Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

peter gabriel posted:

Why would you go out and kill a shark on purpose :(

We got 76 steaks out of that guy. It was good food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

JugbandDude posted:

Welcome back, SmugMoMA. I was afraid AngryMoMA had taken over.

No, we switched. Glad to be back.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Remember back in September when game-journos Gamestar.de accidental leaked that Squadron 42 was delayed until 2017, then CIG denied the info as false, then a month later at CitizenCon the delay was confirmed, then the Forbes guy changed the title from "Delayed Indefinitely" to "Delayed Until Some Future Undefined Date" because shitizens mailbombed him?

Good times.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
I don't like SharkKillaMoMA :saddowns:

Was that shark on the list of threatened/endangered species?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Quavers posted:

Mako sharks are not endangered.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

He's a killer whale.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

:same:

ManofManyAliases posted:

We got 76 steaks out of that guy. It was good food.

You're a dumbfuck. What was the fork length on that guy?

e: No they aren't endangered, just vulnerable (you know, the step before endangered) and routinely overfished around the world.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Quavers posted:

You don't like fishing? Sheesh.

peter gabriel posted:

Because you like to eat?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

AP posted:

He's a killer whale.

Post of the year. Calling it now. Everyone pack up and leave.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AP posted:

He's a killer whale.

:golfclap:

And, despite the PITA factor in prepping them (tough skin), they are delicious.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They had over 300 a year ago, and are still apparently growing. Behavioral and Turbulent have been contracted with them for years, a lot of their concept artists are contractors, and who knows what else. It's a massive operation.

CitizenCon 2016 (Oct)

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 5, 2017

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

This thread is excellent.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Alexa on Echo Dot:

Me: "Alexa. Is Star Citizen a scam?".

Alexa on Echo Dot: "According to Derek Smart an American videogame developer, Star Citizen as pitched cannot be made. It's a scam. You'll see. Two weeks."

Alexa is a goon!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beet Wagon posted:

:same:

You're a dumbfuck. What was the fork length on that guy?

e: No they aren't endangered, just vulnerable (you know, the step before endangered) and routinely overfished around the world.

Total length was around 6.5 feet. Fork at around 70/72in

edit: and every bit of it was loving tasty.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

And, despite the PITA factor in prepping them (tough skin), they are delicious.

The skin is useful for exfoliation, dendritic surface that creates turbulence to make them slide through the water.

Beet Wagon posted:

No they aren't endangered, just vulnerable (you know, the step before endangered) and routinely overfished around the world.

Apex predators will be pretty much the only thing left for a short time. Overfishing isn't just limited to predators, and drag trawling has created abyssal plains filled with urchins.

Still, once humans die back, we should watch everything recover pretty well. Well, not 'we', obviously.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

MoMA is the same guy who scams ladies and an SC shill? Or is he still Toast the wannabe lawyer?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Total length was around 6.5 feet. Fork at around 70/72in

edit: and every bit of it was loving tasty.

Congrats on killing a ~10 year old apex predator (that's been undergoing population decline since 1988) about one third of the way through it's useful reproductive lifetime I guess.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The combined CIG team has more people working on SC that square enix have working on FFXIV (MMO) and FFXV (Single Player).

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Beet Wagon posted:

Congrats on killing a ~10 year old apex predator (that's been undergoing population decline since 1988) about one third of the way through it's useful reproductive lifetime I guess.

Thanks. Now, what are your feelings on bluefin tuna?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'd say MoMA was the apex predator in that instance.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

spacetoaster posted:

Because you like to eat?

I like Jaws the film though, it'd be like eating ET or that dude out of Never Ending Story or something

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jO_ieYYFfo&t=137s

:yarg::yarg::yarg:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ManofManyAliases posted:

Thanks. Now, what are your feelings on bluefin tuna?

I'm excited for when they're finally fished to extinction levels and stupid fucks around the world go "Wait how come there's no more tuna?"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I like Jaws the film though, it'd be like eating ET or that dude out of Never Ending Story or something

ET strikes me as being tough. You'd need a solid marinade or possibly even sous vide to make it palatable.

Luck Dragons should have some good eating, but you'd be plucking the fucker for days.

Bambi looks delicious, though. Smoked and sliced thin. Yum.

Edit:

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm excited for when they're finally fished to extinction levels and stupid fucks around the world go "Wait how come there's no more tuna?"

Oh, that's already happening. Fun thing is that people are replacing Otoro with things like Escolar, which is delicious, but causes anal leakage. They did a bunch of genetic tests on particular dishes described as a particular fish, and they turned out to be everything but.

http://oceana.org/our-campaigns/seafood_fraud/campaign

Hav fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 5, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

We're going to need a bigger motion capture studio.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

D_Smart posted:

These are all immaterial because what's in the works completely eclipses all of the above (whether true or not).
It doesn't matter what's in the works if it never gets released, Chris.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

It doesn't matter what's in the works if it never gets released, Chris.

Have faith. The thing that's in the works is another post precisely the same as the one you're quoting. I guarantee we will see it in the near future.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

Oh, that's already happening. Fun thing is that people are replacing Otoro with things like Escolar, which is delicious, but causes anal leakage. They did a bunch of genetic tests on particular dishes described as a particular fish, and they turned out to be everything but.

Yeah the market for "fish that tastes like more expensive fish" is growing pretty rapidly - in some cases above the board but in many others on the sly. The problem is it's not going to be enough. People have been yelling about bluefin for decades now, and still nobody gives a poo poo. In fact the rapid population decline just makes big fish even more expensive, fueling the whole machine even further. Similar things are happening with shark species over here and it makes me go all pgabz (:argh:). The one upside is some sushi places around here have started branching out and pushing other species outside the generally popular Tuna/Salmon poo poo that everyone thinks of as sushi. Unfortunately that's not really worth all the downsides, but again, nobody seems to give a poo poo.

e: I should mention they're branching out but like actually labeling poo poo correctly, so you know what you're eating instead of thinking you're being eco-friendly but ultimately just eating some other threatened species haha.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 5, 2017

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Hav posted:

ET strikes me as being tough. You'd need a solid marinade or possibly even sous vide to make it palatable.

Luck Dragons should have some good eating, but you'd be plucking the fucker for days.

Bambi looks delicious, though. Smoked and sliced thin. Yum.

Edit:

I shoot a lot of small mouth buffalo and people often ask me if they can eat them. I always tell them that they already have.

I mainly go after plecostamus and Asian carp though. Everybody that bowfishes wants to shoot alligator gar but I've only taken them out when the bass fisherman ask me to. I love shooting fish, and as long as invasive species are invading I'm happy. I also practice by shooting trash out of the water.

The tilapia are really taking over here around the gulf coast. Every year they spread into more water combined with increased density in their past habitats.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

These are all immaterial because what's in the works completely eclipses all of the above (whether true or not).

D_Smart posted:

You guys think you're pissed now? Well then, better get ready for my upcoming blog because it's got some things that nobody saw coming, and which I can 100% guarantee will lead to legal action that will subsequently *force CIG to produce the promised financial accounting for the project - something that most of you are too scared to see happen.

faaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
why dont y'all eat at in n out like normal fuckin people

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah the market for "fish that tastes like more expensive fish" is growing pretty rapidly - in some cases above the board but in many others on the sly. The problem is it's not going to be enough. People have been yelling about bluefin for decades now, and still nobody gives a poo poo. In fact the rapid population decline just makes big fish even more expensive, fueling the whole machine even further. Similar things are happening with shark species over here and it makes me go all pgabz (:argh:). The one upside is some sushi places around here have started branching out and pushing other species outside the generally popular Tuna/Salmon poo poo that everyone thinks of as sushi. Unfortunately that's not really worth all the downsides, but again, nobody seems to give a poo poo.

The report was from 2013, and it was running at 38% mislabelled in Florida. People overlook the inherent honesty of fish sticks being made of 'fish protein'...I'm getting literally what I'm paying for.

It's a remote problem to most people, like Climate. People look out the window and poo poo is still okay, just a bit hotter. They don't realise that most major cities are coastal, and that ice sheet collapse is accelerating. I'm post climate now; we're utterly hosed and adaption is the only way forward. The 'adaption' is going to be heinous, though. Again, people are usually not thinking much beyond the next five years.

Funnily enough, it should be the rich getting on this, because they're the ones being defrauded every time they order 'Chilean Sea Bass', but again, the appearance of something appears to be considered more important than the actual thing itself. There's a parallel with SC there; the facade being the entirety. Trouble is the rich ain't really into preserving resources, because it's just the other fuckers that will use it all up.

And this is fairly consistent with humans. The second something becomes scarce, someone's attempting to gate it. There's no loving coincidence in the slaughter of elephants and the rise of Boko Haram.

It's not just fish, though. Our entire food production system is vulnerable to fraud; after the relevations about fish, they started checking cheese

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-16/the-parmesan-cheese-you-sprinkle-on-your-penne-could-be-wood

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

I was posting in a thread regarding new fish finders for my kayak.

Over the holiday? Didn't fish much - mostly shore, no big catches. Last Fall, however? This beast:

As a guy who goes shark fishing out of Montauk, that's no monster that's a baby.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello

D_Smart posted:

You guys think you're pissed now? Well then, better get ready for my upcoming blog because it's got some things that nobody saw coming, and which I can 100% guarantee will lead to legal action that will subsequently *force CIG to produce the promised financial accounting for the project - something that most of you are too scared to see happen.

Believe it when I see it. While watching RSI / CIG crash and burn is fun, the constant "Oh THIS will be it for them! Surely!" spiel is getting kind of old.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
RIP to all these fishes.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Woogles posted:

Believe it when I see it. While watching RSI / CIG crash and burn is fun, the constant "Oh THIS will be it for them! Surely!" spiel is getting kind of old.

Derek pulls out one one those "I have a secret" posts whenever he stops getting mentioned enough.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

D_Smart posted:

I know I said December 31st 2012 would be the end of the world but this time it's really happening. All the signs are there. Just wait. Two weeks.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
killing is cool and fun, I like watching their eyes as they bleed out

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Richie Stardust posted:

I love shooting fish, and as long as invasive species are invading I'm happy. I also practice by shooting trash out of the water.

The tilapia are really taking over here around the gulf coast. Every year they spread into more water combined with increased density in their past habitats.

Gonna admit complete ignorance on bowfishing. How does that work?

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Derek pulls out one one those "I have a secret" posts whenever he stops getting mentioned enough.

Yeah, but theAgent posted one _really_ interesting thing in terms that the last sale barely put their nostrils above water. That's the time you start looking for funding or a bridging loan. We've been saying for a while that they've effectively squeezed their revenue stream for everything and there was a shift towards the MVP heading out the door because the longer they leave it, the longer it looks like a Ponzi.

Chris concentrating on 'office stuff' tends to reinforce that for me.

TheAgent posted:

killing is cool and fun, I like watching their eyes as they bleed out

It's the moment, just after the last breath, when the light dies out of the eyes. Truly amazing. Climax every time.

Hav fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Jaws was a great white. Those are endangered and shouldn't be fished.

Some sharks on the other hand are like freaking rats and are everywhere on the coast.