Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

quote:

At the rendezvous, Mr. Parker handed over the money to a young man who was waiting for him in a parked car. When Mr. Parker paid the ransom, he could see his daughter, Marion, sitting in the passenger seat next to the suspect. As soon as the money was exchanged, the suspect drove off with the victim still in the car. At the end of the street, Marion's corpse was dumped onto the pavement. She was dead. Her legs had been chopped off and her eyes had been wired open to appear as if she was still alive. Her internal organs had been cut out and pieces of her body were later found strewn all over the Los Angeles area.

"this guy loving owns." -ayn rand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Isn't it also not date season at the time?

Yes. The supposed point is that Jesus is a dick who demands his arbitrary uses of power be retroactive justified regardless of what he does some things are so important you can't just wait for them to come into season, but like many biblical metaphors it's confusing and mangled to the point of near incoherence.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yes. The supposed point is that Jesus is a dick who demands his arbitrary uses of power be retroactive justified regardless of what he does some things are so important you can't just wait for them to come into season, but like many biblical metaphors it's confusing and mangled to the point of near incoherence.

Being translated through several languages as oral history before being written down and translated several more times over two thousand years will do this. It's why I can't understand anyone claiming the literal wording of the Bible to justify anything.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Liquid Communism posted:

It's why I can't understand anyone claiming the literal wording of the Bible to justify anything.
The looneys who do that believe that King James got divinely inspired to write the ONE TRUE AND PURE BIBLE IN GOD'S ENGLISH and that all other Bibles are wrong and there's is 100% perfect and infallible.

They are idiots and, like all Protestants, are going to Hell.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'd always thought it was meant to show that critical things like satisfying hunger (or say following Jesus) need to happen now. "It's not the season." is not valid reasoning, and will drat you to be killed by destructive Jesus magic.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
YHWH himself says he's a jealous and petty god, why would his son be any different?

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go order my fedoras alphabetically.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Who What Now posted:

YHWH himself says he's a jealous and petty god, why would his son be any different?

In the KJV "jealous" has changed meaning a bit. These days it means "envious and petty" but back then it meant something like "exclusive relationship" I.e. God doesn't want you fooling around with any of those other gods (monogamy as analogous to monotheism.)

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The looneys who do that believe that King James got divinely inspired to write the ONE TRUE AND PURE BIBLE IN GOD'S ENGLISH and that all other Bibles are wrong and there's is 100% perfect and infallible.

They are idiots and, like all Protestants, are going to Hell.

Yeah KJV mangles all the poetics out of the Bible lol

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hey, if the King James was good enough for the Apostle Paul, it's good enough for you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This keeps popping up in my Facebook as an ad:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

His 5-part essay "Christians in the Hands of an Angry God", which can be summarized as "conservative Christianity is literally Satan worship", is also worth reading.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

His 5-part essay "Christians in the Hands of an Angry God", which can be summarized as "conservative Christianity is literally Satan worship", is also worth reading.

I had to read that for a science fiction literature class

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Pope Guilty posted:

These are some great reads, thanks.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I had to read that for a science fiction literature class

Wait, what?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VitalSigns posted:

I am pretty sure Ayn Rand never went to parties.
Who is Carson Sand?

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Pope Guilty posted:

Wait, what?

It was a class about post-apocalyptic literature, and it turns out that divine retribution is one of the big themes in that genre. We read that essay after reading A Canticle For Leibowitz by Miller and before reading The Genocides by Disch

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

It was a class about post-apocalyptic literature, and it turns out that divine retribution is one of the big themes in that genre. We read that essay after reading A Canticle For Leibowitz by Miller and before reading The Genocides by Disch

That sounds like a great class.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Anti-Citizen posted:

That sounds like a great class.

When I get home I can PM the syllabus to you! It was really fun

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Disch is one of the guys to bring up when some self-important namby-pamby is going on about abandoning sci-fi for real literature. You know, novels about white college professors in failing marriages.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Disch is one of the guys to bring up when some self-important namby-pamby is going on about abandoning sci-fi for real literature. You know, novels about white college professors in failing marriages.

Oh man use A Canticle for Leibowitz for that too

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Having grown up in (a marginally enlightened corner of) evangelical land, this sounds worryingly plausible.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I took that class! Happy New Year, TTP! (and all) I'm doing great, though JRodimus_Prime gets weirder by the day.

https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/816361592833052672

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 4, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Huh, best! I follow Brad Hicks on FB so I'll let him know- given he's a giant SF fan I imagine he'd be tickled.

theshim
May 1, 2012

WrenP-Complete posted:

I took that class! Happy New Year, TTP! (and all) I'm doing great, though JRodimus_Prime gets weirder by the day.

Wizards!! :argh:

(funky new avatar, I like)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

WrenP-Complete posted:

Wizards are dicks, so this checks out

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

Only the best, the grandest of wizards.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Wizards: no sense of right and wrong.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I have it on good authority that only Correct Wizards are properly libertarian, but loyalty to them will save you from communist mind control.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if anyone else is reading wizard in the sense of "can't find anyone willing to have sex with them"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Liquid Communism posted:

I have it on good authority that only Correct Wizards are properly libertarian, but loyalty to them will save you from communist mind control.

gently caress, I forgot that plot point. I read that series when it was new and I was young, and so much of that stuff sailed right past me.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress, I forgot that plot point. I read that series when it was new and I was young, and so much of that stuff sailed right past me.

Well do I have some good news for you, there's an amazing Let's Read of it! Be warned, though, there is a loooooooooooooooooooooooot more rape in it than you remember.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if anyone else is reading wizard in the sense of "can't find anyone willing to have sex with them"

I was thinking more along the lines of a Grand Wizard. Makes the quote nonsensical and racist so it checks out for libertarianism.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Relevant to the thread, The Infamous Brad also cheekily argues that Ayn Rand's dystopian novel Anthem is actually a post-apocalyptic third book in the Atlas Shrugged Trilogy.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

Relevant to the thread, The Infamous Brad also cheekily argues that Ayn Rand's dystopian novel Anthem is actually a post-apocalyptic third book in the Atlas Shrugged Trilogy.

I love this argument.

Also:
https://twitter.com/JRodimus_Prime/status/817035115671027713
?!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Who What Now posted:

Well do I have some good news for you, there's an amazing Let's Read of it! Be warned, though, there is a loooooooooooooooooooooooot more rape in it than you remember.

Oh god. I'm going to read the thread from the start, and hate you and myself for it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Oh god. I'm going to read the thread from the start, and hate you and myself for it.
Not yet you don't.

It's so, so, so much worse than you remember.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Bitcoin crashed by 20%. Let the good times roll.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Bitcoin crashed by 20%. Let the good times roll.

Well it is Thursday.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

theshim posted:

Not yet you don't.

It's so, so, so much worse than you remember.

Someone brought up nambles on page 4, I'm now testing my knives to find the sharpest. I read these and enjoyed them until the last chapter of the last book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

WrenP-Complete posted:

Oh man Wren we need to catch up sometime! Did you take that class with Elizabeth Hewitt?? She is my fav English professor haha

Happy new year to everyone in the thread! I forgot to post the syllabus last night, but I will after my eye appointment! :D