Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think something just broke

This seems just OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Baral preordering for $8.99 now

Cant tell if that's legit or just early hype. It's a rare so it shouldn't ever get above $10 right.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

I completely agree. This set looks amazing; i just hope Emrakul doesn't completely overshadow it for an other year. So far, I have seen nothing that really stops Marvel.

80s James Hetfield posted:

Baral preordering for $8.99 now

Cant tell if that's legit or just early hype. It's a rare so it shouldn't ever get above $10 right.

It's Thing in the Ice-style hype. I have no idea why anyone would consider going in on any rare in a Standard legal set for $9.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

It's Thing in the Ice-style hype. I have no idea why anyone would consider going in on any rare in a Standard legal set for $9.

Copter is still over 10 bucks...

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just bought a play set of Fatal Pushs at 3.99 each. I feel like a scared fool.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

I'm just happy that so far none of the Mythics are overly pushed.

Saving this to quote in 2 months when everyone complains that this set has no value in it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Baral doesn't close out games like Thing in the Ice can.

Though he does do some nice things to the burn available, and 3-mana Glimmer of Genius is enticing.

The Metallurgic Mastery deck might still just lose out to the value on the other side of the table but it's coming together a little at least!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

So awkward in draft. I want to be able to pick him high, but I can't because it's a double black two-drop. Odds are if I get any I'll pick them up in pack two as a good indication that the person to my left isn't in black.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DangerDongs posted:

I just bought a play set of Fatal Pushs at 3.99 each. I feel like a scared fool.

That seems silly.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DangerDongs posted:

It's not going to be that expensive. For comparison, Monastery Swiftspear, the 2nd best red one-drop ever printed and a 4x Staple everywhere Burn is a deck, only peaked at $4 briefly and is currently half that much. Other standard-warping uncommons like Reflector Mage and Duskwatch Recruiter went for like $2 in their prime. Aether Hub managed to linger in the $3-4 range for a few months by virtue of being the best land in Standard and a 4x in almost every deck, and even that's down to $2.50 now.

Fatal Push is a very good card, but Modern demand will only do so much for the price of a card still in print and the fact that Revolt will take actual work to turn in Standard means it's not a guaranteed standard allstar.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I will happily take $4 uncommons if it means no $50 mythics.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Lets Pickle posted:

Saving this to quote in 2 months when everyone complains that this set has no value in it.

Thats a separate problem. If you make a lot of good cards at rare than you end up with a bunch of $5-10 rares rather than a few $20-50 mythics. Also the rares in this set look pretty good and playable.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Voyager I posted:

It's not going to be that expensive. For comparison, Monastery Swiftspear, the 2nd best red one-drop ever printed and a 4x Staple everywhere Burn is a deck, only peaked at $4 briefly and is currently half that much. Other standard-warping uncommons like Reflector Mage and Duskwatch Recruiter went for like $2 in their prime. Aether Hub managed to linger in the $3-4 range for a few months by virtue of being the best land in Standard and a 4x in almost every deck, and even that's down to $2.50 now.

Fatal Push is a very good card, but Modern demand will only do so much for the price of a card still in print and the fact that Revolt will take actual work to turn in Standard means it's not a guaranteed standard allstar.

Also the current standard format doesn't have a whole lot of 2-drops Push can hit.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

BJPaskoff posted:

So awkward in draft. I want to be able to pick him high, but I can't because it's a double black two-drop. Odds are if I get any I'll pick them up in pack two as a good indication that the person to my left isn't in black.

Not if you force mono black :getin:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
There will always be Master Pieces to help keep prices down, and I'd rather spread my money around on slightly higher priced rares than chasing down four 20$ ones for a deck.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Copter is still over 10 bucks...

Smuggler's Copter goes in decks that play creatures as a 4-of.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

We've come a long way from Hasran Ogress

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Does this set seem like a very sudden shift in the aggressiveness of the game, or is it just me?

Like there's a lot of really powerful fuckin' cards in here?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
This set looks fun as hell. Can't wait to draft the poo poo out of it. Absolutely love the Implement cycle -- plays so cleanly and nicely with Revolt, Improvise, artifact-matters from KLD, and simply providing nice cheap incidental value at worst. Hopefully durdling is possible.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm hoping to play one of those not-cascade spells into an off colour planeswalker in draft.

A man can dream.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

loving MODO.

They ended the flashback draft year and were like "okay we'll do more flashbacks of your favorite formats."

*starts with triple Zendikar*

Goddamnit.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

loving MODO.

They ended the flashback draft year and were like "okay we'll do more flashbacks of your favorite formats."

*starts with triple Zendikar*

Goddamnit.

Not best, and maybe people like it because they get it and other people make mistakes like taking 4-drops.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

Does this set seem like a very sudden shift in the aggressiveness of the game, or is it just me?

Like there's a lot of really powerful fuckin' cards in here?

This set is very aggressive but remember that there are alot of cards in standard that are awesome vs aggro decks and aren't going anywhere.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

This one is new templating, right? It seems like previously it would have been "Sacrifice Implement of Combustion: Implement of Combustion deals..." (c.f. Pyrite Spellbomb)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

mcmagic posted:

This set is very aggressive but remember that there are alot of cards in standard that are awesome vs aggro decks and aren't going anywhere.

I don't actually give a gently caress about standard and don't know enough about the meta I'm just surprised to see cards that look incredibly powerful and fringe modern playable everywhere.

Like pretty much every revolt card looks like it has some potential to be playable in modern, and 2/1 flyers for U1 and poo poo just seems a lot stronger than the usual standard cards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

I don't actually give a gently caress about standard and don't know enough about the meta I'm just surprised to see cards that look incredibly powerful and fringe modern playable everywhere.

Like pretty much every revolt card looks like it has some potential to be playable in modern, and 2/1 flyers for U1 and poo poo just seems a lot stronger than the usual standard cards.

I think the only slam dunk Modern cards are Fatal Slip and Renegade Rallier. In fact the top billed cards like the walkers are pretty weak.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I heard a ridiculous theory that they're making Planeswalkers low power for a while so Nicol Bolas is more impressive, and I kind of like it.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mossyfisk posted:

I heard a ridiculous theory that they're making Planeswalkers low power for a while so Nicol Bolas is more impressive, and I kind of like it.

That probably made a lot more sense when Gideon was rotating out as Bolas rotated in.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Jabor posted:

This one is new templating, right? It seems like previously it would have been "Sacrifice Implement of Combustion: Implement of Combustion deals..." (c.f. Pyrite Spellbomb)

Fireforger's Puzzleknot has the same template:

Ticking Gnomes from EMA didn't, however:

So it looks like a change that came in with Kaladesh.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

I mean, Gideon is still around being a total dick. From a pure power standpoint, I don't think Chandra is weak either. Kaladesh Nissa seems like she'd be good in a lot of Standards, just not this one because the only thing you actually want to do is either aggressively turn guys sideways or cheat out the Queen of No Fun Allowed.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mossyfisk posted:

We've just had two really strong Chandra's, Lili, Nahiri and two good Nissa's though

Also new Sorin owns, he's just expensive to cast

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Not best, and maybe people like it because they get it and other people make mistakes like taking 4-drops.

People like drafting triple Zendikar because they like opening fetchlands.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Star Man posted:

People like drafting triple Zendikar because they like opening fetchlands.

But it's a flashback draft, so you don't get to keep them, right?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zemyla posted:

They're not phantom. Flashbacks generally aren't anyways.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It was just the Modern Masters flashback that was phantom I think?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Zemyla posted:

Phantom drafts you don't get to keep the cards from

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Bring back VMA drafts so I can laugh at how dumb it is to win by drafting a million Battle Screeches.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

So Modern Bushwacker Zoo has 8 BTE's now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

:captainpop:

• Locked thread