Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Reynold posted:

I'm not sorry. There. I said it.

The campaign has a number of unique squadrons, new objectives, obstacles, and other less important things that I think everyone's gonna want a piece of. As far as actually running the thing, I couldn't say. It looks fun, what with slowly building up a fleet and such.

apology accepted

in concept that seems like not enough for me to spend 40 bucks on, idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Val Helmethead posted:

With Wing Commander you can just set pure navigates / engineering and swap into squadron commands when you are in a position to use it (usually turn 2 or 3 and then a couple turns after). Sure it is more expensive than a Support Officer / Skilled First Officer, but it is 100% Slicer Tools proof.

Nailed it. It isn't one-time use, I'm not spending a token to swap my command, and spamming engineer and nav commands with a carrier build (like I normally play) keeps my ships alive and in better positions far longer than they have any right to. With the Pelta frigate out now, a carrier build using an MC80 and a Pelta became buildable, but I haven't had a chance to watch it go down in flames play it yet. My last game with an ISD, a VSD, and ~9 squadrons went fairly well, so I'm hoping to replicate that on the rebel side.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

apology accepted

in concept that seems like not enough for me to spend 40 bucks on, idk

It's not quite that much, but still $30 MSRP for some squadrons and objectives is a little steep. Especially if you don't already have everything else. Honestly, a big part of why I got it is just being excited about new objectives, but also for some reason I thought the new squadrons like "Rogue Squadron" weren't unique for some reason, and were just slightly more expensive versions of the generic squadrons with a different ability. Silly me, you can only have one of those, one of Green Squadron, Gold Squadron, etc.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Eimi posted:

A lot of people have said the benefits of Armada so let me list some of what I see as the downsides. First the game time and general set up is WAY worse than Xwing, especially as the games have tilted squadron heavy, each turn has more things to move and thus will take longer. As well objectives can just be irritating, sometimes you just want to smash ships into other ships.

A big danger is what's called activation advantage. Unlike pilot skill in xwing ships are activated in an I go, you go system, giving first player the advantage, but they can move whatever they wish. This was exceptionally bad with the Gladiator star destroyer and the title Demolisher, this ship was so powerful it could even destroy an ISD in one activation, people would bid 25 points just to go first to use it. It has been pushed out thanks to meta changes, but in general the more ships you have the better. The big iconic and fun ships are active detriments to you winning.

This ties into the defensive token system. Unlike Xwing your defenses rely on the enemy roll on whether you can use them, but you can only use them a max two times per turn before the defense is gone forever. Thus more, smaller hits are the better way to play. Sure the 8 dice hit from your ISD is powerful and scary, but they can use their full defensive array to mitigate it. It's much harder to deal with 4 2 dice attacks, to say nothing of 8 one dice attacks. Hence the meta has gone for many small ships and lots of bombers.

Fortunately the squadron game is really interesting, especially with all the new options, and it totally feels Star Warsy to rely on the backs of your fighters. Unfortunately I'm not sure how the ISD or MC80s will ever really earn their place without a rules overhaul, which probably won't be coming. Also Imperial squads game is off to me as they feel very all or nothing, Rebels have lots of good fighter bombers while Imps can pretty much go either all fighter or all bomber with no inbetween.

I do prefer Armada even with all this bitching, but it's INCREDIBLY hard to find a game.

I had a suspicion that activation advantage would be a thing after reading the rules and meditating a bit on what it would be like to run a pure-movies Imperial squad of, well, like one ISD because two didn't appear likely to fit in 300 pts after accounting for fighters and admirals and cool kit. The defense token thing too.

I was thinking of bending my anti-EU rule for Victory-classes because of game variety needs and because they ain't so ugly anyhow, and my biggest objection to EU is usually how fug-ugly the ships are (K-Wing: an abomination unto the Lord). And how I kinda don't have a choice but to own one, if I keep the game in any form!

Thank you all, you have been very honest, informative, and helpful. I will mull over this a bit.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

I had a suspicion that activation advantage would be a thing after reading the rules and meditating a bit on what it would be like to run a pure-movies Imperial squad of, well, like one ISD because two didn't appear likely to fit in 300 pts after accounting for fighters and admirals and cool kit. The defense token thing too.

I was thinking of bending my anti-EU rule for Victory-classes because of game variety needs and because they ain't so ugly anyhow, and my biggest objection to EU is usually how fug-ugly the ships are (K-Wing: an abomination unto the Lord). And how I kinda don't have a choice but to own one, if I keep the game in any form!

Thank you all, you have been very honest, informative, and helpful. I will mull over this a bit.

Just an FYI, lists should have 400 points. That 300 point limit was just temporary when only Wave 1 stuff was available. Tournaments are now using 400 point limits. Obviously, you can play whatever you and your opponent agree on. At my local store, people occasionally break out 500 point lists just to see what craziness can happen.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Orvin posted:

Just an FYI, lists should have 400 points. That 300 point limit was just temporary when only Wave 1 stuff was available. Tournaments are now using 400 point limits. Obviously, you can play whatever you and your opponent agree on. At my local store, people occasionally break out 500 point lists just to see what craziness can happen.

If you're playing The Corellian Conflict fleets start at 400 points, with a 500 point maximum through reinforcements.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I hope they put K-wings into Armada because I love how loving ugly and overgunned they look.

It also gives me weird :spergin: joy that electronic countermeasures are a meta-strong defensive option. Sir, we've been...jammed

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So it looks like I might be getting in on an Imperial Assault campaign. Anyone got advice for a first-time Rebel? Our GM apparently has most of the expansions so we have our choice of heroes.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

So it looks like I might be getting in on an Imperial Assault campaign. Anyone got advice for a first-time Rebel? Our GM apparently has most of the expansions so we have our choice of heroes.

Play the objectives and keep moving! The best thing a imp player can do is to get you to waste a turn.

Only open a door or trigger an objective when your team is ready...there are almost always spawns when new areas open up.

A melee, midrange , sniper and support party is ideal.

Play with a full team even if someone operates a second character. More fun and better balanced for everyone.

The commander Gideon is useful, but not super fun unless you are super tactically minded.

The Bothan and Mon Cal snipers are both fun

The two heroes from Twin Shadows were a bit 'meh'

The wookie is a super fun wrecking ball and should definitely be the imperial priority to stop

Haven't tried the bespin heroes

The Twilek Jedi is neat but you should try to do her side mission as soon as you can to get a cool weapon

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 1, 2017

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Play the objectives and keep moving! The best thing a imp player can do is to get you to waste a turn.

Only open a door or trigger an objective when your team is ready...there are almost always spawns when new areas open up.

Play with a full team even if someone operates a second character. More fun and better balanced for everyone.

The commander Gideon is useful, but not super fun unless you are super tactically minded.

The wookie is a super fun wrecking ball and should definitely be the imperial priority to stop

The Twilek Jedi is neat but you should try to do her side mission as soon as you can to get a cool weapon

Well we have a team of four (we might even wind up with a fifth), but thanks for all the other tips!

The guy who's running it actually gave this list of what the options are:
Diala Passal - Togruta[sic] Jedi, melee and support
Jyn Odan - human Smuggler, rogue
Gaarkhan - Wookiee melee berserker/tank
Fenn Signis - human ranged fighter
Gideon Argus - human Rebel officer, support type
Mak'eshay - Botham sniper / spy
Saska Teft - human engineer/technician, support
Biv Bodhrik - human tank with short range and melee
Verena Talos - human short range / melee hybrid rogue/fighter
Loka Kanoloa - Mon Calamari sniper / support
MHD-19 - medical droid, healer / support
Davith Elso - human Jedi / melee rogue
Murne Rin -ithorian spy / officer

Kind of hard to choose from that list!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Since we are talking ImpAss, Rogue One inspired me to start a skirmish team. Would something along the lines of Rebel Troopers, Saboteurs, Echo Base Troopers, Gideon and Signis plus either Luke or Leia be a good team?

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well we have a team of four (we might even wind up with a fifth), but thanks for all the other tips!

The guy who's running it actually gave this list of what the options are:
Diala Passal - Togruta[sic] Jedi, melee and support
Jyn Odan - human Smuggler, rogue
Gaarkhan - Wookiee melee berserker/tank
Fenn Signis - human ranged fighter
Gideon Argus - human Rebel officer, support type
Mak'eshay - Botham sniper / spy
Saska Teft - human engineer/technician, support
Biv Bodhrik - human tank with short range and melee
Verena Talos - human short range / melee hybrid rogue/fighter
Loka Kanoloa - Mon Calamari sniper / support
MHD-19 - medical droid, healer / support
Davith Elso - human Jedi / melee rogue
Murne Rin -ithorian spy / officer

Kind of hard to choose from that list!

I cracked open Jabba's Realm last week and the new options make it even harder.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Orvin posted:

Oh really??? That actually really interests me on account of what it opens up for being "allowed" to take ISDs and Mon Cal flagships. I know it's super weird of me to care about point limits since I'm not in the meta because I typically don't buy EU and never go to tournaments, but, well, I get that soothing of the ol' autism to play official point values in X-Wing.

E: makes it a little clearer why people say playtime is long too. With the ship counts I was forecasting and the six-round play limit I was surprised to hear people say it takes longer than X-Wing.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Also only open a door as your first action if at all possible. You can usually take out something inside or hide as your second. Opening as your second action gets you killed.

Weirdly for a living game, the core set heroes are actually among the best still. Fenn in particular is an absolute beast with the right upgrades.

Also worth bearing in mind is that movement is INCREDIBLY important, and killing the imps relatively unimportant. Don't be confused: this is not a combat game. This is an objective-getting puzzle where the combat is there solely to block the objectives. Too much focus on killing stuff will make you lose.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Thirsty Girl posted:

I cracked open Jabba's Realm last week and the new options make it even harder.

Wait is that out? My FLGS has it as 12th of january.

Is the big aqualish guy cool? Because he looks super cool.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Vitamin P posted:

Wait is that out? My FLGS has it as 12th of january.

Is the big aqualish guy cool? Because he looks super cool.

Guardian Games in Portland, Or. had about fifteen copies sitting out. Could be the benefits of being on the water.

And the aqualish is drat cool. He's got a hilarious card that enables him to just use strength tests on everything. There's also an imperial class card set that encourages you to use unique villains.

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 3, 2017

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Thirsty Girl posted:

Guardian Games in Portland, Or. had about fifteen copies sitting out. Could be the benefits of being on the water.

And the aqualish is drat cool. He's got a hilarious card that enables him to just use strength tests on everything. There's also an imperial class card set that encourages you to use unique villains.

Nah, we got it here in Boston too. But the initial supply was not very large and much of it is sold out at the distributor level, IIRC. I don't know exactly when we expect it back in but I know we're expecting our Destiny restock on the 12th and it wouldn't surprise me if an Armada one were on the same time frame.

EDIT: Wait, I lost track, we were talking about IA. No idea on that one, we just got Jabba's Realm and associated stuff in this week. Maybe they missed the deadline for ordering first run?

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Just started my first IA campaign, in Brushfire is it intended that the AT-ST is a prisoner within it's starting position?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 3, 2017

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

I have 3-5 Armada games in the next week, and I'm want to try out some new wave 3 and 4 stuff I just got. I'm hoping to make it to a regional this year, so I'm really pushing myself to "get good". I have three different fleet concepts I'm working on. Here's the one I have the biggest doubts about and would love some critiques on it. It's supposed to be try to keep things mostly at red dice range, with Admonition to get in close and slug it out. Squadrons are mostly for defense, but can go offensive against no/low squadron lists.

AFIIB -Ackbar, Lando, GunneryTeam, ECM 128
MC30C Scout - Gunnery Team, TRC 83
MC30C Scout - Admonition, Support Officer, Ordnance Experts, APT, Xi7 96
Jan Ors 19
YT-2400 16
4 X-Wings 52
Opening Salvo, Hyperspace Assault, Dangerous Territory
Total Points 394

Also, what the meta like currently? I'm guessing after Worlds people are pushing for more deployments and activations using 2-3 flotillas and lots of generic squadrons. If that's the case then I can see this fleet having some serious issues.

CPA Hell fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 3, 2017

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Baron Porkface posted:

Just started my first IA campaign, in Brushfire is it intended that the AT-ST is a prisoner within it's starting position?

No. It can rotate to go down the 2 tile "hallways".

See page 27 of the rules reference guide for examples on how it is allowed to move.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

CPA Hell posted:

I have 3-5 Armada games in the next week, and I'm want to try out some new wave 3 and 4 stuff I just got. I'm hoping to make it to a regional this year, so I'm really pushing myself to "get good". I have three different fleet concepts I'm working on. Here's the one I have the biggest doubts about and would love some critiques on it. It's supposed to be try to keep things mostly at red dice range, with Admonition to get in close and slug it out. Squadrons are mostly for defense, but can go offensive against no/low squadron lists.

AFIIB -Ackbar, Lando, GunneryTeam, ECM 128
MC30C Scout - Gunnery Team, TRC 83
MC30C Scout - Admonition, Support Officer, Ordnance Experts, APT, Xi7 96
Jan Ors 19
YT-2400 16
4 X-Wings 52
Opening Salvo, Hyperspace Assault, Dangerous Territory
Total Points 394

Also, what the meta like currently? I'm guessing after Worlds people are pushing for more deployments and activations using 2-3 flotillas and lots of generic squadrons. If that's the case then I can see this fleet having some serious issues.

A couple of comments about the MC30s. First, your gunnery team/TRC MC30 has to figure out what it wants to do. If you want to be lobbing red dice at long range, it should really be another AF2. If you want to brawl up close, then it should look more like your other MC30. With Ackbar, another AF2 is probably the better option.

For Admonition, if you had any commander other than Ackbar, I would tell you to switch to the Torpedo (blue dice) version. The blue dice are much better at close range, and it saves you a few points. Hopefully this is obvious, but when you get Admonition to close range, it will generally be better to double arc the target, and forgo Ackbar's bonus for that turn.

Lastly, only 3 activations a round is probably going to make things hard on you. But, the only way to remedy that would be to shoehorn a flotilla in there. And there isn't a good way to do that without either completely retooling the list, or dropping the YT-2400. If you have the new Rebel 2 squadrons, replacing one X-Wing with 2 z95s, and dropping the YT-2400 could work to get a flotilla in there. It would help you stall a bit in each round, and give you a way to help push squadrons around.

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

Orvin posted:

With Ackbar, another AF2 is probably the better option.

Lastly, only 3 activations a round is probably going to make things hard on you.

Good point about swapping for another AF2. It would also improve my ability to command squadrons. I felt like something was making a mess of this fleet, but couldn't put my finger on it. Thanks!

So, I was right about the activations. Thanks for confirming that too. I haven't played much this year and 3 was kinda average last time I played.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, had my first game of Imperial Assault.

That game is hard. We tried the first mission of the vanilla campaign and got our asses kicked.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well, had my first game of Imperial Assault.

That game is hard. We tried the first mission of the vanilla campaign and got our asses kicked.

The nice thing is that whoever loses generally gets a easier mission next time. Did you get characters knocked out or didn't beat the objectives?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

The nice thing is that whoever loses generally gets a easier mission next time. Did you get characters knocked out or didn't beat the objectives?

Got knocked out. That mission is redonkulous with the number of enemies. The door splitting the party in half didn't help.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The first mission can be kind of a crap shoot on who wins so don't worry about it too much. That being said though the mission balance is all over the place so you can expect to win one easily fairly soon. Also if you lost by everybody getting wounded then you weren't resting enough. Remember that you can double Rest and recover a ton of health just like you can double move or double attack.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Healing via rest makes it essentially impossible for the Imperials to ever actually down a hero. The rebels should only ever lose on time (certain obvious exceptions apply).

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
This is why the 3 player variant breaks. You get a free action every turn, and while you can't use it on the same hero every time, over 3 rounds you can each have travelled an extra turns movement. That's HUGE.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
What's a good way to use the new imperial squadrons? I'm new to armada and grabbed them because they looked cool.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So I just got my X-Wing starter kit yesterday and played a game last night. Man, what a well-designed, fun game! It would be a lot more fun with more than just 1 X-Wing and 2 TIEs, though. Would anyone recommend a couple of ships that are interesting or have abilities that change the game a little? I eventually intend to just buy all the ones I think look neat, but I'd like to start by getting 3-4 to play with that are cool/good.

My Armada starter set comes in today. :getin:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The X-Wang thread usually recommends for the first buys after a starter, if memory serves, Imperial Veterans, Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, and Heroes of the Resistance

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hencoe posted:

What's a good way to use the new imperial squadrons? I'm new to armada and grabbed them because they looked cool.

Lambdas and flotillas are amazing together. Command your squadrons from across the map! Defenders are good if you ever wished you had xwings, Whisper is a good 4die hero if you need her, and Decimators are the poo poo. You could probably run all decis like Rebels do all 2400s if you want. Less good v squads but murder ships.
Morna has been in every list for me.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
What is the purpose of a ship's squadron rating in Armada

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Speaking of recommended first buys, is there a thread-recommended starting list for Armada? I just got the base set last week, and I'm really enjoying it, but I'd love to kick it up a notch!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

NTRabbit posted:

The X-Wang thread usually recommends for the first buys after a starter, if memory serves, Imperial Veterans, Imperial Aces, Rebel Aces, and Heroes of the Resistance

Yeah, pretty much. I think Rebel Aces has gone down in overall value since B-wings are kind of low to mid tier right now. Also, if you didn't get it, you'll eventually want the new TFA core set (with Poe Dameron) because it has a revised damage deck that is better than the old one. They are both 100% legal to use, though.

But by all means, head over to the x-wangs thread it is good: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657860&pagenumber=760#lastpost

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Niemat posted:

Speaking of recommended first buys, is there a thread-recommended starting list for Armada? I just got the base set last week, and I'm really enjoying it, but I'd love to kick it up a notch!

Probably the best advice is to pick the faction that you enjoy the most, and focus on that faction first. Everything is viable in some sort of list, and there is a lot of good upgrade cards mixed in with the ships.

For Imperials, I would recommend a gladiator, Imperial Squadrons I, gozanti (Imperial Assault Carrier), and an Imperial Star Destroyer. That should get you started with the faction defining ships, and give you some exposure to different squadrons. You are eventually going to want to pick up the other squadron packs, but Imperial I is a good starting place.

For Rebels, another cr-90, either Home One or Liberty (you probably won't run both at the same time), MC30, Rebel Squadrons I, and a rebel transport. I think the rebels get a bit more out of the Scum and Villans squadron pack, as Jan Ors is quite possibly the best utility squadron in the game.

After you get some games in with your extra ships, start picking up more of what you enjoy. With the exception of the large base ships, having 2 or 3 copies of a ship will be nice to have at some point. I also left the newest wave of stuff off the list, as I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. From what I have read, the new stuff is all pretty good.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

Phi230 posted:

What is the purpose of a ship's squadron rating in Armada

Squadron Value is the amount of squadrons you can activate with a squadron command dial. Every ship can only activate a single squadron with a squadron command token though.

So if you have a reliable way of getting a squadron token, you can activate Squadron Value +1.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Val Helmethead posted:

Squadron Value is the amount of squadrons you can activate with a squadron command dial. Every ship can only activate a single squadron with a squadron command token though.

So if you have a reliable way of getting a squadron token, you can activate Squadron Value +1.

Wait what? Don't dials just = tokens?

So if I spend a squadron token on my ISD I can activate 4 squads

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Phi230 posted:

Wait what? Don't dials just = tokens?

So if I spend a squadron token on my ISD I can activate 4 squads

No. If you activate a dial you get the full effect right then and there. If you don't want to use the dial right now, you can bank a token instead. In a later turn you can use the token, but at a reduced effect. So if your ISD reveals the Squadron Command dial you can command four squadrons right now. But if you don't want to do that you can save a Squadren Command token instead. In a later turn you could cash in that token to command a single squadron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

In Armada, the command token effects are a weaker version of the command dial effect. That can be a helpful way to remember what the difference in effects are.

Also, while you can use a command dial, and a command token at the same time, they literally have to be at the same time on a turn. So if you are using your squadron command dial, you have to decide before you activate any squadrons if you want to use the token for +1 squadrons.

Concentrate fire can be a little confusing. You can only activate any concentrate fire effects on a single attack. So you can use the dial and token on the same attack to add a die (dial) then reroll any one die (token). But if you use the dial on your first attack, you can not use the token on the second, or the reverse.