Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone played Tattletale yet? It's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Has anyone played Tattletale yet? It's good!

Tell us about it!

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Skyscraper posted:

Tell us about it!

It's reminiscent of the Furby fad of the late 90's, and it's pretty simple in terms of premise. You unbox your xmas gift early, and the tattletale's "mother" starts following you. What's cool is that to progress you gotta take your furby EVERYWHERE with you, which gives your location away if you don't feed it or comb it or recharge it's batteries.

I recommend if you wanna kill a few hours of time

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

to progress you gotta take your furby EVERYWHERE with you

Do they say why that is?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Skyscraper posted:

Do they say why that is?

The gist of it is that by unwrapping your Christmas present early you unknowingly triggered the malevolent Mama to find her babies. Your particularly Tattletail won't stay in its box and instead pesters you to find its errant siblings who are playing hide and seek in your house which is attracting Mama Tattletail.

Making noise attracts Mama and your Tattletail will incessantly whine if it's dirty, hungry, or needs a recharge. The game is basically a better version of that awful hide-from-the-dolls game but there's only one villain who follows some kind of predictable logic and it doesn't scream in your face at 80db above your speakers when you lose.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sakurazuka posted:

What is actually coming out this year other than Resi 7? I know there's a couple of indie things like Scorn and Agony but I dunno if they'll hit 2017.

Chances are we'll get one or two new FNAF games.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

al-azad posted:

The gist of it is that by unwrapping your Christmas present early you unknowingly triggered the malevolent Mama to find her babies. Your particularly Tattletail won't stay in its box and instead pesters you to find its errant siblings who are playing hide and seek in your house which is attracting Mama Tattletail.

Making noise attracts Mama and your Tattletail will incessantly whine if it's dirty, hungry, or needs a recharge. The game is basically a better version of that awful hide-from-the-dolls game but there's only one villain who follows some kind of predictable logic and it doesn't scream in your face at 80db above your speakers when you lose.

I guess I'm more saying, why don't you ditch your Tattletail? Just because you're a kid and it's a toy?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Skyscraper posted:

I guess I'm more saying, why don't you ditch your Tattletail? Just because you're a kid and it's a toy?

I assumed the unstated reason was that until you do what Tattletail wants it won't go back in the box, and if it doesn't go back in the box then Mama won't stop harassing you.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

I assumed the unstated reason was that until you do what Tattletail wants it won't go back in the box, and if it doesn't go back in the box then Mama won't stop harassing you.

I guess if you want an in-universe reason Tattletail is the objective marker so if the kid tossed it they wouldn't know where to find the siblings without scrounging through the entire house and having a harder time of it. The things can also move on their own so your dumb furby will follow you regardless probably.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What loving Furby-like toys had rechargeable batteries back in the day?
:goonsay:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
So.. it's the FNAF 2 plate spinning mechanic combined with first person hide and seek?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

So.. it's the FNAF 2 plate spinning mechanic combined with first person hide and seek?

Yep.

e: Less hide and seek, more scavenger hunt while avoiding a thing that chases you when your furby is hungry.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
HarshlyCritical did a Tattletail playthrough. Looks like a solid game, the Furby knock-off is authentic as gently caress, but it is kind of a one and done.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
The game itself seems just okay. Honestly I probably like the character Tattletail far more so than the game itself.

Me Tattletail, me looooove youuu.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Like I said, it's basically someone took Emily Wants to Play and made a game that doesn't make your ears bleed and isn't an arbitrary series of illogical challenges.

There is a moment that really channels the uncanny valley of Sonic Dreams where you see the shooting of the Tattletail commercial and all the cameras go off as Mama murders the staff. The ending is dumb in a cheeky way and channels the original Nightmare on Elm Street.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

dijon du jour posted:

The game itself seems just okay. Honestly I probably like the character Tattletail far more so than the game itself.

Me Tattletail, me looooove youuu.

I think Furbies literally said this (replacing tattletail with furby obviously)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

I think Furbies literally said this (replacing tattletail with furby obviously)

They also begged for life when you tried to take their batteries out. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Furby-based horror game until now.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

They also begged for life when you tried to take their batteries out. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Furby-based horror game until now.

:ohdear:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Asylum might come out this year? maybe?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, on the official Friday the 13th forums some people were saying the virtual cabin was abandoned because people were taking Jason skins from the files or some poo poo, and that seems really petty of the devs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Uh what's the virtual cabin?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

Uh what's the virtual cabin?

Kind of an ongoing dev diary, or that was the intention, to show off things that were finalized and going in the game, but it hasn't been updated since October and it's unoptimized as all gently caress. $15 bucks on backerkit.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 5, 2017

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So, on the official Friday the 13th forums some people were saying the virtual cabin was abandoned because people were taking Jason skins from the files or some poo poo, and that seems really petty of the devs.

They might be legally obligated to since they don't actually own the rights to the Friday the 13th franchise. Of course, they should give refunds to the backers if that is the case.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Probably should've watermarked those skins. At least then they have an excuse to ban/shame people for it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

They actually said something about it, turns out people were trying to hack into the servers for the Beta and play the game again which are on the same servers that host the Virtual Cabin stuff, so they had to take the servers down to get people to stop loving around and playing the game outside the beta:

Friday The 13th: The Game posted:

Seems people really enjoyed the beta...enough to where we are getting continued attempts to hack our servers to get back into the game.
Unfortunately that means we have shut down our servers that additionally house our Virtual Cabin database. You can still access and complete the Virtual Cabin, but the badges will be affected until we start back up with the full game or we flush out these intrusion attempts.
Apologies. We'll keep you updated.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

s.i.r.e. posted:

They actually said something about it, turns out people were trying to hack into the servers for the Beta and play the game again which are on the same servers that host the Virtual Cabin stuff, so they had to take the servers down to get people to stop loving around and playing the game outside the beta:

Huh, that's weird. Why would they have things set up like that where those things communicate to have made that possible?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Huh, that's weird. Why would they have things set up like that where those things communicate to have made that possible?

It's cheaper running a single server that can handle both jobs than to have a single server dedicated to something that doesn't really need to access the server all that often.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't that friday the 13th game have singleplayer now or did I imagine that?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Doesn't that friday the 13th game have singleplayer now or did I imagine that?

They were going to implement it in the summer, I think.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I have a bug to play another game along the lines of Until Dawn (there are several characters, there's a mystery to solve, things can go differently depending on how badly you gently caress up and get everyone killed). Suggestions?

Phrasing it that way reminds me of the first couple of Clock Towers, actually

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
While I've haven't started it yet, I always heard Obscure 1 is a good game and its exactly what you're looking for. (Bunch of teenagers investigate weird poo poo at their school, monsters show up, and anyone can die if you screw up.) It's been available on Steam for some time now.

I hear the sequel is poo poo though, aside from the great soundtrack.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It's a real shame even though Until Dawn was a success there isn't even a spiritual sequel in talks. There's so much you can do with the vehicle and so many horror tropes to use.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's a real shame even though Until Dawn was a success there isn't even a spiritual sequel in talks. There's so much you can do with the vehicle and so many horror tropes to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL3svUfC8Ds

What, you didn't mean a VR rail shooter did you? I swore I heard you say you wanted a rail shooter.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bert of the Forest posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL3svUfC8Ds

What, you didn't mean a VR rail shooter did you? I swore I heard you say you wanted a rail shooter.

No... No one has ever wanted a rail shooter :(

How the gently caress did that board meeting even go?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The best part of Until Dawn is reading various threads on SA leading up to it where everyone poo poo on it and then the 180 on release

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

The best part of Until Dawn is reading various threads on SA leading up to it where everyone poo poo on it and then the 180 on release
To be fair it had a lot going against it, I mean have you seen the original E3 trailer when it was a Move survival horror game and not an adventure game? It's honestly impressive that it went through that development hell and came out a good game.

Also don't talk poo poo about rail shooters, Umbrella Chronicles and HOD: Overkill are both the poo poo.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jan 7, 2017

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I have a bug to play another game along the lines of Until Dawn (there are several characters, there's a mystery to solve, things can go differently depending on how badly you gently caress up and get everyone killed). Suggestions?

Phrasing it that way reminds me of the first couple of Clock Towers, actually

That does pretty much describe all of David Cage's games, down to the abundance of quick time events. (Except David Cage isn't being ironic about the cheesy writing)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Until Dawn looked a lot like Heavy Rain or Indigo Prophecy but had one key advantage: David Cage wasn't involved

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lifeglug posted:

That does pretty much describe all of David Cage's games, down to the abundance of quick time events. (Except David Cage isn't being ironic about the cheesy writing)
David Cage games are bad though, unlike Until Dawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I remember the lead up to UD's release, this thread was full to the brim of people making GBS threads on Cage and it was loving great. I'm glad the game turned out good, It'll probably be one of the first titles I pick up when I get around to buying the PS4.