Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The infighting is already intense. Just look at how PvE vs PvP arguments or conflicts of HOTAS vs MKB got. Every time CIG releases something it just pisses people off.

Oh sure, totally agree. I view the PvE and PvP as a general disagreement. Sure there are nutballs that want a cargo rape mechanic but those are outliers.

Guess my point is that at the end of the day you take a random sampling of their dreams and you'd be hard-pressed to find two opinions that would be congruent. Thanks to the lack of design documents, imaginations run wild and ultimately they pat each other on the back thinking Robert's grand vision will address all their individual needs before they snuggle in under a warm blankie for the night. The perpetual dream factory not only keeps cash flowing in, it is more or less a lifeline for these souls. Refactors and adjustments are just a patch away that will solve all of their individual issues.

So, when the real details actually manifest themselves from four studios and they disappoint everyone...that's when the real fireworks will start. Releasing the game is the ultimate mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Madcosby posted:

Uh... anyone?

Yeah.

E: when are they putting in baby kidnapping/shooting? I hope they do a free kidnap weekend.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Samizdata posted:

Back on the Overwatch horse, that does a pretty lovely job of being bright, vivid, and colorful while still maintaining a solid, sci fi aesthetic with some coherence.

Yeah. It's a bit cartoonish but a nice stylistic choice.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sillybones posted:

Seriously, gently caress the whole Most Open Development Ever, bullshit. This is the most open development ever:

Updates, day to day changes, long and short term plans: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Long term plans that don't change on a whim: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
Actual, not lying current feature list: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/features.html
Open bug tracking: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/my_view_page.php
Honest and open QA and articles from many sources: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/df_talk.html
Email actual people: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/contact.html
Even more updates and plans: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=4020854bd26dc70704ae8e9bdb3a2516&board=10.0

And has been doing this for years. Without boasting. And it is crowd funded. And it actually exists and always has.

This is good & great.

Subnautica is another good example with their Trello board:

What other games have true open development (not the open-but-closed development of Star Citizen)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sabreseven posted:

PS1 was awesome, had a 'gaming night' with a few friends during it's peak and we ended up playing it for nearly ten hours straight, it started off as a recon run to a technology plant and turned into a battle that would last all night and into the next day.

I logged back in last year to witness the final minutes of game life, the farewell meteor storm was epic. :)

Some buddies and I started a trucking guild. Everyone was being all "LONG LIVE THE FIGHTERS!" and no one was keeping bases stocked with nanites. When some friends and I discovered you could get XPs by driving resupply ANTs around, we were all over that.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh sure, totally agree. I view the PvE and PvP as a general disagreement. Sure there are nutballs that want a cargo rape mechanic but those are outliers.

Guess my point is that at the end of the day you take a random sampling of their dreams and you'd be hard-pressed to find two opinions that would be congruent. Thanks to the lack of design documents, imaginations run wild and ultimately they pat each other on the back thinking Robert's grand vision will address all their individual needs before they snuggle in under a warm blankie for the night. The perpetual dream factory not only keeps cash flowing in, it is more or less a lifeline for these souls. Refactors and adjustments are just a patch away that will solve all of their individual issues.

So, when the real details actually manifest themselves from four studios and they disappoint everyone...that's when the real fireworks will start. Releasing the game is the ultimate mistake.

Case in point: some fan made a video detailing how instancing works; and now the cultist pass it around as fact to justify their 1000 player space battle delusions.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah. It's a bit cartoonish but a nice stylistic choice.

Oh, and it exists. And runs on a potato (my PC). And doesn't take 30Gb to download. I also have yet to t-pose (not counting Reaper's Death Blossom) and have stayed both dressed AND firmly on the ground.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Is it normal for multiplayer games to start with very small player counts slowly expand? Did WOW start with 16 player instances?

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

quote:

We’ve seen a lot of chatter about this, and as a result have asked the team at Foundry 42 to conduct a complete white boxing of the Cutlass interiors. We’ve made this a priority schedule item, and it will be getting started this week. (The ‘shelves’ are intended to be benches, not beds.) - Ben Lesnick, 2014-10-31

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Samizdata posted:

Oh, and it exists. And runs on a potato (my PC). And doesn't take 30Gb to download. I also have yet to t-pose (not counting Reaper's Death Blossom) and have stayed both dressed AND firmly on the ground.

Can you believe that Blizzard got Overwatch to have more than playable character? In less than three years of development even.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

All those features missing is why they could only sell it for $30. That's why Star Citizen costs so much, it's the only game where you can T-pose and fly naked through space with nipple jets.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Glad to see Lesnick fast tracked this through the pipeline.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Colostomy Bag posted:

Glad to see Lesnick fast tracked this through the pipeline.

Its probably just another one

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sum Mors posted:

Can you believe that Blizzard got Overwatch to have more than playable character? In less than three years of development even.
Actually it started development in 2007 according to shitizen rules.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The only thing that gets fast tracked through Lesnicks pipeline is Dominos meat lovers pan pizza.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ManofManyAliases posted:

3 Others. gently caress off. Why do you care so much?

Posting in another 3 threads about either star citizen or derek smart is not very impressive. At least I post in the best Anime threads. The best ones!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

FYI

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15056-The-Shipyard-Sharpening-The-Cutlass

Lol they are literally wasting time and money re-doing ANOTHER asset for an incomplete game

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Spermanent Record posted:

Is it normal for multiplayer games to start with very small player counts slowly expand? Did WOW start with 16 player instances?

Well you've got to start somewhere, the difference is Blizzard knows that having a thousand people in an instance is one of the most important foundations of the game so made sure that was rock solid before they tacked on a thousand other tiny systems that rely on it and make debugging it harder

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Sappo569 posted:

FYI

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15056-The-Shipyard-Sharpening-The-Cutlass

Lol they are literally wasting time and money re-doing ANOTHER asset for an incomplete game

lol as if they care, prolonging it just makes Chris and Sandi richer

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

FYI

Which brings us back to engineering debt. We stand in awe on the funds they raise for a concept sale but in all actuality the monies raised cannot possibly pay for the development of said ships. The more they sell the deeper the grave. Certain things like the space Harley might be exempt, but the airliner is the poster child of writing checks that Roberts can't cash.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sappo569 posted:

FYI

You do all the art first and then you just layer the mechanics on top of it.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

XK posted:

Anybody else been thinking about this?

I don't personally want to rape babies and slaughter the elderly but I reckon it ought to be possible in the bdsse.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I don't personally want to rape babies and slaughter the elderly

Well, that's your choice, but it will limit the number of orgs that you'll find acceptable.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

trucutru posted:

Posting in another 3 threads about either star citizen or derek smart is not very impressive. At least I post in the best Anime threads. The best ones!

I shoot guns and I fish. Neither have anything to do with Smartypants.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

scrubs season six posted:

Well, that's your choice, but it will limit the number of orgs that you'll find acceptable.

I'll be the one that mixes the drinks while you and xk rape the babies.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ManofManyAliases posted:

I shoot guns and I fish. Neither have anything to do with Smartypants.
Have you tried just using a net?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sappo569 posted:

FYI

Do you think they're redoing it because they want to make a game? Or are they redoing it because the only thing the Star Citizen team has that can deliver results is the art department?

If they can build hype by rebuilding the same ship 20 times over, and they get a cool 2 mil a month because of this fraudulent "progress", why not? I don't think CIG is in the business of actually making anything except money that will stay in their pockets.

Maybe next week we'll see Hat #63, or maybe the much vaunted "female avatar" again. Extra points if it's naked in a wireframe and or the grey no-texture-applied state. That should net in easily a smooth 5mil around February when the backers start to get pissy again.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

scrubs season six posted:

You do all the art first and then you just layer the mechanics on top of it.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

The Titanic posted:

Do you think they're redoing it because they want to make a game? Or are they redoing it because the only thing the Star Citizen team has that can deliver results is the art department?

If they can build hype by rebuilding the same ship 20 times over, and they get a cool 2 mil a month because of this fraudulent "progress", why not? I don't think CIG is in the business of actually making anything except money that will stay in their pockets.

Maybe next week we'll see Hat #63, or maybe the much vaunted "female avatar" again. Extra points if it's naked in a wireframe and or the grey no-texture-applied state. That should net in easily a smooth 5mil around February when the backers start to get pissy again.

The Ice Queen does get pretty good at tweeting pictures of developers computer screens. I bet she has an album full that she took in a day and tweets them out when morale is low.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Codependent Poster posted:

I really want to point a gun at a baby. Anybody else thinking about this?

I wouldn't point a gun at the baby but I'll serve it mixed drinks until it's little baby brain explodes.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Ding ding ding ding ding ding ding

*bell would explode if it was finished*
2014 2015 2016 2017 2018?

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Eldragon posted:

Prediction: cig rolls 3.0 out in a few months, with a dramatically reduced feature set. CR makes a bunch of excuses, and MOMA accepts the excuses as fact and declares that 3.0 was delivered feature complete as promised. This coincides with a ship sale of course. Oh and Derek blogs about how he predicted the above sentence, but it's waiting too clear legal.

What has happened before will happen again. What has been done before will be done again. There is nothing new in the whole 'verse.

MoMA doesn't like to use the phrase "feature complete as promised", far too close to honesty. He prefers the lawyer-ly term "technically".

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

honestly knowing sandis twitter feed that photo could have been taken anytime in the past three years

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://relay.sc/article/star-citizen-2015

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

dare to dream relay, dare to dream

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

lol I ve seen a few comments from shillizens reacting to the Mass Effect release date announcement along the lines of...

"Great news! but it is really a shame that it is timed to maximize the end of the current fiscal year"

Can anyone confirm if this link stating CIG's end of fiscal year at 31Decembre is a reliable source? http://www.privco.com/private-company/cloud-imperium-games-corporation

I presume CIG is actually paying taxes?

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 5, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:allears:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sappo569 posted:

FYI

Well what are you going to do, just fire the 300 artists???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I wouldn't point a gun at the baby but I'll serve it mixed drinks until it's little baby brain explodes.

You guys do NOT get this right. DREAM here! Point the gun at the baby until you train it to earn a living serving YOU mixed drinks. Little beggar costs too much otherwise.

EDIT: This levy is space bullshit, but tis being honored, as is required.
It's sisn't a cat, but it is topical.

Might I recommend we institute a six hour probation for all those lazy beggars that don't or outright refuse to pay their taxes? Not the most enjoyable job for me, but I never miss one.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 5, 2017