Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Pulled Yda BSB from a 1/11, so I guess I am now doing a Monk fireteam.

Yda BSB/Refia BSB/Steiner Imperil/Healer/Ramza

Every team I find myself using has no second slot for ProShellga :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

gently caress it I don't need to reload. :zombie:

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Dollar pulled Yda's burst. Uh. Is it actually good? I've got Refia's already, but no source of imperil-fire.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Lightning imperil adventures on Aiatar trip report: what happens to a dragon that gets struck by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else :getin:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Garuda went down like a chump to my new holy team, the CM was a bit harder because the bastard kept moving out of melee range right when I was about to reapply Full Break. Only took a couple S/Ls, although Yda ate it on my successful attempt.

XIII event got pushed back to the 6th for some reason, what the hell am I gonna do all day tomorrow now that I'm caught up?

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Kawalimus posted:

Oh man the screen after this android update is AWFUL looking

Look at this dumb bullshit. Look at all the wasted space at the bottom. Why was this update necessary??

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Hmm, this V U++ is gonna be interesting. I think my mage hones are actually alright now (R4 on all -aja and -aga spells, R4 Valefor and all the 3* summons) but I don't have Meltdown yet and my Alphinaud and Papalymo, who are like 75% of my mage team's power right now, are both only level 65 because I ran out of eggs. Not sure if I'm going to be able to swing this one, especially since I'd have to RW wall or else bring Y'Shtola, who is only level 55, and RW OK on her, which would probably be totally poo poo damage.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Garuda went down like a chump to my new holy team, the CM was a bit harder because the bastard kept moving out of melee range right when I was about to reapply Full Break. Only took a couple S/Ls, although Yda ate it on my successful attempt.

XIII event got pushed back to the 6th for some reason, what the hell am I gonna do all day tomorrow now that I'm caught up?

Keep running Aiatar / Coeurl until you get the 10k greens :getin:

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 5, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

I dunno whether I was lucky or whether this was just well suited to my group composition,

Nah, pseudo-mage-meta against U+ Ishegard seems the way to go. Bad Paralysis RNG is basically the only way the dragon can stand up to a crippling weakness to Chain Firaga/Meltdown/Scorching Flames and the sudden influx of FF14 SBs everyone is likely to have.

Grozz Nuy posted:

Grind for RMs and/or rub your face against FF3 daily.

Kaninrail posted:

Dollar pulled Yda's burst. Uh. Is it actually good? I've got Refia's already, but no source of imperil-fire.

It's very... situational. If you have a way of keeping Yda from soaking hits (Blink/MBlink spam, Draw Fire/Magic Lure on single-target attacking enemies) then it has the potential to spiral massively out of control and be ludicrous DPS on par with or even better than Refia's. If not, well... it's okay.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Only took two tries to down Aiatar Apoc. Having two Y'shtolas with SS2 and Asylum is nice. Even when you accidentally use Asylum and not SS2 at the start of the fight, and the other Y'shtola is spamming Wrath because they're not using Mog/Mako RMs. :downs:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
What do you mean by S/L?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Kaninrail posted:

Basically; can you keep her from taking damage? If so, she'll get faster and faster and stronger and stronger. Once she gets rolling like that I'd say it approaches Firion's BSB in power. Worst case scenario? It's an 8 hit fire/non fullbreak. That's not bad in itself. And it comes with its own +fire fist too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

hooman posted:

What do you mean by S/L?

It's shorthand for "save/load" but that's a bit of a misnomer. Basically, if a single-player battle goes pear-shaped (but before you completely party wipe or clear the fight), force close the app and start it back up. Select "ok" to pick up where you left off, and you'll start at the beginning of the fight you were on as if none of that had happened.

Basically, it's a handy 'reset' switch for mid-fight bullshit.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

hooman posted:

What do you mean by S/L?
Save/Load. The idea is that the game auto-saves progress before every round of combat, so if things go pear-shaped in a given round then you can just quit the game and restart at the beginning of that round. This exploit (really, what else is it?) is most often used for bosses, since a number of them have a few luck-based mechanics (see above with Isgebind) that have the potential to really screw an encounter when the RNG becomes unfavorable.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
So for some reason I remember people saying Vaan's OSB was one of the weaker ones due to it relying on having some set up before it can be at full strength, but thinking about it now that I have it that doesn't make much sense because all the set up it needs is just landing Full Break, which should be done anyways, and once you do that its potency suddenly is the highest out of all of the physical OSB's. Basically Vaan is the best and shame on anyone who doubted his power.

EDIT: Just beat Ultima Weapon and I think that is the first time I have actually made good use of Ashe's 3* White Mage, because I gave her Curaga so that she could be a back up healer to Y'shtola when I am not having her use Alexander.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 5, 2017

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Black Mage Knight posted:

So for some reason I remember people saying Vaan's OSB was one of the weaker ones due to it relying on having some set up before it can be at full strength, but thinking about it now that I have it that doesn't make much sense because all the set up it needs is just landing Full Break, which should be done anyways, and once you do that its potency suddenly is the highest out of all of the physical OSB's. Basically Vaan is the best and shame on anyone who doubted his power.

EDIT: Just beat Ultima Weapon and I think that is the first time I have actually made good use of Ashe's 3* White Mage, because I gave her Curaga so that she could be a back up healer to Y'shtola when I am not having her use Alexander.

It's one of the weaker ones simply due to the fact that it is non-elemental. Simply using a single +element weapon or armor allows a 1200 potency elemental OSB to effectively hit a neutral target for 1440, which is more than the maxed out potency of Vaan's OSB. Add to that the possibility of wearing a second +element damage equipment for a total of +40% damage, as well as en-element buffs to increase damage (+80%) and you can see why non-elemental OSBs just do not have the potential that elemental ones do.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Full break brings it up to 13 power, with other physical OSBs being around 12. You can get it to 14 if you also break mind, but that's basically it. Meanwhile, elemental OSBs can hit weaknesses, have access to element boosting equipment, and can combo with en-element SBS. A bunch of them come with non-elemental secondary damage so it's not even any safer than them. I'm not saying it's bad exactly but it's definitely not at the top.

Edit: also, hitting weaknesses charges the SB gauge faster, which means more OSBs. And imperils can give a neutral enemy a weakness.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 5, 2017

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

KataraniSword posted:

It's shorthand for "save/load" but that's a bit of a misnomer. Basically, if a single-player battle goes pear-shaped (but before you completely party wipe or clear the fight), force close the app and start it back up. Select "ok" to pick up where you left off, and you'll start at the beginning of the fight you were on as if none of that had happened.

Basically, it's a handy 'reset' switch for mid-fight bullshit.

NGDBSS posted:

Save/Load. The idea is that the game auto-saves progress before every round of combat, so if things go pear-shaped in a given round then you can just quit the game and restart at the beginning of that round. This exploit (really, what else is it?) is most often used for bosses, since a number of them have a few luck-based mechanics (see above with Isgebind) that have the potential to really screw an encounter when the RNG becomes unfavorable.

Thanks a lot, I didn't know that. It'll help a lot being able to retry when I'm wiping against this 60 stamina boss.

How often should I be reapplying breaks? There's a visual effect for protect/shell but I have no idea how long my breaks are lasting on bosses.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Got nothing useful with my $1 pull on XIV banner 2, so I decided to toss 50 mythril at banner 1 again in hopes of maybe getting Minfilia's BSB sword or one of Alphinaud's items.

Got a second Holy Shield, an Omnirod and Y'shtola's BSB hat. :v:

On the other hand, at least I didn't get another Thrysus. :v:

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

:feelsgood:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Jesus y'all weren't kidding about Vanille's BSB in multiplayer. With mitigation up, nobody ever went below 90% health during the entire Apocalypse Aiatar fight. I have enough MND with synergy gear to give her BSB 100% uptime, it's completely nuts.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

hooman posted:

How often should I be reapplying breaks? There's a visual effect for protect/shell but I have no idea how long my breaks are lasting on bosses.
Breaks don't always last for the same amount of time, so you'll want to check how long a given one lasts. Usually abilities will last for 15 seconds while soul breaks will last for 25 seconds, but there are a few outliers here and there. Given that, you generally want to reapply ability breaks every ~3 turns (or 4 on a high-SPD character) and those from soul breaks every ~6 turns, since a hasted turn will take about 4 seconds to process between the yellow ATB and the red charge bar.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Jesus y'all weren't kidding about Vanille's BSB in multiplayer. With mitigation up, nobody ever went below 90% health during the entire Apocalypse Aiatar fight. I have enough MND with synergy gear to give her BSB 100% uptime, it's completely nuts.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with relation to MND and BSB uptime. The duration of the attack/defend buttons becoming BSB commands is not affected by anything, its a flat 15 seconds. The only thing thus affecting "uptime" is how quickly you can build SB gauge to recast the BSB when it runs out (using wrath/lifesiphon, hitting weakness, using entrust, getting hit more by the enemy, SB building RM's like lionheart/ace striker).

I think the haste from the BSB is affected by mind, so maybe that's what you mean?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

NGDBSS posted:

Breaks don't always last for the same amount of time, so you'll want to check how long a given one lasts. Usually abilities will last for 15 seconds while soul breaks will last for 25 seconds, but there are a few outliers here and there. Given that, you generally want to reapply ability breaks every ~3 turns (or 4 on a high-SPD character) and those from soul breaks every ~6 turns, since a hasted turn will take about 4 seconds to process between the yellow ATB and the red charge bar.

Thanks very much :)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

OSBs may not be as useful or as good as BSBs over time but holy poo poo does it feel good slamming a nuke down for 100k

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???
Dear people in MP, no you cannot run two mages, especially not Vivi in the front row you dumb idiot. You don't have to blow your elemental BSB/OSB the moment you get a charge, we would all appreciate it if you waited until the mob's weakness phase.

Dear DENA, please add "Wall please!" "I'll cast Wall" stickers, it will save many tears and wasted soul breaks.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

flowinprose posted:

I'm not sure what you're talking about with relation to MND and BSB uptime. The duration of the attack/defend buttons becoming BSB commands is not affected by anything, its a flat 15 seconds. The only thing thus affecting "uptime" is how quickly you can build SB gauge to recast the BSB when it runs out (using wrath/lifesiphon, hitting weakness, using entrust, getting hit more by the enemy, SB building RM's like lionheart/ace striker).

I think the haste from the BSB is affected by mind, so maybe that's what you mean?

Ah, maybe so! So far every time I've used it I've been able to use it again before the BSB runs out, which is pretty amazing given how strong it is. I'll have to test that without haste - I thought some BSB durations scaled with stats but maybe I was thinking of something else.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Adel posted:

Dear people in MP, no you cannot run two mages, especially not Vivi in the front row you dumb idiot. You don't have to blow your elemental BSB/OSB the moment you get a charge, we would all appreciate it if you waited until the mob's weakness phase.

Dear DENA, please add "Wall please!" "I'll cast Wall" stickers, it will save many tears and wasted soul breaks.

It's viable to run two mages, you just have to Defend with the front row one until mitigation is up. And in an ideal world I'd like to have Vivi in the back row, but c'est la vive.

Full-mage (with 1-2 supports) MP parties can be and are a viable thing.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

acumen posted:

OSBs may not be as useful or as good as BSBs over time but holy poo poo does it feel good slamming a nuke down for 100k

Yeah pretty much. And I like them for spike damage toward the end of a fight. For the U+ I just stacked 3 SB bars for Terra's OSB and dropped him 220k in 3 rounds.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Just beat apoc Aiatar on my first try in multi, Thrillgamesh Drawtaliate was very useful again. Also, someone brought The Echo, which did OSB-level damage on its second cast thanks to Minfilia's Enholy and Aiatar's toxic pool making him Holy-Weak. Overall this boss is easy as gently caress compared to Gilgamesh.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

My budgeted pull for XIV2 was outright bonkers. 5/11 with Temple Gloves, Aug Tekko, Lilith Rod, Kaiser Knuckles (x2).

Incredible. With this I have a really solid fire exploits team with Steiner, Krile, Yda, and Papalymo.

...now do I combine these Kaiser Knuckles...

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

AweStriker posted:

My budgeted pull for XIV2 was outright bonkers. 5/11 with Temple Gloves, Aug Tekko, Lilith Rod, Kaiser Knuckles (x2).

Incredible. With this I have a really solid fire exploits team with Steiner, Krile, Yda, and Papalymo.

...now do I combine these Kaiser Knuckles...

Not gonna be another 14 event for a loooooooong time. An extra ten attack on a +element weapon is useful everywhere though.

AstraSage
May 13, 2013

I have to thank the fact I lucked out in the XIV Banner 1, because I managed to complete my First CM by constantly layering Alphie's Deployment Tactics with either Papa's Faithga/Hastega or Minifilia's Boostga/Last-Stand while Ysh'tola's BSB saved my toast despite not being my Most Valuable Move (that honor goes to the Fires Within + Chain Firaga Tag Team)...

That U+ fight was still a huge doozy with all that munition and RW Wall, though.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Smoldering Fire owns. Tyro dealt almost 15K to the ice boss with it, without a damage boosting RM. I'm liking this direction ninja magic is taking

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Adel posted:

In the same vein: I brought OK with his burst. Wait until you have the buff before you blow your OSB on turn one.

Also the number of parties I joined tonight with every healer packing protectga was amazing. Doesn't anyone check what abilities everyone else is bringing? (I know the answer is no.)

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
I did the new MP for lowbies earlier and it was real fun, I wish there were alot more battles like that to do. Some guy was running double mage and basically did all our damage. I brought tyro and rosa and pretended to be useful by casting buffs.

If I do this in the harder fights will people be able to carry me for that sweet mythril in the harder dungeons? Or is that a horrible idea and I will just be wasting everyone's time? How many hones on breakdowns/shellga/etc do I need to be useful for my fellow DPS friends?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

MannersPlease posted:

I did the new MP for lowbies earlier and it was real fun, I wish there were alot more battles like that to do. Some guy was running double mage and basically did all our damage. I brought tyro and rosa and pretended to be useful by casting buffs.

If I do this in the harder fights will people be able to carry me for that sweet mythril in the harder dungeons? Or is that a horrible idea and I will just be wasting everyone's time? How many hones on breakdowns/shellga/etc do I need to be useful for my fellow DPS friends?
You could maaaaaaybe make it in the 160, depending on your levels and SBs, but in 200 difficulty everyone needs to be contributing.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Don't pull when tired and half-asleep already. Got Alphinaud's Coat (again) and Minfilia's shield. Still no bursts. This also means I'm giving up my XIII pull or my Tactics pull.

In good news, I have some really good homemade hot cocoa. So that's kinda cool. Dunno how exactly it was made, but it's cocoa, it's hot, and it makes me feel better. Yay?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I really wish you could set Optimize to ignore soul breaks :< Stupid default breaks suck.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

man that ice dragon U+ CM managed to piss me off. aoe paralyze spam is obnoxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Since everyone wants to get their cummies spamming fire attacks vs Aiatar I just bring Agrias with +40% Knight RM, gaia cross + saint cross, and chain her BSB into cleansing strike. What's that Aiatar? You're nibbling me for 150 damage? :getin:

• Locked thread