Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Phrosphor posted:

I tried out faction warfare last night for the first time because someone told me it was a great way to make cbills. They forgot to add "If you are playing clans".

What a horrendously depressing experience. Queuing for 20 minutes to get into a games where the IS just in fought with each other in chat and gave up after the first engagement everytime. Then the clans just spawn camping to farm cash and ignoring the objectives.

I will shelve the idea of playing it for now, but I would like to work towards obtaining and outfitting a decent dropdeck of mechs. I was thinking for IS: Warhammer, Griffin, Grasshopper and an Enforcer. Too light?

If you aren't playing FW with a decently sized group of people on teamspeak or whatever (see: goon units), then yeah it'll be a miserable experience.

Chances are Invasion mode is going to be miserable anyways but hey there you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Artificer posted:

If you aren't playing FW with a decently sized group of people on teamspeak or whatever (see: goon units), then yeah it'll be a miserable experience.

Chances are Invasion mode is going to be miserable anyways but hey there you go.

Yeah I am shelving it for now but would like to put a decent drop deck together for the future.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Phrosphor posted:

Yeah I am shelving it for now but would like to put a decent drop deck together for the future.

All the warhammers

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
In a hypothetical future where faction warfare isn't poo poo, it would probably require you to redo your dropdeck anyway.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ZenVulgarity posted:

All the warhammers

or the route I went, a warhammer and three thunderbolts

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Phrosphor posted:

I will shelve the idea of playing it for now, but I would like to work towards obtaining and outfitting a decent dropdeck of mechs. I was thinking for IS: Warhammer, Griffin, Grasshopper and an Enforcer. Too light?

Medium brawlers are very bad in FW.

If you want to bring mediums they should be long-range supports, like (some) Blackjacks or Hunchbacks.

Otherwise, just leave a Locust / Spider / Urbanmech in your fourth slot and bring three heavies / assaults.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Pirate's Bane supremacy

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

If I were to buy a Night Gyr what's the preferred base chassis?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

If I were to buy a Night Gyr what's the preferred base chassis?

the D has an energy in the CT

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

NihilCredo posted:

People already said that when the Gyr was released and it didn't happen, it's not gonna happen now.

I played (and quit) at the height of the Victor / Highlander meta though so I understand why the mere idea that it might return is so scary.

Yeah you can try to pop tart in it.

What will actually happen is your giant lumbering mech will slowly and gently float upwards and you'll be shredded by everyone in sight while your target cursor wavers everywhere.

Maybe it'll work at T5 but honestly what doesn't.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
You need to have horizontal motion while you're poptarting to make it more difficult for people to hit you.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Almost all jumpjet velocity comes from being in motion while you activate the jumpjets. Unless you are in a mech <50t with a lot of jumpjets you should take a running start behind your hill parallel to your cover and fire instead of trying to do it vertically. You should probably be doing this in your lighter poptarts too but you can sort of get away with not in your Nova/Shadowcat/CDA-3F etc. Doing so will raise your mech-fu belt to a new colour though.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Hello, asking again for an invite to WoL if possible! Ingame name is tescobag - I've been a member before!

Edit: also if someone could PM the mumble details that'd be great, I've lost them since I was playing last.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

Medium brawlers are very bad in FW.

If you want to bring mediums they should be long-range supports, like (some) Blackjacks or Hunchbacks.

Otherwise, just leave a Locust / Spider / Urbanmech in your fourth slot and bring three heavies / assaults.

3 Large laser enforcer is very serviceable in FW.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TescoBag posted:

Hello, asking again for an invite to WoL if possible! Ingame name is tescobag - I've been a member before!

Edit: also if someone could PM the mumble details that'd be great, I've lost them since I was playing last.

I can't invite to WoL but I know that it is quite expensive, I think 12 million cbills or something. It costs money to invite people to units now, might be that we're out. Once the the new skillsystem is released and all modules are refunded there should be billions of cbills available, just join mumble and add people to your friendslist. Or you could try to get an invite to GIRL, I believe it's much much cheaper.
mumble: mumble.goonrathi.com pw: melon

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

If you guys can stomach getting some muscle memory down on toggling MASC and jumpjets, the phoenix hawk 3S is a blast to play. It's one of the few mechs that can make me sweat playing it, but it's super fun to be able to legitimately be able to dodge and weave through enemy fire in a mech. It doesn't work on super good players like EMP who have MLG god tier aiming, but against most players you can evasion tank damage and soak up tons of attention with it when you get the rhythm down.

It starts out really, really lovely though if you aren't used to using MASC or jump jets. It relies entirely on them to maneuver in crazy ways do its job well.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

TescoBag posted:

I'm installing the client now and will get an invite out once it's done. We have enough spacebucks, you loving spacepoors.

e: That said, donate to your unit coffers! Most of you aren't wrestling a toddler from your keyboard like I do and even I can cough up enough for a member invite while buying robots when drunk.

armchairyoda fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 5, 2017

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Its ya boy ostentatious rollin up on yo poo poo in my trashcan of dreams stickin four bullet hoses up ya butt like I was the rap game Oscar the Grouch

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Commoners posted:

If you guys can stomach getting some muscle memory down on toggling MASC and jumpjets, the phoenix hawk 3S is a blast to play. It's one of the few mechs that can make me sweat playing it, but it's super fun to be able to legitimately be able to dodge and weave through enemy fire in a mech. It doesn't work on super good players like EMP who have MLG god tier aiming, but against most players you can evasion tank damage and soak up tons of attention with it when you get the rhythm down.

It starts out really, really lovely though if you aren't used to using MASC or jump jets. It relies entirely on them to maneuver in crazy ways do its job well.

The Shadow Cat can do this too, with the bonus of having ECM. You can tank a surprising amount of damage in that thing while dishing it out if you set it up to brawl with 3xSRM6/4 +A and 2x ERML/SPL (my preferred build SHC-PRIME). Radar derp / SRM modules / Seismic / to taste. Plus you can sneak around like a goddamned assassin and shoot butts, and disengage from most fights if you wish to.

That said, I have been looking to perhaps try the Phoenix Hawks. Which two should I pick up in addition to the 3S if I were to get them? What's your 3S build?

Edit: Phoenix Hawk, not Shadow Hawk - DERP

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 5, 2017

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
the masc one and the ecm one... and then one of them. not a hero.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah, but the shadowcat doesn't go 169kph. It's also more fragile and has worse hitboxes. The phoenix hawk is weapon anemic, but if you can aim them you can just endlessly poke people at 350m due to getting 30% medium laser range when using the range module. If you find a vulnerable target, like anything that can't turn fast enough to match your super speed and acceleration, you can just ride their asses until they die, smash their butts up against a wall, or get reinforced. When that happens you can just scoot away either by jumping over something or scooting away with MASC.

One thing I like doing is faking people out by rounding a corner with MASC and then popping back into cover. People will usually fire off their lasers, and then after the burn time elapses you can round the corner again, get a free shot with yours, and then scoot back into cover by the time their lasers are ready to fire again.

IMO you have the option of cramming a brawler's setup on the shadowcat, but because it's so slow and boxlike it is much better suited to just endlessly poking people to death from afar.

But yeah, the MASC one, one of the ECM ones, and then I took the PHX1 just because it had the highest jump height. It's really not a good mech, but jump ERLLing people is good fun. It runs hot as gently caress and can barely keep up its firing when you have the jump jets maxed out.

This is the build I use for the 3S. Smurfy doesn't have the MASC in it, but iirc it weighs two tons. Strip or add armor as needed.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=417&l=efe4158884e3c04c00b28dd9d3e2625b29144049

Commoners fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 5, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Rysithusiku posted:

the masc one and the ecm one... and then one of them. not a hero.

Fortunately, there are two ECM Phoenix Hawks. So those two and the MASC variant.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Holy hell, even with just a XL350 I had laying around and no speed tweak the Phoenix Hawk 3S hauls rear end. Thanks for the heads up!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I saw a lot of 8(?)x CAC2LBX on Warhawks last night and they are horrible to get shot at by. As soon as they start firing you can't see a thing or keep your cross hair on target. Crazy range as well.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Phrosphor posted:

I saw a lot of 8(?)x CAC2LBX on Warhawks last night and they are horrible to get shot at by. As soon as they start firing you can't see a thing or keep your cross hair on target. Crazy range as well.

O0o0o that reminds me, with the reinforcements at cbills now, I can put 7 lb2 on my Jade Kite.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Is there a reasons the Zeus doesn't even appear on the Metamechs suggested build guides? Is it so bad the community just ignores it?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

I don't think you did, since the most ballistic hardpoints you can get on a Warhawk is three.

Might have been Dire Wolves though; ever since the hero DWF was released, the best build for it has been the cash-only eight uAC2 build.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

aniviron posted:

I don't think you did, since the most ballistic hardpoints you can get on a Warhawk is three.

Might have been Dire Wolves though; ever since the hero DWF was released, the best build for it has been the cash-only eight uAC2 build.

It probably was, I can't tell the majority of clan mechs apart, they all look very similar to me.

Edit: Looked it up and it is the Dwolf yeah. I thought there was a nerf to AC/2's a long time ago to give them insane ghost head to stop builds like that. Or does it not apply to clan weapons?

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 5, 2017

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
To be fair to him, I'll be hosed if I can tell them apart at anything beyond absolute point-blank range.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Phrosphor posted:

Is there a reasons the Zeus doesn't even appear on the Metamechs suggested build guides? Is it so bad the community just ignores it?

Check here and type in "zeus" for some suggested builds

http://metamechs.com/build-database/

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Commoners posted:

most of EMP use Helios and still get dumpstered anyway in pubs, lmao

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

Edit: Looked it up and it is the Dwolf yeah. I thought there was a nerf to AC/2's a long time ago to give them insane ghost head to stop builds like that. Or does it not apply to clan weapons?

There was, but it was also removed a somewhat less long time ago. It applies to neither IS nor Clan weaponry now.

The AC2 and uAC2 got buffed recently, namely it's no longer so heat-inefficient, and the uAC2 was buffed specifically so that instead of doing less damage while double tapping, it does a few percentage points more than not doing it.

I highly recommend Smurfy's mechlab resource to look at mechs, equipment, etc: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/equipment

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Who's at MAGfest?

I'M AT MAGFEST

Took 3rd place in a HBK with an AC10, after two deaths where the y-axis on the joystick was broken.

So... so happy...

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Are missiles any good? It seems like the only thing I do damage with are lasers and the gauss rifle. Of course, I'm still in trial mechs, so that has a lot to do with it on sure.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Are missiles any good? It seems like the only thing I do damage with are lasers and the gauss rifle. Of course, I'm still in trial mechs, so that has a lot to do with it on sure.

SRMs (both normal and streak versions) don't deal any damage beyond their maximum range, usually 270m. LRMs, only if you're piloting an Inner Sphere Mech, don't deal any damage UNDER 180m.

The weapon names in the bottom right of your HUD will turn grey if these conditions aren't satisfied, but you should just learn them so you can use the distance reading near your crosshair.

Beyond that, SRMs are generally very good and streaks/LRMs are generally bad, but if you've just started you shouldn't worry since any build can work.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm mostly sticking to that medium with 3 large pulses, and the heavy with 2 extended large lasers and a gauss rifle. Seem to do like 300-700 damage with them which is usually near the top of my team.

When does it make sense to buy my own mech?

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

A lot of trial mechs are some combination of laser vomit/gauss, since those were the builds du jour when the champ redesigns were last done.

SRMs are basically missile shotguns, but you need to be able to boat them to get any meaningful use out of them (a lot of mechs have 1 random missile slot due to Battletech rules for critseeking, but in MW:O one missile slot doesn't do much). LRMs can work, but are discouraged at the start because you learn bad habits from them and everyone hates the "I have 11 billion missiles lock plz" Atlas pilot hiding on the other side of the map while his team gets slaughtered.

quote:

When does it make sense to buy my own mech?

Once you've gotten past your cadet bonus games and seen how much you make on average without it, and once you've found a weight class you're most comfortable playing. Bear in mind though, a "cheap" chassis can be expensive if you need to buy XL engines, endo steel, double heat sinks, etc. for your build: Smurfy's is a good way to play around with a chassis your interested in and to get an idea of what the real cost will be once you're done modifying it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I'm probably picking up a storm crow since they look versatile.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Luceid posted:

most of EMP use Helios and still get dumpstered anyway in pubs, lmao

I don't find most of their shots unbelievable, and the ones we usually run into in group or solo queues like A Real Life Scientist, Bowser, Nova, etc. all tend to do well even in suboptimal mechs. Whenever I play with them they are always calling targets to focus fire, always positioned well, having good piloting fundamentals, and tend to be reliably good shots. I think it's unfair to say that someone who dumps a lot of time and practice into the game is hacking when they're putting effort into it and getting believable results out of that practice.

They've missed plenty of critical shots against me whenever I find them, and the few times I catch them alone I'm usually able to pull off a mutually destructive 1v1 against them.

I know that I make enough seemingly retarded, unfair shots in my excessive play time that if I was practicing regularly on a competitive team I would likely be pulling off the same stupid poo poo that they do. There are certainly plenty of hackers in MWO, but the kind of people who dump that time in practice into the game tend to have little overlap and a rabid hatred for the people who do cheat.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Accusing people that are better than you for cheating is a time honored tradition. And besides, if they didn't cheat, how could they be better than me?

• Locked thread