorite Chekov TOS moment was where he did his whole "x was really invented in Russia" thing, and after everyone shook their head and dismissed him he just smiled to himself.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

MrJacobs posted:

It was in the background of some TOS episodes. Sorry.

I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure we saw an Antares-class vessel WAYYY early on in Charlie-X. It was called uh, the Antares as I recall :v: Charlie destroys it and everyone on board and, hilariously, the godlike being voiced by Doohan at the end is just like 'lolnup' and can't save the people on THAT ship but he can save all the Enterprise people that Charlie hosed with (even the ones who suffocated because they had skin over their faces I guess?). But everyone on the Antares was just hosed because Charlie made a baffle plat vanish.

What is a baffle plate

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

A baffle is a Bolian waffle.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

kaworu posted:

I was gonna say, I'm pretty sure we saw an Antares-class vessel WAYYY early on in Charlie-X. It was called uh, the Antares as I recall :v: Charlie destroys it and everyone on board and, hilariously, the godlike being voiced by Doohan at the end is just like 'lolnup' and can't save the people on THAT ship but he can save all the Enterprise people that Charlie hosed with (even the ones who suffocated because they had skin over their faces I guess?). But everyone on the Antares was just hosed because Charlie made a baffle plat vanish.

What is a baffle plate

It only showed up in TAS and was added in the remasters later for TOS. So TAS is cannon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The TAS one was unmanned, then for TOS-R they Cgi'd up a manned version with a crew module add-on.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Namaer posted:

My favorite Chekov TOS moment was where he did his whole "x was really invented in Russia" thing, and after everyone shook their head and dismissed him he just smiled to himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC6W8J0j8Co

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The face the random blueshirt extra makes when Kirk owns Sulu towards the end is fantastic.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

kaworu posted:

What is a baffle plate

Uh, it's a plate which baffles things? Jesus, it's like you don't know a loving thing about astronautical design.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Uh, it's a plate which baffles things? Jesus, it's like you don't know a loving thing about astronautical design.

Obviously it works on him too.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/EnsCuddlesHuman/status/816800540759822340

Dog to be executed for stepping in a flower bed.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

That dog looks like it's seen some poo poo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Namaer posted:

That dog looks like it's seen some poo poo.

He has to play "wesley and the traveler" every night to get his dindins

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I wonder if Shatner threw a sabotage type tantrum over the name Kukulkan in TAS's penultimate episode. He doesn't pronounce it right a single time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Namaer posted:

I wonder if Shatner threw a sabotage type tantrum over the name Kukulkan in TAS's penultimate episode. He doesn't pronounce it right a single time.

Never attribute to malice what could just as easily be incompetence.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Two things in Voyager that made me laugh for some positivity about it:

The Federation time cop that Janeway got stranded in 20th century Earth for 30 years shows up again to save Voyager from a time bomb. They find out the bad guy is his future self who hates Janeway for constantly loving around with time and ruining his life. The present version had no idea about any of this but gets arrested anyway and then the time cops send Janeway back in time to stop his future self.

There's a weird running joke about Bolians destroying toilets with their powerful alien shits.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Axanar lost their claim of fair use and the case is moving to a jury trial.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/05/star-trek-fan-film-loses-fair-use-case-moves-to-jury-trial/

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Namaer posted:

He may well have been taping his dialogue somewhere else and mailing it in. I'm pretty sure that's what Nimoy did.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pwnstar posted:

There's a weird running joke about Bolians destroying toilets with their powerful alien shits.

You'd think Starfleet would just hire some Bolians to do their waste plumbing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Axanar lost their claim of fair use and the case is moving to a jury trial.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/05/star-trek-fan-film-loses-fair-use-case-moves-to-jury-trial/

Some of the documents that have come out in discovery are absolutely delicious. This is going to be fun.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

He may well have been taping his dialogue somewhere else and mailing it in. I'm pretty sure that's what Nimoy did.

Yep. Shatner was touring at the time so he mailed tapes to Filmation. Nimoy alternated between going to the Filmation studio and sending in tapes from wherever he was at the moment.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I saw a guy at a bar wearing a S1 Wesley Crusher hoodie. One of these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/1e7b/

I think that dog pulls it off better.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Remember when Wesley was an adult and was still wearing the awful sweater?

Oh it makes me laugh so.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I still think they should have inserted adult Wil Wheaton into that episode when they did the remasters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Apollodorus posted:

I still think they should have inserted adult Wil Wheaton into that episode when they did the remasters.

Q was trying to impress him, not horrify him

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Remember when Wesley was an adult and was still wearing the awful sweater?

Oh it makes me laugh so.

I wonder if tweeting that pic to Wil Wheaton's twitter account will get you blocked as quickly as a "SHUT UP WESLEY"?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I hope that actor goes to cons and hangs out in the sweater, bugging Wheaton.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Timby posted:

Some of the documents that have come out in discovery are absolutely delicious. This is going to be fun.

Please go on. The posts from Anaxar are incredibly long and so many articles online are just nerds frothing at the mouth so I'd be super appreciative of a TLDR.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

I just started watching Wrath of Khan, is it explained later why Kirstie Alley curses to herself? That seems super out of character for a Vulcan. Is she half Vulcan, or bad writing.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Also how do they make sure that no one cracks their head open while flying around the bridge during a simulation?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

Please go on. The posts from Anaxar are incredibly long and so many articles online are just nerds frothing at the mouth so I'd be super appreciative of a TLDR.

- Alec Peters has been taking money out of donor funds to cover personal expenses for himself, his girlfriend and Robert Meyer Burnett -- rent / utilities, car bills, cell phone bills, etc. He did so by having the bank issue debit cards linked to the Axanar bank account. Tens of thousands of dollars' worth of Peters' restaurant meals were found to be paid for with donor funds

- Peters met with both Netflix and Amazon to talk about them acquiring Axanar and having it run as a series on the platform -- brazenly admitting that he wanted to make cash off Star Trek without a license

- Axanar Productions' internal marketing plan has several money-making efforts listed in it, making it clear that Axanar Studios was always intended as a profit center

- For years, Alec Peters was sending emails to both CBS and Paramount, trying to get other fan film productions shut down, saying they were infringing on copyright. Peters denied that claim, and then CBS produced a whole bunch of emails from him

- Alec Peters attempted to convince Dave Galanter, an author under exclusive contract to CBS to write Star Trek books, to write a series of Axanar books under a pseudonym

Don't forget that they still continue to take donor money, and it wasn't until like six months ago that they stopped promoting Tony Todd as being part of the film (when Todd actually left like a year and a half ago, over not being paid -- and he had also been led to believe that Axanar was an official CBS production).

Namaer posted:

I just started watching Wrath of Khan, is it explained later why Kirstie Alley curses to herself? That seems super out of character for a Vulcan. Is she half Vulcan, or bad writing.

As written, she's half-Romulan. In the trailer shown at ShoWest back in 1982, there's some extended footage of Kirk and Spock after the Kobayashi Maru, in which Spock notes that "the admixture makes her more volatile."

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Yikes that's some shady poo poo, makes sense why CBS/Paramount is coming after them so hard now.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

Timby posted:

As written, she's half-Romulan. In the trailer shown at ShoWest back in 1982, there's some extended footage of Kirk and Spock after the Kobayashi Maru, in which Spock notes that "the admixture makes her more volatile."

That makes a lot more sense, I guess I haven't gotten to the Saavik exposition dump in the movie yet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Namaer posted:

That makes a lot more sense, I guess I haven't gotten to the Saavik exposition dump in the movie yet.

It never makes it into the final film.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

It never makes it into the final film.

And Nimoy didn't like Alley's performance, which is why he had Robin Curtis act like a robot in the next two movies.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

Timby posted:

- For years, Alec Peters was sending emails to both CBS and Paramount, trying to get other fan film productions shut down, saying they were infringing on copyright. Peters denied that claim, and then CBS produced a whole bunch of emails from him

So you have a link or a reference for this? I could really use it to shut someone up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

S.D. posted:

So you have a link or a reference for this? I could really use it to shut someone up.

Axamonitor.com is pretty exhaustive.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I feel like making her half Romulan isn't necessary. Unless humans are uniquely the only species that has differences in personality between members, I think it simply being a quirk of her personality makes it more interesting.

One of the things Enterprise did well was flesh and out the Vulcans. Sure, they did it mostly by having them be assholes, but it added some dimension. Then there was also their militarism which was another interesting aspect which was ruined when they had to "explain" it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

S.D. posted:

Right here, page 9.

quote:

Mr. Peters was also fully aware of the infringing nature of his activities, as over the course of several years, Mr. Peters (a trained attorney) repeatedly sent CBS notices informing CBS that Mr. Peters believed that other entities and fan film creators were engaging in "infringing" conduct. Again, Mr. Peters did not turn over these communications in discovery, although CBS did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In the novelization, her being half Romulan works because it gives more resonance with her relationship with Spock as a mentor. They are both half breeds that are struggling to come to terms with their emotional sides.