Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blistex posted:

Edit: most Korean guys I've met under the age of 50 were decent enough until a Korean woman was thrown into the mix, then they would instantly hate me. Going to a club, bar, party with a Korean guy in Korea was pretty much impossible, because as soon as some Korean girl started to talk to you in a friendly manner, they guys would get seriously defensive and tell the girls to not approach you. Older guys on the other hand would tell you outright, "you go get some of that! I can tell she likes you."

Older women though. I had a few Korean friends who'd tell me when someone was calling her a slut or whatever for hanging out with me, and one who was tired of that poo poo and had no proper filial piety and would cuss them out. She was awesome.

Were you in Seoul? I hear a lot more racism stories from there than where I was. I was only ever openly attacked once for dating an Asian girl (who was also not Korean but nobody can tell, despite how much they insist they can) and got more positive than negative on balance. The only consistently annoying thing was everyone would talk to her instead of me despite me being the only one speaking Korean, so you get the triangle where I speak Korean to the Korean, the Korean speaks Korean to my Chinese girlfriend, who doesn't understand, and then I reply, and the Korean doesn't acknowledge me and keeps talking to the person who is sitting there silently but pretending that the words coming out of my mouth were coming out of hers and I don't know it was bizarre.

Canadians insisting there's no such thing as a Canadian accent are hilarious since there totally is and we can hear it, dudes. It's not a huge accent but it's there. People in Wisconsin and Minnesota also have the same accent so it's not exclusive to you guys but sorry, your vowels and inflection are different enough to stick out. Michael Hogan is a very good example of the standard Canadian accent.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Atlas Hugged posted:

This is weird because we lived in the same area of Korea (Dongducheon) but my experience was always that the young guys were super cool and the old guys were total racist bastards. It'd be like 6:30am and I'd be on the train from Soyosan up into Yeoncheon for work and there'd be a drunk ajoshi screaming at me for discussing the days lessons with my Korean coworker at a respectful volume. The problem wasn't that I was noisy, but that I was speaking English.

This mostly happened in Daejeon, during my second year. In Dongducheon (first year) I was usually hanging out with the "pepper peekers" and they were older than me, so the korean guys usually kept their distance. There were a few instances, young and old, but the girls would either ignore them or tell them to mind their own business.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also never got why so many Canadians get defensive/offended when we mention the Canadian accent. We all have accents what's the big deal? I thought the whole thing in Canada was insisting how different you guys are from Americans, anyway.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Grand Fromage posted:

Older women though. I had a few Korean friends who'd tell me when someone was calling her a slut or whatever for hanging out with me, and one who was tired of that poo poo and had no proper filial piety and would cuss them out. She was awesome.

Were you in Seoul? I hear a lot more racism stories from there than where I was. I was only ever openly attacked once for dating an Asian girl (who was also not Korean but nobody can tell, despite how much they insist they can) and got more positive than negative on balance. The only consistently annoying thing was everyone would talk to her instead of me despite me being the only one speaking Korean, so you get the triangle where I speak Korean to the Korean, the Korean speaks Korean to my Chinese girlfriend, who doesn't understand, and then I reply, and the Korean doesn't acknowledge me and keeps talking to the person who is sitting there silently but pretending that the words coming out of my mouth were coming out of hers and I don't know it was bizarre.

My Taiwanese girlfriend (now wife) could speak Korean, but it was like her... fourth language? so whenever I was trying to engage with a shopkeep or chef or something it would be me saying something in English, my girlfriend processing that into Chinese to figure out what I meant (her English was garbage at the time) and then translating it into Korean. Then she'd have to reverse the process and hope nothing got lost in translation when the Korean would reply.

Now her English is great, I speak OK Chinese, and she's forgotten all of her Korean. Taiwan Number 1. But for some reason all the taxi drivers in Bangkok assume she's Japanese first, then Korean. But she's glad they never mistake her for Mainland.

Blistex posted:

This mostly happened in Daejeon, during my second year. In Dongducheon (first year) I was usually hanging out with the "pepper peekers" and they were older than me, so the korean guys usually kept their distance. There were a few instances, young and old, but the girls would either ignore them or tell them to mind their own business.

This makes more sense. When I was in Dongducheon I was usually hanging out at whiskey bars where the average clientele was salarymen avoiding their wives and they were happy to speak to a foreigner because it actually gave them an opportunity to practice the English that they had been forced to learn but never used. Since there was no expectation that the young bartender girls would engage with me (I'm assuming they were high school dropouts who didn't speak any English) there was never an issue. But then I'd get into the wilds of the subway or trains or street vendors and all bets were off. Every now and then I'd run into a Korean War vet and those guys were usually pretty cool. They'd buy you beer or dinner and just want to speak English for the first time in a decade.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Also never got why so many Canadians get defensive/offended when we mention the Canadian accent. We all have accents what's the big deal? I thought the whole thing in Canada was insisting how different you guys are from Americans, anyway.

I've pretty much said this in every China thread when it comes up, but Canadian expats are the absolute worst! They constantly talk down about American expats and how they are so much better, while being total twats. On the other hand, pretty much every American I have met in Korea and China (US Marines excluded) have been awesome guys who are super chill. Canadian television content really likes to push "lol dumb + loud americans", and idiots just assume they are all like that, while being 2x the dumb idiot any American I have ever met has ever been.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Blistex posted:

I've pretty much said this in every China thread when it comes up, but Canadian expats are the absolute worst!

Yes but have you ever run into an Australian in a titty bar?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Korean War vets are the best. My first week in Korea I was just wandering my neighborhood and a bunch of guys in their Korean War vet hats basically abducted me and forced me into a little makgeolli bar with them when I said I was American. It was a ton of fun, they refused to let me pay and whipped out their barely remembered English from the 50s. Apparently I personally killed Kim Il-sung so they wanted to say thanks.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I've been to many places in the states and nobody has ever picked up on the fact that I'm Canadian when speaking to them, unless they're making small talk about where I'm from while I ask directions or fun stuff to do in the area. Same in Japan and a few other countries. I definitely know people that would be called out for it immediately though. The accent does exist, I just don't think its as common as people think

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

I've been to many places in the states and nobody has ever picked up on the fact that I'm Canadian when speaking to them, unless they're making small talk about where I'm from while I ask directions or fun stuff to do in the area. Same in Japan and a few other countries. I definitely know people that would be called out for it immediately though. The accent does exist, I just don't think its as common as people think

If you are from the west, the accent is quite slight and almost indistinguishable from west coast US. Like the states, the accents gets more pronounced as you go East.

There are some words that give it away though. roof, stocking, house, couch

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ocrumsprug posted:

If you are from the west, the accent is quite slight and almost indistinguishable from west coast US. Like the states, the accents gets more pronounced as you go East.

There are some words that give it away though. roof, stocking, house, couch

Call all corn chips even without cheese/cheese like sauce nachos...

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm from Toronto and spent a fair amount of time in Boston and New York which a lot of Canadians will say have particularly distinct accents. Most of the time I didn't notice it though I guess that could be because there is lots of people who wern't born/raised there. Nobody there ever noticed I was Canadian either without asking.

E: ^ I've never heard that, nachos always need toppings. Otherwise its just a chip or a tostito.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Haier posted:

If someone lives in Asia and says something like "Asians are X," it weirds me out because not pinpointing the country the person is from seems like some hillbilly racism. "All them slant eyes are from that country Asia, right?"

It happens but I'm using it as shorthand since complaining about the locals to some degree has happened in every country I've lived in and I don't want to single out foreigners bitching about just Koreans or Thais when it happens in every country.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nobody there ever noticed I was Canadian either without asking.

I would consider it pretty rude to bring up unprompted. In the US I assume everyone I encounter is American unless they tell me otherwise.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Maybe you're right, but it's also not like most people are trying to sniff out Canadians in random everyday conversations. If they were trying to place the accent they'll probably realize.

I have the same suspicion about this:

Grand Fromage posted:

(who was also not Korean but nobody can tell, despite how much they insist they can)

Like, I used to think this too, but now I've been involved with Koreans for a few years I'm finding I can actually extremely reliably tell them apart, at least when makeup and clothes are involved. But that's because I'm generally much more aware of it, whereas your average Korean/ Japanese etc person who lives their life in ethnic homogeneity won't be giving it much thought, because why would they be.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I never want to visit Korea, the racism seems super intense even by the standards of the region

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I would consider it pretty rude to bring up unprompted. In the US I assume everyone I encounter is American unless they tell me otherwise.

Yeah I assumed the same when I was there. I guess I meant more like when asking directions/things to do in the area they would always be like oh you're from out of town and I'd say yeah, Canada and I'd get a lot of oh really? responses. This is all anecdotal of course. Maybe I just have a super boring generic voice

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

E: ^ I've never heard that, nachos always need toppings. Otherwise its just a chip or a tostito.

I've met a dozen different Canadians in my experience here from multiple provinces and they all did this. I was very flummoxed.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Invisible Handjob posted:

I never want to visit Korea, the racism seems super intense even by the standards of the region

I had a similar thought a couple of months ago about not wanting to visit China after reading these threads for a couple of years and then remembered how stupid it was to be basing that choice off of anecdotes from a GBS thread

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Stringent posted:

I bitch about Japanese people in Japan constantly, but I think if I ever left Japan I'd definitely go out of my way to hang out with whatever Japanese people live in the new location.

Speaking from experience, this is exactly what happens!

ME IN JAPAN: oh gently caress you uptight loving pervy weirdos you loving reek of BO and cigs stop touching my tits and if one more person rides two inches behind me silently on their bicycle because ringing the bell is "rude" I will loving raise Godzilla from the ocean you racist piece of penis OH GOD DID YOU JUST PUKE IN YOUR BRIEFCASE?!!?!?!?

ME IN KOREA/CHINA: OMG STAND NEXT TO ME AND LET ME INHALE YOUR QUIET PEACEFULNESS ONEIGAISHIMASHTAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

It can be, but it can also just be the annoyance of the inferiority complex where they have to assure you that everything is originally Korean and amazing which is what you're more likely to encounter if you're a tourist.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Koramei posted:

I had a similar thought a couple of months ago about not wanting to visit China after reading these threads for a couple of years and then remembered how stupid it was to be basing that choice off of anecdotes from a GBS thread

that's true, but this isn't the only place I've heard these anecdotes

and for what it's worth, I have visited China and most of the stuff in this thread holds true. that being said, it's still a fun place to visit with all of its horror, every country has its downsides. it's just, I don't know if the downside of 'super intense xenophobic racism' in Korea is one I want to experience

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

that's true, but this isn't the only place I've heard these anecdotes

Every person I've met who taught in Korea talks about it like a veteran talks about a combat tour. There's a one way door between Korea and Taiwan for a reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koramei posted:

at least when makeup and clothes are involved.

This is true yes. Also the standard Korean plastic surgery nose is distinctive. I mean purely on appearance without culture, just looking at faces, no one can tell reliably. I lived there for four years and had a bunch of Chinese/Japanese/Vietnamese friends and Koreans had no clue.

There was a single time when I was in Seoul with my Chinese girlfriend and one of the employees in Namsan Tower unprompted started talking to her in Mandarin. She had no clue how the employee knew, and that's the only time in the five or six years she's lived there that anyone correctly guessed her nationality.

Korea's a great place to visit. Koreans are really nice to tourists for the most part, it's living/working there that causes issues. And again keep in mind we're complaining. 90%+ of the time it's fine but that's not interesting to anyone.

Yeah I assumed the same when I was there. I guess I meant more like when asking directions/things to do in the area they would always be like oh you're from out of town and I'd say yeah, Canada and I'd get a lot of oh really? responses. This is all anecdotal of course. Maybe I just have a super boring generic voice

"Oh really?" is the generic response to someone saying where they're from tho, it doesn't mean any actual surprise. But yeah there's a range of course. I think the real problem is that there are parts of the US that have the Canadian accent so it isn't a reliable tell.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jan 5, 2017

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Every person I've met who taught in Korea talks about it like a veteran talks about a combat tour. There's a one way door between Korea and Taiwan for a reason.

for what it's worth I really loved every aspect of Taiwan and thought it was a great country.

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea's a great place to visit. Koreans are really nice to tourists for the most part, it's living/working there that causes issues. And again keep in mind we're complaining. 90%+ of the time it's fine but that's not interesting to anyone.

that's a good point as well, I'm sure it's fine to visit. just sounds pretty scary!

Invisible Handjob fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 5, 2017

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
yeah that's what he means. no one moves from taiwan to korea that'd be nuts

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I just called beijing film academy to ask questions about applying to their MFA cause it like doesn't make sense. They don't want any materials just 2 letters of reccomendation and an undergrad transcript. Also they said I can't do their program because it requires HSK 5 gently caress

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

"Oh really?" is the generic response to someone saying where they're from tho, it doesn't mean any actual surprise. But yeah there's a range of course. I think the real problem is that there are parts of the US that have the Canadian accent so it isn't a reliable tell.

Haha yeah I phrased that pretty badly, I realized after I posted. There would usually also be some sort of comment of I wouldn't have guessed ! or something like that. Anyway, I'm not trying to say that the Canadian accent doesn't exist, because I definitely know people who sound like they're trying to imitate the main characters of Fubar who were born and raised in the same province as me. Just I personally have never had someone figure it out . I guess it varies a lot over the country much like American accents would

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I hated living in Korea to such an extent that I won't even go back to visit friends, and I still would recommend a trip to Seoul and Busan at least.

If I'd been in a larger city and had a better working environment, I probably wouldn't be so grumpy about it. But to compare, I informed my (Chinese-American) boss on Tuesday that I was leaving the country at the end of the school year, and she offered me recommendation letters and to introduce me to the American school heads to discuss working there, and was generally super understanding and lovely.

When I told my Korean supervisor I wasn't renewing my contract, she threw a stapler at the wall and sent me a bunch of threatening Kakao messages that were like THIS IS UR LAST CHANCE TO STAY IN KOREA OR OTHERWISE U CAN NEVER COME BACK U BETTER CHANGE UR MIND NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha yeah I phrased that pretty badly, I realized after I posted. There would usually also be some sort of comment of I wouldn't have guessed ! or something like that. Anyway, I'm not trying to say that the Canadian accent doesn't exist, because I definitely know people who sound like they're trying to imitate the main characters of Fubar who were born and raised in the same province as me. Just I personally have never had someone figure it out . I guess it varies a lot over the country much like American accents would

I don't think it's super easy to tell if someone's Canadian unless they're, you know...Atlantic].

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord of Pie posted:

Instead, it's the corpse of Ronald Reagan

poo poo, I got owned.

Haier posted:

My friend went home for the holidays (not sure where, but in Smogville) and posted this video with the caption "Immortality":

http://i.imgur.com/L5KvF2d.gifv

LMAO @ her lungs
Superman 64 is better!

Modest Mao posted:

I just called beijing film academy to ask questions about applying to their MFA cause it like doesn't make sense. They don't want any materials just 2 letters of reccomendation and an undergrad transcript. Also they said I can't do their program because it requires HSK 5 gently caress
:wtf: Why of all places would you want to study film, you choose China?! Wouldn't you be better off teaching yourself or spending it on hookers and blow?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
don't hate on a wumao for wanting to up his game

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
AQI getting up to 700 in Chengdu. Thankfully, in less than two weeks I will be breathing in clean Mediterranean air.

Grand Fromage posted:

In the beautiful tapestry society of Canada there are no accents. Unlike the ugly imperialist "melting pot" of forced conformity that is America.

Blistex posted:

I've pretty much said this in every China thread when it comes up, but Canadian expats are the absolute worst! They constantly talk down about American expats and how they are so much better, while being total twats. On the other hand, pretty much every American I have met in Korea and China (US Marines excluded) have been awesome guys who are super chill. Canadian television content really likes to push "lol dumb + loud americans", and idiots just assume they are all like that, while being 2x the dumb idiot any American I have ever met has ever been.

Blistex is the best Canadian. :allears:

Let us English fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 5, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

the heat goes wrong posted:

Whats so horrible sbout having kids on a bike? :confused:
Sometime the kindergarten is too far to walk there all the time.

There's nothing wrong with it but usually the set-up is a little better than just putting them in your front basket

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Grand Fromage posted:

Korean War vets are the best. My first week in Korea I was just wandering my neighborhood and a bunch of guys in their Korean War vet hats basically abducted me and forced me into a little makgeolli bar with them when I said I was American. It was a ton of fun, they refused to let me pay and whipped out their barely remembered English from the 50s. Apparently I personally killed Kim Il-sung so they wanted to say thanks.

The vets remember just how drat close they came to being taken over. Like holy crap MacArthur really hosed up bad.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

for what it's worth I really loved every aspect of Taiwan and thought it was a great country.

Taiwan is too burning hot. Did you know that Japan is a country with four seasons?

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ntan1 posted:

Taiwan is too burning hot. Did you know that Japan is a country with four seasons?

oh yeah I didn't like that aspect. way too hot and humid for me

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Taiwan is basically just rain all the loving time. Sometimes it's cold rain, sometimes it's hot rain. Did you know the suicide rate increases the further north you go? It parallels the number of days of rain you have each year.

But Korea is the land of four seasons, did you know?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is so old school Hong Kong.

I had a distant relative or family friend who enquired me about how much I knew about Rolex watches and the market in New Zealand. I replied honestly I didn't know anything about it. I have never heard or seen from him since, but I always suspected he was pushing poo poo like this on a large scale along with some real merchandise. Dude seemed to live in a nice place too, somewhere on or around Victoria peak iirc.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/01/05/police-officer-sentenced-community-service-selling-fake-rolex-watch/

quote:

A 22-year-old police officer who sold a fake Rolex watch was sentenced to 80 hours of community service at the Eastern Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.

Sung Kwok-chu was charged with one count of selling goods to which a forged trade mark was applied. He earlier admitted to the charge.

Last July, he made a post on the website “DC Fever” purporting to sell a Rolex watch for HK$2,400. The Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department, suspecting that it was counterfeit, posed as a customer and contacted the defendant. The defendant was arrested at the Quarry Bay station during the arranged exchange.

Magistrate Jason Wan Siu-ming considered plea letters written by the defendant’s supervisor and peers, which said that he was a responsible officer. The magistrate also took into account the remorse expressed by the defendant, and the fact that the case only involved one watch. He said that a fine could not reflect the seriousness of the case and sentenced the defendant to community service with a low number of hours instead, RTHK reported.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imperialist Dog posted:

Apparently, my history nerd group has ruffled some serious establishment feathers! Front page of the pro Beijing newspaper Ta Kung Pao!

"Distortion of war history, hatred for mainlanders. HONG KONG INDEPENDENCE ARMY SWAGGERS THROUGH STREETS"

I thought my buddy was making it up but here's a link to the full article. Perhaps someone would care to translate choice bits?

http://news.takungpao.com.hk/paper/20170105.html?A1

Well done making the front page and giving them a kick in the nuts without firing a shot. Their fear smells good.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Rate China's toilets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Oof, right in the feels!

• Locked thread