Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I'm so ready for New Years Dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
So what are the chances that Minoru Suzuki comes back at New Year's Dash?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Watched the whole show and thought it was a little better than last year (which was amazing). Overall the top four matches were better than last year's top four as a collective series. I'm still processing the main event but thought it was clearly better than the other three, but that's cool that there's some disagreement.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the more pressing Minoru Suzuki question is what are the odds his return feud are actually good?

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So as a relative NJPW newbie, is New Years Dash worth watching?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Forceholy posted:

new year's dash is a really fun show where maybe a couple big angles start

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Forceholy posted:

Yep. It's mostly tags and the guys (understandably) take it fairly easy in-ring, but there are new angles and it's fun. It's not as high octane as Raw After Mania tends to be but I don't mean that in a bad way.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

The main event had the best use of a table I've ever seen in a wrestling match. The tension was built up so perfectly, it was like if Hitchcock was the agent or some poo poo

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Oh god Okada, your throat

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
I hope it spreads and kills him for taking the one thing omega deserved

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I can't believe that this delivered. I loosely follow NJPW and only really watch some of the big matches online, often a few weeks after the fact. I woke up this morning hype as gently caress and watched the entire card over the day as I did some other stuff online. It was so loving good. The early matches were well paced with fun spots and the final 4 were so heavy and dramatic. I was texting friends who barely watch wrestling at all telling them about how loving intense they were. I can't believe these humans did this to themselves for my own enjoyment. True warriors.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
new japan is the loving best holy poo poo, i so regret not taking time off work to watch that live

also okada was the right choice to win you marks

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

New Years Dash is completely free, btw (don't know about the replays though)

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/816835843063037952

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ParanoidInc posted:

kenny's goddamn fantastic but i can't not mark for THE loving SPINNING TOMBSTONE

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ParanoidInc posted:

I completely agree with the newLegacy guys (they did a Discord stream commentary of the show): can't even be mad. It was the perfect story, and made Omega look like a billion dollars. He's getting a reign this year, and with all this in mind, it's fine they didn't pull the whole trigger at the Dome.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Okada is the one true ace and should go undefeated at the next 10 Wrestle Kingdoms

Also totally got a concussion from Omega drop kicking him in the back of the head and should probably not wrestle today

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I watched the show over a 12-hour period today (thankfully it was a slow day at work) and it was about as great as I expected. I'm with the Kenny should have won crowd but the match was great anyway so I can't complain too much. I may have liked his G1 match with Naito better but that might have been because I wasn't expecting it to be as great as it was and I obviously had super high expectations for the WK11 main event.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also totally got a concussion from Omega drop kicking him in the back of the head and should probably not wrestle today

There were a lot of "ow" moments in that match but that might have been the one that made me cringe the most.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

Okada is the one true ace and should go undefeated at the next 10 Wrestle Kingdoms

My only complaint with the New Years Dash show traditionally being so soon after the WK is half the roster really should be home or in hospital care ASAP after WK

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

What a show goddamn

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Chris James 2 posted:

My only complaint with the New Years Dash show traditionally being so soon after the WK is half the roster really should be home or in hospital care ASAP after WK

Shibata is going to wrestle until his dick falls off

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

I completely agree with the newLegacy guys (they did a Discord stream commentary of the show): can't even be mad. It was the perfect story, and made Omega look like a billion dollars. He's getting a reign this year, and with all this in mind, it's fine they didn't pull the whole trigger at the Dome.

Yep. They kept him strong by not having Okada kick out of his finisher either. That show was god damned awesome.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i think the jr heavyweight match was my favorite of the night. i have never been crazy about kushida, but that match was beautiful. the following 3 matches were all amazing as well, that one just struck me.

cams fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 5, 2017

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/816866277746581504

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
And that vision was of a hospital room

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I spent all day squeezing in the show at break at work and on the train. Thankfully got to watch the last four matches on my actual TV. What a loving great show. Can't wait to get caught up with the thread. Until then, here are my assorted thoughts:

The Rumble needed a spot where Elgin and Norton took turns seeing who could powerbomb Cheeseburger harder.

Between Ibushi's nipples and ACH's rear end, NJPW picked the two most recognizable bodies to play faceless animes.

The jr. tag match was a lot of fun and it was great to see Rocky win in the Dome. Trent's dive was ridiculous and I hope that he never does it again. I liked the finish but kind of wish that Trent had gotten to do a more physical intercept than just holding the foot.

Trios match lived up to the ridiculous nature of those belts. Ospreay's flurry of offense was the highlight of the whole deal thought I also loved Kojima getting the entire dome to yell bastard with him.

Cody's look was really solid and he was a good arrogant heel, but the match was so flat. They should have just gone for a sprint instead of trying to tell a story suited for a longer match. I'm interested to see if he sticks around to do more and get that Shibata match (AKA his funeral).

ROH title match was good but suffered from the crowd not caring and Adam Cole never clicking with me.

Tag title match was a real showcase for how much GOD improved as a team. Ishii and Yano should be a fun straight man/wacky dude team. Steve Corino crying with laughter at all the swearing made me glad I listened to the English commentary for the first half of the show.

Jr title match was great like every big KUSHIDA match. Takahashi really brought it and I'm way more into him as the LIJ fool for KUSHIDA than BUSHI. I also like that he wore a big robe but still felt the need to carry his jacket out as a prop.

Shibata and Goto beat the gently caress out of each other and I will likely be revisiting that match many times. So many small things like the limb traps in the sleeper sequence to make the fight feel fresh.

Naito winning had me running around the living room doing his poses. LIJ sweeping the card, baby! That match was so, so great and I'm glad Naito won clean as a sheet. Did anybody else notice the announcer getting his cord caught in Tana's foot before the match and having to stand uncomfortably close to him during a turnbuckle pose? I was dying.

What can I say about the main that won't be said a billion times? Okada has surpassed everyone as the top big match wrestler in the world and Omega might be on his heels if he keeps it up. So much drama and it cemented both guys as complete studs. I was wondering why Kenny's elbow pads were so huge at first but it became apparent why during all of his many deaths in the match. I don't know how either guy was standing at the end.

I love New Japan, guys.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

New Years Dash is completely free, btw (don't know about the replays though)

https://twitter.com/reasonjp/status/816835843063037952

Are all the other things they had free in the leadup to Wrassle Kingdome still free? I'd like to watch them but I had bowl games to watch dammit.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
I'm going to drive to Transcona and proclaim Kenny's greatness to everyone I see

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was listening to Adam and Mike's Big Audio NIghtmare on the Observer and they mentioned that Okada/Omega was 46 minutes long.

To me it felt like it went 15-20 minutes :stare:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

"Working from home" today so I'm gonna wake n bake and watch New Year's Dash, probably around 10ish cause I don't know if I can stay awake another handful of hours

don't get old, pals

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

So what are the chances that Minoru Suzuki comes back at New Year's Dash?

I'm guesssing he does although it's certainly not a certainty. There was talk on a recent TAKA/Taichi Produce show of the stable being reunited

oatgan posted:

the more pressing Minoru Suzuki question is what are the odds his return feud are actually good?

If you're talking Suzuki himself, fairly high! If you mean his stable as a whole, :lol:

Thauros fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jan 5, 2017

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
So New Year Dash!! will have Kevin Kelly and Corino on commentary again for the English listeners.

what's gonna happen?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Solus posted:

So New Year Dash!! will have Kevin Kelly and Corino on commentary again for the English listeners.

what's gonna happen?

Okada, Naito and Tanahashi all handed in their notice yesterday.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

rovert posted:

Okada, Naito and Tanahashi all handed in their notice yesterday.

Don't you dare scare me like that

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Suzuki's posting pictures from his shop in Harajuku, I'm suddenly negative on it happening guys.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

harperdc posted:

Suzuki's posting pictures from his shop in Harajuku, I'm suddenly negative on it happening guys.

Korakuen is only like 30 minutes away by car. He could be leaving now :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/816923826093113344?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Big Dick Meltzer do not let me down

Solus fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 5, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Solus posted:

Korakuen is only like 30 minutes away by car. He could be leaving now :unsmith:

Tokyo traffic is not to be hosed with though :gonk:

I hope I'm wrong! And I'm looking forward to watching WK the next few days too.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Sounds like everybody better :siren: WAKE UP :siren: for this show, then!

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

dsriggs posted:

Is it.... Is it feeding time?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

dsriggs posted:

You don't want "The American Nightmare" Ko Dee... you want Stardust!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
So I saw that New Japan is coming to Long Beach California in July and so now I know what I am doing in July.

• Locked thread