Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Neon Belly posted:

What's up with the articles recently (e.g. here) saying the Democratic Party needs to stop being the tool of the neoliberals and go back to embracing the idea of the defender of the working class? Do these people think this is some novel idea?

I can't help but feel that the author's obsession with "monopolies" rather than big business or whatever is not exactly pro-single payer or pro-government services. But maybe that's just my own personal paranoia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Neon Belly posted:

What's up with the articles recently (e.g. here) saying the Democratic Party needs to stop being the tool of the neoliberals and go back to embracing the idea of the defender of the working class? Do these people think this is some novel idea?

The party has been completely captured by corporatism and finance at the federal level, so these articles are not about novelty. They are a protest of the party in its current state and a reminder that the party enjoyed great success when it stood up for the working and the poor.

I mean, a non-trivial amount of libs are now basically Reaganite Cold Warrior types that cloak it with diversity talk. That's not going to work.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The party has been completely captured by corporatism and finance at the federal level, so these articles are not about novelty. They are a protest of the party in its current state and a reminder that the party enjoyed great success when it stood up for the working and the poor.

I mean, a non-trivial amount of libs are now basically Reaganite Cold Warrior types that cloak it with diversity talk. That's not going to work.

When is the period you're talking about? If it's the new deal, then yes they stood up for white working class and poor people. The coalition fell apart once LBJ pushed through the CRA.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Neon Belly posted:

Yeah what's up with that. Weird - someone posting in the chapo trap house thread

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ron Jeremy posted:

When is the period you're talking about? If it's the new deal, then yes they stood up for white working class and poor people. The coalition fell apart once LBJ pushed through the CRA.

Black voting patterns completely changed to pro-Dem when the New Deal was introduced. Why do you think that is, if the Dems did nothing but help whites?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Black voting patterns completely changed to pro-Dem when the New Deal was introduced. Why do you think that is, if the Dems did nothing but help whites?

Eleanor Roosevelt certainly helped, although it's worth noting that GOP candidates would love to get as high of a percentage of black votes as Nixon received. The trend started in the 1930s, but the Dems didn't truly capture the African-American vote until Goldwater.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Neon Belly posted:

Eleanor Roosevelt certainly helped, although it's worth noting that GOP candidates would love to get as high of a percentage of black votes as Nixon received. The trend started in the 1930s, but the Dems didn't truly capture the African-American vote until Goldwater.

Almost completely reversing polarity on a party in the space of a single election is not a "trend", and saying it was because FDR's wife pied piper them into it is fuckin' insulting.

Anyway this is the Chapo thread, it's supposed to be lighthearted and fun, and you're not going to convince me and I'm not gonna convince you. I just hope you won't convince anyone else. Dropping it.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/816736504303276045

https://twitter.com/xmasape/status/816750500343320576

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/816755827063263232

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 4, 2017

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/816751234820542464

Ah yes that's why I don't go to d n d anymore

Vvv did I get rooked by an ironic post?

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 4, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol that's a post from cspam

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Almost completely reversing polarity on a party in the space of a single election is not a "trend", and saying it was because FDR's wife pied piper them into it is fuckin' insulting.

Anyway this is the Chapo thread, it's supposed to be lighthearted and fun, and you're not going to convince me and I'm not gonna convince you. I just hope you won't convince anyone else. Dropping it.

Ya having a first lady in the White House who was speaking out very publicly about civil rights is clearly my saying that she led them to the party like a mythical character leads rats into the sea.

Chapo content, for those that didn't get enough in the 2 minute clip from the episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDVkLDElFok

And for those wondering, they didn't have to do too much to pull some really awful material out of this.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 5, 2017

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Didn't Dan Nainan have an email exchange with Marc Maron a few years ago offering to pay Marc to let him on his podcast? I'm sure it was Dan Nainan, or some other dude who does heaps of shows in Dubai for oil failsons. His emails sounded real kooky.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Minute 40 of episode 21 of Cum Town has some stories about Dan Nainan

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

Minute 40 of episode 21 of Cum Town has some stories about Dan Nainan

What are the best episodes of cum town?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

All of them

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Felix was a bit too on the nose with "knockout game relief fund"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfzvrCwjfLE

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Matt dropping elbows off the top rope left and right in this latest episode.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm worried that they're coming out of the gate a bit too strong, but if I die while squatting, I will have at least died while laughing.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

The ones with Amber

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Hat Thoughts posted:

If you guys want some really good Dan Nainan content & have some free time this podcast is a pretty comprehensive summary & also good because you hear him explaining multiple times why the r/l joke is extremely good & real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBx9SBCoZ_o&t=1430s

Holy poo poo this is infuriating.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Just started listening to this cast, was pleasantly surprised to see @swarthyvillain is a co-host. I followed him on twitter then he disappeared, I never did the work to find out he went to another handle then got involved with this. Laughed a lot at the latest episode. Good poo poo.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Autism Powers and Old Friends.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Corek posted:

the sad thing is dan nainan is the funniest engineer of all time

that'll be R.A. Lafferty imo

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I Before E posted:

The ones with Amber

Groucho Marxist posted:

Autism Powers and Old Friends.

Thanks.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 6, 2017

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Phone posted:

Felix was a bit too on the nose with "knockout game relief fund"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfzvrCwjfLE

For those who missed it, this was the video from some people live streaming while they torture a mentally ill guy that they kidnapped.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/816839736899858432

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Hocus Pocus posted:

Didn't Dan Nainan have an email exchange with Marc Maron a few years ago offering to pay Marc to let him on his podcast? I'm sure it was Dan Nainan, or some other dude who does heaps of shows in Dubai for oil failsons. His emails sounded real kooky.

Yeah, as I recall, Dan asked to be on the podcast, back when Marc was struggling and WTF was still smallish and gaining steam. Marc said no, because Dan is a corporate comedy hack, not respected in comedy, funny, well-known nor interesting. So Dan of course takes it personally and offers Marc $10k to have him on as a guest, and Marc tells him to gently caress off because he has artistic integrity. Dan then shot off like an email a day for a week with pictures of his filet mignon meals on private jets in the middle east while doing his awful but lucrative 'my crazy immigrant parents' corporate comedy. Which he stole from Russell Peters, who in turn stole from Gina Yashere.

He's done some obnoxious stuff without any self awareness, and he just doesn't understand why no other comedians like him. Like for a few years any misspelling of Russell Peters' website would link to Dan's (set up visually similar to Russell's), and he'd answer the phone pretending to be Russell's agent, and then say that Russell unfortunately isn't available for your gig but there's this other great comedian, Dan Nainan who's available and also 100% clean.

Or with this whole Millennial Comedian thing, he's claiming to be 34 or 35 now, but he also won't abandon his 9/11 Changed My Life narrative. So if the Forbes journalist had done the back-of-envelope math at any point in the 40 minute interview, they would have figured out that 'Millennial Dan Nainan' was a 17 year old 'senior software engineer' when he saw the second plane strike the south tower from his corner office at Intel.

It's a deep, fascinating well of unbridled narcissism.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i would love to see an alt right guest go on the chapo trap house. Mike Enoch or bulbusaur from the daily Shoah would be really great. They are both smart and funny so I think they might have a really good conversation on where we need to be headed. Kind of a dialectic between left and right

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/816842136180105218

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

red19fire posted:

Yeah, as I recall, Dan asked to be on the podcast, back when Marc was struggling and WTF was still smallish and gaining steam. Marc said no, because Dan is a corporate comedy hack, not respected in comedy, funny, well-known nor interesting. So Dan of course takes it personally and offers Marc $10k to have him on as a guest, and Marc tells him to gently caress off because he has artistic integrity. Dan then shot off like an email a day for a week with pictures of his filet mignon meals on private jets in the middle east while doing his awful but lucrative 'my crazy immigrant parents' corporate comedy. Which he stole from Russell Peters, who in turn stole from Gina Yashere.

He's done some obnoxious stuff without any self awareness, and he just doesn't understand why no other comedians like him. Like for a few years any misspelling of Russell Peters' website would link to Dan's (set up visually similar to Russell's), and he'd answer the phone pretending to be Russell's agent, and then say that Russell unfortunately isn't available for your gig but there's this other great comedian, Dan Nainan who's available and also 100% clean.

Or with this whole Millennial Comedian thing, he's claiming to be 34 or 35 now, but he also won't abandon his 9/11 Changed My Life narrative. So if the Forbes journalist had done the back-of-envelope math at any point in the 40 minute interview, they would have figured out that 'Millennial Dan Nainan' was a 17 year old 'senior software engineer' when he saw the second plane strike the south tower from his corner office at Intel.

It's a deep, fascinating well of unbridled narcissism.

After listening to the interview with him he also strikes me as a pathological liar.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

what was the episode(s) with the alex jones clips?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

icantfindaname posted:

what was the episode(s) with the alex jones clips?

episode 66 around 24 mins has a really funny/horrible clip of him just berating a caller

Can't remember any others

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

i would love to see an alt right guest go on the chapo trap house. Mike Enoch or bulbusaur from the daily Shoah would be really great. They are both smart and funny so I think they might have a really good conversation on where we need to be headed. Kind of a dialectic between left and right

During one of the RNC/DNC episodes, the Chapo boys specifically mentioned how, despite repeat requests on Twitter, they will never debate any alt-right podcast hosts because the people who make and listen to the Daily Shoah are poo poo people who don't actually want to engage in a discussion.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Yeah, and they're absolutely right. I'm fine with them owning Libertarian dipshits on their show, but Chapo's attitude toward debate is refreshing and I'm not interested in them going against that to host poo poo covered internet dullards on the podcast.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They actually tried to reason (heh) with A Serious Person at Reason magazine, and every question was met with "the department of education needs to go and I'm not that type of libertarian so I can't comment on it". The prominent alt-right figureheads do the same thing, but throw in a Heil for good luck from time to time; the two people that come to mind are Milo and Sam Hyde, both of them do the dumb song and dance to avoid anything resembling a question (I think Sam Hyde pretended to be his own publicist when being asked about MDE's TV show being canned). Like Dan Nainan would be a more honest debate participant.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Literal goddamn nazis don't need to be given another loving platform, thanks.

Has horseshoe theory broken your brain?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Famethrowa posted:

Literal goddamn nazis don't need to be given another loving platform, thanks.

Has horseshoe theory broken your brain?

Given his use of "dialectic" he's been trying to cook up some of that immortal science and fried his mind.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They said they were giving up on debates with right wing idiots after they tried it with Matthew Walther and, well, this happened....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvN464imtMQ

It's not at all funny or entertaining and thank goodness they decided not to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
haha, yeah, the trad cath was bad enough, doing an interview with Pepe1488 would probably just devolve into a situation where it's just high-pitched shrieking of the n-word into the mic on a loop. cuuuuucccccccckkkkkkk.