Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Ash1138 posted:

i can only sort of follow your posts on this subject, but i still like them a lot

Hav appears to be a literal genius and I love reading his views and posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Milky Moor posted:

You have 1400 posts in total. You have exactly twelve posts which aren't related to Star Citizen. That isn't even a full percentage point.

My conclusion is that you have some kind of crippling brain disease.

I feel like my ratio is way worse than MoMA's to be perfectly honest. Worst brain disease wins!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Evil_Greven posted:

PlanetSide was superior to its sequel in most respects.

I completely agree, couldn't get into ps2, it lost the character of the original imho.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Full

Of

poo poo
what a game to go out on

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

spacetoaster posted:

Has anyone ever hidden in a box on a truck and then ambushed the driver while he's driving down the interstate?

There is nothing as invigorating as the feeling of being in a box for 14 hours before jumping out into a shipping center and yelling "freeze!" at all of the stunned shipping people.

It's only until the guy with the forklift license stops, the smell of indoor propane burning fumes filling your nose, and says, "What the gently caress lady?" before you know that you have won. His sweat covered arms debased with 41 year old tattoos he got in a now closed tattoo parlor somewhere in California.

Of course he never expected the end result as he had to face head to head with the unfortunate consequences of surprise piracy.

Victory for the Stimperor, one small postal center at a time. :clint:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Titanic posted:

There is nothing as invigorating as the feeling of being in a box for 14 hours before jumping out into a shipping center and yelling "freeze!" at all of the stunned shipping people.

It's only until the guy with the forklift license stops, the smell of indoor propane burning fumes filling your nose, and says, "What the gently caress lady?" before you know that you have won. His sweat covered arms debased with 41 year old tattoos he got in a now closed tattoo parlor somewhere in California.

Of course he never expected the end result as he had to face head to head with the unfortunate consequences of surprise piracy.

Victory for the Stimperor, one small postal center at a time. :clint:

Is this game on Steam yet?

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
hey moma what's your take on this whole drunk/molestasaurus scandal that's been going on?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello

all of these are god knows how credible
  • chris roberts is transitioning away from any game or art design to focus more on company matters
  • someone close to chris (sean tracy??) will be handling all end stage design and art approvals
  • expect 3.0 features in 2018 at the minimum
  • sqlude is still scheduled for this year
  • sqlude is working off a different engine branch than 2.6/3.0 (???)
  • mocapped assets are undergoing redesigns (again)
  • some mocapped characters have changed due to rewrites, causing dialogue to be re-recorded
  • crawling/wall/fast attacking vanduul were too "problematic," will now stand and fire normally
  • AI still broken (shooting through walls, instakilling the player, animations not firing correctly, spazzing out into the great beyond on death anim)
  • netcode still broken
  • updated design docs are forthcoming and will detail some "minor" changes to scope
  • larger ships with full player crews will be hamstrung fighting against AI ships until problems are fixed
  • larger battles are still not possible (2018/2019 minimum) and SC will focus more on smaller player driven skirmishes
  • end year sales "barely put our nostrils above water"

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5m1ltg/ask_a_game_dev_a_excellent_tumblr_about_game/

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

hello

• chris roberts is transitioning away from any game or art design to focus more on company matters
  • someone close to chris (sean tracy??) will be handling all end stage design and art approvals
  • some mocapped characters have changed due to rewrites, causing dialogue to be re-recorded
  • crawling/wall/fast attacking vanduul were too "problematic," will now stand and fire normally
  • AI still broken (shooting through walls, instakilling the player, animations not firing correctly, spazzing out into the great beyond on death anim)
  • netcode still broken
  • updated design docs are forthcoming and will detail some "minor" changes to scope
  • larger ships with full player crews will be hamstrung fighting against AI ships until problems are fixed
  • larger battles are still not possible (2018/2019 minimum) and SC will focus more on smaller player driven skirmishes

Tldr: everything still broken

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

TheAgent posted:

hello

• netcode still broken

The wall crawling abandonment is good. Can't solve a problem that Rebellion Software handled okay with Aliens vs Predator 17 years ago.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Full

Of

poo poo
WTF finally sneaks into the top 200 of players after grinding for 30 days straight. Good job.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ComfyPants posted:

The wall crawling abandonment is good. Can't solve a problem that Rebellion Software handled okay with Aliens vs Predator 17 years ago.

Chris was having trouble getting John Rhys-Davies to stick to the walls. Everyone who knows anything about game development knows motion capture is how you do everything.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Tut tut, MoMA telling naughty fibs again.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheAgent posted:

hello

• netcode still broken

I know this is all bullshit because CIG never had design docs to begin with.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Speaking of, have they already stopped updating their super open and you see what we see honest guys developement tracker ?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They are going to wait till Feb or Mar to post the 3.0 timeline and its going to be two months out before it goes "live" only to get delayed a week at time till it releases badly broken on june with promises that they are going to have everything sorted out with 3.1, which will be livestreamed later in gamescom. Of course they fail to have that out by gamescom.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

The guy who strems star citizen for a living is socially retarded. surprise surprise.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Seriously, gently caress the whole Most Open Development Ever, bullshit. This is the most open development ever:

Updates, day to day changes, long and short term plans: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Long term plans that don't change on a whim: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
Actual, not lying current feature list: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/features.html
Open bug tracking: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php
Honest and open QA and articles from many sources: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_talk.html
Email actual people: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/contact.html
Even more updates and plans: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=4020854bd26dc70704ae8e9bdb3a2516&board=10.0

And has been doing this for years. Without boasting. And it is crowd funded. And it actually exists and always has.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

I said the same thing though. I'm not going to go search now, but I'm 100% positive that I said they can release a few levels as a teaser.

I wish you'd tease my balls with a hickory switch.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Evil_Greven posted:

PlanetSide was superior to its sequel in most respects.

Having gone back to the original Planetside a number of years after the fact and having played Planetside 2 I feel there is a whole shitload of nostalgia in your statement. Planetside was not a particularly good game, and it didn't actually work well at all.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

Speaking of, have they already stopped updating their super open and you see what we see honest guys developement tracker ?

That was for 2.6, it's done and released now goonie, check and mate

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You know the dumb thing about Chris' immersion strategy is that while it aims to recreate "real life" visuals by adding more polygons, nature contains barely any polygons at all

That's the dumb thing.

Every three atoms form a polygon if you really think about it. Nature is nothing but polygons.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sappo569 posted:

2.6 is out commando. No need to discuss anything further.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yo, don't doxx me bro.

Fear not bread friend, itt cunts are sucked, not doxxed.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

I don't have a blog.

Or a house.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Madcosby posted:

Uh... anyone?

I was going to reply but. Meh. It'll go over their heads.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

TheAgent posted:

hello

• netcode still broken

ok now post all the hatemail.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Be sure to remind this one of his words in the future :D

Ha, he edited it for more hilarity

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 5, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

scrubs season six posted:

Every three atoms form a polygon if you really think about it. Nature is nothing but polygons.

Roberts split the atoms into smaller polygons.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

TheAgent posted:

hello

• netcode still broken

Prediction: cig rolls 3.0 out in a few months, with a dramatically reduced feature set. CR makes a bunch of excuses, and MOMA accepts the excuses as fact and declares that 3.0 was delivered feature complete as promised. This coincides with a ship sale of course. Oh and Derek blogs about how he predicted the above sentence, but it's waiting too clear legal.

What has happened before will happen again. What has been done before will be done again. There is nothing new in the whole 'verse.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Do you think Ben's penis looks like a pig tail?

I think it looks like a second, lower belly button.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

In some alternate universe where this game eventually comes to fruition, I'm trying to figure out how 1,000,000 different opinions on how gameplay will not match their individual expectations. How will they reconcile that fact?

The infighting will make the dreams collapse into a neutron star.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

scrubs season six posted:

I think it looks like a second, lower belly button.

i think it's probably indistinguishable from all the dimples and creases on his disgusting body.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
You know what's funny? All of the crazy Star Citizen community stuff is ON TOP OF THE FACT THAT THEY'RE NERDS!

I mean we all here are as well so we don't tend to think about it but that doesn't make it disappear or any less funny.

I mean grow up and get a girlfriend lol.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Colostomy Bag posted:

In some alternate universe where this game eventually comes to fruition, I'm trying to figure out how 1,000,000 different opinions on how gameplay will not match their individual expectations. How will they reconcile that fact?

The infighting will make the dreams collapse into a neutron star.

The infighting is already intense. Just look at how PvE vs PvP arguments or conflicts of HOTAS vs MKB got. Every time CIG releases something it just pisses people off.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Unfortunately CIG's art direction, like everything else, is limited by the imagination of its creative director. Color is just one example. There's little inspiration with respect to any aspect of the game, from the appearance of characters to the starships to even the lore itself. It's pretty sad when the story of Star Citizen (the project) is more interesting and immersive than the story of Star Citizen (the game).

I feel like a lot of it is that Star Citizen has no soul. It has no defining characteristics or rules that dictate how things look or how the universe operates. If you look at something out of Star Wars or Star Trek you can associate it with that universe. Firefly did the same thing by focusing on a western, frontier aesthetic. Elite has largely done the same thing (although I think the Guatamaya ships are a bit out of synch). Wing Commander (the game) did as well with their jets in space and open hangars trying to create a WW2 look within the limitations of the technology. In WC1/2 the ships were bright and colorful, with distinctive silhouettes that attempted to evoke the look of a WW2 space plane. Between WC1 and WC2 the emphasis was placed on increasing the style by using the extra pixels to add paneling in a manner that suggested a riveted warbird. This aesthetic was also transitioned over to the Kilrathi ships, which had a distinct look but retained a "riveted together" appearance. Privateer also follows this aesthetic even with the alien Selkath craft which have a paneled look. The same thing is visible in the cut scenes, and in the inside of the cockpits. Incidentally the limited viewspace of the cockpits was a technical trick; the less you could see out the window the less you had to render.

Curiously Privateer shows an interesting turning point for Wing Commander. While the ships are still sprites they were clearly based off of 3D models. If you compare the difference between ships featured in the first WC and Privateer you can clearly see that the color palette is now muted. We see the same thing happen in later WC ships. As more freedom allows for more detail, it seems to come at the expense of color. This continues in the Wing Commander movie and ultimately now in CR's latest release.

Unfortunately the technological freedom of Star Citizen has resulted in a mish-mash of creative ideas with little in the way of a unifying appearance. Vanduul, Xian, Banu, and Human ships have little to suggest they're part of the same universe. Even the different Human manufacturers take wildly different approaches and leave a lot to be desired. Why does a Hornet have massive "hydrogen scoops" and wings but the Aurora has neither but relies on fans? Why does Drake have everything from a wingless stump of a ship in the Herald to a Cutlass to a space-jet Buccaneer? Where is the unifying theme? What universal rules bring everything together? I would argue there are none, and instead the various ships reflect the lack of vision of the creator. Given the freedom to do anything, Chris Roberts chooses to do everything.

Back on the Overwatch horse, that does a pretty lovely job of being bright, vivid, and colorful while still maintaining a solid, sci fi aesthetic with some coherence.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 5, 2017

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The infighting is already intense. Just look at how PvE vs PvP arguments or conflicts of HOTAS vs MKB got. Every time CIG releases something it just pisses people off.

The best thing CIG ever managed was making people not care about all those things. Like promises in the wind. Easy money baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

Reminder that MOMA has literally never posted in any SA thread except this one.

Wonder why that is.

Hell, even I post in other threads.

Tithe rendered.

https://gfycat.com/ImpoliteSinfulBuzzard

EDIT: Quit fixing crap that isn't broken, Forums!

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 5, 2017