Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

its not true. its not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

its not true. its not

I was just playing dogema again and this thread made me wish mgs5 let you write little bios for your soldiers and edit their appearances and share them online like pawns

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

V's plot is good, the linguistic hegemony stuff is cool, kaz and ocelot own and its another interesting take on the 'you are playing a game' thing kojima has been doing since 2. best mgs

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

(after meditating for ten years on being more xen and not trying to start flamewars on internet forums) Well, your entitled to your opinion I suppose.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I love the story of V as well

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I like V's story but not as much as 1's, 2's, 3's, and maybe 4's too. Better than PW's, anyway.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

V is so streamlined compared to 4 and PW, having the codec and tape stuff not pause the game is huge, and even stuff like skullface's jeep monologue is an improvement. and then in the actual cutscenes it's all killer no filler, just great shots with like 20 different types of lens flares at once

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

th cutscenes all being one long panning shot is amazing

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I think the codec conversations stopping the gameplay is a big part of what makes MGS great honestly... then again I might just have a soft spot for them because all the other MGS games have a lot more unique dialogue than MGSV

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Yeah I don't mean to hate on the codecs, but it was a really nice change of pace

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]
MGS 4 needed more codecs but MGSV doesn't . i THInk

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

blamegame posted:

Yeah I don't mean to hate on the codecs, but it was a really nice change of pace

You can't hate too hard on the super long codecs in 2 (and 3 i think) because they were used to replace long cutscenes that got cut for time. 4 has such ridiculously long cutscenes because it didn't need to do that. I like the tapes way better too

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I'm building a gaming PC with my tax money and among other games I cannot wait to replay MGS5 on PC with everything cranked up. I mean it looked good on PS4 but i bet it looks even better

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I'm building a gaming PC with my tax money and among other games I cannot wait to replay MGS5 on PC with everything cranked up. I mean it looked good on PS4 but i bet it looks even better

You can also use the Outer Heaven mod to do a full subsistence play through which I started and petered off with right before Africa but it's a super fun way to play a second file

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Metal Gear Solid 5 is absolutely the worst Metal Gear Solid

beepstreet
Feb 7, 2005

Im currently playing through it on PC after playing through it last year on PS4 and it definitely looks better. Not mind blowingly but noticable. I'm glad they prioritized 60fps on consoles though, def the right choice.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

please, no . this is hateful.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Black Baby Goku posted:

Opposite Day is tomorrow my man.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like 5, but its the worst one in my opinion. tell me which MGS 5 is better than?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

4 and PW, for me.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

In Training posted:

4 and PW, for me.
Same.

3>5>2>1>4>PW

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean I guess I can get that, I wouldn't call Peace Walker an actual numbered MGS, but 5 isn't better than 4. 4 has an incredible story and for when it came out and still to this day incredible game play, depth, and graphics. Not to mention the millions of little details. By comparison 5 feels empty, and without a good story to go with it. 5's biggest crime to me is that I don't want to replay it again, which is the first MGS I feel that way about. You can tell from every direction that Hideo wanted to make a different game and Konami hosed him, its sad, but its the worst of the mainline games imo

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
1>3>2>4>5>PW for me

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

You can't hate too hard on the super long codecs in 2 (and 3 i think) because they were used to replace long cutscenes that got cut for time. 4 has such ridiculously long cutscenes because it didn't need to do that. I like the tapes way better too

mgs2 has this poo poo though which is like the greatest thing ever and wouldn't be the same in any form other than codec

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like the themes of 4 but the cutscenes get worse every time I watch them, it's all just so long winded.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I like V for its streamlined controls and how Kojima really thought about the staple items in Metal Gear and how they could be repurposed.

I'm impressed with how ambitious 4 was in trying to tie off every possible dangling plot thread in the series, and how the change from one major area to several smaller locales showed the scale of the Patriots' influence. and playing MGS1 right before 4 got me in the right mood when I played Chapter 4.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

In Training posted:

I like the themes of 4 but the cutscenes get worse every time I watch them, it's all just so long winded.

All the dialogue in 4 is expository and trying to explain plot points that the writers were pressured into wrapping up even though they were fine already so it feels oppressive and forced.

5 has the opposite problem where they set up all the threads but then the end is missing so everything is just sort of implied which doesn't really work either.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
5 had good themes though just no chance to do anything with them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I actually think V works a lot better because understatement is not something Metal Gear has ever attempted before. I liked it a lot

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010

In Training posted:

I actually think V works a lot better because understatement is not something Metal Gear has ever attempted before. I liked it a lot

Yeah I like the subtle stuff. The whole tone of quiet seething anger and sadness is really cool. Can't wait for Chapter 3 to bring it all to its fitting conclusion.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Also Kaz going insane.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Black Baby Goku posted:

5's biggest crime to me is that I don't want to replay it again, which is the first MGS I feel that way about.
it's like 200 times longer than all the other games put together to be fair

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Oh Long Johnson posted:

Also Kaz going insane.

him going nuts and Ocelot subtly trying to steer the wheel is the best dynamic in the game.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's like 200 times longer than all the other games put together to be fair

I get that, just growing up and playing them all since the original metal gear, 5 felt very weak to me after I finished it up

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I don't want to replay 5 but I played 90% of the missions more than once. So I pretty much replayed it while I was playing it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Captain gently caress Face posted:

MGS 4 needed more codecs but MGSV doesn't . i THInk

mgs4 is 50% cutscenes tho

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i dont have a desire to replay mgs5 but i spent countless hours dicking around in it and taking out the same enemy strongholds over and over for fun with all the lategame toys you unlock.

in a sense that is replaying it. also cant you replay story missions whenever you want?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

lol i still havent finished mgs5. it has that gta effect on me where i care more about playing around in the sandbox than the story, i completed the first chapter and i was satisfied with that really.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Chapter 2 has some absolutely incredible moments and missions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

mgs5 is the poo poo, I used to only play CoD and ignored that gay boring series until they made it so you can shoot your way out of anything. Now I run around just straight MURKIN dudes and not paying attention to any gay story poo poo like the old MGS games. poo poo loving puts me to sleep haha which is why MGS5 owns bones, cuts out all the gay boring poo poo so I can get to that action, jackson. Hell motherfucking yeah.

• Locked thread