Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Quantum Leap is not a good idea for this episode, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is really not working, especially as a season premiere.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

EL BROMANCE posted:

This is really not working, especially as a season premiere.

I would instead say that it is a bold and daring move.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
yeah this is ever so slightly insane

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Baron von Eevl posted:

I would instead say that it is a bold and daring move.

I'm intrigued to know what makes you think that. Personally I think it feels utterly forced and the musical numbers are just terribly written. Not one thing has clicked so far, I'm hoping they somehow do something at the end that pulls it together given their usual history with gimmick episodes, but this is probably the worst thing they've ever made right now.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
I haven't stopped cringing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think I'm witnessing this show jump the shark before my eyes. This is horrific.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
ahahaha what the gently caress

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I am enjoying these jokes, they're landing for me.

:shrug:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

EL BROMANCE posted:

this is probably the worst thing they've ever made right now.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Maybe this would play better if I had ever seen quantum leap

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
The fact that it's a musical is what's bothering me the most.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Okay a random Scott Bakula solo number in the middle of an episode of Sunny has to be worth something, right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The 'why don't you leap up to the third floor, somebody just poo poo' line is the only funny thing so far, unsurprisingly outside of the plot.

Frank doing a thing about being able to say the n-word was just the worst, most obvious direction to take this in. There has to be some kind of payoff, there has to be.

So including that.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
idk i think this episode is pretty good

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hughesta posted:

idk i think this episode is pretty good

Same... Folks are always negative to the formula-breaking episodes but that's how we got the skiing one so speed ever onward with your experimentation, Sunny crew

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Same... Folks are always negative to the formula-breaking episodes but that's how we got the skiing one so speed ever onward with your experimentation, Sunny crew

Their "experimentation" episodes always suck and this is the worst one yet. This is unwatchable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The skiing episode was fantastic though. Best of the season from memory. They even did the 'imagining ourselves in previous lives' way better than 99% of shows with the liberty bell one.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Who is this episode versus, though?

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
This is by far the worst episode of sunny I've ever seen and it isn't even close. Like I have to think it is some kind of longer joke it was so bad.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

:catstare:

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Last Bakula joke redeemed it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok, reveal at the end was good and the last minute or so was back to being funny. Not worth it overall though.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
ok I'm still going with "what the gently caress"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It wasn't traditional Sunny but it was definitely written with an appreciation for 70s musicals and I think we can all give them an odd episode or two if that's what it takes to keep them creatively charged for years to come.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
That episode was a swing and a huge miss. I'm probably jaded a bit because I despise musicals, yet Sunny has always entertained me with their bits, and Nightman Cometh.

C-

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Laughed, Myself, Sick.

The Dee joke to Bakula about his residuals running out and the look on her face slayed me.

What are the rules?

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I loved the episode. What is it with goons and their hatred of musicals?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
It was good

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
My roommate and I thought it was hilarious, and we literally had a conversation earlier today about hating musical episodes of television shows (Fringe: Brown Betty, I'm looking at you).

Charlie's bits, Frank's wanting to say the "N" word, it was awesome.

Winter Fresh
Oct 31, 2011
It was bad

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
I absolutely LOVED this.

Mac and Dennis continually trying to not be racist but still being racist AF was a really good (but not at all subtle) commentary on white america.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Hilario Baldness posted:

My roommate and I thought it was hilarious, and we literally had a conversation earlier today about hating musical episodes of television shows (Fringe: Brown Betty, I'm looking at you).

Charlie's bits, Frank's wanting to say the "N" word, it was awesome.

Charlie's entire sad adventure was good.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
A group of sociopaths, in Philadelphia, become black and star in a musical adaptation of "The Wiz".

I'm laughing typing this sentence.

gently caress You Stephen Sondheim!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

StalkofWheat posted:

I dunno, almost every musical I see is corny as hell.

I always enjoyed the Nightman Cometh because it was also a trainwreck, and the gang are at their best when they're acting like they're bad at acting.

There were definitely good parts of this episode, and I laughed a few times, but it was just not great.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It takes a day for episodes to hit amazon video right?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

StalkofWheat posted:

I think musicals are really fun, and when they're parodied well it's even more amazing. Like, Matt and Trey have an expert understanding of them and know how to lampoon them and the quality of their songwriting is through the roof with tons of catchy melodies.

This felt like just a bunch of quickly penned midi files with singing on top added sporadically through.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

RBA Starblade posted:

It takes a day for episodes to hit amazon video right?

Usually, yeah.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I do not like musicals at all but thought the episode was ok. Frank's Brother status still firmly in place as the worst ever. Loved Quantum Leap, so that added some enjoyment for me. Same as I could see not seeing Ski Patrol would damper your enjoyment of the skiing episode.

They should have just ended the episode with Bakula saying "oh boy" full stop. Would have been funnier IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If we didn't have Frank's Brother, we wouldn't have Shady Nastys though.