Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I say because involuntary imprisonment for life is cruel for sentient beings.

What purpose does it serve?

It's less expensive than and at least as good a deterrent as capital punishment. Capital punishment really only works better in the sense of feeling vengeance, and as such shouldn't be considered a social good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Too exploitive and abusive imo.

That said I still maintain that 10year sentences are more then enough time for "vengeance," punishment and rehabilitation.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

That said I still maintain that 10year sentences are more then enough time for "vengeance," punishment and rehabilitation.

roof dylan out in 2027!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
charlie manson out back in 1981!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
you are dumb thot control

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Baloogan posted:

i just read that jerry brown has been denying the other members of his gang parole out of spite lol

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Al! posted:

i just read that jerry brown has been denying the other members of his gang parole out of spite lol

his aura smiles and never frowns

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Court mandated therapy with a good counselor on a frequent basis and prescribed meds if necessary is more than sufficient for Roof. 20 years max with annual check-ins to see if he's made any progress and not just telling people what they want to hear.

I mean the worst case scenario there is that he finally has an epiphany and realizes how lovely he is and kills himself but then at least it's his decision. Best case scenario is that he gets his poo poo together and works as a counselor himself to reach out to other racists kind of like some former gang members do.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

It is not.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

VikingSkull posted:

because it costs money and feeds the privatized prison system

yes, it is a good idea to kill people if it saves you money

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean my position is actually that we should decrease the number of people we execute down to the narrowest of crimes but ok if that's what you want to take from what I said

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I mean my position is actually that we should decrease the number of people we execute down to the narrowest of crimes but ok if that's what you want to take from what I said

Yeah there are just so many different crimes with penalties of death right now.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

VikingSkull posted:

"why not just leave them in prison" "because it costs too much" is an argument for killing people to save money

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
eh I'm also fine with abolishing it if that's what the country wants, you guys can rehabilitate Dylan Roof if you want though because I'm not helping that shitheel do anything

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Baloogan posted:

roof dylan out in 2027!

Baloogan posted:

Nah just kill them both, after 10 years, No fuss.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

How about don't kill people to save money

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Hottest take of the thread, right here.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Fiscally Conservative has nothing to do with it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I say because involuntary imprisonment for life is cruel for sentient beings.

And literally killing people isn't cruel?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

chitoryu12 posted:

And literally killing people isn't cruel?

Perhaps after 10* years of involuntary confinement the sweet release of death is better then the alternative. Especially given the US justice system.

But even better would be to stop handing down ridiculous sentences.

*can be any number you want, doesn't change the argument.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Perhaps after 10* years of involuntary confinement the sweet release of death is better then the alternative. Especially given the US justice system.

Mandatory minimums should be abolished and discretion allowed to judges in sentencing. Which is, at the end of day, oddly related back to the topic of the thread.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Mandatory minimums should be abolished and discretion allowed to judges in sentencing. Which is, at the end of day, oddly related back to the topic of the thread.

:aaa: You're right. If the Hammond's original sentences had stood, there would have been no reason for the Bundy militia to go to Oregon.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's fantastic that it took the sentencing of two white ranchers to bring attention to minimum sentencing laws.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

:aaa: You're right. If the Hammond's original sentences had stood, there would have been no reason for the Bundy militia to go to Oregon.
Then they could have had a standoff with CPS over them taking some shitbag's kids away.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TotalLossBrain posted:

It's fantastic that it took the sentencing of two white ranchers to bring attention to minimum sentencing laws.

Eh, it's an opinion I've held since 1994 if more people hold it now, great! Progress has been made.

Same with my opinion of BLM. I'm glad they are bringing awareness to it, but I've held that opinion since way before Michael Brown.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 03:54 on Jan 5, 2017

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm only talking about the occupiers, sorry.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Maybe we could make prisons not awful

Anders Breivik didn't get put in an awful hellhole

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah, the state shouldn't kill people, or through inaction allow people to die, so ban all guns.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Doc Hawkins posted:

Yeah, the state shouldn't kill people, or through inaction allow people to die, so ban all guns.

possession and aquisition of firearms are a inalienable human right

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
incorrect

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Any news on the trial? I won't be able to check the usual sources, and execution chat is making me want the mazatello to make a comeback.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Discendo Vox posted:

Any news on the trial? I won't be able to check the usual sources, and execution chat is making me want the mazatello to make a comeback.

Nah the people who kidnapped and beat the retarded trump supporter haven't been charged yet afaik.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Baloogan posted:

most of the uranium on earth is under the ocean floor
makes u think

yeah right off the nc coast

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Baloogan posted:

possession and aquisition of firearms are a inalienable human right

Fine, just bullets then :smuggo:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I disagree

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

you guys can rehabilitate Dylan Roof if you want though because I'm not helping that shitheel do anything

Except arm himself?

E: I should stop, since I'm personally at peace with gun control being a dead issue for the rest of my life, or at least until the Black Panthers come back.

Doc Hawkins has issued a correction as of 05:54 on Jan 5, 2017

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

Maybe we could make prisons not awful

Anders Breivik didn't get put in an awful hellhole

Was he imprisoned for life?
Anyway what I'm saying is this

quote:

As an American, or maybe just as a moral human being, it's hard not to feel appalled, even outraged, that Norwegian far-right monster Anders Breivik only received 21 years in prison for his attacks last year, including a bombing in Oslo and a cold-blooded shooting spree, which claimed 77 lives.
Is not a progressive position, and the idea of egregious sentence length is more "appalling" to me then capital punishment.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Doc Hawkins posted:

Except arm himself?

E: I should stop, since I'm personally at peace with gun control being a dead issue for the rest of my life, or at least until the Black Panthers come back.

he is now a convicted felon, it would be illegal for him to own a firearm under current laws

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Was he imprisoned for life?
Anyway what I'm saying is this

Is not a progressive position, and the idea of egregious sentence length is more "appalling" to me then capital punishment.

He didn't "only" receive 21 years you disingenuous gently caress. 21 is the point at which a judge looks at his case and decides whether to feee him or throw him back in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
fake news!