Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

a kitten posted:

Someone please cordon off Bike Discussion with some safety tape or something.

Nah, just put a line of paint along the gutter. That’ll do.

e: This is a bad snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
This thread is now riding on the sidewalk against traffic.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

hey, i dont care what side you were on before, but now, i know at least I know at worst i have someone to work across the aisle with and at best I got a dinner party invitee

Whats crazy is that video is 6.5 years old, which really shows you how far ahead the brits are when it comes to fuckbag hipsterism. I mean at this point they're probably riding bikes with no chains, an unfixie if you will.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Here's some more bridge/truck fun: http://www.ksat.com/traffic/eb-i-10-lower-level-closed-following-18-wheeler-accident

Apparently the solution is huge signs that just happen to function as barriers. How do these trucks not have a lockout for the piston if the truck is in drive?

Pick your nose and wipe it on the dash and whoops!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

KoRMaK posted:

Breed this guy, I want house gators.

You want a tegu! :eng101:

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

the yeti posted:

You want a tegu! :eng101:

You really do.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Dienes posted:

You really do.

Its like Jabbas housecat!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I was still just drunk enough to keep the slap fight going but goddam this disarmed me.

KoRMaK posted:

it's like a fixie rider ran over your dog/cat/mom/pet rat/heteronormative roles/dad/grandma/grandpa/daughter/ferret/hamster/turantula/klurf

One of those dweebs hosed my ex-girlfriend then tried to talk poo poo to me about it and my bike. My bike is a 10 speed Schwin tourer built in Greensborough Mississippi. I was built in Gulfport Mississippi. I didn't take it very well and the safety light on his messenger bag did not help him.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Dillbag posted:

Whats crazy is that video is 6.5 years old, which really shows you how far ahead the brits are when it comes to fuckbag hipsterism. I mean at this point they're probably riding bikes with no chains, an unfixie if you will.

Some SF startup already beat them to that, can't look it up now cause I'm on a phone but it's basically an inertia bike.

It's about as lovely and unsafe as it sounds.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
How about we get this bike poo poo out of the way

1. of course you can draft on a fixed gear. You just have to spin your legs with the pedals which is much different from actually generating power to move forward. Does limit how fast you can go but you are still drafting. Commom gearing will let you get up to nearly 30mph while still being able to turn the pedals while you really start to notice a draft below 20.

2. fixed gear bikes are meant to be raced around a velodrome where lots of riders are going very fast very close to each other. The lack of brakes is actually a safety thing on the track. However, a lot of dipshits ride them around on the street. The singlespeed/fixed thing actually got popular a really long time ago so a lot of the bikes you can buy do actually comes with brakes, it's only the very specific race bikes that do not. This does not stop idiots from removing them to ride around on the street with.

3. They are actually useful to ride because they are cheap and simple, and you can often set them up to coast by turning the wheel/hub the other way so it is a regular siglee speed.. Racers like to ride them because it is supposed to help create a smoother and more efficient pedal stroke.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 5, 2017

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

How do these trucks not have a lockout for the piston if the truck is in drive?

They need to drive forward to dump the entire load. You can't just drop it all in one spot.
Also, laying driveways and such.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k88gKuOIDOA

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

But how does a fixed gear bike draft, tho?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

It's been a while since I played Spintires.

Also, how the hell did this become fixie chat?

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Jan 5, 2017

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Domestic Amuse posted:

It's been a while since I played Spintires.

Also, how the hell did this become fixie chat?

Fixies cant draft because apparently they dont follow the rules of aerodynamics.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JB50 posted:

Fixies cant draft because apparently they dont follow the rules of aerodynamics.

http://i.imgur.com/sInGs8B.mp4

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That very nearly made the derail worth it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He should have done it with no hands for maximum show boating. Also because he would fall over like a jackass.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
How's he gonna put his feet back on the flail pedals without breakin something?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
very carefully....

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

GenericOverusedName posted:

How's he gonna put his feet back on the flail pedals without breakin something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmibwafGXc

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

spankmeister posted:

Fixies are dumb as hell and fixie culture is even worse.

fixies are fun as hell and give your legs a great workout.
but if you ride a fixie without brakes outside of a track, you're an insufferable idiot.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmibwafGXc&t=54s

I have to admit, that's pretty slick. I wonder how long it took that guy to go from "that's dumb/dangerous" level to "holy poo poo pisss" level.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

:popeye:

Did he use his feet as brakes on the back wheel? That's super cool.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I see bicyclists tailgating cars and heavy vehicles all the time. Fixie brake or not, they're not going to out-brake a car so so I'm looking forward to seeing more of this:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

My favorite part of bicyclists is how they're allowed to dent cars or break mirrors by being retarded but are allowed to cycle away as if it's no big deal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

They're not any more entitled to doing that than car users, and often do it at the cost of physical injury so maybe shut your whore mouth.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
gently caress bikes and gently caress you. Ya'll as bad as vegans

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Johnny Aztec posted:

gently caress bikes and gently caress you. Ya'll as bad as vegans

:chloe:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Apparently the solution is huge signs that just happen to function as barriers. How do these trucks not have a lockout for the piston if the truck is in drive?

You need to be pulling forward as you raise the bed to dump a load. Watch asphalt trucks pouring asphalt into a paver.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Phanatic posted:

You need to be pulling forward as you raise the bed to dump a load.

You might want to see a doctor about that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've always liked this video extra because beside the silly awesome bike trick, it puts into perspective how and why scooter entourages cause accidents during bike races.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I see bicyclists tailgating cars and heavy vehicles all the time. Fixie brake or not, they're not going to out-brake a car so so I'm looking forward to seeing more of this:

:gizz:

And I'm spent.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

evil_bunnY posted:

They're not any more entitled to doing that than car users, and often do it at the cost of physical injury so maybe shut your whore mouth.

Then maybe they should grow up and drive a car like an adult?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

The loving scooter driver with the camera :lol:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Like an adult!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RIP thread: killed by bike.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Phanatic posted:

You need to be pulling forward as you raise the bed to dump a load. Watch asphalt trucks pouring asphalt into a paver.

Yeah I'd forgotten about that bit, but a speed limiter or a separate gear? If you're going over 5 mph and trying to put the bed up to dump, it fails to respond and also you're fired. Asphalt trucks here use hot mix and belly dump trailers, so they actually run over the load pulling away before the paving machine gets there.

I chuckled at the "this is my only accident in 5 years!" from the driver. The sign saved the bridge though, so I think we have our solution to the underpass quandary.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Dienes posted:

Our lab also had a second rule: 1 person per 3 feet of snake you were dealing with. I mention this because it turns out if you ignore the first rule, you drat well better follow the second. 50 pounds of hungry muscle can gently caress you up right quick.

Hint: Every time you see a news report about somebody getting hosed up by a big snake, they were ignoring this rule.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Benagain posted:

Hint: Every time you see a news report about somebody getting hosed up by a big snake, they were ignoring this rule.
Well, apart from the rare exception where a snake is being held by lots of people but a loving idiot just happens to wander by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HBYXnubA2I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That python is my spirit animal