Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

prefect posted:

Thinking about it, I like all the Smuggler companions; there aren't any of them I wish I could casually leave behind on some planet. You should give it another shot.

Corso can be incredibly irritating if you play a lady smuggler who doesn't want to romance him. The guy does not take a hint and neither does the game. And if you take one flirt with him ever, it usually locks in the romance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Asimo posted:

Trooper's utterly irredeemable though. Horrible pacing, excruciatingly dull storyline with minimal relevance, annoying NPCs, annoying or dull companions (except 4X), and it even ends in a horrible tepid anticlimax with no real payoff. Even Bounty Hunter at least has a bunch of fun little moments littered throughout it and has a pretty important finale.

What do you mean by "relevance" and why do you consider it important?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

sassassin posted:

The Knight defeats the Emperor kinda and several powerful Sith Lords.

The Consular prevents an alliance of very important worlds including Balmorra and Manaan from seceding while taking down the First Son.

The Smuggler can potentially bring an entire fleet to help the Republic.

The Trooper takes down a single base and a single Imperial general.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Knight is the only relevant class story in the whole game now that we have the Zakuul stuff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Feel like Smuggler and Bounty Hunter have the most fun companion interactions. BH and Mako still cracking jokes about the Republic guy disguised as his lover's brother missions later stands out.

On pure story quality/what you can do though it's hard to beat Agent and Light Side Sith Warrior.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 5, 2017

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

The Knight defeats the Emperor kinda and several powerful Sith Lords.

The Consular prevents an alliance of very important worlds including Balmorra and Manaan from seceding while taking down the First Son.

The Smuggler can potentially bring an entire fleet to help the Republic.

The Trooper takes down a single base and a single Imperial general.

No reason why these can't all be interesting, compelling stories. Not everything has to be about Saving The Galaxy.

Trooper's final fight sort of really sucks but the set piece leading up to it is better than the very similar Consular one. One is more "relevant" but which is more fun/entertaining/gooder? Joe Grunt only takes on one superweapon compared to the Knight's 5 or 6, but goddamn was I tired of that in the latter's class story. Change the record, we've seen it blow up planets before.

Ava Jaxo and the prison ship is a more compelling storytelling than "defeating" the "Emperor".

Sith Lords ain't poo poo and killing so many of them probably stabilises the Empire and helps it more than hinders.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Ava Jaxo and the prison ship is a more compelling storytelling than "defeating" the "Emperor".

Did not like that bit at all. Which, I suppose, was the goal.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

All characters are relevant because they all become emperor of the eternal throne

I finished KOTET and it was cool mostly but I have a few questions:

What exactly was the point of Valkorion's whole plan? I understand that his endgame was helping you take the throne, and then possessing you so that he could take control, but like....why? When you start KOTFE, he's already sitting on the throne, his big grand plan just takes him back to where he started. Did I miss a line of dialogue or something about why he wanted to go through all that?

Are there many different outcomes based on the choices you make, or is it like a telltale game where it's just a bunch of different paths to the same endpoint? Does it matter much if you choose to kneel/accept Valkorion's help in KOTFE, or does that just come up as a line of dialogue in KOTET? I'm not super in a hurry to play through the chapters again and see for myself.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 5, 2017

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

Feel like Smuggler and Bounty Hunter have the most fun companion interactions. BH and Mako still cracking jokes about the Republic guy disguised as his lover's brother missions later stands out.

On pure story quality/what you can do though it's hard to beat Agent and Light Side Sith Warrior.
Yeah, thematically speaking the Smuggler and Bounty Hunter storylines are probably the closest match, even if they're not mirror classes. Which means Agent is probably the closest mirror to Trooper, and well...

sassassin posted:

You spend a few dozen hours farting around to slowly assemble a group of unlikable sods to maybe kinda vaguely win one battle, and not even dramatically at that. gently caress spoilers, if you're light side you don't even get to kill the general guy, he just gets thrown in prison and Saresh takes all the credit. :geno: The Act 2 wrapup has more drama and excitement than Act 3, and that's just terrible. It's not even a scrappy underdog against the odds sort of military story like Rogue One, you're a well-equipped well supported solider of the strongest government in the galaxy at the time... who judging by their importance they'd be an NPC in any other class storyline since you literally run into a dozen different forgettable officers just like them along the way. Hooray.

I mean if you want to do that sort of thing more power to you, but it's not only a lovely fit for a star wars plot it's not nearly well paced or well-written to justify telling it. And it looks even more spectacularly worse considering the inevitable comparisons the Imperial Agent storyline which basically does everything the Trooper storyline really wants to do except it's not poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lieutenant Pierce, off screen, sets up the whole fall of Corellia.

He accomplishes more than several classes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Asimo posted:

gently caress spoilers, if you're light side you don't even get to kill the general guy, he just gets thrown in prison and Saresh takes all the credit.

Welcome to being a soldier. Sucks, don't it. You don't get to set the universe to rights, just follow orders and hope for the best (which is the same as every class story, really, Trooper is just explicit about it).

You can kill him if "you're light side", though. Sparing him is just the Light Side choice. Letting your alignment determine your decisions is a bitch move.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ainsley McTree posted:

What exactly was the point of Valkorion's whole plan? I understand that his endgame was helping you take the throne, and then possessing you so that he could take control, but like....why? When you start KOTFE, he's already sitting on the throne, his big grand plan just takes him back to where he started. Did I miss a line of dialogue or something about why he wanted to go through all that?

Getting murdered wasn't part of his plan.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Ainsley McTree posted:

Are there many different outcomes based on the choices you make, or is it like a telltale game where it's just a bunch of different paths to the same endpoint? Does it matter much if you choose to kneel/accept Valkorion's help in KOTFE, or does that just come up as a line of dialogue in KOTET? I'm not super in a hurry to play through the chapters again and see for myself.

I think it's that the Valkorian body is being burned out by the super powerful Sith inhabiting it so it needs a new host sooner or later and Arcann wasn't going to work out for reasons, then you show up with Marr, who wasn't good enough. You were just the best choice on hand but he'd probably burn you out eventually and need another host after that and so on.

Kneeling or not just changes dialogue/forces some options of no consequence as far as I can remember.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Asimo posted:

And it looks even more spectacularly worse considering the inevitable comparisons the Imperial Agent storyline which basically does everything the Trooper storyline really wants to do except it's not poo poo.

What did Trooper "really want to do" that happens in the Agent story? The mind control? The allying with enemy forces? Depcover triple agent missions (Agent didn't succeed with this anyway)? Getting drafted to the front lines as a dramatic third act twist (which lasts 5 minutes before reverting to norm)? Companions that have no reasonable reason for being kept around?

I don't see the inevitable comparison. It's closest to Knight in approach.

edit: Knight is closer to Agent, too, in that you come to distrust the people who are sending you on your missions (since they caused all the problems in the first place), there's mind control, double agents and companions who have no business being on your ship.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 5, 2017

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

sassassin posted:

Yeah. All his talk about how you're the greatest, none compare to you, it's all horse poo poo and you're just the backup plan he came up with last second after Arcann betrayed him and you got a sucker punch in. You're a useful vessel that he can hollow out and replace with no one the wiser.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

sassassin posted:

It absolutely was that's why he clears the room right before and then purposefully turns his back on Arcann.

sassassin posted:

Your definition of good story seems to hinge on how much t & a is involved. It's really creepy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Berke Negri posted:

Yeah. All his talk about how you're the greatest, none compare to you, it's all horse poo poo and you're just the backup plan he came up with last second after Arcann betrayed him and you got a sucker punch in. You're a useful vessel that he can hollow out and replace with no one the wiser.

I don't think so? Valkorion seemed pretty in control of that situation and only let himself get killed because he wanted to, I get the sense that he could have mopped the floor with everyone in the room if he wanted to (including you, as long as it was in a cutscene).

Aleth posted:

I think it's that the Valkorian body is being burned out by the super powerful Sith inhabiting it so it needs a new host sooner or later and Arcann wasn't going to work out for reasons, then you show up with Marr, who wasn't good enough. You were just the best choice on hand but he'd probably burn you out eventually and need another host after that and so on.

Kneeling or not just changes dialogue/forces some options of no consequence as far as I can remember.

That explanation makes sense, I just can't remember if it was ever actually stated in-game or not. I played through the chapters pretty slowly, and not entirely soberly though, so it's very possible I just missed or forgot something.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

Your definition of good story seems to hinge on how much t & a is involved. It's really creepy.

I thought only Medullah wrote fanfiction about me. I've made too many effortposts about story on here for this to appear true.

You don't see her t's or a when she's begging for her life over the radio and you have a choice between doing the Right Thing (in a needs of the many sense) and saving her, a person you actually know and may have a relationship with.

Compared to the Vette/Torian 'pick your favourite' choice in KOTET, it's a powerful piece of decision-based storytelling.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 5, 2017

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

sassassin posted:

I thought only Medullah wrote fanfiction about me. I've made too many effortposts about story on here for this to appear true.

You don't see her t's or a when she's begging for her life over the radio and you have a choice between doing the Right Thing (in a needs of the many sense) and saving her, a person you actually know and may have a relationship with.

Compared to the Vette/Torian 'pick your favourite' choice in KOTET, it's a powerful piece of decision-based storytelling.

I agree - most of the conversation picks were just 'what gets me the appropriate alignment points/boost my rep with X companion'. That one made me hesitate.

The rest of the Trooper storyline is flawed, but that moment works.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I know people love high stakes and consequences but

quote:

There are trillions of lives on the line here. Everything we have - the entire Republic - depends on you. Good luck.

It's a sidequest/flashpoint and you get told off for causing too much collateral damage at the end of it.

The boy who cried Death Star over here.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

sassassin posted:

Letting your alignment determine your decisions is a bitch move.

I definitely agree. This touches on one of my minor pet peeves though - your alignment title gets unceremoniously yanked if you make a single contrary choice. I wish they made it so getting the title required perfect standing as it does now, but would only be pulled if you dropped below like 90% or something. As a lightside inquisitor that uses the "Pure" title for thematic reasons, I hate having it yanked when I'm inclined to make a single "dark" choice.

This happened to me a lot at the end of KOTFE/beginning of KOTET involving Arcann and Senya. There's no motherfucking way I was just going to let Senya betray me and rehabilitate her power-crazed dictator son that I spent the entire expansion building an alliance to kill. I tried to shoot those assholes down. And then she wants me to help her heal him, when he's tried to kill me at least twice before and has given me literally no reason whatsoever to think he won't just try to murder me again as soon as he wakes up? Lol no, I'm still strongly inclined to kill the fucker. Sorry!

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Aphrodite posted:

Lieutenant Pierce, off screen, sets up the whole fall of Corellia.

He accomplishes more than several classes.

Even his companions in Black Ops were more interesting than 50% of your actual companions. And you meet them for several minutes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hakarne posted:

I definitely agree. This touches on one of my minor pet peeves though - your alignment title gets unceremoniously yanked if you make a single contrary choice. I wish they made it so getting the title required perfect standing as it does now, but would only be pulled if you dropped below like 90% or something. As a lightside inquisitor that uses the "Pure" title for thematic reasons, I hate having it yanked when I'm inclined to make a single "dark" choice.

That's a pet peeve of mine too even though all it takes is knocking out a diplomacy mission or a quick heroic with a ls/ds choice to fix, it's still a 'why should I have to considering all the effort I already put into getting that title'. Granted I've slowly drifted away from using ls/ds titles because drat I'd get some flack from some people for being a lightside sith as if I'm specifically insulting them on purpose, but it's still the principle of the thing of I earned the title and shouldn't get it pulled.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
No titles is the only way to go.

Got to Chapter 3 of KOTET and I'm pretty sick of Vaylin as a character now. She's overstayed her welcome.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Got to Chapter 3 of KOTET and I'm pretty sick of Vaylin as a character now. She's overstayed her welcome.

Ooh, bad news for you then

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

What did Trooper "really want to do" that happens in the Agent story? The mind control? The allying with enemy forces? Depcover triple agent missions (Agent didn't succeed with this anyway)? Getting drafted to the front lines as a dramatic third act twist (which lasts 5 minutes before reverting to norm)? Companions that have no reasonable reason for being kept around?

I don't see the inevitable comparison. It's closest to Knight in approach.

edit: Knight is closer to Agent, too, in that you come to distrust the people who are sending you on your missions (since they caused all the problems in the first place), there's mind control, double agents and companions who have no business being on your ship.
There's huge themes through the Trooper story about corruption and incompetence in the Republic government, traitors in the senate, and defections of high-ranking officers to the Empire. I mean it's easy to forget because it's written like poo poo and most of it is instantly resolves with a punch to the face of the offending party, but if it wasn't poo poo it would pretty easy to see how it would lead to a lot of intrigue and overlap with the Imperial Agent themes, not least of which because they'd theoretically be the people actively working to stop you.

But it is poo poo, so hey.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Vaylins a bad girl with a little girl voice and daddy issues, WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE!?!?!?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Vailyn only worked as a sarcastic/comedic foil to Arcann. Mainlining her is just awful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I still want her costume.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dely Apple posted:

Even his companions in Black Ops were more interesting than 50% of your actual companions. And you meet them for several minutes.

I felt sorry for the lady who had to do terrible things to make Old Man Moff follow her orders. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I still want her costume.

Well, I mean it IS available, just minus the Power Girl boob window

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kaysette posted:

Vailyn only worked as a sarcastic/comedic foil to Arcann. Mainlining her is just awful.
Yeah, her writing is... not... good. I mean she's a one note cartoon character villain even by Star Wars dark sider standards, and that's saying something.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And the boots and gloves are different and the hood has a different shape and it doesn't have the drape cloth.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

And the boots and gloves are different and the hood has a different shape and it doesn't have the drape cloth.

Guess I haven't stared longingly at Vaylin enough to notice.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Guess I haven't stared longingly at Vaylin enough to notice.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Somebody buy this as a red text avatar.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

That's definitely a grudge gently caress face.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Aphrodite posted:

:spergin:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How hard are flashpoints now? I know in the last patch, hard modes were more trouble than they were worth; are veteran and/or master difficulty flashpoints the same deal, or are they pretty facerolly now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

How hard are flashpoints now? I know in the last patch, hard modes were more trouble than they were worth; are veteran and/or master difficulty flashpoints the same deal, or are they pretty facerolly now?

Veteran is Tactical, Master is Hard Mode. Veteran seem to be the same, and I haven't done a Hard Mode since 5.0, but I think they are still not worth the time.

Veteran Black Talon can actually be easily solo'd and gives you a nice chunk of GXP along with a few Refined Istotopes.

• Locked thread