Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

New Zealand can eat me posted:

How did it actually die? I always hear this from die hard TF2 heads but if you look at the player stats it's been nearly 50k average monthly for years

Was it before 2012?

Wait, are those guns that have different stats, that you have to pay for?!?

TF2 was not designed to be a competitive game. People found ways to make it so, but it usually involved limiting class/map selection and whitelisting what weapons you're allowed to use in matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

MM killed most community servers.

Their casual MM is a joke, with Comp MM even worse (6s with no whitelist or class limits? :downsrim:)

It will likely carry on in the same way that CS 1.6 / Source do but its for all purposes its dead. Hell UGC HL had to eliminate a division because there just arent enough teams to have 5 different tiers anymore.

And yes different stats, but no you didnt have to buy them. Some with great extra abilities like a gun that goes through people, has unlimited ammo, and drains 10% uber on hit.

Or another that got you to 100% extra move speed as scout but it obly had 4 shots and you couldnt double jump.

They were ridiculous.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Real issues here. I opened a case because I was drinking and have a bunch of disposable income. Got a $14 stat track ump skin. So what stat track skin(s) should I check out. Looking for five seven, m4a1-s, deag, or other you think are cool looking for ~5-10$. Need to make sure I keep steam/valve up and running.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Evil Daimyo M4A4 stattrak is 5-10 and looks pretty slick.

BS Elite Build AK looks cool as hell and is relatively cheap.

Edit:

You can look here.

https://csgostash.com/weapon/M4A1-S

The BS Flashback stattrak is like 10 and its my fave m4a1s skin.

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 3, 2017

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
You can use the advanced search on the market to look for a specific weapon, tag StatTrak and choose the weapon type and click on the price to sort by cheapest options up.

Cheapest M4A1 is probably a Basilisk which is around six something in StatTrak, cheapest deagle is Bronze Deco and there are a lot of affordable 5-7 skins but imo they mostly look kinda lame. Still if you're on a budget you gotta decide if you want cool looks or a kill counter on your guns.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

OxySnake posted:

Evil Daimyo M4A4 stattrak is 5-10 and looks pretty slick.

BS Elite Build AK looks cool as hell and is relatively cheap.

Edit:

You can look here.

https://csgostash.com/weapon/M4A1-S

The BS Flashback stattrak is like 10 and its my fave m4a1s skin.

agreed that the flashback is sick but it will be a couple bucks cheaper if you wait for more cases to come out

i have a field tested m4a4 evil damiyo and a high float (.97?) battle scarred elite build AK that i bought for $5 total from opskins

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I've been rocking the m4a1s cyrex since I unboxed it and it's cool, but I really like the m4a1s basilisk- it's super cheap but has a very good and very subtle design as far as cs skins go

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

sterster posted:

Real issues here. I opened a case because I was drinking and have a bunch of disposable income. Got a $14 stat track ump skin. So what stat track skin(s) should I check out. Looking for five seven, m4a1-s, deag, or other you think are cool looking for ~5-10$. Need to make sure I keep steam/valve up and running.

Sell it so that you can spend even more on fantasy pick-em stickers for the next major. I have a feeling these ones are gonna be cool.

Then you can buy the guns you want, and use your winning stickers to make them pretty

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Over a year and a half and I still have not gotten a single m4a1 skin :(

surc
Aug 17, 2004

It's cool that they did a bunch of infrastructure changes to make the mm experience better, but those are different fixes then changing the max ping players could set, which was what you were implying was not a simple fix.

It's important to distinguish between a specific piece of functionality, and the entire aspect of an application that the functionality is a part of. They did a lot of fixes to improve the overall connectivity and experience of the Matchmaking feature, but the "minimum-maximum" ping should have been, and likely was, changed by them changing a value.
If there was a ticket titled "Allow lower minimum values for MM max ping selector" that had acceptance criteria about upgrading server hardware, that would be a bad ticket.

I also want to clarify that I very much do not feel that valve is doing nothing, they have made a huge number of improvements. There are still a lot of big issues to be addressed though, and it seems like they're focusing more resources elsewhere, which is frustrating as a user.

surc fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 3, 2017

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I also have to agree that MM is bad wrt cheating/64tick and it was even worse that it went down for a long time and nobody seemed to give a poo poo. but everyone knows that. i love my dead gay game

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
At work, our IT department sends a mass communication to the whole firm if five people in one office floor are having issues with respect to internet.

Because if you make money from it, or need it the people so you can produce money from them, you let them know when shits fucky.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Audax posted:

shits fucky.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

From what I've heard about Valve's internal structuring, they have very loose "roles" that seem to change on a whim, so I wonder if it's as simple as no one taking responsibility for informing the community.

In which case, hire a goddamn community manager.

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
artist's rendition of valve's server structure

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So I ended up selling the Ump for 16.10 which got me 14$. With that I got the m4a1 ST FlashBack, ST mp7 Dart, St urban Hazard mp9. I had some money from selling cases and other drops and also picked up ST Five Seven cooper galaxy. I'm happy with these things. Now it's time to get some kills on em.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

I had the opposite.

I sold some skins and got a ST BS M4A1 Flashback.

But after using it I like the A4/my Evil Daimyo better.

Guess im gonna have to eat the 2 dollar loss and look for some new stickers to put on my guns.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i love the m4a4 right now but i will probably like the m4a1 again soon. does anyone else change their minds on this big issue

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i switch usp and p2k every 6 weeks and i always feel like ive revolutionized my game afterwards

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Also news is Valve just launched the 1st VAC wave of 2017.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Can you slap stat tracks on anything? The dota stat tracking version you put little gems that track what you want into any item you want and you can pull them out and put them in at will. Well, with a $1.99 5 charge tool let's not get crazy.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

OxySnake posted:

only 2 people recently banned in my played with list... and those were in DM. I'm just bad. :eng99:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Can you slap stat tracks on anything? The dota stat tracking version you put little gems that track what you want into any item you want and you can pull them out and put them in at will. Well, with a $1.99 5 charge tool let's not get crazy.

i think like 30% of all skins are offered in stat trak, and they cost way more, usually 1.5-4x

surc
Aug 17, 2004

No, but you can pay $1.99 toget a 1-time-use kit to transfer the tracked kills between one stattrak skin and another you have also bought!!!!

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

OxySnake posted:

Where can I see if people I played against got banned?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

fyallm posted:

Where can I see if people I played against got banned?

Im guessing shift tab -> players -> recently played with

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

OxySnake posted:

Im guessing shift tab -> players -> recently played with

Chrome also has a browser addon

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ban-checker-for-steam/canbadmphamemnmdfngmcabnjmjgaiki?hl=en

Then just go to friends, recently played with.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Kwilty posted:

Chrome also has a browser addon

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ban-checker-for-steam/canbadmphamemnmdfngmcabnjmjgaiki?hl=en

Then just go to friends, recently played with.

Thanks for this!

2 people I played against last week are now banned.

It use to tell you if someone you reported got banned, did they stop doing that?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

^I think that's explicitly for reports who get convicted via overwatch?

Thanks for reminding me about that plugin. I always uninstall it right after I check, not a big fan of trusting a random plugin off the chrome web store with Write access to Steam and its API.

Just right click the icon > remove from chrome when you're done with it.

Mildly :tinfoil:, but if your inventory is worth anything at all (even sentimentally), there's more than enough history of browser extensions/plugins going sour to justify not keeping it around any longer than you need it.

I had 3 from today's wave, and 2 from 12 days ago??? Too bad it was just the cheap stuff.

surc posted:

but the "minimum-maximum" ping should have been, and likely was, changed by them changing a value.

It wasn't, and that they shipped it alongside a "settle for a good enough ping in a neighboring region with a UI warning" feature means that they weren't immediately sure why it didn't work. They hosed up so bad that, after a month of more-unreliable-than-usual matchmaking, they finally figured it out and implemented net_client_steamdatagram_ping_measurement_direct_only, which is a setting that gets pushed as Valve enables/disables SDN at a regional level on a day-to-day basis during the ongoing opt-in test. It looks like they did not fully weigh the consequences of relying on SDN for MM latency calculation while they're still constantly enabling and disabling it all over the place.

It's not clear wether the two components are intended to be separate or not, but based on the amount of grief this caused people trying to use matchmaking (remember that huge uptick in rubberbanding/latency issues in MM?), I would wager that fixing this took precedence over putting out the 2nd operation of 2016, as all the people coming back specifically for the op would've been an incredible mess. Hopefully they're all just laughing off a gnarly lesson learned, and nobody lost their jobs. I wonder how many % their yearly bonus decreased by for not hitting that second mile stone

:gonk:

Just to be clear, outside of the statistical few that live physically close to datacenter or have/pay for a route with very few hops (i.e. your residential ISP has a commercial branch that hosts Steam CDNs), the only way a majority of the playerbase will ever see <25ms latency is via SDN. You've always been able to force lower acceptable values than the UI was configured to allow, the key difference being that now it will still find you a game and inform you what the higher latency is, instead of immediately failing due to lack of acceptable servers. There is a significant difference in difficulty between one user connecting to one server with low latency, and finding an available server that 10 similarly-matched users can connect to with low latency.

Please do not make things up about help desk tickets or start lecturing about project scope in the CS:GO thread because you found a plaintext .cfg string where they changed the limit of a UI slider on the client. We can all use SteamDB. Perhaps save these kinds of assumptions for the imp zone where it's funny to pretend to know things?

I was humoring you when I explained the patch notes, as we also have a lot of goons who play CS and are also training for a career in IT, but after your follow up responses I can only assume this is some sort of gimmick given the hyperbole used. Please do not apologize later and claim you did not have your coffee yet.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
can u take this to reddit

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Yeah take the defending of valve and skin chat to reddit, we don't WANT it here.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Please do not make things up about help desk tickets or start lecturing about project scope in the CS:GO thread because you found a plaintext .cfg string where they changed the limit of a UI slider on the client. We can all use SteamDB. Perhaps save these kinds of assumptions for the imp zone where it's funny to pretend to know things?

I was humoring you when I explained the patch notes, as we also have a lot of goons who play CS and are also training for a career in IT, but after your follow up responses I can only assume this is some sort of gimmick given the hyperbole used. Please do not apologize later and claim you did not have your coffee yet.

I'm not making things up about help desk ticket. I'm a QA tester, and I based my comments off of my experience with how software companies manage development. I mainly said all of it to give you an out if you wanted to change stances though, since my point was that your list literally had "decrease MM max ping" as a thing, and you then defended "decreasing MM max ping" as complex by listing a whole lot of improvements that were not decreasing the selectable MM max ping.

I don't really know why you seem to feel the need to take the first half of your post, which is reasonable explanation of your disagreement about software development and what went into valve making this change, and tack this on to the end of it, but acting like a smug rear end in a top hat in response to everybody you disagree with is not a particularly good way to be.

surc fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 5, 2017

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
I think I've thoroughly confused myself after using CS at a selection of Internet cafes. My sens is usually .67 and DPI 1600 for a ~15 inch 360. Will this change with FOV or aspect ratio? For some reason I'm having trouble getting this to match up when I switch computers. It seems like it should be fine?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
much like ships in the night, i dont care about any of this poo poo

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Oh this? I'm just polishing my silver elite badge :smug:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Oh this? I'm just polishing my silver elite badge :smug:

grats my dude

i'll have you know i turned my sensitivity up by about 50% since i told you to lower yours and im a stronger gamer now

keep playing and enjoying this game

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
my name is swift and I haven't touched my sens for six months, i'm hoping to go another six!!

hmu if anyone needs a sponsor to help them from changing their sens after a catastrophic and traumatizing game of bottom fragging

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
raise your sensitivity

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
don't change your sensitivity just do tai chi aim practice.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/28/keeping-your-eye-on-the-ball/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://clips.twitch.tv/steel_tv/HelplessPigeonKappaClaus