Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

I'd also be interested in what you think of Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru, since it's got a similar sort of feel to Haruchika, and I think it was probably better executed. It's more of a straight comedy, rather than injecting heavy subjects like cult indoctrinations, but I'd still be interested in your opinion.
I've seen the first few episodes now, and I wasn't into it. You're right that they're very different in tone. There are some quality puns in there, but apart from that it's not really my style. It sure does make me miss Nozaki-kun, though. I can tell you that for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Is there enough material for a second cour of Nozaki yet?

Are Sakura and Kashima wearing the same socks?

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 4, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, they're wearing the fabled, yet often seen, "black socks"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Willsun posted:

1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
2. Mob Psycho 100

How the gently caress is Code Geass Akito whatever still a thing? Do people love that stiff 6 fps CGI robot fighting so much it's worth waiting 1 year per episode for?

Of all the things to complaint about Akito, the CGI isn't one of them.

Also, I want to state for the record that Mob wasn't in my top 5 until the last couple episodes. It basically pulled a Madoka on me wherein I thought it was a very good show, but not spectacular. Then, Reigen appears and everything explodes in my face.

So, for those that are meh on One's style or the premise of the show, trust me that it sticks the loving landing in a way most shows *cough*flipflappersyurionice*cough* don't.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

:aaaaa:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Also, I want to state for the record that Mob wasn't in my top 5 until the last couple episodes. It basically pulled a Madoka on me wherein I thought it was a very good show, but not spectacular. Then, Reigen appears and everything explodes in my face.

So, for those that are meh on One's style or the premise of the show, trust me that it sticks the loving landing in a way most shows *cough*flipflappersyurionice*cough* don't.

I still remember the first time I read Mob's manga and got to Reigen being Claw's boss and it was one of the few, if only, times where I've actually had to take a break from reading something because it was so god-drat good and funny. He's the best boy of them all.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans.

Not the same as first season, but still crazy character-driven. I'm enjoying the places they are going with it. Pretty different for a Gundam show, too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah mob stuck its landing, but i don't feel like it had as strong a start/middle as either flipflap or yoi.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I mean they're probably the same length though :v:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Look at their shoes if you really want your mind blown.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

kater posted:

Look at their shoes if you really want your mind blown.

Those are just regular indoor school shoes. Not a big deal.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

FractalSandwich posted:

I've seen the first few episodes now, and I wasn't into it. You're right that they're very different in tone. There are some quality puns in there, but apart from that it's not really my style. It sure does make me miss Nozaki-kun, though. I can tell you that for free.

The first few episodes are the weakest unfortunately, since the full cast isn't assembled yet. I'd say give it more of a chance but I understand if you don't.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Allarion posted:

The first few episodes are the weakest unfortunately, since the full cast isn't assembled yet. I'd say give it more of a chance but I understand if you don't.

i agree with this, but comparing it to haruchika in the first place was bad. nobody should expect them to deliver in the same ways.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

dogsicle posted:

i agree with this, but comparing it to haruchika in the first place was bad. nobody should expect them to deliver in the same ways.

I didn't mean, necessarily, to directly compare the two, but somehow they sort of fall into the same category in my brain.

Wacky, larger-than-life characters, unrequited love, club setting devoted to solving problems (though the scale of the problems were much different in each case), etc.

It's more than a superficial thing (they're both in high school culture clubs!!!) but I don't know how to adequately explain it.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Random Curiosity's yearly vote thing is done, and the results are here. Surprised Eupho s2 came in so low.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

darkgray posted:

Random Curiosity's yearly vote thing is done, and the results are here. Surprised Eupho s2 came in so low.

Always neat to see the differences in places online for lists like this. They didn't like Luluco like we did, but they liked Grimgar a hell of a lot more.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

darkgray posted:

That's within error of how our voting is turning out...

The best part of that list is Berserk gaining the same # of votes as Osomatsu-san lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

darkgray posted:

if only rakugo could get top 10 here

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'll watch it once I catch up with Fall

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

I'll watch it once I catch up with Fall

:same:

...though for me this might still be a while.

I will give FF another shot too. I liked the art but was bored after the first few eps.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Mob Psycho 100

It owns.

My Hero Academia was okay too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

5. Relife was pretty good despite being outside of the genres(read plebian shounen bullshit) I usually watch
4.Jojo because why not.
3. Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto.
2.Konosuba for going 90% of the way I wanted in regards to everyone being assholes. Also darkness is best girl
1. Shin Godzilla. Hideaki Anno is a genius and the savior of the anime industry.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

AlternateNu posted:

I'm just being extra harsh about it because I heard it's the main reason why they're doing one episode every 1.5 years and it's totally not worth it. Not to mention the story blows in the way Star Wars Episode I blows because they stuff it full of politics and that's definitely not boring. :rolleyes: And then we're supposed to like Edgy McEdgerson as the anti-hero on top of this?

Space Flower posted:

Well, now I'm going to watch Akito the Exiled

Save yourself the trouble and jump to the fight scenes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if they were doing 2d mech animation of the same quality as the cg, they'd be doing one episode every 3 years

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

darkgray posted:

Even Kumamiko got more votes than Ojisan to Marshmallow :(

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

I didn't mean, necessarily, to directly compare the two, but somehow they sort of fall into the same category in my brain.

Wacky, larger-than-life characters, unrequited love, club setting devoted to solving problems (though the scale of the problems were much different in each case), etc.

It's more than a superficial thing (they're both in high school culture clubs!!!) but I don't know how to adequately explain it.
I see where you're coming from, but I think they're still pretty different. At minimum, they have very different styles of comedy.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

Even Kumamiko got more votes than Ojisan to Marshmallow :(

I'd forgotten about Ojisan and Marshmallow and now I feel kind of guilty that I did.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I did not expect Yuri On Ice to be so lively/humorous, I definitely expected it to a lot dryer and heavy on the drama.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
1.Konosuba
-Lovable (or unlovable) jerks try unsuccessfuly to become murderhobos
2.Momokuri
-Hnnngg the anime
3.Sweetness and Lightning
-Food and feels
4.Mob Psycho 100
-Action and art combine in a wonderful story.
5.My Hero Academia
-A superhero show that I am actually willing to watch is something truly amazing.

Honorable mentions:

Netoge (or And You Thought There Is Never A Girl Online)
-Receives the Surprise, It's Good! Award. Ignored it when it came out but when a friend recommended it to my wife and I we loved it. Just missed being in the top five with Hero edging it out.
Flying Witch
-Chillness, the anime Award. With a side of tempura coated carcinogens apparently.
Rinne season 2
-Best ED song (Hanashi Wo Shiyou) that wasn't Konosuba's Award.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 6, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

voting will now be closing this Sunday, January 8th at 12PM CST (GMT -6)

this matches up with the voting period on the worst anime thread, and while i wanted to give lots of extra time for people to finish shows, you guys still had about two weeks. so if you've been putting it off, get those votes in! and you've still got some time to binge a short show or finish up the last couple eps on any stragglers!

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

I finally found a way to show why I love Thunderbolt Fantasy:

Edit: Also what a shameful gif, now that I look at it closely.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dogsicle posted:

voting will now be closing this Sunday, January 8th at 12PM CST (GMT -6)

this matches up with the voting period on the worst anime thread, and while i wanted to give lots of extra time for people to finish shows, you guys still had about two weeks. so if you've been putting it off, get those votes in! and you've still got some time to binge a short show or finish up the last couple eps on any stragglers!

This is kind of short notice and will probably not give me the time to finish Eupho. :(

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I've been traveling for a stupid amount of time and wanted to wait until I got to a proper computer to do the writeups for my choices. Dunno if I'll be able to do that by the deadline though so here's my raw picks:

1. Mob psycho 100
2. Gundam thunderbolt
2. Grimgar
4. Jojo
5. Re:zero

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Same deal as the poster above so I'll just number poo poo. I wasn't able to get through everything I wanted to this year like Yuri On Ice, March Comes In Like A Lion, Haikyuu Season 3 and finally checking out Sound Euphonium, but I'm sure it's all good, this year still ruled

#1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable
- This isn't even fair, I'm insanely biased. A near perfect adaptation of one of my favorite manga

#2. Mob Psycho 100
- If I wasn't such an insufferable JoJo fan, this would be #1. Absolutely amazing,the manga is great and I need more of it now. It has honestly made me less excited than One Punch Man Season 2

#3. Orange
- A cute and heartfelt romance and emotions show. It didn't nail everything but gently caress it got me good

#4. My Hero Academia
- A really fun and sincere action show, I just wish there was more of it or the first season covered more. I swear to god I'll read the manga one day, someone make me do this please

#5. Erased
- A super exciting thriller but solidly whiffed it in home stretch, but I still got excited when I remembered it came out this year and it counted

Honorable Mention - Kiznaiver
A really stylish and pretty show that I liked aesthetically but yikes a roonie did it kinda crumble apart around the halfway mark. A lot of my like for it comes the premise which I honestly want to be explored again in something better

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
-Twas fun! It was nice to see this adapted at last. Although the quality was a bit frontloaded I thought it was a great experience.

Mob Psycho 100
-Really glad to see ONE getting so much love in the anime front.

My Hero Academia

Yuri!!! on Ice
-There was a lot of hugging and gays. Two of my favourite things.

Space Patrol Luluco
-Definitely the better Trigger show in 2016.

Honorable mentions:
Drifters
Flip Flappers

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
1. Yuri!!! on Ice
Just an actual nice romance that also happened to be gay. Didn't stick the landing as well as I hoped it would but overall still my favorite.

2. Eupho s2
Pretty incredible animation, Asuka best girl. Natsuki and Yuuko A+ relationship.

3. Re:Zero

4. ReLife
I'm not sure how this turned out good, but I did appreciate that it avoided being super creepy. Also I loved that it dropped all at once and I didn't have to wait to watch it.

5. Shokugeki no Soma season 2
That was some tasty looking food.

Things that would have been on this list if I'd finished them:
Flip Flappers. Didn't start this until a couple of days ago, haven't managed to finish binging it yet.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I swear to god I'll read the manga one day, someone make me do this please
It made my list of manga that were excellent and radical and cool in 2016

Here you go, a link to the chapter where the anime ended + a little more they left out!! It's right there, waiting for you!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Theres a ton of stuff I never got to finish, so here's a top 5 of things I did manage to finish this year.

5) Erased: So maybe the story ended up being not as great as we hoped. Doesn't matter. The way it kept us on edge the whole time is a testament to what it accomplished, and it looked great the whole way through.

4) Grimgar: This scratched my fantasy itch in a way I never expected it could be. It had great storytelling and art all the way through and I am excited for more, whenever they get around to it.

3) Re:Zero (Part 1): I'm specifying part 1 because I didn't like any of what part 2 did. It starts with a bunch of existential horror that felt very over done for what the show wanted to accomplish, and the transition episode was just ppl saying obvious things for 20 minutes in a boring location, and the the last part ended up being fairly generic fantasy hero stuff. But what part 1 does is incredibly and absolutely worth mention. It makes amazing use of its groundhogs day premise and looked amazing throughout.

2) Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou: Probably the most unexpectedly amazing show of the year. I smiled like a goof every minute of it, and I hope we get more some day.

1) Jojos: It's Jojo's.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Ahhhh I'm late. Not going to write much since everything I would want to say about these shows has been said already

5. Yuri!!! On Ice: I was very surprised by this show and all of the characters were great. Yuri and Viktor's relationship was well written and I enjoyed watching them interact with each other. Also gay.
4. Haikyuu: Sports! Sports! Sports!
3. Osomatsu-san: Jyushimatsu best Matsu
2. Mob Psycho: I loved this show a lot. Way better than One Punch Man which I feel doesn't have as much heart as Mob.
1. Rakugo: Easily the best show of 2016 with great characters and a look at a form of Japanese performance art I was unfamiliar with . Also gay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I beg all of you. Please watch Rakugo.

• Locked thread