Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Thanks.

Edit: a shameful snipe.

Brutal Garcon fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Quick link for anyone else:

https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/improved-monster-stats-table-for-dd-5th-edition/

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I bookmarked this post which has the link above plus a couple other things that have come in handy:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=465469711

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lifg posted:

A while ago, someone here posted here an idea for how fighters should have been built. Something about giving them three options on an attack, like cleave, expanded crit, and something else.

Does anyone remember that post?

I did say that the even the basic choice 4th edition Fighters have to make, such as choosing between Cleave, Sure Strike, and Tide of Iron as basic attacks, would itself be a huge improvement in how Fighters can be played (in combat).

That is, given a basic attack of [[d20 + Strength mod + Proficiency bonus]] and a damage roll of [[weapon dice + Strength mod]], you could have the Fighter choose between:

Cleave: [[d20 + Strength mod + Proficiency bonus]] for attack, [[weapon dice + Strength mod]] for damage, and an adjacent enemy (that is not the target) also takes [[Strength mod]] amount of damage

Sure Strike: [[d20 + Strength mod + Proficiency bonus + 2]] for attack, [[weapon dice]] for damage

Tide of Iron: [[d20 + Strength mod + Proficiency bonus]] for attack, [[weapon dice + Strength mod]] for damage, and the target gets pushed back 5 feet, and you can move into into the space that the target previously occupied if you so choose

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Big Black Brony posted:

Some people just like to smack things.

With that being said, ive seen the convo about how bad barbarians are, is there any good fix? Is there a good barbarian? Why does exhaustion suck so much (you don't need to explain that to me I know why).

On a basic level, Barbarians are annoying because they're a STR-based class that doesn't get to use STR-based armor (i.e. Heavy Armor)
Either houserule that out, or key their Unarmored Defense off of STR and that part is mostly fixed.

Beyond that, they're basically just a class with lots of HP that does a good job of avoiding damage, so you could kludge in something that lets them sacrifice HP to do [cool thing.]

Also, they only have 2 archetypes and the Berserker one is bad, so I'd just give them the option to take archetypes from other classes (Fighter and/or Ranger jump to mind, but do whatever works for you.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Berserker isnt bad, its terrible on a conceptual level since using its primary feature multiple times puts you into a death spiral, and too much use kills you using mechanics that almost nothing else interacts with. To top it off its primary feature is, otherwise, merely good.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm having a hard time finding a Human Grappler miniature.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
I'm going to be starting up a Fifth edition game soon, coming from 13th Age, and I was hoping for some tips. Things I should avoid like game breaking rules, or poo poo classes. I'm going to try to stick with theater-of-the-mind style game play. Does that work decently in this edition? It felt clunky in 13th Age.

From reading through feats it seems Lucky is just all around broken so I was thinking of just giving it to all players for free at the start of the game as sort of a hero point system, but change it out so its 3 Luck points per level, instead of per long rest. Am I asking for punishment if I do that? If I do, should I just keep it per long rest?

I'm writing up some custom races, because the campaign is taking place in a long running world we've been playing in. Would anyone be willing to check their balance over? I put them up on /r/unearthedarcana and got some feed back, but not much. Or should I just reskin already finished races? Am I digging my self into a huge hole? I have plenty of time to tweak them properly.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Go back to 13th Age. There is literally nothing 5e does better, it just has the D&D name on it.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

Arivia posted:

Go back to 13th Age. There is literally nothing 5e does better, it just has the D&D name on it.

I wanna give it a shot. My players are excited to try it, too. I really disliked a lot of what 13th Age offered. Recharge dice rolls, saves, backgrounds, powers only working on specific dice rolls. There's probably more if I put more thought into it.

Any real advice?

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Huckabee Sting posted:

I wanna give it a shot. My players are excited to try it, too. I really disliked a lot of what 13th Age offered. Recharge dice rolls, saves, backgrounds, powers only working on specific dice rolls. There's probably more if I put more thought into it.

Any real advice?

No real advice here dog. Mostly just haters. Just post

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Huckabee Sting posted:

I'm going to be starting up a Fifth edition game soon, coming from 13th Age, and I was hoping for some tips. Things I should avoid like game breaking rules, or poo poo classes. I'm going to try to stick with theater-of-the-mind style game play. Does that work decently in this edition? It felt clunky in 13th Age.

5e measures everything in 5ft increments rather than squares (4e) or relative positioning (13a) so if you play ToTM you're actively ignoring the rules (this is Functioning As Intended™ for 5e)
Fighters and Rogues are basically building-block classes; barbarians have survivability and not much else; stock PHB Rangers are pretty bad, whereas the most recent UA version just gives them flatout better math than the baselines.

Huckabee Sting posted:

From reading through feats it seems Lucky is just all around broken so I was thinking of just giving it to all players for free at the start of the game as sort of a hero point system, but change it out so its 3 Luck points per level, instead of per long rest. Am I asking for punishment if I do that? If I do, should I just keep it per long rest?

Hero Points are a commonly-used optional rule from the DMG, so something like this is probably fine.
Actually I'd make it 3+level rather than 3*level.

Huckabee Sting posted:

I'm writing up some custom races, because the campaign is taking place in a long running world we've been playing in. Would anyone be willing to check their balance over? I put them up on /r/unearthedarcana and got some feed back, but not much. Or should I just reskin already finished races? Am I digging my self into a huge hole? I have plenty of time to tweak them properly.

IMHO just go with the stock character races but let people fiddle with the ability score bumps a bit. Also, consider making not-small versions of halfing and gnome.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 5, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The DMG has a variant rule where every player starts with 5 Hero Points.

A Hero Point can be spent to add a d6, once, to an attack roll, skill check, or saving throw.
A Hero Point can also be spent to turn a failed death saving throw into a successful one.

Every time the player levels up, their Hero Points reset to an amount equal to [5 + half-character-level].

You may want to consider using that instead, and just disallowing the use of the Luck feat.

===

5e does not cleanly/clearly support TOTM play, since everything is still in 5-foot increments. You'd have to do a lot of handwaving to make it work, in much the same way that you might have had to do a lot of handwaving in previous editions of D&D if you didn't use a gridded map then, either.

===

Much like previous editions of D&D, full casters are going to be head-and-shoulders better than the non-caster ones.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

P.d0t posted:

IMHO just go with the stock character races but let people fiddle with the ability score bumps a bit. Also, consider making not-small versions of halfing and gnome.

Okay. So far this is mostly what I have done, but just named swapped stuff. Though, I have two races that I can not find a DnD equivilant any of the books I have. A sort of vampire-lite race, but not vampires. The other being a telepathic eel swarm that forms a skin out of mucus and takes the shape of a man.

gradenko_2000 posted:

The DMG has a variant rule where every player starts with 5 Hero Points.

A Hero Point can be spent to add a d6, once, to an attack roll, skill check, or saving throw.
A Hero Point can also be spent to turn a failed death saving throw into a successful one.

Every time the player levels up, their Hero Points reset to an amount equal to [5 + half-character-level].

You may want to consider using that instead, and just disallowing the use of the Luck feat.

I'll consider this, but it seems the Lucky feat is like 10 times stronger than the hero point system. Being able to turn disadvantage into rolling 3 and choosing the highest is insane. Actually, I'll probably do this and remove that feat as you suggested.

gradenko_2000 posted:

5e does not cleanly/clearly support TOTM play, since everything is still in 5-foot increments. You'd have to do a lot of handwaving to make it work, in much the same way that you might have had to do a lot of handwaving in previous editions of D&D if you didn't use a gridded map then, either.

Yeah, though in my head feet make more sense than the generic relative positioning of "close, near, far and engaged" that 13th age offered. I can visualize 10 feet easier than "close". Though, I will definitally keep that in mind. We are doing the game on roll20, so plopping down a grid is easy-peasy.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Much like previous editions of D&D, full casters are going to be head-and-shoulders better than the non-caster ones.

Par for the course as heroic rpg's are concerned, I guess.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Huckabee Sting posted:

I'll consider this, but it seems the Lucky feat is like 10 times stronger than the hero point system. Being able to turn disadvantage into rolling 3 and choosing the highest is insane. Actually, I'll probably do this and remove that feat as you suggested.

My opinion on the Hero Point vs. Inspiration/Lucky debate in 5e, is that Hero Points turn near misses into hits, whereas the latter can turn a complete miss into... a completely random number.

IMHO the Hero Point thing is fun and good as a player, but you might as well just fudge it and say "a miss by 2 or less is a hit, w/e" rather than add the bookkeeping.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Huckabee Sting posted:

Par for the course as heroic rpg's are concerned, I guess.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

No it's not, dude. Look, you can make your game actively shittier if you want but don't lie and pretend that the system you're coming from isn't better than the pile of poo poo you're going to. You've been playing 13th Age, where there's actual balance and thought put into the classes. You don't have a martial-spellcaster gap in the game you just played like regressive, badly-designed RPGs do. The last version of D&D didn't have a gap like this. 5e intentionally reintroduced it while whining about the "feel" of damage on a miss and made it even worse in so many respects. (Namely how easy it is for that gap to widen and how early it does so.)

It's up to you what game you play and how you make your fun. But power issues between your PCs is something you're signing up for and adding to your plate as DM because of the game you're choosing. It's not just a necessary part of playing a fantasy RPG. You can do better than that. You have.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

Arivia posted:

No it's not, dude. Look, you can make your game actively shittier if you want but don't lie and pretend that the system you're coming from isn't better than the pile of poo poo you're going to. You've been playing 13th Age, where there's actual balance and thought put into the classes. You don't have a martial-spellcaster gap in the game you just played like regressive, badly-designed RPGs do. The last version of D&D didn't have a gap like this. 5e intentionally reintroduced it while whining about the "feel" of damage on a miss and made it even worse in so many respects. (Namely how easy it is for that gap to widen and how early it does so.)

It's up to you what game you play and how you make your fun. But power issues between your PCs is something you're signing up for and adding to your plate as DM because of the game you're choosing. It's not just a necessary part of playing a fantasy RPG. You can do better than that. You have.

Cool, man. 13th Age is boner inducing, I get it. But we played it to max level, and now we want to play Fifth Edition.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Huckabee Sting posted:

Cool, man. 13th Age is boner inducing, I get it. But we played it to max level, and now we want to play Fifth Edition.

Dude, my main game is loving Pathfinder. I like the poo poo out of Pathfinder, and I've bought tons of poo poo for it. However, I don't pretend that Pathfinder doesn't have issues, or that it's not bad in a lot of ways that other games do better. Don't make loving false critical statements about games in general, especially when you've played other games that disprove those statements yourself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Huckabee Sting posted:

Yeah, though in my head feet make more sense than the generic relative positioning of "close, near, far and engaged" that 13th age offered. I can visualize 10 feet easier than "close". Though, I will definitally keep that in mind. We are doing the game on roll20, so plopping down a grid is easy-peasy.

If you're playing in roll20, then yes, by all means use a grid.

P.d0t posted:

IMHO the Hero Point thing is fun and good as a player, but you might as well just fudge it and say "a miss by 2 or less is a hit, w/e" rather than add the bookkeeping.

My take on this is that book-keeping for a limited number of Hero Points is a good-and-cool thing, as long as you are presenting challenges that are daunting enough that people will want to spend them and you are making levels long enough that people may run out.

That is, resource management only matters if you threaten to run the tank empty.

Further, I personally would turn Hero Points into a flat +3 to a roll, to promote consistency. If the player spends the thing, they drat well better get something out of it. In comparison, GURPS's "buying success" rule just flat out improves a failure into a success if you spend one of your character points on a roll.

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

Arivia posted:

Dude, my main game is loving Pathfinder. I like the poo poo out of Pathfinder, and I've bought tons of poo poo for it. However, I don't pretend that Pathfinder doesn't have issues, or that it's not bad in a lot of ways that other games do better. Don't make loving false critical statements about games in general, especially when you've played other games that disprove those statements yourself.

I also like pathfinder. It is a fun game. I just finished a 4 year long mythic campaign that was a blast. I have a few books for it. Not sure how owning books is relevant.

13th Age is far from perfect, and also has martial-caster disparity. The Barbarian has 10 class powers to choose from, and 1 class feature. The Paladin as 9 powers to choose from, and 1 class feature. Ranger has 12 class powers to choose from and 0 class features. The wizard has 6 class talents to choose from, 4 class features to start with, 9 cantrips , and utility spells; now we finally start getting into actual spells. Necromancer has 8 class talents, and 6 class features before we start getting into spells. The fighter is neat in theory with the maneuvers and all but the disparity is there, and made worse by the fact that half the martial powers only work 50% of the time due to having to have a natural odd/even roll on top of having to actually hit the target. Where casters don't suffer this. I mean, read this poo poo:

quote:

Counter-Attack

Once per round when the escalation die is even and an enemy misses you with a natural odd melee attack roll, you can make a basic melee attack dealing half damage against that enemy as a free action.

Might as well base the abilities on the phases of the moon, and whether the tide is coming in or rolling out. "I'm a Sagittarius and the enemy ate a spring roll last Thursday, so I get to punch him 'um in the dick."

The recharge mechanic after the fight slows the game down, and brings players out of the game as we sit around the table rolling dice for all the powers and spells used.

We can go further? The icon system itself is a complete joke even though it takes up 1/3rd of the damned core rule book. The most common house-ruled mechanic in the whole game is their flagship mechanic. I can go on.

I believe you when you say 13th Age is better balanced and what have you. But it also is not with out its flaws, and those flaws happened to be specifically annoying to my gaming table, so we want to try something else.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Huckabee Sting posted:

I believe you when you say 13th Age is better balanced and what have you.

Great dude. Shut up about the other stuff instead of trying to move the goalposts.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just get everyone to play spellcasters, they do everything martials do, but better.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

My take on this is that book-keeping for a limited number of Hero Points is a good-and-cool thing, as long as you are presenting challenges that are daunting enough that people will want to spend them and you are making levels long enough that people may run out.

That is, resource management only matters if you threaten to run the tank empty.

Only give hero points to martials, then. Spellcasters get enough resource management.

Oh wait, multi-classing strikes again.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Huckabee Sting posted:

Counter-Attack

Once per round when the escalation die is even and an enemy misses you with a natural odd melee attack roll, you can make a basic melee attack dealing half damage against that enemy as a free action.

This is hilarious: so basically you have a 1/16 chance of doing half-damage to a thing, if they melee you. :allears:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

P.d0t posted:

Only give hero points to martials, then. Spellcasters get enough resource management.

Hey you know by RAW multi-classing is an optional rule, so you may as well start a game where people cannot multi-class.

P.d0t posted:

This is hilarious: so basically you have a 1/16 chance of doing half-damage to a thing, if they melee you. :allears:

I wanted to talk about this, but I didn't want to clog up the Next thread any further, so let's take it to the chat thread?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

P.d0t posted:

Speaking of which: proficiency. I would be amazed if earlier prototypes of this edition didn't have fighters (and maybe rogues) getting bigger bonuses faster than other classes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't think so. What we know as Proficiency in 5e is functionally equivalent to 4e's Half-Level Bonus, which is itself functionally equivalent to letting everyone attack as though they had "full BAB" in 3e terms.

The terms just change because Proficiency applies more than just attack rolls, so you can't call it BAB, and the way the math is structured means you don't want it increasing every other level, so you can't call it a Half-Level Bonus.

VVVVVV Huh ... egg on my face I suppose.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jan 5, 2017

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Dzhay posted:

Speaking of which: proficiency. I would be amazed if earlier prototypes of this edition didn't have fighters (and maybe rogues) getting bigger bonuses faster than other classes.

You're quite right. I have saved an old version of the playtest from 2012 that only covers levels 1-5; Clerics have a "Weapon Attack" and a "Magic Attack" bonus, both of which are +2 at all levels. The Fighter only has a Weapon Attack bonus, which starts at +3 and goes up to +4. Rogue Weapon Attack starts at +2 and goes to +3 (at a different level than when the Fighter improves). Wizards have Weapon Attack stuck at +2, while their Magic Attack is the same as the Fighter's Weapon Attack.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad

Huckabee Sting posted:

My non hater post, pick up the starter pack and a phb. My group I'm running had used that as basically a tutorial deal. I think it's pretty decent as well. As far as theater of the mind, I've tried going gridless but it just doesn't work, my players don't like not having something to move on. As far as tweaking, we haven't had too much we wanted to change. But every session we start by talking about how it's going what they want to see and how they like how the encounters are.

So far we have had a blast, even positive comment on their tpk.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I've had mixed results with theater of the mind. It heavily depends on player preferences and the willingness of the DM to be easygoing about distances and to be a proactive communicator about the battle area.

One game that I play in is almost entirely theater of the mind, and it works great. It's also combat-light and with fairly experienced players, and the DM has us focused on when and where to fight over actual tactical combat. And we're okay with that, and are on the same page as the DM in how to use our abilities in a freer setting.

I also run a game with some fairly new players, and we use a grid for all but the simplest combats. They prefer to have a concrete picture of what is going on, and it helps remind them of the abilities that they have on their sheets.

It makes for two fairly different games, but they both work for their respective groups due to above the table communication.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Huckabee Sting, it is worth checking the links at the top of the page to learn how to make appropriately challenging encounters. The Challenge Rating in the official books is almost useless as a way to properly determine difficulty of an encounter.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kibner posted:

Huckabee Sting, it is worth checking the links at the top of the page to learn how to make appropriately challenging encounters. The Challenge Rating in the official books is almost useless as a way to properly determine difficulty of an encounter.

It's very telling that the main developer doesn't even use those rules.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

My fiance rolled up a female Triton Ranger for a campaign we just started (the same one I mentioned in my last couple posts). We had been doing theater of the mind in a previous campaign, but the group has been talking about wanting to try minis. We aren't going full on grid, but will just be using them as a tool for us to keep a rough idea of location relative to our surroundings. I haven't been able to find any "Triton" minis online though. Is there a specific site I should be looking on, or does anyone know of an okay substitute that could pass for a Triton?

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

wisdomHNOX posted:

My fiance rolled up a female Triton Ranger for a campaign we just started (the same one I mentioned in my last couple posts). We had been doing theater of the mind in a previous campaign, but the group has been talking about wanting to try minis. We aren't going full on grid, but will just be using them as a tool for us to keep a rough idea of location relative to our surroundings. I haven't been able to find any "Triton" minis online though. Is there a specific site I should be looking on, or does anyone know of an okay substitute that could pass for a Triton?

You could mess around on heroforge and see what you come up with.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
These searches on Reaper's site may have something for you:

https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/mermaid
https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/aquatic

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Looks like this is the next 5e product

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/817060072484278272

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

"Get killed repeatedly in these old dungeons that Gygax designed to gently caress his players! We didn't change anything so good luck!"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Huckabee Sting posted:

Okay, so we like to joke around here that the cardinal rule of 5E is "Ask your DM." That's because a lot of the various FAQs and the like answer questions about game mechanics with "Ask your DM." The thing about 5E in my experience, is that despite what it claims to be, ie a simplified version of D&D that anyone can start DMing as their first game, 5E is actually the opposite. Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition rewards experienced DMs who can adapt on the fly to the holes in the game, while in turn punishes inexperienced DMs who end up wasting time and energy looking for detailed rules that flat out don't exist.

Which is to say that being a successful 5E DM is less about finding a specific rule for any given situation as it is realizing that you'll just have to eyeball it, pick a difficulty number, assign advantage or disadvantage, and be ready to improvise based on the results. In many ways, running 5E is closer to the old freeform style games like Amber Diceless or FATE than traditional D&D. Granted, 5E is a hybrid since it does have a lot more mechanical rules than those freeform games, so there's some structure, but you as the DM have the freedom...and responsibility...to handle a lot of what the rules do not.

I really enjoy running a 5E game. I've been DMing for more than thirty years and 5E fills a perfect spot for me between "there's a rule for every drat thing" a la 3.5/Pathfinder and "describe it and it happens" as in FATE. I've got room to maneuver but enough structure that I don't have to do everything. Which is great for me, but might not be great for you. If you don't like improvising how a rule works on the spot, or your players are the sorts who want everything in black and white in a book that you can point ot, then 5E might not be for you. If you enjoy going with the flow and adjusting things on the fly? Fifth edition can work for you.

As far as specific classes and rules to look out for?

The most powerful class in the game is Diviner. Diviners (a sub-class of Wizard) get a mechanic early on where every morning they roll a pair of d20s and write down the results. Later in the day they can, before the roll is made, point at a d20 someone within line of sight is rolling and replace that die roll with one of the ones they rolled in the morning. Combining a '3' on a die with an enemy's saving throw, especially on a "save or be hosed" spell like Banishment or Dominate Monster can seriously imbalance a combat encounter. If a Diviner is allowed to combine with other dice altering mechanics, such as the aforementioned Lucky feat, things can get out of hand quickly. Which isn't to say that I recommend that you ban Diviners, though that is an option if you don't want to deal with it, just that having one among your players will fundamentally change your math.

Note, however, that another difficulty with 5E DMing is properly balancing the encounters to rests balance. The old school "wandering monster" model (where-in the party gets jumped by a random monster or pack of monsters while travelling from point A to B) is almost a complete waste of time once the characters hit 5th level or so because, knowing that there will probably not be another encounter that day, the spellcasters are free to nova all their best spells without repercussion. On the other hand, dragging things out over a series of ten encounters without any chances to rest will deplete the party's resources to the point that they'll be combat ineffective and down to basic attacks and cantrips, and that isn't a fun way to run presumably the climactic battle of a dungeon. I recommend designing things such that short rests are available along the way but long rests are rare....and making sure your players are aware that is what they should expect! In that way short rest classes, like Fighters, can be free to use their abilities more often than long rest classes, like Wizards and Clerics, who will have to be more careful about husbanding their encounter breaking abilities. Which in turn helps that caster/non-caster balance that is such a pickle.

Also be aware that 5E is more lethal than 4E was. They share the Death Save mechanic, but 5E''s is more dangerous. If you're unconscious and take any damage at all, that counts as a failed Death Save. In other words, if you're get taken out and someone fireballs the area you're lying in, that's one strike out of three. If someone critical hits you, which they will automatically if they hit your unconscious body in melee, that's TWO failed death saves. Likewise if you roll a '1' on your Death Save that is also two failed saves. This makes it much more important to slap a helaing kit on a fallen ally because you want them stabilized as soon as possible or else PCs are going to die. Naturally, you need to make sure your players know that's how it works so they can appreciate the importance of first aid and emergency healing. (Healing potions! Buy lots!) This can work to your advantage as a DM because it forces players to do more than just apply maximum damage to your monsters, making battles more complicated once a PC gets knocked out.

To do that, however, you'll have to make sure your monsters can actually threaten your players! Be very leery about handing out +AC gear to your players. Attack bonuses don't go up very quickly in 5E. One +2 Shield can take your plate mail clad Fighter from "hard to hit" to "nigh unhittable". With the result that anything that can reasonably hit the armored Fighter will nearly autohit the party Rogue and that's not a place you want to be. Try to avoid it by keeping everyone's AC with a reasonable range of one another. Having the Wizard be AC 15 and the Fighter AC 19 is fine. Having the Druid be AC 14 and the Paladin AC 24? Not so much.

As far as theater of the mind goes, you can do it but it'll take some work on your part. In particular it matters for AoE spells. With a grid it's easy to tell who is and isn't going to get fireballed. With theater of the mind you need to make clear, each and every round, who's available to get blasted and who isn't. If you're a descriptive enough DM that can be great. Me? I use the grid. To each their own.

Which brings me to my final point. For whatever reason, probably because 5E is a step back towards older versions of the game and not a continuation of the ethos of 4E, the 5E thread here has a lot of people who feel compelled to post exclusively about how much they hate 5E, why you shouldn't play it under any circumstance, and why you should play something else entirely, usually 13th Age or Dungeon World. To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen 5E players go into the 13th Age thread and tell them they should play 5E instead, but whatever. It's just something we've learned to live with around here, I guess. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
New book includes a 5e tomb of horrors...and Dead in Thay which was complete garbage.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 5, 2017