Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

Have you not played DAINQ? Because this looks like DAINQ with better combat (in that most everything will have better combat than DAINQ) but the same structure.

Please don't jynx it, because holy poo poo I just could not stand that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I liked the combat in Inquisition.

But this looks like ME3, which I liked way more.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AngryBooch posted:

Have you not played DAINQ? Because this looks like DAINQ with better combat (in that most everything will have better combat than DAINQ) but the same structure.

DAINQ with better combat, and the same structure should be great.

The reason I hated DAINQ was because the side poo poo was boring because the combat was boring.

I did every single mission and 100% all three of the ME games. Because even when I was on some MMO rear end kill group here quest the combat Loop was fun.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I hope bioware remembered to make the game fun amidst all their big concept stuff.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dexo posted:

DAINQ with better combat, and the same structure should be great.

The reason I hated DAINQ was because the side poo poo was boring because the combat was boring.

I did every single mission and 100% all three of the ME games. Because even when I was on some MMO rear end kill group here quest the combat Loop was fun.

I saw Ryder looting a crystal to pick up Lithium like she was picking herbs in DAI and then a slow on-foot scanning mechanic and am dreading their prominence.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked Inquisition's combat and crafting systems a lot more than Witcher 3's. I'd also like it if crafting systems went away forever outside of base building.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked Inquisition's combat and crafting systems a lot more than Witcher 3's. I'd also like it if crafting systems went away forever outside of base building.

:prepop:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Waltzing Along posted:

When is this thing happening?

nerdz posted:

There's more gameplay footage coming out today, right?

They're supposed to show stuff off during the Nvidia keynote, which is scheduled from 6:30 to 7:30.

Serf
May 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I liked building gear, but I'm weird. Leave it in but make it totally optional.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Witcher 3 combat and crafting is utter garbage.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
DA3 had very good combat. People who didn't like it probably played it on easy and left the rest of the party to their own devices.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think crafting should always be optional when there's difficulty levels. Optional and game-breaking on normal, necessary on hard.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Zore posted:

Witcher 3 combat and crafting is utter garbage.

Ok, less tedious and boat loads better than DA:I at any rate, I think.
At least crafting doesn't require obscene amounts of each resource and it's all so plentiful just from contracts and quest rewards alone that you don't ever actually have to really LOOK for the materials.

TW3's combat definitely seems to be polarizing but I didn't mind it at all, roll and dodge and heavy hits while slapping on Quen and utilizing potions and oils.
Felt like a dance almost.(appropriate since Witcher fighting is likened to dancing anyways)

Mymla posted:

DA3 had very good combat. People who didn't like it probably played it on easy and left the rest of the party to their own devices.

Or cause it felt like a hosed up hybrid between pnp combat and hack and slash and it just didn't work at all and in fact was just plain tedious especially with the horrible UI and forcing one to basically babysit each party member is poo poo and a pain in the rear end thanks to a useless tactical camera!(why did they gimp the behavior customization so much? it was amazing in DA:O)

Deakul fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 4, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If it's optional why even dedicate the resources to developing it as a feature.

Serf
May 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

If it's optional why even dedicate the resources to developing it as a feature.

The same reasons as you dedicate resources to any optional feature.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I don't even remember the combat in DAINQ. It was just regular...stuff, right? Not particularly involved or interesting.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They could only use recycled assets for optional sidequests, then every game could be like DA2.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Ok, less tedious and boat loads better than DA:I at any rate, I think.
At least crafting doesn't require obscene amounts of each resource and it's all so plentiful just from contracts and quest rewards alone that you don't ever actually have to really LOOK for the materials.

TW3's combat definitely seems to be polarizing but I didn't mind it at all, roll and dodge and heavy hits while slapping on Quen and utilizing potions and oils.
Felt like a dance almost.(appropriate since Witcher fighting is likened to dancing anyways)

That or boosting up sign intensity to 1000% and just igni people to death.

also instakill everyone in a 20 yard radius with ice aard after the expansions.

I liked how "out of the way" the combat felt in TW3, but I think I had more fun customizing gear than actually fighting.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Pattonesque posted:

Release date is March 21

http://x.ea.com/28373

quote:

I’m excited to announce that Mass EffectTM: Andromeda will be launching in North America on Tuesday, March 21, 2017 and beginning Thursday, March 23, 2017 in Europe.

gently caress you, Bioware. There's no reason that we have to wait 2 days before getting this game, too! I can understand releasing it in North America first and then in Europe the next day, because fail US gamers would otherwise cry like little bitches when Europeans inevitably finish the game before them. But tacking on an extra day? Why??

It's progress in that we had to wait 3 days for Inquisition, but it's still poo poo.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Torrannor posted:

gently caress you, Bioware. There's no reason that we have to wait 2 days before getting this game, too! I can understand releasing it in North America first and then in Europe the next day, because fail US gamers would otherwise cry like little bitches when Europeans inevitably finish the game before them. But tacking on an extra day? Why??

It's progress in that we had to wait 3 days for Inquisition, but it's still poo poo.

You're adorable.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

The VPN region foolery still works with Origin releases so just do that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Jeza posted:

I don't even remember the combat in DAINQ. It was just regular...stuff, right? Not particularly involved or interesting.
Yeah. I can see where people who really liked the RTWP stuff from Origins would be put off by the simplified version, but I didn't really give a poo poo so it was fine for me. I never got into DAI's MP like I did ME3's, since while it wasn't painful it also wasn't super engaging. I'm not playing DA for awesome combat though, I play for story. If I want involved fantasy combat requiring tactics I've got Dark Souls (I'm one of those people who found W3's combat to be absolute poop so like DA I play it for story).

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubponticatePoster posted:

Yeah. I can see where people who really liked the RTWP stuff from Origins would be put off by the simplified version, but I didn't really give a poo poo so it was fine for me. I never got into DAI's MP like I did ME3's, since while it wasn't painful it also wasn't super engaging. I'm not playing DA for awesome combat though, I play for story. If I want involved fantasy combat requiring tactics I've got Dark Souls (I'm one of those people who found W3's combat to be absolute poop so like DA I play it for story).

Yeah, Witcher 3 combat was very underwhelming and if it was at least as good as Dragon's Dogma it would have been amazing. Thankfully it was rather easy to trivialize combat with igni abuse , since fire damage dealt % of hp damage so you could kill enemies dozens of levels above you as easy as same level enemies.

I guess the trick is, if you're going to have bad combat at least don't make it time consuming.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The resource collection in Inquisition is a somewhat separate issue that I'm more or less ambivalent about but the actual crafting mechanics themselves were very annoying.

Splitting up crafting among four or five separate physical stations that you had to move to your character to is a baffling design decision. Not being able to compare the crafting possibilities with what your character's currently have, let alone comparing to your global inventory (like the stuff in storage), was the truly terrible aspect. And IIRC, not being able to clear out the crafting menus of very obsolete and worthless schematics was the cherry on top.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

I was pretty sure the US is all about tuesday releases for some reason and europe is all about friday releases for some reason, so you should be happy its a thursday. I could be mistaken and forgotten things but I could swear thats how its been for years.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There is no way I'm playing as either Ryder without making custom faces - they both look like chumps. At least my versions will look that way on purpose.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Lobok posted:

Splitting up crafting among four or five separate physical stations that you had to move to your character to is a baffling design decision.

That's annoying, yeah, but at least those stations are all in the same room, rather than being in two separate countries like W3.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The different crafting stations was such a dumb choice. I forget, could you fast travel to the crafting room, or did you have to go through the castle every time?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lycus posted:

The different crafting stations was such a dumb choice. I forget, could you fast travel to the crafting room, or did you have to go through the castle every time?

You could fast travel to the main hall but had to manually go through another loading screen through a door.

As far as I remember.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Source ur quotes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

DancingShade posted:

You could fast travel to the main hall but had to manually go through another loading screen through a door.

As far as I remember.

Yeah, the crafting area was in its own loading zone in the castle. There was a fast travel point within clicking distance of the door though.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

DancingShade posted:

There is no way I'm playing as either Ryder without making custom faces - they both look like chumps. At least my versions will look that way on purpose.

I actually appreciate how bad the default Ryders look, I am confident I can make one that looks better. I could never make a make a Shepard that even looked like the same species as the default.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DancingShade posted:

As far as I remember.

Yup, to fast travel to the assignments map or the crafting area you had to warp to the throne stone first.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Nope. Had to traipse to the throne room, then go downstairs. Each and every time.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DancingShade posted:

Has there been any word on being able to easily share custom faces like in ME 2 & 3? I never could get any face to look right.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The best Bioware faces were models that they scanned into the game. The faces created with their engine all look bad compared to those. Seems like they're not using any models for Andromeda? Doesn't seem to me, anyway, which probably explains why the Ryders look so blah to begin with.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

The best Bioware faces were models that they scanned into the game. The faces created with their engine all look bad compared to those. Seems like they're not using any models for Andromeda? Doesn't seem to me, anyway, which probably explains why the Ryders look so blah to begin with.

Scott Ryder is a scanned model.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 4, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I hope they show off a little character creation so we can see how bad the customizable faces will look compared to the scanned actor/actress ones.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Inquisitions character creator was really good and it was pretty easy to make characters that looks as good or better then the default. I just wish they would release it early. It takes forever, then you realize the lighting was poo poo and have to start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SaltPig posted:

Inquisitions character creator was really good and it was pretty easy to make characters that looks as good or better then the default. I just wish they would release it early. It takes forever, then you realize the lighting was poo poo and have to start over.

I somehow made a blonde char with blue eyes on inquisition when I though it was actually black hair and black eyes. That was some lovely lighting on char creation.