Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spacebump posted:

I love Nintendo but the way fanboys rush to defend everything they do is crazy.

The simple fact is that most games from the past decade or so are built to run on drat-near anything, because they use proprietary middleware engines with versions for the respective hardware. Go pull some PS3 or X360 games off your shelf and you'll find most of them have Havok or Unreal Engine stamped on the back. It's a comparatively easy (and cheaper) job compared to having to build an interface from scratch for each and every hate-filled flavour of idiosyncratic cowboy code designed specifically for a unique circuit architecture, generally without the source code, because at the very base level the game should actually work instead of collapsing under a pile of incompatibilities and runtime errors. That's by no means going to be universal (you still see some idiosyncratic console-specific engines like The Last Guardian's), but it's going to account for a good 90+% of recent console libraries.

Stuff like Sony's cross-buy for PS1 and PS2 games (along with some regular titles) is because they're the same basic emulation platform across the PSP, PS3 and Vita; There's no real work to be done to get it working on the other two if it works on one of them, so gently caress it, why not? The 3DS versions of NES and SNES games are ground-up emulation builds unrelated to the WiiU's, and yes they absolutely should at least discount the loving things if you own it on the Wii/WiiU, but it's not entirely unreasonable to expect a small cost for a new build. Hell, Sony charges for PS2 games again on PS4 even if you owned them on PS3 for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Why is it always Nintendo fans who are like "No, I want to pay for the privilege of playing games I've already bought!" I'm not paying $10 again for EarthBound. I don't care how many bespoke, artisanal touches went into ensuring that the emulator works.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Scratch-O posted:

Why is it always Nintendo fans who are like "No, I want to pay for the privilege of playing games I've already bought!" I'm not paying $10 again for EarthBound. I don't care how many bespoke, artisanal touches went into ensuring that the emulator works.

I pretty much play just 98% Nintendo and I hope they, at least, let all 50 of us that bought a Wii U transfer our VC games for free and perhaps give us a nice discount on all the many Wii U ports the Switch will probably get.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I pretty much play just 98% Nintendo and I hope they, at least, let all 50 of us that bought a Wii U transfer our VC games for free and perhaps give us a nice discount on all the many Wii U ports the Switch will probably get.

Neither of these things will happen, though at least Nintendo isn't the only one doing one of them

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

My dream is that the Switch has a full emulated WiiU inside it which still has a full emulated Wii in it so I can transfer everything I own like a Bubushka doll of classic games that I don't want to pay for again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Scratch-O posted:

Because you're not rebuying the exact same product. You're buying a different copy of the game that's running on a different system. If you bought Earthbound on 3DS, you can continue playing it on 3DS. It is the height of entitlement to expect to be given, for free, a second copy on a different platform.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yes, it's the height of entitlement.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Spacebump posted:

After watching Microsoft do backwards compatibility for free, I'm going to be pissed when Nintendo says "please understand, you need to buy virtual console games again to play them on the switch."

I mean, the WiiU was BC with all your Wii stuff, including VC games. Though no disc drive plus lol nintendo account systems means they won't be able to do what MS did with 360 BC.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 5, 2017

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Scratch-O posted:

Other things some Nintendo fans go all in on

"I don't want the console to have voice chat because I don't like hearing other people's voices and am too lazy to mute people"
"The switch from Club Nintendo to My Nintendo is better. I didn't think they had enough free games and the rewards stunk"

I love their stuff but I don't get it. The funniest thing about VC games on the eShop is the random games that have higher prices than anything else from their system.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 5, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

No room for nuance on the internet, so disagreement or indifference turns into "no you're wrong and it's actually a good thing".

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Look you can get 3 discounts a month per system that's more than 0 discounts. Stop being ungrateful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spacebump posted:

I love their stuff but I don't get it. The funniest thing about VC games on the eShop is the random games that have higher prices than anything else from their system.

Nothing random about them, they're generally Japanese titles that never got a western release like Sin and Punishment. It's a holdover from the Hanabi Festival releases on the Wii Shop Channel.

Motto posted:

I mean, the WiiU was BC with all your Wii stuff, including VC games. Though disc drive plus lol nintendo account systems means they won't be able to do what MS did with 360 BC.

I'd bet good money the Nintendo logic on that is "well why don't they just use their discs if they have them? :confused:". Not agreeing with it even if it were the case, just guessing wildly.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nothing random about them, they're generally Japanese titles that never got a western release like Sin and Punishment. It's a holdover from the Hanabi Festival releases on the Wii Shop Channel.

The what releases? I've never heard that phrase before.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sam Faust posted:

The what releases? I've never heard that phrase before.

It was a thing they did for a while with the Wii Shop Channel (all of like three groups of game releases) where they released titles like Super Mario Bros 2 (The Japanese version) and Sin and Punishment that never saw an english release. It also saw the EU getting a couple of US-only games like Super Mario RPG on the SNES.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Spacebump posted:

Other things some Nintendo fans go all in on

"I don't want the console to have voice chat because I don't like hearing other people's voices and am too lazy to mute people"
"The switch from Club Nintendo to My Nintendo is better. I didn't think they had enough free games and the rewards stunk"

Like 90% of this thread is bitching, just name who you hate here instead of making words up.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I hate Nintendo fans they sure love to jerk off to rosalina foot pics

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

elf help book posted:

I hate Nintendo fans they sure love to jerk off to rosalina foot pics

After that angry reddit guy bought all the rosalina amiibos what choice do I have

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

I wouldn't say that, but I would say that I don't give a poo poo about whether or not the system has voice chat because I would literally never use it, and that therefore voice chat is not a factor in my evaluation of whether a system is good or not. Someone who is concerned with voice chat would have a different opinion, obviously, but I don't see why I should act angry about a feature that I'd never use and have no interest in using.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fawf posted:

After that angry reddit guy bought all the rosalina amiibos what choice do I have

Let's be honest, we're all Nintendo fans here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Patter Song posted:

I wouldn't say that, but I would say that I don't give a poo poo about whether or not the system has voice chat because I would literally never use it, and that therefore voice chat is not a factor in my evaluation of whether a system is good or not. Someone who is concerned with voice chat would have a different opinion, obviously, but I don't see why I should act angry about a feature that I'd never use and have no interest in using.

Because it's generally to the detriment of your team if you aren't at least listening in to what your teammates are saying. It's not about you, it's about making yourself a liability for everyone else.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Typical Nintendo Fan here, this thread sucks and I'm sick of posting it it!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Open Sesame!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am a Nintendo fan! I like Nintendo. I'm also a SONY fan. I was a Microsoft fan too. I am a video games fan!

Video gaming is great!

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

You would say that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Overminty posted:

You would say that.

And I'm right :getin:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

VideoGames posted:

I am a Nintendo fan! I like Nintendo. I'm also a SONY fan. I was a Microsoft fan too. I am a video games fan!

Video gaming is great!

Is this a form of masturbation?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VideoGames posted:

Video gaming is great!

Your avatar reveals where your true allegiances lie, you fraud! :colbert:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but are there any Wii U games that have substantial Amiibo-locked content? Looking into buying a used console, want to know if I should be hunting for those stupid figurines as well.

Edit: random aside, I'm genuinely surprised that Nintendo never re-released the Galaxy games in HD on the Wii U.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 5, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

anatomi posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but are there any Wii U games that have substantial Amiibo-locked content? Looking into buying a used console, want to know if I should be hunting for those stupid figurines as well.

Edit: random aside, I'm genuinely surprised that Nintendo never re-released the Galaxy games in HD on the Wii U.

Nope, the closest is a few cosmetic skins in Mario Kart and Yoshi's Woolly World. Nothing major gameplay-wise that absolutely requires you to bring in a matching amiibo.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

Is this a form of masturbation?

I consume, so actually its mastication.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Your avatar reveals where your true allegiances lie, you fraud! :colbert:

Ha! I am the wake that caused the rise of Nintendo. Thanks 1983!

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I would just like to take this moment to say that ocarina of time 3d looks fantastic. I was allowed to send one message to the future and I chose this.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nope, the closest is a few cosmetic skins in Mario Kart and Yoshi's Woolly World. Nothing major gameplay-wise that absolutely requires you to bring in a matching amiibo.

Thanks!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shovel Knight locks co-op mode behind having an Amiibo and there's an extra weapon you can only get in Hyrule Warriors with a Link one (the spinner). Those are the biggest ones I know of.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

Shovel Knight locks co-op mode behind having an Amiibo and there's an extra weapon you can only get in Hyrule Warriors with a Link one (the spinner). Those are the biggest ones I know of.

Re: spinner; you only need to scan the amiibo once to unlock it forever, so borrowing one (or buying and then returning it to the store) would work if you don't want to own one forever.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You should buy a Link amiibo though because Link is cool.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

irlZaphod posted:

You should buy a Link amiibo though because Link is cool.

Especially now that there are some non-piss-column options for a Link

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

anatomi posted:

Toad unlocks the find a hidden toad mode in Captain Toad. You need to scan it for every level.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Is someone going to tell me what games are on sale or what here???

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Until PSN's probation runs out, we're going by announcements.

One week until the Switch presentation! :w00t:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think it was mario party 10 that has a whole mode locked behind amiibos where the amiibos let you make a small custom board to play on, but idk how in-depth that mode is. That mode seemed more like classic mario party than the "everybody in a car" main mode.

There are a couple of wii u games that absolutely require amiibos to actually accomplish anything, but those are Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival (a poor mario party clone but with animal crossing and no minigames and entirely luck based and requires at least 1 compatible amiibo to function, as well as the 3 or 4 minigames accessible in the main menu that require amiibo cards) and the eshop free mario vs donkey kong game where you can use any amiibo, but certain amiibos unlock new worlds and new playstyle gimmicks and I had a lot of fun with it doing the levels that I had access to.