Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I haven't watched this show in a couple of years, has it been at a "body switching musical episode" level of bizarre before this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
I laughed, at "We're church blacks!" and most of the other stuff in this episode. if all this stuff makes me racist in this day and age then your just to sensitive about poo poo

Smashlampjaw fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 5, 2017

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

raditts posted:

I haven't watched this show in a couple of years, has it been at a "body switching musical episode" level of bizarre before this?
frank yelled at God

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This was different, but I still thought it was very funny. It's not as good as the ski mountain episode from last season though, and I hope the other episodes won't rock the boat too much.

Smashlampjaw posted:

I laughed, at "We're church blacks!" and most of the other stuff in this episode. if all this stuff makes me racist in this day and age then your just to sensitive about poo poo
I don't think anyone here said that was why they didn't like the episode. But for that reason, I will be staying far, far away from the upcoming AV Club review (no, they didn't drop coverage of Always Sunny like they've done with most other shows. At least, not yet). I don't know whether they'll say it's racist or whether they'll say it's good politically and therefore a great episode, but it'll be a cringeworthy read all the same.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 5, 2017

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

gently caress it, 7 minutes left in the episode, it's loving hilarious.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved every second of it, amazing episode.

"WE'RE CHURCH BLACKS :hfive: ....I mean, we're Church People."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I liked this episode, but then I also love musicals (including The Wiz).

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm watching, and it's incredible.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
yeah they are really out of ideas, 5 minutes in this is unwatchably bad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

get that OUT of my face posted:

I don't think anyone here said that was why they didn't like the episode. But for that reason, I will be staying far, far away from the upcoming AV Club review (no, they didn't drop coverage of Always Sunny like they've done with most other shows. At least, not yet). I don't know whether they'll say it's racist or whether they'll say it's good politically and therefore a great episode, but it'll be a cringeworthy read all the same.

I mean, I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff and I thought they handled it remarkably well, if that says anything. The joke was very pointedly "these people are assholes who think black people suck," not "black people actually suck."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This episode was hilarious. A great start to the season.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I'm pretty sensitive to that stuff and I thought they handled it remarkably well, if that says anything. The joke was very pointedly "these people are assholes who think black people suck," not "black people actually suck."
There was nothing in my mind that struck me as insensitive, but never underestimate the power of the internet to see the badness in things.

Late edit: AV Club gave it an A, so I'm gonna assume the review is filled with political posturing. I'm not reading that crap.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 5, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gently caress y'all, this was the funniest episode in years. But it wouldn't have worked without it being a musical.

Glad they returned filming to Philly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It happens every season. Every season, goons declare the show is dead. Goons even said McPoyle vs Ponderosa was bad. Lots of bad opinions happen in this thread.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Usually the only show that gets musical episodes right is Bob's Burgers, but this one was funnier than any of that show's entries. I was laughing throughout. I hope they don't push their luck, though.

FWIW I thought Man Seeking Woman was better tonight, but that's not an indictment of Always Sunny, more of a ringing endorsement of that show. I hope we get to see more Eric Andre, though.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I thought it was alright, but I hate it when shows start a new season with an experimental episode. After waiting for about a year for new episodes it just feels like a letdown because it doesn't really feel like the show you've been waiting for.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

FogHelmut posted:

gently caress y'all, this was the funniest episode in years. But it wouldn't have worked without it being a musical.

Glad they returned filming to Philly.

This was one of the best episodes in seasons. It's loving amazing.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
THAT WAS AN EPISODE.

For sure.

The final scott bakula joke was hilarious.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

When I heard that the electronics store was called "The Wiz," I was fully expecting a gag involving this defunct chain.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The "Learned a lesson? from your dream?" bit. That was funny. Sunny is good at breaking the fourth wall.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 5, 2017

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I'm sure it's not, but is it any sort of canon that Mac and Charlie's ineptitude as employees in S4E10 ("Sweet Dee Has A Heart Attack") got the guy who hired them fired so he had to take the waiter job at Guigino's?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
How could you possibly not like this episode? Like... What's there to not like? They parodied an entire '70s musical movie in a 20 minute episode.

I actually don't understand how anybody could complain about it. None of the jokes were particularly funny? They weren't supposed to be. None of the songs were particularly well written? Again, not supposed to be. It was the cast having fun doing something weird with their 12-year-old show. It was supposed to be ridiculous, and it was supposed to be weird. It was as much for them as it was us, where we have a good time watching them. The concept of the episode is what matters, and what the joke was. The content wasn't.

They executed it perfectly.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Also, in addition to being assholes and racists, they're also stupid. It is made extremely clear that the gang is as dumb as they are mean and you shouldn't agree with their opinions on anything.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

That was just bad and unfunny.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Wasn't sure about this at first but it kind of won me over. Charlie's song in the police station was hilarious, as well as Frank wanting to say the N word.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Cojawfee posted:

It happens every season. Every season, goons declare the show is dead. Goons even said McPoyle vs Ponderosa was bad. Lots of bad opinions happen in this thread.

DANNY DEVITO? Ugh this show has jumped the shark, at least it had a good first season. :colbert:

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
What an awesome opener, goddamn. This season is going to own so hard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Super Deuce posted:

I actually don't understand how anybody could complain about it. None of the jokes were particularly funny? They weren't supposed to be. None of the songs were particularly well written? Again, not supposed to be.

Ah it was supposed to be poo poo? That's ok then. I look forward to the episodes that are supposed to be good.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah it was supposed to be poo poo? That's ok then. I look forward to the episodes that are supposed to be good.

Yeah not too sure about that guys defense of the episode.

I thought it was alright but like someone said earlier, it would've been much better later on in the season.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The endING with Charlie was hilarious and super hosed up.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I thought it was a great episode and I keep hearing "What Are The Rules?" in my head, so I guess the music really was catchy.

You guys are nuts.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The only thing that made me uneasy was charlie bleeding out while singing, it was funny but holy poo poo that hits close to home to anyone that's been given a train at the police station

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Captain Magic posted:

I'm sure it's not, but is it any sort of canon that Mac and Charlie's ineptitude as employees in S4E10 ("Sweet Dee Has A Heart Attack") got the guy who hired them fired so he had to take the waiter job at Guigino's?

I don't think it was ever meant that way and they just reused the actor but there also isn't anything saying it can't be.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

drunken officeparty posted:

I don't think it was ever meant that way and they just reused the actor but there also isn't anything saying it can't be.

Well, recurring characters tend to recognize the gang, like the principal or the comptroller, etc.

Duncan's actor is also the DJ in the gang dances their asses off and they're certainly not the same character, it's just a thing with Sunny.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Probably the best line from this episode is:
"I wouldn't want to see Orlando Bloom in Boys in the Hood" followed by "Yeah it's weird when you switch it."

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Loved this episode. Can definitely see why it's a love/hate type of episode though, they took a chance doing something completely different but I thought it worked.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

The only thing that made me uneasy was charlie bleeding out while singing, it was funny but holy poo poo that hits close to home to anyone that's been given a train at the police station

That's the Song stuck in my head, just say home!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

I maybe could've seen this episode working somewhere mid-season, but I feel like after a year, the beginning of a season of Sunny should be a good old fashioned Fighting in the Bar episode with stock music for the scene transitions and Charlie wearing a green coat.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It was a good episode and I laughed throughout. I fully embrace having the first episode of the season being one written by the creators of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Episode was good, and also helped reveal the goons who hate fun