Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Curt Schilling is a complete turd but if you start tieing dumb political statements to HoF entrance than it quickly gets out of control. I hate Curt with a passion but I think he should probably get in his very last year of elgibility cause he was a very good baseball pitcher which is what the HoF is about.

Granted he may not get in because he advocated murdering the journalists more than anything, but either way there is almost zero argument against his hurling abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

it is simultaneously true that curt schilling was a fantastic baseball player who should absolutely be in the hall of fame and that it is really funny to imagine how mad getting shunned is making him for being too mad, red, and nude online.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
IMO you have to weigh Schilling's excellence against Kingdoms of Amalur's repetitive sidequests and uninspired setting.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

I have never liked this argument. Our culture is different than when they went in. Why can't the criteria be different? We don't have to keep doing the same stuff just because that's what we've always done.

So you're saying for HOF eligibility you have to be an all-time great player AND be popular?

Forgetting Cobb for a moment (who was a racist and probable murderer), Ted Williams always had a contentious relationship with the press. There was mutual dislike his entire career. I don't think he liked the fans much, either. But he's still in.

Schilling said something stupid that he absolutely should not have said, and he's an rear end in a top hat with repugnant ideas and pretty much a shithead of a person. But he did not cheat on the field (that we know of), did not gamble on the game, and a case could be made to put him in looking at his numbers. I'm on the fence with his career stats, but I wouldn't hate it if they put him in, either.

I'm just saying I think it's unfair to keep him out simply because he pissed off the wrong people. That's why Ron Santo was left out all those years. Ronny never said anyone should be lynched, but still....

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 5, 2017

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

Actually, I figured it out. Tom Glavine just sucked and couldn't throw strikes, but Javy Lopez was the greatest pitch framer of all time. But nobody knew about pitch framing back then or Lopez would be in the Hall instead of Glavine. Chalk up another win for advanced stats.

Oddly, Maddux tended to use anyone else but Lopez as his personal catcher.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I think comparing someone who uses straight up hate speech to people who were disliked because they were gruff is really disingenuous and to claim its a slippery slope is pretty ridiculous.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BBWAA can also put Schilling in the Santo Protocol

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Yeah wanting to make an MMO is really the biggest strike against Schilling.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

So you're saying for HOF eligibility you have to be an all-time great player AND be popular?

Forgetting Cobb for a moment (who was a racist and probable murderer), Ted Williams always had a contentious relationship with the press. There was mutual dislike his entire career. I don't think he liked the fans much, either. But he's still in.

:colbert: Stan :colbert:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think comparing someone who uses straight up hate speech to people who were disliked because they were gruff is really disingenuous and to claim its a slippery slope is pretty ridiculous.

Yeah I was waiting to hear what Ted Williams did that was on par with Schilling's Schillingness and if that's all there is...

Your Taint posted:

Schilling said something stupid that he absolutely should not have said, and he's an rear end in a top hat with repugnant ideas and pretty much a shithead of a person. But he did not cheat on the field (that we know of), did not gamble on the game, and a case could be made to put him in looking at his numbers. I'm on the fence with his career stats, but I wouldn't hate it if they put him in, either.

It's also worth noting that you're comparing a guy who you yourself claim is borderline maybe being hurt in the vote to a top 2 hitter (at the time, arguably now) to ever play the game. It's not exactly apples to apples.

Barry Bonds was a jerk to the press too and would have no trouble sailing in if steroids didn't exist. If all Schillings comments do is make people look harder for reasons to not put him in...well those reasons are there to find.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 5, 2017

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

it is simultaneously true that curt schilling was a fantastic baseball player who should absolutely be in the hall of fame and that it is really funny to imagine how mad getting shunned is making him for being too mad, red, and nude online.

this is how i feel

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
More Maddux. My favorite ever pitcher and it's not particularly close. Also love that now he just sort of hangs around Vegas and half-assedly at best advises the UNLV team.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

R.D. Mangles posted:

The best poster in sas is once again correct

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

bawfuls posted:

true

However, advocating for the lynching of the voter base who is responsible for electing you is probably not going to be a successful induction tactic.

Guy is a fuckin idiot, no doubt about it. The situation is also very funny.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wonder if Schilling would prefer getting into the HOF or getting to spend the rest of his life being a martyr and claiming that the conservative cross he died upon was why the heathen liberal press didn't let him in.

i'm leaning option 2

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

I wonder if Schilling would prefer getting into the HOF or getting to spend the rest of his life being a martyr and claiming that the conservative cross he died upon was why the heathen liberal press didn't let him in.

i'm leaning option 2

This is the strongest case for Curt Schilling being inducted in the HoF I've seen so far.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Your Taint posted:

There is a difference between "not popular" and "a despicable, combative person who constantly espouses repulsive views and throws a tantrum whenever he's called on it"

People can advocate for a higher moral standard in today's voting, and it's certainly reasonable that many would say Schilling fails to rise to that standard while no other players on the current ballot have the same problem.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Your Taint posted:

Ted Williams has a significantly better HOF case than Schilling despite losing a huge chunk of his career to military service and not saying that the very people whose job it would be to vote him in should by lynched

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Your Taint posted:

Peer reviewed research says that Al Stump made up most of the stuff about about Cobb. If you want to cite a virulent racist that is in the hall of fame, I suggest Cap Anson, who played a major role in erecting baseball's color barrier.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

bawfuls posted:

There is a difference between "not popular" and "a despicable, combative person who constantly espouses repulsive views and throws a tantrum whenever he's called on it"

People can advocate for a higher moral standard in today's voting, and it's certainly reasonable that many would say Schilling fails to rise to that standard while no other players on the current ballot have the same problem.

Wait didn't barry bonds beat the poo poo out of his pregnant wife and stuff

I mean yeah Schilling has lovely abhorrent views but let's keep this in perspective

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Cubs and Rangers are the favorites to land Tyson Ross.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/01/rangers-rumors-tyson-ross-aggressive.html

I hope we land him because I like Monty better out of the pen. Will Ross be ready to go by Opening Day?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Jung Ho Kang was cut from the South Korean WBC team after his third DUI last month.

I am beginning to suspect that he may not be that great of a guy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Your Taint posted:

I hope we land him because I like Monty better out of the pen. Will Ross be ready to go by Opening Day?

I like Ross but Montgomery's stuff is perfect for a starting position given how sick his change and curve are. Ross still needs to get healthy but it could be an instance of paying him now so he's around in 2018 after Lackey's gone (and Arrieta probably).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I like the idea of having Hendricks, Lester, Ross, and Montgomery locked up for 2018. Whether Ross or Montgomery ended up in the pen for 2017, it'd also be a big boost for the middle relief situation (though there's an argument for Montgomery to the pen this year just to have another lefty...but then, do you really want to change the rotation in the middle of the year if Montgomery's doing well?).

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jan 5, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

Discussions of Monty versus Ross as pitchers had me so confused, given the roster last year. Stop getting pitchers with names/nicknames that are like last year's catchers!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Poque posted:

I like Ross but Montgomery's stuff is perfect for a starting position given how sick his change and curve are. Ross still needs to get healthy but it could be an instance of paying him now so he's around in 2018 after Lackey's gone (and Arrieta probably).

If the postseason taught us anything it's that how important a strong bullpen is. The addition of Davis did well to offset the loss of Chapman. Monty would be a good long guy out of the pen if you needed multiple innings. Plus he can be called in as needed in crucial situations. Strop and Rondon fell off at the end of last year (granted injuries played a factor) and it seems that Maddon lost all faith in both of them after they got healthy. But a pen of Rondon, Strop (if they're both healthy), Monty, Edwards, and Davis is pretty drat good.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 5, 2017

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

John Smoltz said, several years in a row in spring training, Maddux would try to rear-end his rental car so he had to cover damages. He's a weird guy.

There's another story via Jason Parks from his old Rangers sources that Maddux used to tell the young Texas pitchers that throwing a curve is like jerking off: just do what feels good.

Intruder posted:

Ted Williams has a significantly better HOF case than Schilling despite losing a huge chunk of his career to military service and not saying that the very people whose job it would be to vote him in should by lynched

Well, Schilling wasn't a once in a multi-generational baseball player, either.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 5, 2017

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Just imagine Curt Schilling's HoF speech for a moment. Imagine the fiery hot takes that would come out of what's left of that man's mouth.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Curt Schilling has a HOF playing career but I think he'll get in by some sort of shadow committee because the writers aren't going to vote him

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

Will Ross be ready to go by Opening Day?

Probably not, from what I've read. And even if he was TOS isn't something you want to rush back into a full season from, so I'd wager Ross and Montgomery would end up splitting time in the 5th starter role either way.

Nail Rat posted:

I like the idea of having Hendricks, Lester, Ross, and Montgomery locked up for 2018.

Except Ross only wants a one year rebuilding deal and there are enough teams interested in him (read: all of them) that even if both the Cubs and the Ranger were only offering multi-years, another team would probably swoop in and give him a one year deal.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I didn't know any of these things about Maddux and it seems like he owns?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Twin Cinema posted:

Jung Ho Kang was cut from the South Korean WBC team after his third DUI last month.

I am beginning to suspect that he may not be that great of a guy.

Chris Coughlan may have been onto something?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Probably not, from what I've read. And even if he was TOS isn't something you want to rush back into a full season from, so I'd wager Ross and Montgomery would end up splitting time in the 5th starter role either way.

Except Ross only wants a one year rebuilding deal and there are enough teams interested in him (read: all of them) that even if both the Cubs and the Ranger were only offering multi-years, another team would probably swoop in and give him a one year deal.

Sounds like Ross would be better suited to come out of the pen then, but he probably wouldn't accept that role if he's only looking for a one-year deal.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Greg Maddux has one of my favourite quotations, which I added to my facebook back when those things were prominently displayed.

"I daydream just like everybody else. I just do it with my body facing the field, so everybody thinks I'm paying attention."

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe
Chris Berman will no longer host the Homerun Derby!!

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/18413458/chris-berman-leaving-espn-nfl-host-role-remains-network-new-deal

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

I didn't know any of these things about Maddux and it seems like he owns?

Yes, that is correct

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Taint posted:

Sounds like Ross would be better suited to come out of the pen then, but he probably wouldn't accept that role if he's only looking for a one-year deal.

I haven't seen a 100% clear picture of the situation yet, and a caveat to my pessimism is that Harvey underwent treatment for TOS in 2016 as well and he claims he'll be ready for opening day plus I haven't read anything suggesting he wouldn't be able to start on the regular, so who loving knows. In terms of contracts it sounds like both Texas and the Cubs are looking to give Ross a two year contract laden with incentives + a team option for 2018, but Ross would prefer a one year deal to prove he's healthy and effective before hitting FA at the age of 30.

To be honest even if it was only on a one year deal I'd love it for the Cubs to pick up Ross. SP depth is never a bad thing, and having Montgomery mostly in the pen while picking up the occasional start would own. I think it's clear the Cubs eventually want Montgomery to be a starter given his stuff + being locked up through 2021, so a year of easing him into the role while still being able to leverage him in the pen is the best case scenario.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

There is a god!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Popete posted:

Curt Schilling is a complete turd but if you start tieing dumb political statements to HoF entrance than it quickly gets out of control. I hate Curt with a passion but I think he should probably get in his very last year of elgibility cause he was a very good baseball pitcher which is what the HoF is about.

Granted he may not get in because he advocated murdering the journalists more than anything, but either way there is almost zero argument against his hurling abilities.

It is a failure of society that the bigoted poo poo Schilling says can be written off as "dumb political statements". Considering sports are entirely an entertainment industry I am totally fine with ditching precedent and arbitrarily deciding an openly bigoted piece of garbage is unworthy to be in its Hall of Fame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

We celebrate now but when they use Joe Buck next year instead we'll all pine for "Back, back, back, GONE!"

• Locked thread