Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

quote:

Initial tech implemented for Import and Export via Spirit Bank.(access via the Spirit Bank button in the inventory)
For now this bank can be accessed from anywhere.
Items have a 2 minute time frame where they are in a locked state when transferred between the account level and campaign character.
Ensure crafted items do not lose stats on transfer between worlds please!
You are unable to manipulate or rearrange items placed in Spirit Bank
http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/14791-patch-notes-december-21-2016/?p=311069

quote:

Added a Grave Digging Skill tree.
https://youtu.be/lgSLz5FeXUg

Doggir fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Wanna cook some brisket now

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
YESSSS

EDIT: Wait uhhhh you can instantly and seamlessly remove things from your character after mining it? Ummmmm.....

So here's the patch notes highlights:

- Beneficial Harvest working on all nodes, really honestly seriously this time.
- Stuff randomly spawns in trade chests around the map
- Philosopher's Stone recipe lets you test crafting by transmuting stuff I guess?
- Added brisket recipe to let you meat up without 12 wood
- More vessel crafting iteration
- Grave Digging added to harvesting tree
- Subtrees accessible from main skill tree menu
- Ranger fixes

Also import/export

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 23, 2016

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also reports from the snap test are they broke group invite & aren't going to fix it before the weekend test.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo8DhbQw_O4

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kqiWEapcLM

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

https://youtu.be/OpZJLjrb4vU

So if we are possessing dead bodies is erp in this game going to be necrophilia; asking for a friend.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
BTW, a dev mentioned on the forums that the inventory rewrite should be ready around the beginning of january.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEQD2Utliis&t=4175s

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I may play this one day long in the future when it's done.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

hey welcome to the show! posted:

I may play this one day long in the future when it's done.

Game development nevers dies, they just go free to play...

Anyways, back on topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oRY7bxl1WY

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Capntastic posted:

Game development nevers dies, they just go free to play...

Never stop being you.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

http://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-templar-powers-ui/

Templar looks kinda fun

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i paid like a thousand where the gently caress is my completed mmo

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Uhhhhh sooo uhhh. Dev Q&A came out a couple days ago, and in it one of the developers said they had chosen not to spend any money on a QA Lead, which was one of their stretch goals that they met. When asked about it, they said that they ran an experiment where they stopped announcing new stretch goals during the kickstarter and funding didn't slow down when there wasn't an active one, so therefore the stretch goals didn't drive any backing & therefore they didn't feel the need to actually spend kickstarter money fulfilling any of them.

That's uhhh.. that sure is something.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

30.5 Days posted:

Uhhhhh sooo uhhh. Dev Q&A came out a couple days ago, and in it one of the developers said they had chosen not to spend any money on a QA Lead, which was one of their stretch goals that they met. When asked about it, they said that they ran an experiment where they stopped announcing new stretch goals during the kickstarter and funding didn't slow down when there wasn't an active one, so therefore the stretch goals didn't drive any backing & therefore they didn't feel the need to actually spend kickstarter money fulfilling any of them.

lol.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

30.5 Days posted:

imagine i posted the ok hand emoji

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
They very specifically said they are going to hire a QA lead for sure, they sure as hell said nothing about not fulfilling stretch goals.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

it turns out stretch goals are not legally binding

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

malhavok posted:

They very specifically said they are going to hire a QA lead for sure, they sure as hell said nothing about not fulfilling stretch goals.

quote:

Excellent question, Caenth. Right after this stretch goal, we ran a test because we wanted to know how much incremental funding are these stretch goals were driving. We stopped announcing new stretch goals, to gauge the impact on daily pledge levels.

The answer, sadly, was that the amount of new pledges coming in did not change at all! The unfortunate conclusion was that every post-Kickstarter stretch goals was adding additional work (and cost), but not adding any additional funding to cover that work.

So the real answer is: this stretch goal didn't actually create any additional money, it just created an additional promise (cost). There is no "money in the bank" to cover that cost, because the stretch goal didn't actually produce any additional funding.

Will we live up to that promise, anyway? Yes, of course we will. Because we said we would. But it does beg the question: how do we cover those costs? and when do we do incur them?

On the "how" : we raise the money elsewhere. We never planned on funding this game strictly via crowdfunding. The majority of our funding was always expected to come from other sources (and as noted in our kickstarter FAQ, we had already raised a significant portion of it beforehand). My current estimate is that crowdfunding will account for (maybe) 25% to 30% of our budget at launch.

On the "when" : whenever it makes the most sense for the project. The QA Lead hire wasn't the most effective use of our limited resources, so we haven't hired them (yet). We will, when it makes sense to do so.

My job, and Gordon's job, is to use the resources to the best of our ability to make this game for you. If it's smarter to use the resources in a different way then we originally planned, then we're going to do that. If we need to move things forward that were never planned but turn out to be necessary to make the game great -- we will do that. If we need to push things out because it's more efficient, or lower in priority, we will do that.

You guys trusted us to make this game for you, and part of that trust means allowing us to figure out the best way to achieve that goal. It should be apparent by now that we intend to do everything we can to prove to you that trust was not misplaced.

I didn't say they weren't going to fulfill it, I said they weren't going to spend kickstarter money fulfilling them, which is, yeah, true, and strange.

I mean, yeah, like most game companies, they will eventually hire a QA lead, and provided the game does well enough, eventually fulfill all the goals. I'm not sure that really blunts the impact of "we decided not to spend stretch goal money on fulfilling the stretch goals, we'll do it when we make enough money from investors or sales". What a weird thing.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The logic there doesn't make sense.
"So the real answer is: this stretch goal didn't actually create any additional money, it just created an additional promise (cost). There is no "money in the bank" to cover that cost, because the stretch goal didn't actually produce any additional funding."

If you say you need X dollars to make a game, than anything over X is additional. So even if the stretch goal didn't directly increase funding, you have more funding than you initially said was required. It doesn't really matter where the money came from, you still have more of it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Crowdfunding is going to account for 30% of their total budget? This is a $30 million dollar game? Where the gently caress is that money going? I'm not 100% versed on what this game is, but I can't imagine justifying half of the development costs of something like Wildstar which is entirely content driven and had quite a bit of it at release.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Crowdfunding is going to account for 30% of their total budget? This is a $30 million dollar game? Where the gently caress is that money going? I'm not 100% versed on what this game is, but I can't imagine justifying half of the development costs of something like Wildstar which is entirely content driven and had quite a bit of it at release.

Salaries are gonna be salaries no matter what. If Artcraft's team is half the size of Wildstar's and everything else scales the same-ish, it makes sense. Of course, Wildstar had a ton of advertisement and poo poo since it was trying to go after that WoW dollar. So, truly, no one can say.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

They haven't raised 10m from crowd funding, that number includes private investment they've already secured, crowd funding only accounts for a little over 2m of that

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also the 30% number referred specifically to the 300k they've raised with their weird indiegogo IPO poo poo- they are legally permitted to raise up to 1m with this sort of thing

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Salaries are gonna be salaries no matter what. If Artcraft's team is half the size of Wildstar's and everything else scales the same-ish, it makes sense. Of course, Wildstar had a ton of advertisement and poo poo since it was trying to go after that WoW dollar. So, truly, no one can say.

Did a bit of research, I had no idea Artcraft's team was so big. drat.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They are real MMO game developers with experience, vc backers, etc, which is probably why they felt so comfortable saying "eh gently caress the Kickstarter".

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Did a bit of research, I had no idea Artcraft's team was so big. drat.

They're making solid progress though so I'm only slightly annoyed by their weird fiddling around with investment schemes and cavalier attitude towards getting a QA lead.

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's not as though any MMO has ever released with fundamental mechanical problems, I wouldn't worry about it.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I've been backing two games through kickstarter. This one and CU.
Neither give me a very positive vibe.

This one has been delivering some really nice in-game footage and details about ingame mechanics, but their transparency isn't all too great and doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

CU is the opposite. I practically know everything about all the people working on the game all to the color of socks they are wearing and we get showered with lore, artwork, .... but I have yet to learn exactly how the gameplay will exactly be like.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

imagine i posted the ok hand emoji

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Someone post the handoticon so everyone can be in on the joke!!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
There needs to just be a "neat" emoji that conveys both my lack of excitement, but also my lack of disapproval at what is happening at this point.

Like...the most neutral emoji ever but maybe nudged 1% into the "well that's interesting" category. I don't know what that looks like but...

Neat.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Evernoob posted:

I've been backing two games through kickstarter. This one and CU.
Neither give me a very positive vibe.

This one has been delivering some really nice in-game footage and details about ingame mechanics, but their transparency isn't all too great and doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

CU is the opposite. I practically know everything about all the people working on the game all to the color of socks they are wearing and we get showered with lore, artwork, .... but I have yet to learn exactly how the gameplay will exactly be like.
I'd take the former. Bottom up vs top down.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Kimsemus posted:

There needs to just be a "neat" emoji that conveys both my lack of excitement, but also my lack of disapproval at what is happening at this point.

Like...the most neutral emoji ever but maybe nudged 1% into the "well that's interesting" category. I don't know what that looks like but...

Neat.

I use words to express myself

Words like "spiffy"

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Didn't WoW cost twice that before release day? Crowfall is pretty ambitious, I think making a game like this with a seven digit budget would be impossible

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Capntastic posted:

Someone post the handoticon so everyone can be in on the joke!!

forge
Feb 26, 2006

Capntastic posted:

They're making solid progress though so I'm only slightly annoyed by their weird fiddling around with investment schemes and cavalier attitude towards getting a QA lead.

The real question is how does this effect my crowfall stock?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

forge posted:

The real question is how does this effect my crowfall stock?

New preferred investors: increased valuation and you pay taxes on a video game. Then video game bombs and you have to itemize your deductions so you can write off a video game.