Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Rirse posted:

Was interesting see him play FF4, as he would get everyone up to level 99, always going for the rare Dragoon Lance drop for Kain.

Your dad owns, FF4 is my favorite and even I'm not that hardcore.

Mace Bacon posted:

My mum was like "what's the appeal of this dang Game Boy" and played Donkey Kong Land when I was at a friends birthday party and got so engrossed in it she was late in picking me up. :3: I'm gonna try Dr Mario with her.

I distinctly remember a time shortly after the Game Boy was released, and everyone was going nuts over Tetris, when I watched my sister in law playing it on our couch in an utter trance. She was just dead to the entire world, completely into it. I mean, I kind of get that way too when I'm really focused on a game, but this was some next level, "she might have been drooling" poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I decided to play Magmax for the NES, on the off chance that it might not be the terrible experience I remember it being.

Nope. Total bullshit. gently caress this painfully easy game.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread is the only one I know of that mentions Windjammers with any regularity, so some of you might be interested in some indie devs making their own modern take on it in beta testing right now: http://www.highhorseentertainment.com/#discjam

al-azad
May 28, 2009

My mom never got into video games except for a weird mid-life crisis moment where she bought Ridge Racer V and a $150 force feedback wheel set. All I wanted to do was play loving Time Crisis, dammit!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

My parents were casual arcade goers in the early 80's like a lot of people were at the time and even bought a colecovision a year before I was born because it had good ports of Ladybug and Donkey Kong, when we got a TG16 my dad got really into Keith Courage for some reason. Thinking about it in our family games were never seen as some bad thing or "just for kids" and was just another form of entertainment, we'd just as soon go to a (real, video game focused) arcade as to a movie and my dad in particular got just as in to the games as I did. I do remember that he always had kind of a vendetta against shmups in particular because he thought they were scams or something and that it was impossible to win, and told me this as if he was passing on some ancient wisdom whenever I tried to play one, as if any of the other games in the arcade were totally easy to beat

e: I just remembered it was actually only vertical shooters that were the problem, horizontal ones were totally fine :psyduck:

d0s fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 4, 2017

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

The Kins posted:

Come to think of it, most of my extended family were huge Wolfenstein 3D addicts in the early '90s. This explains an awful lot about my obsession with loudly rubbing up against walls made of bright blue stone.

"Son it's time we had the talk. You see, When a man loves a wall..."

*Mom makes disappointed grinding noise and disappears sideways into rest of wall*

"drat it Doris, the boy's going to have to learn about this sometime!"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cindy Shitbird posted:

This thread is the only one I know of that mentions Windjammers with any regularity, so some of you might be interested in some indie devs making their own modern take on it in beta testing right now: http://www.highhorseentertainment.com/#discjam

All Windjammers clones basically stopped being relevant when they announced the re-release with online play. So long as the port and netcode is good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The port and netcode probably won't be good so it might actually work out okay for whichever dev manages to deliver their clone just in time to capitalise on peoples' disappointment with the official release.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
but also discjam is kinda bad, just like every other clone attempt

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My parents were early Atari 2600 adopters (Atari Basketball and Boxing were their jam, apparently) and then were later both obsessed with the first Sonic the Hedgehog game until Labyrinth Zone caused my dad to have a total YouTube-worthy controller-smashing ragefit and I never saw either of them play again until many years later when someone bought them one of those cheap "controller that you plug into your TV that has a bunch of ROMs on it" consoles.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought discjam was ok for the format. Just doesn't feel as fast though

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bust-a-Move was my mother's gaming jam for some reason. Bust-a-Move 2 on the PS1 and later Bust-a-Move 4 on the Dreamcast.

Edit: How in the time since I opened this thread did the last three posters decide to use "jam" in their post. Now I just look unoriginal...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I thought discjam was ok for the format. Just doesn't feel as fast though

Speed is the thing with all these games, you play Windjammers and the speed that game moves at is incredible. Every new flying disc game takes the super moves and style, but completely loses the speed because it's kinda hard to get that level of speed with a full 3D animated game.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

There was one game that my father stayed up entirely too late at night to go to work to play, it was so absolutely and completely his poo poo.

That game? King's Bounty for the Sega Genesis. The guy went total loving savant at it, and could take on Arech Dragonbreath on the second-to-steepest difficulty. Had no interest in finding the sceptre, just basically playing upgraded Archon until he dominated everything.

There was an intervention; my mom came down pretty hard on him. As a result, until Wii Sports was released, my father didn't touch another video game.
He should've just completed it in ten seconds and moved on.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Like I said, no interest in finding the sceptre. But yeah, storywise, having the RNG dump the sceptre right at the front door of the castle is all kinds of lol.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Random Stranger posted:

Bust-a-Move 4 on the Dreamcast.

Yeah Puzzle Bobble 4 was really really good, at least the VS mode with the crazy chain reactions.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I ordered 6 Seimitsu limited lime colored buttons from arcadeshock, to match my limited lime balltop. Somebody hosed up though

I'm not sure if it's due to new years or what but it's been 6 days of trying to get in touch with them and no reply. But I do have lots of balls

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I mean, I guess that's Lime.

Though honestly it looks more like Highlighter Yellow, but that could just be the lighting?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

d0s posted:

I ordered 6 Seimitsu limited lime colored buttons from arcadeshock, to match my limited lime balltop. Somebody hosed up though

I'm not sure if it's due to new years or what but it's been 6 days of trying to get in touch with them and no reply. But I do have lots of balls

Who doesn't use clear buttons with inserts these days jeez

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

signalnoise posted:

Who doesn't use clear buttons with inserts these days jeez

I just want my buttons to match my stick not to have some crazy blinged out stick

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Do they make those skull gear knobs in arcade stick size?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

Do they make those skull gear knobs in arcade stick size?

This would be really fun for a Mortal Kombat cab, I think.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

univbee posted:

The gently caress? Apparently people figured out how to manipulate the RNG in Dragon Warrior on NES for human speedruns.

Sounds like it can still be easily derailed requiring a do-over so not marathon-capable, but something a speedrunner can sit down at and eventually have a successful run before too long. Looks like the record is just over 34 minutes, and might get broken in the next 15ish minutes.

https://www.twitch.tv/themexicanrunner

It's been a thing for a while as far as exploiting RNG. DQ1 is very competitive between Western and Japanese players. The races are fun to watch. Best part is when they get critical hits and they scream out KAISHIN NO ICHIGEKI!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It's been a thing for a while as far as exploiting RNG. DQ1 is very competitive between Western and Japanese players. The races are fun to watch. Best part is when they get critical hits and they scream out KAISHIN NO ICHIGEKI!

Final Fantasy on nes it seems has similarly but less exhaustively been broken. Step counters and a general idea on encounter types, but it's not "i can perma-sleep the end boss and chip him to death" level.

There'll be a run of it at agdq in a week.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

njsykora posted:

All Windjammers clones basically stopped being relevant when they announced the re-release with online play. So long as the port and netcode is good.

DotEmu's handling it, so uh... no on both counts.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m6NBLNLDoFyvwPPTYS8AVPJNTMw1CE-mzberE6Tm9fg/edit?usp=sharing (I guess it was no longer 600+)

There are countless other controllers / power supplies / cabling I've sorted into other bins but thats the meat of it. Also got some random stuff I didn't list like a few unopened everdrives, a ps1 skateboard platform and a super scope with the eye piece missing.

I'll probably add price notes for myself later when I get back to this.

That's a drat fine list of Genesis games. I am most certainly interested in many of them including some of the more spendy stuff. Are you making an SA Mart thread or still don't know?

Why are you selling?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

d0s posted:

Nice anal beads.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

falz posted:

That's a drat fine list of Genesis games. I am most certainly interested in many of them including some of the more spendy stuff. Are you making an SA Mart thread or still don't know?

Why are you selling?

I stopped collecting 2 years ago and also I'm unemployed atm. I'll make a thread later.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

A Yolo Wizard posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1m6NBLNLDoFyvwPPTYS8AVPJNTMw1CE-mzberE6Tm9fg/edit?usp=sharing (I guess it was no longer 600+)

There are countless other controllers / power supplies / cabling I've sorted into other bins but thats the meat of it. Also got some random stuff I didn't list like a few unopened everdrives, a ps1 skateboard platform and a super scope with the eye piece missing.

I'll probably add price notes for myself later when I get back to this.

Thats a great collection of consoles too. I'd be interested in some if you parted them out, especially the JVC X'eye, AV Famicom, and SNES-Mini

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 5, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah there is a few things I would probably get too. That said, what kind of cables go with the Gamecube? And not related to you, but how hard is it to mod the Gamecube to use the Wii Component cables?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

Nice anal beads.

2017 is the year of ovipositors actually

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rirse posted:

Yeah there is a few things I would probably get too. That said, what kind of cables go with the Gamecube? And not related to you, but how hard is it to mod the Gamecube to use the Wii Component cables?

You straight-out can't; The Gamecube component cables have a renderer chip in the cable. You're better off just getting a version-1 Wii, really. It's probably cheaper at this point too.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You straight-out can't; The Gamecube component cables have a renderer chip in the cable. You're better off just getting a version-1 Wii, really. It's probably cheaper at this point too.

I would get it for the GB Player.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rirse posted:

There isn't a mod to use the Wii component cables that I'm aware of. For the GameCubes with the actual component out support 9you can tell which they are, they have an extra "Digital Out" video port on the back) you try to get a hold of the expensive Nintendo GC component cables, because they contain a chip that's required to actually generate the signal. For the rest of the GameCubes after they dropped that video port, people building mods to get high quality video out usually stick to pure RGB output to feed to their display or scaler (and I think someone built a board to output VGA?). No point going to all that effort just to get the slightly lower quality component output.

PAL region GameCubes come with support for outputting RGB over SCART with the regular video port, but then you need to deal with finding PAL region games or doing the mods to make it multiregion.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Speaking as someone who lucked into a GC component cable and tried it on his GBA games, it's really not worth it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I stopped collecting 2 years ago and also I'm unemployed atm. I'll make a thread later.

Sent you a PM

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Yeah, especially if you are only looking to play GBA games on it, its probably worth it to just look for a PAL Gamecube and throw Swiss/Game Boy Interface on it.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Phantasium posted:

Speaking as someone who lucked into a GC component cable and tried it on his GBA games, it's really not worth it.

Yeah, even with the component cables, GBA games look pretty assy on the GB Player. You need TheRedEye's 240p hack to make it worthwhile. It was posted here a long time ago, so I'm sure someone has the link handy.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

I would get it for the GB Player.

my life in gaming has an extensive list of options for getting good video out of the gameboy player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjtD1mOZlPc&t=1731s

I'd consider waiting for the hdmi out mod to come back if you're not feeding this into an upscaler you already own.
https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/nintendo-gamecube-upgrade/

fishmech posted:

PAL region GameCubes come with support for outputting RGB over SCART with the regular video port, but then you need to deal with finding PAL region games or doing the mods to make it multiregion.

If its for gameboy playin, then they probably are modding it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

It's a New Age Retro Christmas: 2016 Edition! :tfrxmas:

My wife remains horrified that I'm doing this and apparently so are a good number of coworkers she's mentioned it to. Most aren't even retro gamers. Go figure.

First stop, the Sega Dreamcast. These came from a lot of 9 sealed Dreamcast games I got off of Ebay for about $50. I’m saving four for next year, and one I sold off as it was a duplicate. It was Chu Chu Rocket, for the curious, and yeah, that was probably the best of the lot but I didn’t see a need to keep a sealed copy around. Apologies for the blurry pics because I'm a moron who takes close pictures and forgets about macro mode.

I really need to vacuum that rug. Anyway, here we sealed copies of NHL2K, Sega Marine Fishing, Coaster Works and Sega Tennis 2K2. My expectations for this lot are not high but the price was right. At about $4-5/game, there's gotta be something worth playing. Lets take a look.

NHL 2K:

Coolest game ever, eh? I'll be the judge of that.

This replaces my copy of NHL ’98 for the PS1 as the most recent hockey game I own, and frankly what’s the point since it doesn’t have the Whalers? I wouldn’t even have NHL ’98 if I hadn’t won a copy from a Mountain Dew contest and wouldn't have played it if create-a-player hadn't been a thing. I replaced the entire Dallas Stars roster with random edgy :emo: characters because I was 17 at the time and dumb. After a while I was routinely able to 30 goals a game on normal, but only 10 or so on the hardest setting. I got my fun out of that, so this can;t be too bad.

Rrrrrip!

Two manuals? Sweet! One was inside the wrap but not the jewel case itself. Also a product registration card and sweepstakes entry form for an arcade cab called Emergency Call: Ambulance.

This must’ve been the Canadian release. The extra manual is in French.

I played a match as the North America All Stars ( I cheated thinking I would stink) vs the shitbag Carolina Hurricanes without reading the manual and was wondering how well I’d actually be able to play. Turns out, not too shabby. It doesn’t take too long to figure out how your imaginary hockey men move and react. That being said, I just don’t care about hockey. There’s a lot of back and forth and very little scoring and… I just get bored. I really can’t fault this one too much. It's competently put together, the sound is fine and player animations are smooth but it's not likely to see a lot of use. These seem to be going for about $10 last time I checked, and you’d pay about as much for any random loose NES game. Ice Hockey or Blades of Steel are probably cheaper and more fun though.

Worth it?: At that price, yeah I guess. I'd say moreso if you're into hockey but if you are you probably already have something new than this so:shrug:

Next up Sega Marine Fishing: Well, I picked up Sega Bass Fishing new last year and that was kinda fun, so this can’t be too bad, right?

Tear! Expose!

Contents: game disc, case, manual and hey, another chance to win an Emergency Call: Ambulance cab! Items confirmed to be shiny as all hell, as if new.

This thing gets in your face right away with a :krad: intro set to a rocking metal soundtrack, and I like it. Why is it so hard for most sports games to have a decent soundtrack? drat, son, play me something that gets me pumped. I catch my first giant Trevally and yup, metal blaring the whole time. You might think you’re just fishing but the music is more appropriate to Street Fighter. The extreme closeup on the fish struggling as as you’re reeling it in totally makes this. It’s way more action-y than a fishing game has any right to be. Like you'd half expect a sailfish to hadoken you in the face. It's a lot less laid back than Bass Fishing for sure. Controls are easy enough to figure out and the experience is very arcade-like. Not sure what else there is to say about this. It's fishing! Wooo fishing!

Worth it?: Yeah, totally. These are still going for around $10 new and this is probably going to supplant SBF as my new "I wanna fish for like 20 minutes" game.

Coaster Works: Hmmm, well, maybe it’ll be better than my experience with Theme Park for the Saturn? I got (and later sold) a copy of that back in the 90s and lost patience with it as there seemed to be a bug where the maintenance staff always clustered in the southwest corner of the park, leaving the rest of the place to rot.

Just the basics here. I still hold out hope that I'll find a fruit rollup in a Genesis game one day, but that is not this day. :smith:

First impression is not that great. It's not a theme park sim but a game where you build up a roller coaster piece by piece. The first stage is a tutorial and I’m already kinda tuning it out, but it doesn’t take too long to finish, and I make a nice fun roller coaster for the kids to go careening off of. My second one causes a lot of screaming and a little queasiness, but is enough to satisfy the requirements. It’s a little easier than expected and is actually starting to grow on me. The graphics are nothing special and what little music there is has an 80s sitcom feel and is less than thrilling, although it does contrast nicely with the sounds of people screaming on your coaster. The interface where you build your coaster is pretty simple and easy to use, though its a little cluttered visually. The computer informs me that the first stage was easy and anyone could do it. Gee, thanks.

It definitely has a cheapy shovelware feel to it but I didn’t want to put it down. Second coaster only causes one person to barf. I think we can do better than that. It starts to get tricky when you get to the third one. I only put it down because I have one more game to unwrap tonight and a few other things to do. New copies of this are going for about $6 on Ebay and I'd recommend it at that price.

Worth it?: There’s only five (maybe six?) stages apparently. It'll be short but I guess there's some replay in trying new twists and turns. This is my favorite so far, so yes, totally worth it.

Tennis 2K2: I’m cautiously optimistic about this one as Dave from Gamesack said it was surprisingly enjoyable. Well, let’s give it a go.

The Willaims sisters have been around forever, haven't they? Everything you'd expect plus a little mini poster ad for all the other cool games I could be buying for my Dreamcast. Sorry but Sonic Adventure, it really was not that great and I'm not buying it Sega.

Finally, the chance to live my boyhood dream of being famed Russian tennis star Yevgeny Kafelnikov! :shepface: I am HORRIFICALLY bad at this. Even set on easy, the first match the computer scores the first time it this the ball on every serve. I also miss every time it serves the ball to me. I think I can see where Dave was going with this. If you’re within a few feet of the ball and press A, you will hit it. Even after a couple of matches I cannot for the life of me get near it fast enough to hit it though. Players animate in what I'm assuming are realistic ways. That is, the stroke they react with changes depending on the angle and distance of the ball, so it stays interesting to watch. Sound is nothing to write home about.

Worth it?: Eh. It's hard to say that any of these feels like a waste of money, but I care even less about tennis than hockey. This is one is available at around $10-15 and maybe its worth it if you're a hardcore retro gamer/tennis enthusiast who has friends who are also hardcore retro gamer/tennis enthusiasts, but I'd skip it if you can't meet those criteria.

Tomorrow: More Sega, less Dreamcast.

• Locked thread