Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Blistex posted:

Yeah. Pretty much any acknowledgement that powers other than China fought the Japanese is seen as revisionist history and an insult to the great sacrifices China made to ensure the defeat of Japan.

Example of some of China's historical distortion in their history curriculum: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/06/world/asia/chinas-textbooks-twist-and-omit-history.html?_r=0

On the other hand, I've heard that a lot of Japan's whitewashing of WWII history is limited to a very small number of books that have been shunned by pretty much all school boards, and that the reason they don't go into depth on Japanese crimes during the war was that the curriculum for their history courses are too ambitious (too much content to cover), so the entire 20th century portion of the course usually happens in the last week of classes (if at all).

the way texbooks work in japan is that the education ministry approves privately written and sold textbooks which are then eligible to be used in classrooms. when they approve revisionist textbooks china and the western press throw a fit even if nobody uses them

they, or at least the western press, also throw a fit if/when they don't approve left-leaning textbooks. there was a decades-long legal battle between a guy who wrote a left-leaning textbook that was rejected and sued the Japanese government over and over to get the law requiring textbook approval overturned. they repeated ruled that the rejection was in error but the law was not unconstitutional

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabur%C5%8D_Ienaga

as for the actual content, the normal ones are factually accurate, not as detailed regarding specific war crimes as they should be, but for the most part the freakout over them is unfounded. IMO the ideological lens used, which is a very dry, disinterested factual description, is more potentially problematic than the actual content, it's certainly not anything like the moralistic liberalism held by western commentators. but at the same time it's not really apologia or factual revisionism, so oh well. history education in japan is not very good, but neither is it very bad. like everything else about the place it seems like "doesn't give a poo poo" rules the day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Phlegmish posted:

There's nothing wrong with it but usually the set-up is a little better than just putting them in your front basket

from a parenting perspective, the child in the basket should be seated backwards to minimize chance of survival

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Let us English posted:

AQI getting up to 700 in Chengdu. Thankfully, in less than two weeks I will be breathing in clean Mediterranean air.
170 here in Shenzhen and I was debating leaving the house today. RIP everyone in Sichuan.

My leaving the house story today:

I went skateboarding. Along the way, one of the tiles in the sidewalk had maybe half of the support under it missing, so when I rode on it it dipped down, giving my wheel more than an inch/3cm of gently caress YOU, sending me slamming into the ground unexpectedly. I think that's the hardest I've slammed since maybe 2008, and it definitely hurts more when you're older. Both knees, both elbows, left wrist, left hip, right shoulder, and my neck is tense and sore (maybe mild whiplash, who knows). It was totally unexpected and I laid there for I don't know how long, just feeling if everything was intact. I also landed on my phone, but the case protected it.

During this time, the rednecks walking on the sidewalk who saw me fall decided a good session of kanrenao was in order. Nobody said anything, nobody helped me, they only stroked their stupid chins and gawked. It pissed me off so bad. Pretty much any country in this region, if people saw someone get wrecked, at least one person would go up and ask them if they were OK or see if the were conscious or something. Nope. Not here. I was watched like a zoo animal.

After several minutes I got up after a few tries and dusted myself off. They yokels stood there, arms behind their backs. One smiled at me. They promptly dispersed and walked away, probably stoked on the story they could tell their families at dinner. "I saw a white man get hurt! China number one! gently caress Japan!"

I posted my experience on Wechat and the replies (from people who actually like me and are honest with me) were:

"You are foreign, maybe they thought you would do something bad to them."
"You are a foreigner, they don't know you.."
"You got up by yourself later, so nobody needs to help you."
"You don't understand Chinese culture. We are shy."
"Oh my."

Not even exaggerating.
I have some golf ball-sized bruises on parts of me, and a lot of muscles are super sore. I still rode for two hours after that but, once I finally got home and showered, all of the pain came flooding in and now I am laying in my bed like a corpse with the laptop on me. LOL

Also, I stopped to buy something in a small market and a family of five speaking Cantonese and walking together saw me and came up and formed a circle around me and started pointing and commenting on me, once again like a loving zoo animal.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Perhaps you should've worn knee and elbow guards or something, or are they too lame?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

Now are you talking design or manufacturing? I'm talking about actually coming up with new designs rather than having an assembly line churning out a pre-designed component.

Even during the manufacturing process it's a 2 way street. Yes the designers are coming up with new designs but the production process is never 100% smooth. The manufacturers are the ones that help designers with suggestions and alterations to scale for mass production. Prototypes get passed back and forth and it's also part of the manufacturers interest to get everything ramped up as quickly as possible. It's a endless cycle of globalization and miniaturization. Tooling engineers need to get creative as well.

Sometimes it's the designers copying the lovely market knock offs and refining those features into their main product. The cool thing about the future is that IC's and sensors are getting cheaper so there's a lot more room for new poo poo to automate and miniaturize.

Fojar38 posted:

Most of the telecom equipment I can actually look at at my place is made in Mexico actually

It says made in Mexico, but how much of the equipment is actually made in Mexico? A lot of products come almost finished on the shores of USA/Europe to avoid tariffs and duties. By having a lay person tightening the final screw, you can designate your product as MADE IN X. Tesla cars are made in USA, but they still use (not sure anymore) wipers from Mercedes which got their products from Valeo in France which made their products in Suzhou.

Lots of anti lock brake components are made in China, but the automated quality control testing might be made in Turkey/Europe/USA/Mexico. I myself am a bit miffed after I learned this known industry secret.

Hey man I'm sorry for calling you the worst :ohdear:

It's Modest loving Mao.
Then Jeoh, then fart simpson

Or me

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

icantfindaname posted:

the way texbooks work in japan is that the education ministry approves privately written and sold textbooks which are then eligible to be used in classrooms. when they approve revisionist textbooks china and the western press throw a fit even if nobody uses them

they, or at least the western press, also throw a fit if/when they don't approve left-leaning textbooks. there was a decades-long legal battle between a guy who wrote a left-leaning textbook that was rejected and sued the Japanese government over and over to get the law requiring textbook approval overturned. they repeated ruled that the rejection was in error but the law was not unconstitutional

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabur%C5%8D_Ienaga

as for the actual content, the normal ones are factually accurate, not as detailed regarding specific war crimes as they should be, but for the most part the freakout over them is unfounded. IMO the ideological lens used, which is a very dry, disinterested factual description, is more potentially problematic than the actual content, it's certainly not anything like the moralistic liberalism held by western commentators. but at the same time it's not really apologia or factual revisionism, so oh well. history education in japan is not very good, but neither is it very bad. like everything else about the place it seems like "doesn't give a poo poo" rules the day

What's a liberal leaning textbook?

I've heard many Japanese adults are really ignorant about WWII. Like "America dropped nukes on us and that's it" levels of ignorant. Is this true?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I like living in Korea v:)v

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

nickmeister posted:

I've heard many Japanese adults are really ignorant about WWII. Like "America dropped nukes on us and that's it" levels of ignorant. Is this true?

I don't know how common that is but it's around, yeah. "For some reason the Chinese attacked our army in Beijing so we had to fight them and then later the Americans nuked us for some reason, we are so victimized" is a narrative that exists for the war there. I don't think it's the majority.

If Japanese history education is like Korean and Chinese they probably don't know history because the classes are just memorizing facts and dates with no context and they are so bored they retain no information whatsoever.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know how common that is but it's around, yeah. "For some reason the Chinese attacked our army in Beijing so we had to fight them and then later the Americans nuked us for some reason, we are so victimized" is a narrative that exists for the war there. I don't think it's the majority.

If Japanese history education is like Korean and Chinese they probably don't know history because the classes are just memorizing facts and dates with no context and they are so bored they retain no information whatsoever.

I figured it also had to do with face or shame or whatever as well? Also that some Japanese bookstores have sections dedicated to books poo poo-talking China and Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oh sure there's right wing nationalist poo poo in Japan, that's a big deal. But I think the general ignorance isn't political it's just not giving a gently caress about history. Especially since it's usually considered the one time Japan's been defeated and conquered.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember watching a Japanese movie where there was this history teacher (who I think was supposed to be a good teacher) is trying to pick up this chick by teaching her history, and what they go over is only like the most irrelevant intricate details about formations and what generals were where and so on during a battle, getting her to memorize every single part of it.

I remember being annoyed in school that my history teachers just ignored battles totally and taught other stuff but hot drat if it would have been anything like how that movie portrayed it in Japan I'm glad I got to skip it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My history teachers would touch on key battles since they knew that they would get student attention. There would usually be an overhead of the battlefield and deployment, some stats about the forces, and then maybe a cool quote or interesting fact about the battle. The only time we really got into the tactics used was in the US Civil War and usually only if there was a film to go along with it that did a good job of portraying the battle accurately.

Fun fact about the American education system, since nothing is done nationally and school districts within the same state have only broad guidelines that they have to follow, if you move around a lot you can end up taking the exact same class in three different grades. I took middle-school American history, the exact same textbook, at three different schools across two states three years in a row. I saw Glory, Gettysburg, and April Morning enough times that they're cemented into my memory.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

nickmeister posted:

What's a liberal leaning textbook?

I don't think it's that bad. Lots of people probably don't know that much about the detailed course of the war but the existence of a War with China and SE Asia isn't covered up. I think they're actually more likely not to know the war with the US happened in the stereotypical lovely Japanese history ed, thus the confusion as to why the bombs happened

nickmeister posted:

I figured it also had to do with face or shame or whatever as well? Also that some Japanese bookstores have sections dedicated to books poo poo-talking China and Korea.

It's not face culture so much as bad/boring education. There are bookstores that sell books like that I'm sure, I don't know how common we're talking. Remember Milo Yinnopolous just got a book deal

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 5, 2017

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Koramei posted:

I remember watching a Japanese movie where there was this history teacher (who I think was supposed to be a good teacher) is trying to pick up this chick by teaching her history, and what they go over is only like the most irrelevant intricate details about formations and what generals were where and so on during a battle, getting her to memorize every single part of it.

I remember being annoyed in school that my history teachers just ignored battles totally and taught other stuff but hot drat if it would have been anything like how that movie portrayed it in Japan I'm glad I got to skip it.

I kind of dislike how Chinese history gets taught in the US. It's all dynasty Y, they had nice pottery, then a hundred years later comes dynasty Z, they were known for their poetry zzz... Like give kids just a little info on the insanely bloody three sided civil war full of cannibalism and treachery that occurred in between Y and Z, it might spark a little more interest.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't even remember getting all the dynasties or anything. I think we had a brief glance over the Spring & Autumn and Confucius, and then Qin Shi Huang and the Qin and early Han dynasties. Then nothing until a mention related to the Mongols, and then nothing until WW2. Granted they would be fitting most of this into the one year class that covered everything from prehistory to 1500, but I'd have still thought more could be fit in. I know I didn't really realize there were distinct Qin and Qing dynasties until I took an interest in Chinese history later.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Some choice quotes in this article.

quote:

China should “advance the toilet revolution with the help of science and technology,” Mr. Li said in November at a conference in Beijing.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
It's kind of similar everywhere though? All I learned in school is that this battle happened in 1573 and this one in 1622 etc, I only figured out much later by myself by reading about stuff on Wikipedia that they were connected because one guy lost the war the first time, and his grandson didn't feel like he was bound by the treaty signed by his grandfather anymore (since he was under internal pressure because his legitimacy was questioned since his father was a bit of a pussy due to the lost war and therefore his duchess was suspected of having whored around) and therefore caused the second one.
History classes seem pretty drat terrible at actually teaching the reasons behind events.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Since China is good friends with Pakistan, and hates India because they are worried they will become economic rivals, India's media and people don't buy into the Chinese Century for a moment. Instead, they mock it all and think China and its products are poo poo. Whenever a Chinese editorial or news source whines about India, Indian media repeats the article so Indians can read it and find one more reason to think China is poo poo

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ow/56347332.cms

quote:

"The US and some Western countries have also bent the rules on its nuclear plans. New Delhi is no longer satisfied with its nuclear capability and is seeking intercontinental ballistic missiles that can target anywhere in the world and then it can land on an equal footing with the UN Security Council's five permanent members," the editorial said.

Basically, it is whining that they can't control what India is doing, and they think by whining and telling everyone what to do that everyone will follow, just because they want them to. They have no right to, but they act like those "taddlers" at recess break in primary school that complain about people no following the rules because it gets in the way of their own breaking of the rules. Diplomacy by face culture is hilariously stupid and, while I think he is an idiot, I enjoy Trump's constant crushing of China's face etiquette that they so frustrated that they have to shift tactics and communicate by our methods.

When I was skateboarding today I rode by a military demonstration in a square. There was about 50 or more soldiers doing karate moves and screaming at the top of their lungs while bmm-tss-bmm-tss Chinese music played (like in my avatar). A ton of old people were sitting around watching (because the not-olds are at work). It was just stupid propaganda. Most other countries don't have to constantly remind the populace that their army is supposed to be strong with all of these public demonstrations. "Heh, America is going down. Did you see that guy's Taekwondo kick. Haha, he Judo chopped so hard. Listen to that scream! I bet those Vietnamese will have a heart attack when they hear that."

McGavin posted:

Some choice quotes in this article.
Would that science and technology being using un-exitable videos across all Chinese phone apps, and repeating commercials on TV, radio, internet, and train screens teaching people how to pee and poop and clean up after themselves?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

oohhboy posted:

:wtf: Why of all places would you want to study film, you choose China?! Wouldn't you be better off teaching yourself or spending it on hookers and blow?

He's got some really fresh ideas for Journey to the West and Romance of the Three Kingdoms

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

He's got some really fresh ideas for Journey to the West and Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Journey to the Northeast, where Sun Wukong travels to Manchuria to beat up some Japanese devils.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Haier posted:

Diplomacy by face culture is hilariously stupid and, while I think he is an idiot, I enjoy Trump's constant crushing of China's face etiquette that they so frustrated that they have to shift tactics and communicate by our methods.

Trump dunking on Chyna (until it probably blows up in his stupid face) is the only good thing about the next four years.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Jeoh posted:

Journey to the Northeast, where Sun Wukong travels to Manchuria to beat up some Japanese devils.

Romance of the three kingdoms which are all Inalienable Parts of China

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Haier posted:

Would that science and technology being using un-exitable videos across all Chinese phone apps, and repeating commercials on TV, radio, internet, and train screens teaching people how to pee and poop and clean up after themselves?

Step 1: Lay down some newspaper.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Speaking from experience, this is exactly what happens!

ME IN JAPAN: oh gently caress you uptight loving pervy weirdos you loving reek of BO and cigs stop touching my tits and if one more person rides two inches behind me silently on their bicycle because ringing the bell is "rude" I will loving raise Godzilla from the ocean you racist piece of penis OH GOD DID YOU JUST PUKE IN YOUR BRIEFCASE?!!?!?!?

Wait, what?

Also, funny you mentioned your Korean boss freaking out over you leaving.

The only time I have every seen someone leave a Korean school on good terms is if they have personally arranged a replacement for themselves. When word got out that my coworker was going to teach in a Korean university, the head teacher in the high school who was in charge of foreign teachers started a month-long investigation to find out which university, so he could badmouth my friend before he got there. (he failed)

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Haier posted:

When I was skateboarding today I rode by a military demonstration in a square. There was about 50 or more soldiers doing karate moves and screaming at the top of their lungs while bmm-tss-bmm-tss Chinese music played (like in my avatar). A ton of old people were sitting around watching (because the not-olds are at work). It was just stupid propaganda. Most other countries don't have to constantly remind the populace that their army is supposed to be strong with all of these public demonstrations. "Heh, America is going down. Did you see that guy's Taekwondo kick. Haha, he Judo chopped so hard. Listen to that scream! I bet those Vietnamese will have a heart attack when they hear that."

Where there any of them over 5'6"? I can only ever remember seeing 2 soldiers taller than that. My favourite Chinese soldier display was a bunch of them marching around outside the train station one day. None of them managed to be in time with anyone else, they were worse than the dancing old ladies, when they turned there'd always be a few who turned in the wrong direction and had to shuffle back into formation and at the back was a guy who must have been under 5' tall but more than 5' wide hobbling along wheezing.

In other news I'm out of here in July!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I've realized that all this talk about the "new Chinese century" is a reverse of Zeno's Achilles and the tortoise paradox.

Except that people expect China to surpass the rest based on how well they copy others.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

caberham posted:

Hey man I'm sorry for calling you the worst :ohdear:

It's okay I am in fact really really bad

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

mojo1701a posted:

I've realized that all this talk about the "new Chinese century" is a reverse of Zeno's Achilles and the tortoise paradox.

Except that people expect China to surpass the rest based on how well they copy others.

someone made a subreddit for tracking all the dumb "by 2020" hype regarding China

https://www.reddit.com/r/China2020/

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Blistex posted:

Wait, what?

Also, funny you mentioned your Korean boss freaking out over you leaving.

The only time I have every seen someone leave a Korean school on good terms is if they have personally arranged a replacement for themselves. When word got out that my coworker was going to teach in a Korean university, the head teacher in the high school who was in charge of foreign teachers started a month-long investigation to find out which university, so he could badmouth my friend before he got there. (he failed)

I was frequently a target for train gropers. I have unusually large boobs and people and small animals just sort of get sucked in there due to their gravitational pull.

That said, it's not nice to grab random ladies. :mad: I started wearing my backpack in the front as defense.

For those who don't know: if you give your Korean workplace notice, they are frequently a lot nastier to you because they know they don't have to be nice anymore. So a lot of petty resentments and aggressions tend to explode around that time, or they try to slag you off to the "competition" because you've "betrayed" your school. But the stapler thing was really unprecedented; I have never heard of anyone else experiencing that. The threatening texts, yes.

Fun fact- I just received word that my teaching certificate was accidentally sent to my school in Korea and, rather than contacting me (they have my information on file for sure), they just returned it to sender. Still petty after almost two years.

e: NOT ALL KOREANS, many people do not experience similar, my school was exceptionally difficult to deal with, etc.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 6, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I had decent luck. Three workplaces in Korea, the first two were pretty good but the third was every nightmare wrapped into one. They fired me after six months and I couldn't have been happier.

Good apartment though.

KillingPablo
Apr 5, 2003

WHOO! I am DEFINITELY not afraid of the fucking POLICE right now!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

For those who don't know: if you give your Korean workplace notice, they are frequently a lot nastier to you because they know they don't have to be nice anymore. So a lot of petty resentments and aggressions tend to explode around that time, or they try to slag you off to the "competition" because you've "betrayed" your school. But the stapler thing was really unprecedented; I have never heard of anyone else experiencing that. The threatening texts, yes.

Is "loyalty" to the school highly valued in Korea? It's been my experience in China that the turnover rate for foreign teachers is so high that schools don't anticipate people to stay longer than a year. At my particular university in Beijing we have one English professor who has been teaching for 11 years, which is even more amazing as he received his PhD at Cambridge and studied for a bit at Harvard. Our school isn't even known for having a good English program, so I've no idea why he's stayed for over a decade.

I'm actually amazed at how much the schools are willing to tolerate from bad teachers. One Canadian teacher who'd been here for 6-7 years frequently fought with the Chinese staff, assumed authority he didn't have, and it was fairly well known that he was sleeping with students (he was tall, fat, bald, and wore shorts during the winter, not exactly a catch). Thankfully he was finally fired last summer, I think the Chinese teachers at the school of foreign studies voted unanimously to can his rear end. Things might be getting better though; I heard he was hired by another university at the beginning of the fall semester, and he's already been fired from there too.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Yeah, it can be weird some times. If you're at a sketchy school sometimes they will try and take advantage of you leaving the country.

The second school I taught at had not paid my Korean income tax, and thus I was not going to be able to collect it at the end of my stay (amounted to ~1 month's salary) and I was afraid that they were also going to stiff me on the end of contract bonus since they knew I was going directly to China the day after my contract was over. I have the aforementioned friend who went to teach at a university get one of the lawyers in his University (interestingly enough he was a Lawyer from the UK) to draft a letter and take it to my school personally. I guess that they were pretty frightened by the prospect of a lawsuit, so they did everything in a hurry and had a miscommunication. They paid the full amout of my income tax to the government, plus transferred the same amount to my account. They also transfered the bonus to my account as well, so I ended up getting an extra 2.7 million won out of the deal. The stars must have been aligned, because I booked my flight to China through expedia.ca, and they hosed up and never billed my mastercard. Two weeks later I used an ATM in the Bank of China to withdraw 2000 RMB, which didn't come out of the machine, but was removed from my Canadian account. The next day my account was refunded the while amount, and then the day after that I was charged a $5 transaction fee and the 2000 RMB was refunded to me again. In all I made about $4000 in free money from different administrative gently caress ups which paid for my entire wedding ceremony (~200 guests) and wedding photos in China.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KillingPablo posted:

At my particular university in Beijing we have one English professor who has been teaching for 11 years, which is even more amazing as he received his PhD at Cambridge and studied for a bit at Harvard. Our school isn't even known for having a good English program, so I've no idea why he's stayed for over a decade.

Hey, running away isn't just for people who went to community college. Or maybe he's a real weirdo that actually genuinely loves it there. Or hell, maybe job prospects for PhDs aren't great in the US or Europe (hint, they really aren't, unless you're in STEM and even then trolololo get hosed).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yeah as impressive as it is on paper, you can go to a prestigious school and still be a total washout. See: half my family

KillingPablo posted:

I'm actually amazed at how much the schools are willing to tolerate from bad teachers.

I never taught so I'm sure someone else that has can fill in better, but it's basically just 1. a prestige thing to have a white teacher, doesn't matter their quality and 2. expensive enough to train a new teacher that replacing them takes a special kind of loving up for anyone in charge to actually do it. Like word has to be getting out to the parents and it's tarnishing the school's reputation and so on. I've heard a few stories from friends about teachers like that (or worse) and I've never actually heard of any of them being fired, mostly just everyone breathing a huge sigh of relief when they finally leave.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 6, 2017

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

OWLS! posted:

Hey, running away isn't just for people who went to community college. Or maybe he's a real weirdo that actually genuinely loves it there. Or hell, maybe job prospects for PhDs aren't great in the US or Europe (hint, they really aren't, unless you're in STEM and even then trolololo get hosed).

Might also have a hell of a salary since having a Cambridge man on staff is +10 to a university's face. If he's industrious, he could be teaching an English class on his own where students are paying him upwards of 400 RMB an hour for the pleasure of being able to brag about getting taught by a doctor. I knew a guys with a MBA that was making ~500 USD an hour teaching 12 adult students on his own in a classroom that his wife (Chinese) had rented out for 3 hours every Monday and Thursday. Guy was working in a local US company office making a typical US salary where 80% of it was just deposited to his account back home and the rest was deposited into his Chinese account. His 6 hours of teaching a week was netting him ~$11,000 USD a month (after expenses) which was actually more than he was making doing his real job. Then again, pretty much every star aligned to make that happen, so it's not like everyone with a uni degree can go be a money magnet in China.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koramei posted:

expensive enough to train a new teacher

You're making a huge assumption here that you shouldn't.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
How do you mean? I'll defer to you since you actually taught, but I've asked teachers about it before since I was curious too and that was one of the major factors. Teachers at a hagwon though, maybe things are different at an actual school?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I can't speak for Korea, but years ago at least at your average cram school in China it was p cheap to get a teacher over. Visa fees were the biggest thing and training was virtually non-existent. Even the good teachers left after like a year on average, either for another school at a higher salary or out of the country, so that whole process was streamlined. Generally visa requirements like "have a college degree" and "be a native english speaker" were loosely enforced at best so you could get about anyone over.

I've read with China's visa rules becoming way more strict that's slowly changing, but who knows.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Koramei posted:

How do you mean? I'll defer to you since you actually taught, but I've asked teachers about it before since I was curious too and that was one of the major factors. Teachers at a hagwon though, maybe things are different at an actual school?

At your typical Hagwon, what will happen is the person you are replacing will train you for 2-3 days on how to do their job. Basically they will tell you to do a certain number of pages from different workbooks that the school sells to the parents. You'll usually also have a Korean co-teacher who will know the steps as well. Training a new teacher is (at the most expensive) 3 days pay where you and the person you are replacing overlaps.

At a Public school that is actually doing Korean curriculum, they will most definitely have a Korean co-teacher who is the head of the class and will show you the ropes for the first week or so. Basically they are not spending any money to retrain you as you are learning while you work, and the person training you is already in that class, so no extra costs there.

In my Case I was starting at a brand new experimental public high school that was operating as if it were an expensive private school, and I had free reign to do whatever I wanted in the class. I had an English copy of the Gyeonggi Province English curriculum, and was allowed to interpret and teach it how I saw fit. Since I was an actual teacher back in Canada, they figured I knew what I was doing so the Korean co-teacher didn't even bother showing up to my classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Blistex posted:

In all I made about $4000 in free money from different administrative gently caress ups which paid for my entire wedding ceremony (~200 guests) and wedding photos in China.

God I wish my wedding I'm planning in Taiwan could be that cheap. It is probably going to be double that not including the honeymoon. Not to get into BWM chat in here because I can afford everything and I've been saving two years for it, but gently caress I gotta spend 2000 dollars on lovely cookies.

Edit: I should say the actual ceremony on the day-of and engagement/wedding photos are going to be around what Blistex paid. It is all the other crap that gets more expensive. Like a hairdresser for the bride's mother. And the aforementioned cookies you send to people not good enough to go to the ceremony.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 6, 2017

• Locked thread