Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I actually love this map.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

I actually love this map.

It's an incredibly good map

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
If each Canada had an EV, who would've won the election?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lycus posted:

If each Canada had an EV, who would've won the election?

Definitely Hillary:
Cali-Canada
New Eng-Canada
Chi-troit-Canada

Probably Hillary:
Mid-Atlantic-Canada
Southwest-Canada

Probably Trump:
Kentuck-Canada
Minnesourri-Canada
Northwest Canada

Definitely Trump:
Mississippi-Canada
Florida-Canada

So it's a tossup, in my mind.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Schizotek posted:

I'm blowing thousands of dollars this summer to provide free labor at a dig-site in Turkey of questionable importance and relevance. gently caress money get.... well I'm sure we'll get something out of all this one day. With the incoming administration I'm just not betting on a paying job.

I thought Turkey doesn't allow any archaeological work that doesn't show Glorious Turks as being the native inhabitants for 5000 years, and DEFINITELY nothing that implies Greeks or Armenians ever lived there?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Pakled posted:

Definitely Hillary:
Cali-Canada
New Eng-Canada
Chi-troit-Canada

Probably Hillary:
Mid-Atlantic-Canada
Southwest-Canada

Probably Trump:
Kentuck-Canada
Minnesourri-Canada
Northwest Canada

Definitely Trump:
Mississippi-Canada
Florida-Canada

So it's a tossup, in my mind.

I don't know about Southwest-Canada.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I'd switch the southwest and northwest canadas.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Schizotek posted:

I'm blowing thousands of dollars this summer to provide free labor at a dig-site in Turkey of questionable importance and relevance. gently caress money get.... well I'm sure we'll get something out of all this one day. With the incoming administration I'm just not betting on a paying job.

Hey there archaeology buddy. :smith::hf::smith: I work in American contact period; almost all our poo poo is federally funded aside from a couple state sites (like Saint Mary's City) and a trickle of private donations. We're super hosed. And a huge number of our sites are at sea level because that's where native and early European settlements were! So there's that ticking clock. Whoo.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

icantfindaname posted:

I thought Turkey doesn't allow any archaeological work that doesn't show Glorious Turks as being the native inhabitants for 5000 years, and DEFINITELY nothing that implies Greeks or Armenians ever lived there?

I think you're thinking of Israel? The Turks are pretty aware that their culture migrated from Central Asia, and a big part of the Ottoman mythos was seeing themselves as the heirs of Rome.
Most of them are also aware that they're the descendants of Greek speaking Anatolians.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought it was mainly China who didn't allow non-official archeology and all official archeology is just "we dug up a rock that once again proves 5000 years of unbroken han unity over the chinese civilization-state and all world culture and invention flowed from China"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
A lot of state-sponsored archaeological programs, while on the one hand being just about the finest available, are also fraught with thorny nationalism problems. For example, in the United States until relatively recently there was very little Federal funding for archaeology involving pre-european native sites in the east. (The relative obviousness of, for example, Pueblo sites versus Powhatan ones also played a role here, to be fair.)

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Pakled posted:

Probably Trump:
Northwest Canada

It looks like most of the people in Northwest Canada are located in the Seattle, Portland, Denver, Las Vegas, and SLC metro areas. Or, to put it another way, Hillary, Hillary, Hillary, Hillary?, Trump.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pakled posted:

Mississippi-Canada
Texarkanada, surely?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Xylorjax posted:

It looks like most of the people in Northwest Canada are located in the Seattle, Portland, Denver, Las Vegas, and SLC metro areas. Or, to put it another way, Hillary, Hillary, Hillary, Hillary?, Trump.

Eh, it's not like Hillary won 60%+ in Oregon and Washington, and Nevada was a tossup, then you have all the flyovers on top of them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why did they need four colors for the map? The yellow areas could be blue, with Cansylvania red and New Engada blue and you'd get no adjacent colored areas with only red, white, and blue. :911:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Why did they need four colors for the map? The yellow areas could be blue, with Cansylvania red and New Engada blue and you'd get no adjacent colored areas with only red, white, and blue. :911:

Yellow for yellow-bellied Canadian devils.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Schizotek posted:

I think you're thinking of Israel? The Turks are pretty aware that their culture migrated from Central Asia, and a big part of the Ottoman mythos was seeing themselves as the heirs of Rome.
Most of them are also aware that they're the descendants of Greek speaking Anatolians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Language_Theory

For a long time Turkey promoted the idea that the Hittites were Turkish speakers

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Know how long that lasted for? The Wikipedia page is just talking about stuff in the 1930s, which was an era where crazy nationalism isn't particularly noteworthy.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Koramei posted:

Know how long that lasted for? The Wikipedia page is just talking about stuff in the 1930s, which was an era where crazy nationalism isn't particularly noteworthy.

Apparently it pretty much died together with Atatürk himself in 1938. There probably were some holdouts in the following years. And there's still at least one nutter who still believes in it, because of course there is.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Lycus posted:

Eh, it's not like Hillary won 60%+ in Oregon and Washington, and Nevada was a tossup, then you have all the flyovers on top of them.

Ok, so I looked and it turns out closer than I'd thought. The totals for WA, OR, CO, ID, MT, ND, SD, NV, NE, UT, WY, and NM combined come out to Hillary 5.85mil vs Trump 6.07 mil. But who knows how much that piece of northern California would tilt things?

Xylorjax fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 5, 2017

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Schizotek posted:

You'd think this sense of shared ancestry would make them a bit less hell-bent on driving out those few Greeks and Armenians that remain in the country.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They hate themselves very much.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

The Sin of Onan posted:

You'd think this sense of shared ancestry would make them a bit less hell-bent on driving out those few Greeks and Armenians that remain in the country.

And Shia Iranian national identity sees itself as a defender of religious minorities. These kinds of things rarely actually affect the way people act towards the Other.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Schizotek posted:

And Shia Iranian national identity sees itself as a defender of religious minorities. These kinds of things rarely actually affect the way people act towards the Other.

Armenian Christians are actually treated pretty well in Iran, likely better than in Turkey. As for the Kurds and Baloch, maybe worse but at least they haven't been genocided (yet)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Iran treats its Kurds worse than Turkey does? The same Turkey that's waging a literal war on them?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Orange Devil posted:

Iran treats its Kurds worse than Turkey does? The same Turkey that's waging a literal war on them?
I think he meant worse relative to Armenian Christians.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Xylorjax posted:

Ok, so I looked and it turns out closer than I'd thought. The totals for WA, OR, CO, ID, MT, ND, SD, NV, NE, UT, WY, and NM combined come out to Hillary 5.85mil vs Trump 6.07 mil. But who knows how much that piece of northern California would tilt things?

The California state on that map is clearly reaching out to steal Las Vegas, so NW is even more Republican.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Xylorjax posted:

Northern California on that map is very red.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Northern California is largely red, but how red it is on that map depends on how much of Sacramento is included. I have trouble eyeballing that.

Its population dwarfs the rest of the north (minus the San Francisco Bay Area, which is definitely not part of that Canada).

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 5, 2017

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Xylorjax posted:

Lemme tell you about the State of Jefferson. It is upset-the-apple-cart and stereotype-rural-red as all hell. Also it'd be the poorest and most subsidy-dependent State in the Union if it happened.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Platystemon posted:

Northern California is largely red, but how red it is on that map depends on how much of Sacramento is included. I have trouble eyeballing that.

Its population dwarfs the rest of the north (minus the San Francisco Bay Area, which is definitely not part of that Canada).

Yeah that's what I can't tell. Including Sacramento might tilt it back to Hillary. Of course making the campaigns actually pay attention to any of the aforementioned states would have unpredictable results. Just about every state in P/NW Canada is pretty drat safe one way or the other today.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think he meant worse relative to Armenian Christians.

Oh, I see.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Platystemon posted:

It does include Sacramento with SF because you can see the little curvy area next to it which is El Dorado county. Sacramento county starts where the border starts to go north for a bit. It also looks like it includes Yolo which is more Democrat because of Davis as well as Napa, Sonoma, and Marin counties.

Irradiation fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 5, 2017

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

In Anglo-Saxon times, Dunwich in East Anglia was one of the largest towns in England. Coastal erosion has turned it into a small village.

Everything east of the blue line is gone.

Neat, thanks.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Patter Song posted:

The California state on that map is clearly reaching out to steal Las Vegas

NCR go home

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Can someone find a balkanized map of North America that doesn't suck?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SoggyBobcat posted:

This one. :twisted:
http://aschmann.net/AmEng/index_collection/AmericanEnglishDialects.png
(it's really quite too big to embed)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SoggyBobcat posted:

Everyone's happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I don't know, I think Scotland got the short end of the stick on that one.