Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SaltPig posted:

Inquisitions character creator was really good and it was pretty easy to make characters that looks as good or better then the default. I just wish they would release it early. It takes forever, then you realize the lighting was poo poo and have to start over.

I wish it (and all character creator games) had had a speaking animation test. Plenty of times I've had to restart because the lips/mouth that I thought looked pretty good on the static model looked terrible in motion. Lips that look like Shepard got stung by a bee and is allergic, a mouth like Jamie Foxx's character Wanda, overbites like something out of a Groening cartoon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also Inq was terrible for Qunari because all their hair was terrible.

And they didn't get any cool light armor looks which sucked for my mage. :(

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zore posted:

Also Inq was terrible for Qunari because all their hair was terrible.

And they didn't get any cool light armor looks which sucked for my mage. :(

Between lightning powers and that yellow quilt-type armour, my Solas did a pretty good Shocker cosplay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lobok posted:

I wish it (and all character creator games) had had a speaking animation test. Plenty of times I've had to restart because the lips/mouth that I thought looked pretty good on the static model looked terrible in motion. Lips that look like Shepard got stung by a bee and is allergic, a mouth like Jamie Foxx's character Wanda, overbites like something out of a Groening cartoon...

They had this in Dragon Age Origins. It has not been seen since in a bioware game. Yeah, the game where your character is silent outside of combat barks had a mouth test as you chose their voice.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 4, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I think DAI had it too, but I'm not firing it up again to check

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arcsquad12 posted:

They had this in Dragon Age Origins. It has not been seen since.

Never played that one but I remember seeing it some other game... maybe... once...?

Voice testing is more common.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DancingShade posted:

You could fast travel to the main hall but had to manually go through another loading screen through a door.

As far as I remember.
That's correct. A lot of that dumb poo poo had to do with it being released on last gen and current gen. I think like with the new Normandy there won't be any loading screens for the next DA.

JawKnee posted:

I think DAI had it too, but I'm not firing it up again to check
Yup.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Codependent Poster posted:

The best Bioware faces were models that they scanned into the game. The faces created with their engine all look bad compared to those. Seems like they're not using any models for Andromeda? Doesn't seem to me, anyway, which probably explains why the Ryders look so blah to begin with.

They said every preset is gonna be scanned off face models. So 4-6 or so for each of the Ryders.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hopefully they bring face codes back, I was baffled when DAI didn't have them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Veotax posted:

Hopefully they bring face codes back, I was baffled when DAI didn't have them.

It makes sense, why add any interesting or unique tidbit into an otherwise lifeless game?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It'd need to be a more complex system (like a qr code), because there were more sliders and they had finer divisions.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SaltPig posted:

Inquisitions character creator was really good and it was pretty easy to make characters that looks as good or better then the default. I just wish they would release it early. It takes forever, then you realize the lighting was poo poo and have to start over.

I'm not sure it qualifies as a Bioware game if you don't have the experience of spending a half hour creating your character, only to go through an unskippable opening sequence before doing a spit take and starting over because your character is actually hideous.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Did Fallout 4 have face codes? Or like, a face file that could be spread around the internet and downloaded? it had A LOT of slider states.

And yeah, holy poo poo who was the genius at Bioware who thought that lighting was okay in character creation for Inquisition?

Personally, I'm looking forward to more dramatic slow walking in Andromeda. That is always great, and really makes me enjoy what I'm doing.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Drifter posted:

Did Fallout 4 have face codes? Or like, a face file that could be spread around the internet and downloaded? it had A LOT of slider states.

Nope. Skyrim & Fallout 3/NV had this using mods, FO4 & SkyrimSE probably will soon after they get the script extender working.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Drifter posted:

And yeah, holy poo poo who was the genius at Bioware who thought that lighting was okay in character creation for Inquisition?

Don't worry, there's the Black Emporium DLC that lets you change your appearance later on (and inexplicably uses the same loving lighting).

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

DAI had something like it where you chose character voice.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Torrannor posted:

gently caress you, Bioware. There's no reason that we have to wait 2 days before getting this game, too! I can understand releasing it in North America first and then in Europe the next day, because fail US gamers would otherwise cry like little bitches when Europeans inevitably finish the game before them. But tacking on an extra day? Why??

It's progress in that we had to wait 3 days for Inquisition, but it's still poo poo.

The most blessed regions will never have this turd released there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nerdz posted:

I somehow made a blonde char with blue eyes on inquisition when I though it was actually black hair and black eyes. That was some lovely lighting on char creation.

Why would you be surprised at a blonde Char?

It's pretty much been the default since 1979.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Torrannor posted:

gently caress you, Bioware. There's no reason that we have to wait 2 days before getting this game, too! I can understand releasing it in North America first and then in Europe the next day, because fail US gamers would otherwise cry like little bitches when Europeans inevitably finish the game before them. But tacking on an extra day? Why??

It's progress in that we had to wait 3 days for Inquisition, but it's still poo poo.

Europe cucked again. :smugdon:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mass Effect part of the keynote is starting.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2017/01/04/live-nvidia-ces-2017-keynote/

edit: that...was brief.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 5, 2017

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My phone's autocorrect wants to change Mass Effect Andromeda to Mass Effect Nastiness.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
yeah I wasn't counting but that felt like... a minute of footage? meh.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Apparently the new Mass Effect will have menus.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016

TotalHell posted:

and Peebee.

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

I enjoyed seeing the CEO of Nvidia nerd out about element zero.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Apparently you can change your profile on the fly, something like titles in a Tales game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsdYjQgcFHA

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

TotalHell posted:

Okay, sounds good, I'm interested...

And just like that, the magic is gone.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Tempest is a ridiculously ugly ship.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Compared to the Normandy I think it's an OG Enterprise versus Next Generation thing, for me. It's different because it has to be, but I don't feel strongly about it.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I like that they were playing as "Defaultprofile Ryder."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So swapping between the six classes on the fly looks a little weird. I wonder how that works. I was under the impression that you could just pick from a list of powers.

Is it more like a jobs system from a Final Fantasy game? Where you have to level up the classes to unlock more powers? That sounds like something really hard to balance between overpowered or spread too thin.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Milky Moor posted:

The Tempest is a ridiculously ugly ship.

This. The Normandy was so pretty and smooth. :(

Well at least combat looks decent, I'm digging those side dashes and jet pack jumps

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Geostomp posted:

So swapping between the six classes on the fly looks a little weird. I wonder how that works. I was under the impression that you could just pick from a list of powers.

Is it more like a jobs system from a Final Fantasy game? Where you have to level up the classes to unlock more powers? That sounds like something really hard to balance between overpowered or spread too thin.

From what I saw, you have your basic Combat / Tech / Biotic categories for skills, and you can learn anything you want and equip up to 3 different abilities. Classes from ME are now called Profiles, which grant various buffs to stuff, like Soldier boosts weapon damage, while Engineer boosts tech damage. You can rank up Profiles, and skills have branching options just like ME3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Geostomp posted:

You level up the powers to unlock the classes. Classes, or "profiles," just give you a bonus to the kinds of powers you are already leveling up. If you level up the tech attack and defense abilities, you unlock the Engineer class and can choose it to enhance a loadout with those abilities, but you can also buy Biotic Charge and slot it in, but it won't get boosted because it's not tech.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Geostomp posted:

That sounds like something really hard to balance between overpowered or spread too thin.

It looks like you get 3 active skills and a profile passive skill at once (pretty much like ME3MP, no surprises there) so that should help with balance a bit.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
How do I stop myself from seeing and hearing "Peepee"

Please.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Start calling her Peanut Butter.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Bongo Bill posted:

Start calling her Peanut Butter.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Get outta cryo-sleep, there'll be no more nappin'. 'Cause you've flown to galaxy where anything can happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

BrianWilly posted:

How do I stop myself from seeing and hearing "Peepee"

Please.

You don't. You just have to...let it out.