Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

$30/month for a subscription for Adobe Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GreenNight posted:

$30/month for a subscription for Adobe Pro.

Do the newer versions do any better at recreating weird formatting and tables than the old desktop versions of Acrobat Pro do? Anything that isn't just straight paragraphs of text is typically useless after conversion for me.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

wa27 posted:

"How do I edit a PDF?"
I think the president of where I used to work used to email your CEO because I would constantly get:

"How do I make this PDF so no one can change it."

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

Do the newer versions do any better at recreating weird formatting and tables than the old desktop versions of Acrobat Pro do? Anything that isn't just straight paragraphs of text is typically useless after conversion for me.
Maybe!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

wa27 posted:

Beats me. I don't use the software.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's probably still terrible at all those things, but at least you can embed 3D models into your files

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/displaying-3d-models-pdfs.html

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Is this the thread where I post funny stories about working in software support (I do proprietary software support: I support dozens of websites for hundreds of different customers)? Such as getting emails that are declarative statements instead of requests for help:
Subject line of: "I am locked out of my account" with the body of the email blank.
Subject line of: "It doesnt work" with the body of the email blank.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is this the thread where I post funny stories about working in software support (I do proprietary software support: I support dozens of websites for hundreds of different customers)? Such as getting emails that are declarative statements instead of requests for help:
Subject line of: "I am locked out of my account" with the body of the email blank.
Subject line of: "It doesnt work" with the body of the email blank.

Welcome, borther. I too get help requests entirely in the subject with the body left blank. Sometimes they're so long that they break tables in our lovely web-based ticketing system.

Then there's the one user who will send three or four in a row which are real-time streams of her vacuous consciousness.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Welcome, borther. I too get help requests entirely in the subject with the body left blank. Sometimes they're so long that they break tables in our lovely web-based ticketing system.

Then there's the one user who will send three or four in a row which are real-time streams of her vacuous consciousness.
Oh man I am glad I found this thread. I have to help external people who only use the software in passing at the behest of our customers, and get some egregious stuff. Thankfully my ticketing system isnt terribad but it has its days.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

spiny posted:

This is why I said "we can't do this with what we have, outsource it". I don't want to upset management by telling them an idea is foolish, but I'll let them get a quote from a proper event management company and realise that it can't be done 'on the cheap as a favour'
"Why can't you just be a team player and turn on your cell phone's hot spot? We'll provide a ladder in the middle for you to stand on."

wa27 posted:

I don't know about DC, but 10 and 11 don't. I get this question at my job a lot too. Though the worst is when I give people the big warning speil, and they decide to go through with it anyway and give me the document and it's like a page of plain Times New Roman text so of course it works resonably well. Then I just look like an rear end in a top hat who didn't want to do their job.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

wa27 posted:

Last night, text from CEO:

"How do I edit a PDF?"
--"You can't, really. Try to find the Word file. Or if there's small edits, I can do that for you"
"It says I can convert it to Word, how do I do that?"
--"There are services that do that, but it won't be a pretty end result"

10 minutes later, I get the PDF in an email with the message "Convert this to Word, I really need this done". PDF is 40 pages long with all sorts of tables, diagrams, and form fields. My old-rear end version of Acrobat spits out the worst Word file you've ever seen (maybe newer versions would handle that better, admittedly).

I go through this same conversation about every six months, whenever the CEO finds an old document she wants to use again. How hard is it for people to just keep their source files?

I'm a graphics designer and I get poo poo like this all the time. Give her the hosed up Word doc and shrug your shoulders when she complains, then hand over a list of expensive conversion services to dissuade her.

Not that that ever works, either, what she's really telling you to do is remake the entire .doc file from loving scratch.

Jaco
Aug 14, 2005

wa27 posted:

Do the newer versions do any better at recreating weird formatting and tables than the old desktop versions of Acrobat Pro do?

Depends on the authoring software and what they've actually done, but mostly "no". I often found it easier to just recreate the document.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

rndmnmbr posted:

Not that that ever works, either, what she's really telling you to do is remake the entire .doc file from loving scratch.

Eventually you get tired of fighting it and succumb.

I once took an entire month off of work to re-make some bullshit form for a c-level who demanded "IT BE DONE NOW!!!" by me.
I explained very carefully that I am by no means a pro, or even any good at it. But if that's what they want to pay me to do, then I will try.
I did literally nothing else at work but dick around saying I was "learning" or "training."

I never actually did the form. And when pressed, I said I couldn't figure it out.
I was half the IT department, and as far as she knew her bullshit form put off our major projects for 4 weeks. What was she gonna do? Fire me? lol.
Moreover, how was she going to explain to the rest of the c-suite that it cost the company $3000 in man hours and put an entire department behind by a whole month just for one stupid form (and a tantrum).

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

I had an interesting Computer As gently caress day. The computer that controls the HVAC system across our school district is starting to poo poo itself. I am fairly certain that sentence alone is already triggering some of you. The network card is slowly starting to die, and is dropping packets juuuuust often enough that the system effectively stopped working. So today we set off on a quest to find a network card. Every old, lovely network card we could find was still too new and wouldn't fit in the slot. One of the office staff at the school the computer was located just happened to have an old lovely family computer that he was trying to sneak in with our surplus, and by pure coincidence had a network card that we promptly cannibalized into the HVAC system and now things are humming along again until that timebomb goes off again. Thankfully though, because it happened while school was in session and during a time when it is unusually cold for our area, enough people are uncomfortable and bitching about it enough that the inevitable problem child has finally reached up the grapevine and the gears are turning to scrounge up the money to replace that system.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Myrmidongs posted:

Thankfully though, because it happened while school was in session and during a time when it is unusually cold for our area, enough people are uncomfortable and bitching about it enough that the inevitable problem child has finally reached up the grapevine and the gears are turning to scrounge up the money to replace that system. chew out IT for not keeping things running with no budget - after all, it's their job!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Myrmidongs posted:

I had an interesting Computer As gently caress day. The computer that controls the HVAC system across our school district is starting to poo poo itself. I am fairly certain that sentence alone is already triggering some of you. The network card is slowly starting to die, and is dropping packets juuuuust often enough that the system effectively stopped working. So today we set off on a quest to find a network card. Every old, lovely network card we could find was still too new and wouldn't fit in the slot. One of the office staff at the school the computer was located just happened to have an old lovely family computer that he was trying to sneak in with our surplus, and by pure coincidence had a network card that we promptly cannibalized into the HVAC system and now things are humming along again until that timebomb goes off again. Thankfully though, because it happened while school was in session and during a time when it is unusually cold for our area, enough people are uncomfortable and bitching about it enough that the inevitable problem child has finally reached up the grapevine and the gears are turning to scrounge up the money to replace that system.

It works now, so plans to replace it will be forgotten in a week.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Myrmidongs posted:

The computer that controls the HVAC system across our school district is starting to poo poo itself. I am fairly certain that sentence alone is already triggering some of you.

1. HVAC
2. School District
3, Single old computer controlling geographically disconnected systems (which are not guaranteed to be standardized or even similar)

Yep, triggered as gently caress

RFC2324 posted:

It works now, so plans to replace it will be forgotten in a week.

He's right. You know what you have to do.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Eventually you get tired of fighting it and succumb.

I once took an entire month off of work to re-make some bullshit form for a c-level who demanded "IT BE DONE NOW!!!" by me.
I explained very carefully that I am by no means a pro, or even any good at it. But if that's what they want to pay me to do, then I will try.
I did literally nothing else at work but dick around saying I was "learning" or "training."

I never actually did the form. And when pressed, I said I couldn't figure it out.
I was half the IT department, and as far as she knew her bullshit form put off our major projects for 4 weeks. What was she gonna do? Fire me? lol.
Moreover, how was she going to explain to the rest of the c-suite that it cost the company $3000 in man hours and put an entire department behind by a whole month just for one stupid form (and a tantrum).

You made 36k? You weren't getting paid enough to dick around with that.Or maybe you were, I mean just pay someone $20,000 to make it from looking at the file. Data Entry. You were getting paid the wrong amount of that.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Myrmidongs posted:

I regret to inform you that replacement network cards that fit in that slot, whether it's PCI or ISA, are still widely available, and you're never going to get rid of that device on account of the network loving up.

:v:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

fishmech posted:

I regret to inform you that replacement network cards that fit in that slot, whether it's PCI or ISA, are still widely available, and you're never going to get rid of that device on account of the network loving up.

:v:

It might be a form factor thing. Some of those old cases were shaped weird as hell.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

wa27 posted:

The trick is to print it to a new pdf and then convert that back to word

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

if you don't have a couple USB network adapters kicking around the office, you aren't armed for diagnosing and solving problems.

crayon85
Dec 25, 2013

Nerdrock posted:

if you don't have a couple USB network adapters kicking around the office, you aren't armed for diagnosing and solving problems.

It's possible that that computer doesn't have USB ports, or if it does they're some horrific legacy ones and good luck getting the drivers.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yesterday was my first work day after holidays and the year is off to a wonderful start.

We have a small-ish client who were running SBS 2011. A around the start of 2016 they bought new hardware and things were "migrated" to 2012 R2.

They had power outage in the evening of 3. Jan. Yesterday morning they call, and not-so-bright coworker picks up the phone, so I'm getting second-hand info. Email is not working. I check that Exchange VM is started, it is, and is working normally, accepting and sending emails. I have some trouble logging into OWA, takes ages. Outlooks are connected but not syncing. Then coworker tells me "Oh, and by the way, their $awful_application is also not working".

"By the way" indeed, retard.

(their $awful_app is in shared folders, you map it as a drive and run exe from there. It is on their old SBS 2011)

Tried logging into old SBS, nope. In the meantime I'm looking into problems with exchange (and clock being wrong on computers, thank you client for calling and reporting each problem separately). PDC Emulator cannot be contacted. Domain Naming Master cannot be contacted. Thanks, coworkers who migrated domain services.

So I sit in a car and drive on site to see what I can do about non-booting SBS. I get there, and it's throwing blue screens. gently caress it, I'm just gonna restore from backup. For a moment I consider seizing those two FSMO roles and doing clean install of this server, then restore $awful_app from backup, but it was on a system partition, and it has explicitely defined per-user permissions on many of its shared folders, that I say, once again, gently caress it, restoring from backup.

I boot up from DVD, go to restore, fiddle with RAID controller driver, and restore starts searching backup disk for images. And searches, and searches... wbadmin list versions also takes forever. So I start restore from command prompt, thankfully wbadmin versions all follow same naming schema, so it didn't take me long to find out what it was.

Few hours later restore completes, everything works, I restart 2012 R2 domain controller, exchange starts working normally, I move over remaining FSMO roles.

There was a good side to this incident, the client is a forklift repair company (part of a large multinational company) and I stayed after their work hours with few of their employees, and as any decent repair shop, they are stocked with beer.

e: oh, right, before I went on site, I told coworker who accepted this call to reinstall ms office at another client, clean up, delete profile and recreate it. He calls while I was on site, he is unable to add email account. I give him pointers and get back to work, he doesn't call anymore.

While I was leaving that client calls me and says "Hi, $coworker said that you will finish setting this up when you get back!"

That said, :yotj: may be on its way soon!

The Claptain fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jan 5, 2017

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
so looks like a duct has collapsed or something like that, as 3 fibres going to a building have all failed.

luckily we have more fibres using a different route still working so I've bought my network back online fairly easily.

we share data cabs with another network but the reason there is so many fibres is that it's 'secure' so we aren't allowed to share...

I emailed the helpdesk for the other network and said look I know it's my responsibility to get the fibre replaced and I'm working on it but it wont be fast... if you want you can use some spare capacity on my fibre

admittedly I offered under the assumption they would just say 'lol no, not secure, let the users suffer'

I nearly fell out my chair when they said sure go for it... at least everything is back online :D

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

crayon85 posted:

It's possible that that computer doesn't have USB ports, or if it does they're some horrific legacy ones and good luck getting the drivers.

Good luck finding USB drivers for Windows 3.1

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

GreenNight posted:

AFAIR the first Windows to support USB was Win98 SE

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Crowley posted:

AFAIR the first Windows to support USB was Win98 SE

Pretty sure that was USB Plug and Play, the first computer my family had ran Win95 and we upgraded to 98SE. It came with USB ports, not sure we used them until much later, like when I added more RAM and put windows 2000 on it to play Diablo II. Pentium 166Mhz with 32MB of RAM and 2GB HDD was the little computer that could.

Oracle says USB support is on the windows 95CD http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19085-01/pci1.card/805-6058-11/z40001753212/index.html
Hope you didn't get the floppy version. Not sure on 3.1.

Actually wouldn't it have to be 3.11, I thought 3.1 didn't support networks. It kind of predates me though.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 5, 2017

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

pixaal posted:

Pretty sure that was USB Plug and Play, the first computer my family had ran Win95 and we upgraded to 98SE.

Googling makes me believe you're right.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
thats all well and good, but what USB network cards/dongles have drivers for anything below vista these days ?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

GreenNight posted:

Universal serial what now?

odiv posted:

I think the president of where I used to work used to email your CEO because I would constantly get:

"How do I make this PDF so no one can change it."
See I end up getting the opposite and ask why the gently caress they want a PDF you can actually edit, time ago we had someone who got setup with Adobe Document Cloud to make some forms with text entry fields but hell if I know anything about it.

EDIT: Actual ticket/support
Someone just rushed over to me with management's backing to stop a mis-delivery of a message that went out and wasn't meant for someone, sorry hombre it doesn't work that way.
You either recall it and hope for the best, or get to explaining.

Super Slash fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 5, 2017

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Super Slash posted:

You either recall it and hope for the best, or get to explaining.

All that recall-notice does is make people read the mail even more.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

pixaal posted:

Pretty sure that was USB Plug and Play, the first computer my family had ran Win95 and we upgraded to 98SE. It came with USB ports, not sure we used them until much later, like when I added more RAM and put windows 2000 on it to play Diablo II. Pentium 166Mhz with 32MB of RAM and 2GB HDD was the little computer that could.

Oracle says USB support is on the windows 95CD http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19085-01/pci1.card/805-6058-11/z40001753212/index.html
Hope you didn't get the floppy version. Not sure on 3.1.

Actually wouldn't it have to be 3.11, I thought 3.1 didn't support networks. It kind of predates me though.

It was Windows 95's "OSR2" release that brought in the first USB support from Microsoft - remember that USB wasn't released to the public until Spring 1996. Users with the earlier plain release of Windows 95 or the intermediate OSR1 release could get USB support from third party drivers or a patch you could order from Microsoft, and was later available from Microsoft online.

That said, Windows 3.1 can use USB, but it goes through various third party and hobbyist drivers (there's also a USB stack for plain old DOS, so you can even use USB there). Trying to get the additional drivers for things beyond mass storage, keyboards and mice though, that's the real challenge!

Also, Windows 3.1 did support networks, in that Microsoft had a networking stack available to plug drivers into, since there'd been networking stuff in DOS dating back to the 3.x versions or so. Windows for Workgroups' 3.1 and 3.11 big thing was that it supported file and printer sharing over SMB, much like Windows still uses today - the non-For Workgroups 3.1 and 3.11 couldn't do this without third party software.

Also if you're wondering what the difference between 3.1 and 3.11 is:
For regular Windows, 3.11 was just a bugfix patch release of 3.1 without any new features. All copies of 3.1 sold after fall 1993 were the 3.11 version.
For Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, 3.11 added 32 bit file and network access functionality which sped up access speeds. They also improved the disk caching system, and dropped support for CPUs older than the 386.

This all means that 3.11 for Workgroups is the 3.x version of Windows you'd want to run now if you had to run a 3.x windows.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

fishmech posted:

It was Windows 95's "OSR2" release that brought in the first USB support from Microsoft - remember that USB wasn't released to the public until Spring 1996. Users with the earlier plain release of Windows 95 or the intermediate OSR1 release could get USB support from third party drivers or a patch you could order from Microsoft, and was later available from Microsoft online.

That said, Windows 3.1 can use USB, but it goes through various third party and hobbyist drivers (there's also a USB stack for plain old DOS, so you can even use USB there). Trying to get the additional drivers for things beyond mass storage, keyboards and mice though, that's the real challenge!

Also, Windows 3.1 did support networks, in that Microsoft had a networking stack available to plug drivers into, since there'd been networking stuff in DOS dating back to the 3.x versions or so. Windows for Workgroups' 3.1 and 3.11 big thing was that it supported file and printer sharing over SMB, much like Windows still uses today - the non-For Workgroups 3.1 and 3.11 couldn't do this without third party software.

Also if you're wondering what the difference between 3.1 and 3.11 is:
For regular Windows, 3.11 was just a bugfix patch release of 3.1 without any new features. All copies of 3.1 sold after fall 1993 were the 3.11 version.
For Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, 3.11 added 32 bit file and network access functionality which sped up access speeds. They also improved the disk caching system, and dropped support for CPUs older than the 386.

This all means that 3.11 for Workgroups is the 3.x version of Windows you'd want to run now if you had to run a 3.x windows.

I have a DOSBox install of 3.11WfW on my phone so I can freak people out by launching Photoshop on it. It's only Photoshop 3.0, but it works just fine.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A vendor needs to swap out some possibly faulty hardware in one of their appliances at a client site and assure us it won't cause any downtime because it's HA. I'm not point on this on our side but I'm following along in case I'm needed. The day of the swap comes around and two techs show up, one from the vendor and one from Dell (because cause it's OEM Dell hardware) and both are confused as to why the other is there. Eventually they get that poo poo sorted out and start the swap...and almost immediately bring the entire system down.

:allears: <- me when vendors say that swapping out hardware won't cause downtime and the point person on the project believes them. Thankfully nobody was working on the system at the time of the "unexpected" outage.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

wa27 posted:

Last night, text from CEO:

"How do I edit a PDF?"
--"You can't, really. Try to find the Word file. Or if there's small edits, I can do that for you"
"It says I can convert it to Word, how do I do that?"
--"There are services that do that, but it won't be a pretty end result"

10 minutes later, I get the PDF in an email with the message "Convert this to Word, I really need this done". PDF is 40 pages long with all sorts of tables, diagrams, and form fields. My old-rear end version of Acrobat spits out the worst Word file you've ever seen (maybe newer versions would handle that better, admittedly).

I go through this same conversation about every six months, whenever the CEO finds an old document she wants to use again. How hard is it for people to just keep their source files?

Just buy an Acrobat license at that point.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
My current gig I do provisioning/support for fibre to the home connections.

Get a call from a field tech out on a repair job, reporting that when he runs a speed test the customer's IPTV starts to pixelate, and the speeds are weird, 16Mbit down, and 80Mbit up. I see the client upgrade from 15/1 to 150/150 yesterday so I'm thinking the QoS is messed up.
Log into one of our routers; QoS is good. Check the provisioning between the ONT in the home and OLT in the central office, bandwidth rates are set properly, well above the QoS.
Then I see the setting on the LAN port on the ONT is set at 100 Base-T (Half Duplex) ask the tech to check the cable "yeah, I found the problem..."
"using a 2-pair cable?"
"No, it's using 3, and the blue pair is being used for the VOIP"

someone going to get yelled at for that lovely initial setup...

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The physical box hosting our intranet site is on is dying, so now I get to migrate a SharePoint 3.0 site to SharePoint Online :whitewater:

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro

The Claptain posted:

"Oh, and by the way, their $awful_application is also not working".
In my 11+ years of solving problems for a living, it has been my experience that "by the way" are the three absolute worst words that you can ever hear a user and/or customer say.

It will absolutely always be a monumental clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

anthonypants posted:

The physical box hosting our intranet site is on is dying, so now I get to migrate a SharePoint 3.0 site to SharePoint Online :whitewater:

On the other hand, you don't have to set up a SharePoint server on-premise, which is in fact a circle of hell.

• Locked thread