Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spacebump posted:

What caused Gary Neal to go from decent bench player to d-leaguer?

If I had to guess I'd say a combination of age (he was pretty old when he got to the NBA) and the game evolving such that his best skill from his breakout Spurs years, shooting wide-open corner threes, isn't really that useful since now every team plays defense to take those away (I can't back the second part up with anything past my gut feeling though).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Gary Neal is an rear end as well.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
woj on the warpath again: https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/816768377364455424

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

organizations win championships, imo

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Some of the best heckling I ever heard was some guy yelling "GARY NEAL HAS TWO FIRST NAMES"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The B_36 posted:

Jesus Christ, this is a fantastic idea. Like, give them as many balls as the...5th worst team or something, and maybe don't allow them to win the first pick. Gives that large bulk of teams who are trying to decide between a)sticking with an ok-to-good team that's missing a superstar or b) blowing it up and tanking a bit some motivation to choose option a. They may have no shot of winning a ring with their current alright squad, but making the conference finals is within alot of alright team's grasp, and there is a huge potential bonus to getting there.

Tho I suppose it could lead to teams tanking to lose the Conference finals to get a chance at the lottery bonus, but that would only happen if they absolutely knew they had no chance against the other conference champ. I think teams are too competitive to do this tho.

Giving the third best team in the NBA the #5 (or better) pick is a horrible idea. You'd ruin parity because it take a good player from a bad team and put him on a great one. Plus, I am not sure the players would play harder. You get to bring a guy on to eat up cap space and take your minutes? Or, more likely, be trade bait?

Give players a winners purse. They'll play plenty hard.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Lockback posted:

Giving the third best team in the NBA the #5 (or better) pick is a horrible idea. You'd ruin parity because it take a good player from a bad team and put him on a great one. Plus, I am not sure the players would play harder. You get to bring a guy on to eat up cap space and take your minutes? Or, more likely, be trade bait?

Give players a winners purse. They'll play plenty hard.

They wouldn't get the 5 spot. They'd be at the back of the new "add one pick" lottery (which is incentive to win the losers bracket because you jump a bit of spots) with the same odds as the 5th worst team to move into the top 3 (but couldn't get #1)

It would also really impact draft trades, you lose the CF and win the losers bracket, end up with the #2 pick and trade it for a veteran to get you over the hump. It would be awesome

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

aBagorn posted:

They wouldn't get the 5 spot. They'd be at the back of the new "add one pick" lottery (which is incentive to win the losers bracket because you jump a bit of spots) with the same odds as the 5th worst team to move into the top 3 (but couldn't get #1)

It would also really impact draft trades, you lose the CF and win the losers bracket, end up with the #2 pick and trade it for a veteran to get you over the hump. It would be awesome

His point is the players won't be pumped for a pick increase, that's just a young talented guy they have to compete with and who will probably not, in the life of the next contract, be a game changer. That's a huge incentive for owners and GMs, and fans, but not so much for players or even coaches, the only people you're actually trying to inspire. Give 'em money.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Quincy Pondexter just underwent another knee surgery today.

So that probably means out for the season. Hoo. Ray. Looks like he played his busted knee into oblivion last year.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Winslow out for the season with a torn labrum. Riley gonna get out those tank keys.

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Winslow out for the season with a torn labrum. Riley gonna get out those tank keys.

and select the next michael beasley

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

DeimosRising posted:

His point is the players won't be pumped for a pick increase, that's just a young talented guy they have to compete with and who will probably not, in the life of the next contract, be a game changer. That's a huge incentive for owners and GMs, and fans, but not so much for players or even coaches, the only people you're actually trying to inspire. Give 'em money.

How about this: Winner of the loser bracket doesn't have to play any back to backs next season (and maybe also skip out on preseason games)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

That's not a nice thing to call Josh Jackson.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

giannis just chaos dunked, please check in with your loved ones

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Quincy Pondexter just underwent another knee surgery today.

So that probably means out for the season. Hoo. Ray. Looks like he played his busted knee into oblivion last year.

Almost two years ago, but yeah.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This wad a while ago but did you see gordan throwing shade at the pelicans health staff?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I do recall him being really pissed that the Pelicans matched the Suns.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

This wad a while ago but did you see gordan throwing shade at the pelicans health staff?

Maybe. It would mean more to me if he had taken his rehab more seriously the first time around.

Anderson was also throwing shade at getting more open looks, which was proven factually wrong using the SportsVU stats.

So, whatever.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
:siren: GIANNIS :siren:

:siren: GIANNIS :siren:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Some of the best heckling I ever heard was some guy yelling "GARY NEAL HAS TWO FIRST NAMES"

That's pretty tame

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

NBA 2016/2017 N/V: Giannis Christ Superstar

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Melo looks like an old man at the Y playing basketball in his sweats.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Giannis also knocked the inbounds pass off Rose to get the ball back for the final play.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

We can only hope the league gets another super cool beas

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Wait wait wait how were you all making GBS threads on the icon Ralph Lawler's "bingo" when the Grizzlies PBP guy says "bango" like an autist after every three

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

One of them is an old man who's voice just screams "I think college basketball Is Played The Right Way" the other I've never heard. Gimme a link to a bango compilation and I will happily poo poo on him

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
ok javale

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
haha this is not the game day thread. so Giannis is MVP, yeah?

Brolander fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 5, 2017

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Jack's Flow posted:

edit: Also, I just remembered that the Pacers exist. 28 out of 30 is still pretty good though.

This guy aint see Myles Turner highlights

The NBA is fantastic at the moment, every team has at least 1 guy who is fun to watch...besides the Nets like you said.

Brolander posted:

haha this is not the game day thread. so Giannis is MVP, yeah?

Did Russel Westbrook, then James Harden, then Kyrie Irving all die?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Athanatos posted:

Also LeBron James

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Athanatos posted:

you must not have seen that dunk

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

We just named the MVP race: Westbrook, Harden, Durant, Lebron, Giannis, Embiid.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcdermis

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Giannis is legitimately a down ballot MVP guy

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

straight up brolic posted:

I'm joking about Embiid obvi, but Giannis really is the 5thish guy on the ballot right now.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

straight up brolic posted:

On the edge of top 5.

Brolander posted:

you must not have seen that dunk

If we going by dunks, that Nance Jr one from earlier this year puts him in the MVP running, and nobody wants to see that.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/BullsBlogger/status/816861710397095936

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion