Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
If I buy Rights of Man will it break my savegames even If I started them recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mechanical Ape posted:

Thanks! That would make a fine goal in a future run: to project westward far enough that it's worth it to move my trade capital.

I don't think that's a very good idea actually. Novgorod is a pretty good node to dominate and collect in because it only has two downstream nodes - the Baltic and the White Sea, which you should already dominate as Russia. The Baltic is a much better buffer node than Lubeck, which is filled with a ton of imperial OPMs with lots of trade power bonuses. The Baltic is much easier to dominate as a buffer, especially if you can break up Denmark's union over Sweden.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

If I buy Rights of Man will it break my savegames even If I started them recently?

DLCs don't break saves, but patches do. If you're on the current patch, you're fine.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

You probably won't be able to play them while RoM is enabled (this is usually how it works, but I don't know about RoM specifically). You can disable RoM from the launcher, which will definitely let you play those saved games if there's an issue

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

In my experience, it doesn't break the saves, but it does disable achievements.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

QuarkJets posted:

For AE effects, this is already built in; you get more AE with countries of the same religion as whoever you are conquering

I'm saying that using the holy war CB (instead of no-CB or a different CB) shouldn't reduce the AE you get with co-religionists of the target. Or are you saying this is the case already?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I'm saying that using the holy war CB (instead of no-CB or a different CB) shouldn't reduce the AE you get with co-religionists of the target. Or are you saying this is the case already?

I'm saying that it sort of balances out since the same-religion AE penalty is 50 percent (25 for a similar, heathen religion) and is additive. I understand that what you are saying is that the Deus Vult CB probably shouldn't decrease the AE among same religion nations, for thematic reasons, which I guess is valid but I don't know if I would want Paradox actually spending time on it (it doesn't seem like there's a system for nullifying the AE bonus of a CB with specific countries, just additive and multiplicative AE effects)

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

QuarkJets posted:

I'm saying that it sort of balances out since the same-religion AE penalty is 50 percent (25 for a similar, heathen religion) and is additive. I understand that what you are saying is that the Deus Vult CB probably shouldn't decrease the AE among same religion nations, for thematic reasons, which I guess is valid but I don't know if I would want Paradox actually spending time on it (it doesn't seem like there's a system for nullifying the AE bonus of a CB with specific countries, just additive and multiplicative AE effects)
Right, well, that doesn't really solve the problem, because eg. taking your cores back from a Christian neighbour should be way less threatening than declaring a jihad against all Christians. And, it's not just holy way - reconquest should scare other people you have cores on, for instance. And you could have a middle ground for countries who you have a different CB on (at least if that CB allows conquest), perhaps.

But sure, I'm not saying it's necessarily something that's particularly important, just that it's the fix for "holy war makes heathens less scared" that makes sense given the rationale for CBs reducing AE in the first place. People are less scared of gains you take in a CB war because you're not just attacking whoever, you're attacking people with reason. But that should be more worrying for people who you also have a good reason to attack!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably go with trade empire Portugal or the furniture kings then

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
How does navy combat work? I assume lots of big ships are still the best by far?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Right, well, that doesn't really solve the problem, because eg. taking your cores back from a Christian neighbour should be way less threatening than declaring a jihad against all Christians. And, it's not just holy way - reconquest should scare other people you have cores on, for instance. And you could have a middle ground for countries who you have a different CB on (at least if that CB allows conquest), perhaps.

But sure, I'm not saying it's necessarily something that's particularly important, just that it's the fix for "holy war makes heathens less scared" that makes sense given the rationale for CBs reducing AE in the first place. People are less scared of gains you take in a CB war because you're not just attacking whoever, you're attacking people with reason. But that should be more worrying for people who you also have a good reason to attack!

This all makes sense, but if they decide to go that way I'd at least like to see the AE reduction from cores/claims take effect when they're not the wargoal. It's kind of weird that for example if you get attacked, win the war and force your enemy to return your cores, you'll take full AE from them (so in a situation like that you're better off taking land you have no cores or claims to).

James The 1st posted:

How does navy combat work? I assume lots of big ships are still the best by far?

You don't wanna make one huge stack of ships like you used to, since they added combat width to naval combat. Spread out your ships and send in reinforcements just like you would in land combat. Also I think heavies take up a lot of combat width, so while they're still great they'll lose to galleys in an inland sea.

Elman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 4, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elman posted:

You don't wanna make one huge stack of ships like you used to, since they added combat width to naval combat. Spread out your ships and send in reinforcements just like you would in land combat.

The fact that this is apparently what you want to do is super disappointing, since it's the worst part about land combat. Battles should just resolve same day, or 1-3 days, though I don't know how you'd ever show that on the UI.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

:bisonyes:

Finally time for me to do a WC.

edit: better view of the swarm:

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 4, 2017

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Tsyni posted:

:bisonyes:

Finally time for me to do a WC.

edit: better view of the swarm:

Although you probably already know this, a great way to do the WC as HRE is to form a snake and feed your vassals. The HRE vassals stay more loyal, and you can just feed them, allowing you to take what would normally be over 100% OE much more easily.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Also I don't think Religious is a very good early choice for Ottomans due to the massive amount of claims you get from missions. Humanist or Admin first is a much better choice, with Religious later on when you're done with the missions.

I feel like Humanist is a waste of an idea slot, it only delays rebellions (at least if you have OE like I do), you still have to deal with them. If you don't play aggressive enough to get rebellions as Ottomans, you're playing them wrong and using Humanist for a first play trough will only teach you bad habits. You will get way more value out of quickly converting provinces and shutting down one rebellion with your army. If you don't learn how to do that early you just hamstring yourself.
Missionary strength is very underrated as well, it's actually better at preventing rebellions than you think because you convert faster, this faster conversion saves a lot of cash too, which can be used for better things like mercenaries to kill rebellions.

For a first game as Ottomans I would recommend Admin/Defensive/Any Dip/Religious/Offensive

Admin/Influence/Aristocracy is actually a viable Ottoman combo too.

One thing you people might forget is the flexibility of Deus Vult, you don't need to be prepared to jump onto someone when they are attacked/weak, you can just do it. I go as far as declaring opportune wars before my troops are even in position these days, this made my way to the WQ so much easier and faster.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

I feel like Humanist is a waste of an idea slot, it only delays rebellions (at least if you have OE like I do), you still have to deal with them. If you don't play aggressive enough to get rebellions as Ottomans, you're playing them wrong and using Humanist for a first play trough will only teach you bad habits. You will get way more value out of quickly converting provinces and shutting down one rebellion with your army. If you don't learn how to do that early you just hamstring yourself.
Missionary strength is very underrated as well, it's actually better at preventing rebellions than you think because you convert faster, this faster conversion saves a lot of cash too, which can be used for better things like mercenaries to kill rebellions.

For a first game as Ottomans I would recommend Admin/Defensive/Any Dip/Religious/Offensive

Admin/Influence/Aristocracy is actually a viable Ottoman combo too.

One thing you people might forget is the flexibility of Deus Vult, you don't need to be prepared to jump onto someone when they are attacked/weak, you can just do it. I go as far as declaring opportune wars before my troops are even in position these days, this made my way to the WQ so much easier and faster.

No I don't think anyone has forgotten that, I'm pretty sure it's the main reason that people take Religious ideas, he's just pointed out that Ottomans get a ton of free conquest and reconquest CBs throughout the early and middle game, like way more than any other nation. If you want to go in a direction that you don't have a mission for and that is also a different religion, then Religious can be a good pick for that reason, but most of the early Ottoman paths for expansion are Sunni and the CB doesn't work for those paths

That no-exploits 1.19 Ryuku WC posted a few pages ago actually took both Religious and Humanist (as Idea groups 4 and 2, respectively) because he wanted the incredibly flexible CB and the conversion bonuses but also wanted to negate revolts

In a good first game as Ottomans you can probably ramp up into the Unify Islam achievement, Religious ideas would help a lot with that.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 4, 2017

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm playing as Muscovy and considering what to pick as my third national idea, I've picked defensive and administrative already. Religious seems fun but I could do with influence or another military idea, but I'm really bad at this game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:gonk:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
What the hell happened to Austria?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I haven't the slightest idea, they were just gone.

But it appears Castile still has one province near the straight, and Spain has the mission to finish the Reconquista. So they're not likely to remain for long.

Poil fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 4, 2017

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Looks like they might have ended up in a personal union under Salzburg and then annexed? Presumable the same thing happened to Spain which happened in the opposite direction in my current game (also England being PUed by Sweden/Scandinavia for 300 years)

I just noticed in my current game that there are two achievements that make the exact same joke ("One King to Rule" and "One Family to Rule them All", the latter having the Eye of Sauron as its achievement picture so it's definitely the same joke). Poor form Paradox.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Poil posted:

I haven't the slightest idea, they were just gone.

But it appears Castile still has one province near the straight, and Spain has the mission to finish the Reconquista. So they're not likely to remain for long.

To the timeline!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Star posted:

To the timeline!
It looks like they remained pretty much the same and just recently got eaten by Salzburg, Venice and Palatinate in one war.

Baron Corbyn posted:

Looks like they might have ended up in a personal union under Salzburg and then annexed? Presumable the same thing happened to Spain which happened in the opposite direction in my current game (also England being PUed by Sweden/Scandinavia for 300 years)
Sort of, Aragon got France in a PU way early and ate most of Iberia together with Morocco. Aragon formed Spain and freed Portugal, not necessarily in that order.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Although you probably already know this, a great way to do the WC as HRE is to form a snake and feed your vassals. The HRE vassals stay more loyal, and you can just feed them, allowing you to take what would normally be over 100% OE much more easily.

Yeah, that's the plan. I couldn't set up snakes perfectly optimally because my giant Spain lesser partner is blocking north africa, but I can just feed it to them. I don't think they'll get too uppity.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

I'm playing as Muscovy and considering what to pick as my third national idea, I've picked defensive and administrative already. Religious seems fun but I could do with influence or another military idea, but I'm really bad at this game.

You probably want a diplomatic idea set. For future reference, it's generally advised to pick diplomatic ideas first, since diplo points are probably the least important of the three and you can't afford to be behind on military tech.

But yeah, Influence is great for the aggressive expansion reduction.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I've got a quick question- I should be giving gold provinces to my merchant guild estate right? Especially is autonomy is above 0.00% right?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Angry Lobster posted:

Jay Rust posted:

You probably want a diplomatic idea set. For future reference, it's generally advised to pick diplomatic ideas first, since diplo points are probably the least important of the three and you can't afford to be behind on military tech.

But yeah, Influence is great for the aggressive expansion reduction.

Religious is golden for Muscovy. You're surrounded by heathens and you get missions for Novgorod. Opening with 2/3 admin ideas is probably not super optimal. I pretty much never take an admin idea first. So...it's hard to say, but taking religious at some point is going to make things a lot easier for you. Definitely take a diplo next though, you'll be drowning in diplo points otherwise. Influence or Diplomatic would be good. Could try and jump off Norway and go for Exploration, if you're feeling adventurous.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My new favorite thing is to go whole hog and grab Humanist as early as possible, for Better Relations (making expansion easier), no revolts (making expansion easier), and the Idea cost reduction (which is better the earlier you are in the game)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I've got a quick question- I should be giving gold provinces to my merchant guild estate right? Especially is autonomy is above 0.00% right?

No reason not to, if you don't mind the min-autonomy on the other 2 stats

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I forget the specifics, but I know for sure that the normal estate-negating-autonomy thing doesn't work on gold, and I'm pretty certain it doesn't give you a bonus to production even aside from that. It probably won't hurt you but there's not really any benefit to it either.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I just started as Austria and all of the electors have a -1000 malus for voting for me, it says "Not Eligible to be the Emperor"...

what?

PleasingFungus posted:

do you have a female ruler or heir

This just happened to me and i'm confused.

Had a Maximilian who had Maria Theresa as his heir, when he died she popped out little Franz, who took the throne three years later when Theresa died.

I got the -1000 malus when Maria get named heir due to being female, i maintained the malus when she was elected and Franz was the heir and now that he's in power and i have a male heir i'm still -1000,even though the HRE is under the catholic league.

What the hell?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Jay Rust posted:

This seems like good advice, but now that Development is a thing, it's less of a thing I think. Unless you're going to be colonizing, the Diplo idea groups are just so much less helpful than Admin and Military ones early on, and there's always a use for a surplus of diplomatic points.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 5, 2017

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Koramei posted:

I forget the specifics, but I know for sure that the normal estate-negating-autonomy thing doesn't work on gold, and I'm pretty certain it doesn't give you a bonus to production even aside from that. It probably won't hurt you but there's not really any benefit to it either.

Yeah Burghers provide production efficiency, which has no impact on gold, although if they're loyal they do provide a 10% goods produced bonus. I would've thought they didn't negatively impact gold production, but they actually do. Some numbers, from day 1 as Hungary (all provinces right culture, right religion, with burghers loyal):
With 0% autonomy, their gold province gives 2.66 gold in production. Assigning to burghers takes it to... 2.20. I assigned a grain province, also with 0% autonomy, to the burghers, and production went from 0.18 to 0.20, as you'd expect. Next up, I gave the burghers the gold province but gave it 100% autonomy... got absolutely nothing from it at all. Even after a monthly tick.

So it looks like autonomy affects gold production directly -- it doesn't change goods produced, so it has to affect it somehow, obviously. But since the burghers only ignore production efficiency, which doesn't impact gold, the autonomy floor takes away a quarter of your gold production, instead of being waived like it is for every other trade good. The 10% goods produced bonus will never outweigh that. That feels like a bug/oversight, tbh, but for now you definitely shouldn't give them any gold provinces. Not even at high autonomy.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 5, 2017

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Allyn posted:

Not even at high autonomy.

Er, surely the burghers won't do any harm at high autonomy?

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Is navy combat width the same as on land?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

Er, surely the burghers won't do any harm at high autonomy?

No, but they'll offer literally no bonuses (except trade power I guess but :geno:), unlike the other two estates. You could just give it to one of them and then revoke it once autonomy's hit the floor and gain, you know, full taxes/manpower that entire time.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Allyn posted:

No, but they'll offer literally no bonuses (except trade power I guess but :geno:), unlike the other two estates. You could just give it to one of them and then revoke it once autonomy's hit the floor and gain, you know, full taxes/manpower that entire time.

the only reason i ever give things to the burghers is for trade power (or, rarely, when fiddling around with loyalty...), so that seems just as applicable for high-autonomy gold provinces as for others.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

the only reason i ever give things to the burghers is for trade power (or, rarely, when fiddling around with loyalty...), so that seems just as applicable for high-autonomy gold provinces as for others.

...uh, yeah? I was adding to a conversation about, specifically, auto-giving gold provinces to the burghers. But that wouldn't be the case if that bug was squashed, and is in fact uneqiuvocally worse than any other trade good province or estate choice because of it right now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

James The 1st posted:

Is navy combat width the same as on land?

Nope, the base is always 25, then modified by admiral maneuver. I dunno how much it gets modified though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
An icon keeps briefly appearing randomly and disappearing so fast that I can't even respond fast enough to pause the game. It has a red background, with a blue and a red flag, with an exclamation mark in between them. What does it mean?

• Locked thread