Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
DAUNTE VICKNABB please respond

do you play on the japanese server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Koguma posted:

DAUNTE VICKNABB please respond

do you play on the japanese server

dr fresh doug

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

stump collector posted:

i feel like we're back to everything being viable in the jungle, except sejuani

sej is actually fine since she has a faster AoE clear than most tanks, but she doesn't really abuse the extra gold as well as the carry junglers or the extra exp as well as zac.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

dear ekko, you mother fucker.

i write this letter to you, not because you ungrateful piece of poo poo, you smarmy cock sucking swine have repeatedly set me up and thrown me under the bus when i use my ultimate ability "stand united" - which, may i remind you, is on a 2 minute cooldown - to save you from certain death, and then you just blink away as soon as i get there and taunt people. i expect you to stand united when i use the ability stand united.

no, i write this letter to you because on the third occasion i saved you from certain death in this way, near the end of the game, in an attempt to preserve your KD ratio as you were fighting in the enemy base, you dunked me in the fountain and ulted out. what the gently caress bro. i could have given everyone an s rank but your stupid rear end had to gently caress it up.

sincerely,

gokusamadesu, A+ rank shen.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm going to say Ekko is in the right here, and I need a gif STAT.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Please download and record that game thanks

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
So it happened. I had my first penta stolen by a teammate. It was only ARAM, but it happened. I was Garen, which is strange enough as is. I had one guy left, who had way more HP than me. The rest of our team had died during the teamfight. I outplayed the other guy to sliver of health. Just need 1 auto for the kill. Then our 1/6 full health twitch who was running back from spawn as the announcer yells "Triple kill!" "Quadrakill" comes out of nowhere and autos the guy. Thanks bro. Maybe I will get a penta one day.

"I'm gonna want that back!"

But I did learn that Garen can be surprisingly good in ARAM.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 4, 2017

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Gripen5 posted:

So it happened. I had my first penta stolen by a teammate. It was only ARAM, but it happened. I was Garen, which is strange enough as is. I had one guy left, who had way more HP than me. The rest of our team had died during the teamfight. I outplayed the other guy to sliver of health. Just need 1 auto for the kill. Then our 1/6 full health twitch who was running back from spawn as the announcer yells "Triple kill!" "Quadrakill" comes out of nowhere and autos the guy. Thanks bro. Maybe I will get a penta one day.

"I'm gonna want that back!"

But I did learn that Garen can be surprisingly good in ARAM.

Garen and Mundo are the #1 and #2 tanks in ARAM respectively. It shouldn't surprise you that people with built in sustain easily win Sustain Mode: The Game

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I struggled a bit at the beginning of the season but I'm confident in saying that MF is once again Pretty Good:

Some minor changes in builds this season. I'm running lethality reds and flat AD quints (lethality quints are bad, don't take them), and 10% scaling CDR in games without significant/multiple magic damage threats (flat MR blues otherwise).

Build is now BF sword -> dirk -> completed ghostblade -> another dirk + T2 boots -> black cleaver -> edge of night + BT -> last item of your choice (usually a LW item or maw). Basically, duskblade is a trash item now with a combine cost that basically gives you 0 stats, so you don't build it anymore. But you still need the early AD really badly on MF so you start with a BF sword and sit on hit for a long time. The second dirk -> edge of night is somewhat optional but the item has really good synergy with her and flat pen is still really valuable.

It also helps that all ADCs except Caitlyn and Twitch are in a pretty bad state, and MF only really has any issues with Caitlyn (I ban her always now).

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 4, 2017

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

blah_blah posted:

(lethality quints are bad, don't take them)

Why? I like them on pretty much anybody getting duskblade.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Gripen5 posted:

So it happened. I had my first penta stolen by a teammate.

teammates (and especially friends) should always make someone work as hard as possible to earn a penta. that twitch did the right thing

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

Why? I like them on pretty much anybody getting duskblade.

They do nothing early game and don't provide enough value lategame to be worth it at 2 lethality/quint (you get 1 lethality/mark). You shouldn't be building duskblade on MF anymore, the component items (BF + dirk) give 65 AD, so you pay a 800g combine cost to get 0 additional AD and 5 lethality. It's simply massively gold inefficient, especially at the stage of the game that you'd want to buy it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Gripen5 posted:

I was Garen, which is strange enough as is... I outplayed the other guy to sliver of health.

mmhmm.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Super Librarian posted:

teammates (and especially friends) should always make someone work as hard as possible to earn a penta. that twitch did the right thing

He probably did do the right thing, but considering his play to that point, he was most likely just oblivious.

Ok. "Outplay" might be a bit of an exaggeration. I would imagine Bronze is even too skilled for me, but I had almost no health, they had about 3/4, and somehow with my button mashing, they ended up almost dead. I would imagine I looked like a flailing fish on a boat deck in the replay. But feels good man.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Zuuuhh your champ doesn't even have one free flash how could they do an out play

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Gripen5 posted:

Ok. "Outplay" might be a bit of an exaggeration.

were you using auto resets and stuff? if you used your abilities optimally and your opponent did not you outplayed them

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I played like three games against Poppy and Hecarim and Camille last night and... League is just not very fun right now. I hate this meta.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Sexpansion posted:

I played like three games against Poppy and Hecarim and Camille last night and... League is just not very fun right now. I hate this meta.

On the plus side, Riot have nerfs for Poppy, Camille and xp from the first jungle clear lined up, and they want to look at whether ganking has increased and whether ADCs are feeling too much pressure because of it. So hey, in a few patches we can look forward to the unintended consequences of whatever changes they settle on to try and reconcile the fact that pro and solo queue games have different metas and balance requirements.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i hate league

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

not me man. i love league. league of legends? that is my poo poo right there. big fan.

Crazy Larry posted:

On the plus side, Riot have nerfs for Poppy, Camille and xp from the first jungle clear lined up, and they want to look at whether ganking has increased and whether ADCs are feeling too much pressure because of it. So hey, in a few patches we can look forward to the unintended consequences of whatever changes they settle on to try and reconcile the fact that pro and solo queue games have different metas and balance requirements.

anything riot can do to make the marksmen and women feel better is a change i welcome, unless it is done like poo poo and results in people playing top lane draven and mid ezreal, then i must draw the line.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

not me man. i love league. league of legends? that is my poo poo right there. big fan.
As a top lane main :same:

quote:

anything riot can do to make the marksmen and women feel better is a change i welcome, unless it is done like poo poo and results in people playing top lane draven and mid ezreal, then i must draw the line.
Long term I think they're going to have to make changes that lead to picks like this being more viable. There are a variety of factors influencing the current state of bot lane, some of which can be altered without affecting ADCs, but I feel like there are underlying issues that people have been talking about for a couple years that they have to address sooner or later.

1. The annual change for change's sake jungle update favored champs with high early game pressure and ganking potential, so much so that Warwick, a quintessential "safe" solo queue jungler, is one of the worst junglers in the game and doesn't even get assigned as a jungler on op.gg's champ stats page because he's so non existent. They're making some jungle changes next patch that might help, but I'm not sure that with the way jungle functions right now will make slower paced junglers viable with just incremental buffs and nerfs.

2. The changes to turrets made to kill lane swaps in pro games makes it more valuable than ever for teams to repeatedly gank and dive bot lane. There are obvious changes they can make to discourage repeatedly pressuring bot lane, but how effective these changes are is going to depend on how strongly they want to enforce the standard lane meta professionally.

3. (Most) Tanks got a great new mastery and have access to cheap armor options with convenient upgrade paths. Pretty easy to adjust.

4. Repeated changes to AD itemization (not all of it aimed at ADCs) has stripped a lot of the early item power spikes from ADCs. They've stripped power from IE to avoid the scenario of first ADC to IE auto winning lane, but at the same time they've taken power from some of the alternate builds so that very few ADCs have a build path that doesn't involve a BF Sword first. Look at the default first item for Mage's by comparison - Morellonomicon. It builds from cheap, useful components, so that you basically can't be forced into a bad recall (the single biggest chunk of gold you need for it is 665g for the final combine) and you never feel at a huge power deficit or way behind on your build the way you do as a pickaxe versus BF sword adc. At the same time Morellonomicon provides raw damage, CDR, sustain, and a useful secondary stat that are all useful individually. Meanwhile the default ADC start (BF into either IE or zeal) has a a huge upfront gold cost, provides no sustain, a useful secondary effect and a hodgepodge of damage stats that need more stats on top of them to really be used to full effect. On top of all that if there's a tank in the game it's pretty much mandatory that you buy a Last Whisper as your third item, but the updated LW is better against late game tanks but a much smaller power spike against every other champ.

These itemization issues aren't all particularly new, and until they address them to give ADCs a more rewarding first item power spike on a build path that doesn't have the potential of trapping them into bad recalls where they lose lane because they backed with 1200g while their opponent backed with 1300g they're still going to be dealing with complaints from adcs. Unfortunately giving ADCs more powerful and more convenient early buys probably leads to more solo lane ADC picks. Hell, Corki is already one of the best mids in the game because he basically ignores all of the complaints about ADCs feeling anemic early game with a powerful and cheap first item, abilities that scale well from levels and an ability that provides high impact in early game fights even when behind.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Yeah the issue with ADCs is basically 'lovely freestanding items'. No single item really makes things click for the class, regardless of who you are. A deadman's plate or sunfire cape multiplies a tank's HP by much more than IE multiplies your damage, and the same goes for a morello and mages. That they're much cheaper on top just adds insult to injury.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I hope they reduce the cost and increase the AD on IE. That would be the best way to increase ADC effectiveness on the game without impacting other characters and without skewing balance massively within the ADC pool. To my knowledge, basically no non-ADCs build IE currently. Maybe Rengar does. Remove him from the game at the same time.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

well another issue is that they also have no early game power with their keystones, they're going to be the lowest level champ, and they can't defensively itemize against anything! need armor? well too loving bad. need MR? okay there are a few outrageously expensive items that aren't really very good for you. compare that to like, zhonyas and abyssal as an ap mid.

another issue with adc is not necessarily explicitly a balance one but a psychological one. the way their itemization works just feels bad. you need two and a half or three items to be baseline "acceptable," you don't feel strong, you just feel competent. even if you get really far ahead you never feel ahead, you can whip the poo poo out of the other adc in this case and maybe their support but that's about it. you can't snowball, which is fine i suppose, but basically you end up feeling somewhere between useless to finally able to contribute, which is a real "feel bad." it's just not a satisfying play pattern.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Literally all they need to do is roll back the pre-season fervor change and the last whisper nerf from s6. 3 item lw should feel as effective as 3rd item void imo

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

Crazy Larry posted:

good words about adc problems

Yeah it's a big issue and one of the main reasons I don't ADC much at all. I'd be completely crap at it if I wasn't support so often so I know the lane well - when to fight, when to back away. The biggest annoyance I have is exactly what you mention: the bloody BF sword. Added to this, while it is helpful that Doran's gives lifesteal, if you want to use it to heal up in any meaningful way you're going to have to auto minions which has the undesired effect of pushing your wave too far forward. Compare this to my second favourite role: tanking up top. If you take a beating you've probably got a corrupting potion, or perhaps your kit/passive has some hefty regrowth built in anyway. Failing those, if you're getting your poo poo kicked in and can't farm very well, Bami's will give you HP and lets you pick up much needed CS almost passively. Or if you can't afford that, you can at least get a good chunk of armour for a mere 800g. If it's really not going your way, hell just TP bot and murder the poor ADC trying to scrape up the gold in between jungle ganks.

Unrelated, but despite being a support main I tried Sona for the first time ever, WTF why can a goddamn support do that much damage without landing a skillshot just by pressing Q. Most boring champ ever, but if I ever felt inclined to climb the ladder I'd just spam her all the way through bronze. Doubt I'd get much further than that and I'd probably pick up some bad habits, but holy poo poo. Push buttons, get kills: the champion.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i wish they'd revert Fervor to how it originally was, the current version doesn't feel like it fully serves the attack speed/on-hit based champions it was originally intended for, which includes some ADCs as well. it's now better on bruisers who weave AD spells and autoattacks like Riven and Renekton, who have other good options for keystones already, and worse on Jax and Irelia types who have light AD scaling and don't really have other good options.

in general, I don't like how much of a butterfly effect the keystone masteries have on balance. every time they tweak them or add a new one, things shift dramatically, and champs that don't have one that synergizes well with their kit just get left behind.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Firebert posted:

Literally all they need to do is roll back the pre-season fervor change and the last whisper nerf from s6. 3 item lw should feel as effective as 3rd item void imo

old lw would be the dream. they would have to make it ranged only tho

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Lovechop posted:

old lw would be the dream. they would have to make it ranged only tho

And nothing of value would be lost. Any change that makes assassins worse is a good change

Crazy Larry posted:

1. The annual change for change's sake jungle update favored champs with high early game pressure and ganking potential, so much so that Warwick, a quintessential "safe" solo queue jungler, is one of the worst junglers in the game and doesn't even get assigned as a jungler on op.gg's champ stats page because he's so non existent. They're making some jungle changes next patch that might help, but I'm not sure that with the way jungle functions right now will make slower paced junglers viable with just incremental buffs and nerfs.

You know, your post made me realise something, the periods when I enjoyed league most were the ones when WW was the absolute best soloq toplaner, or at least one of the absolute top.

el dingo posted:

Unrelated, but despite being a support main I tried Sona for the first time ever, WTF why can a goddamn support do that much damage without landing a skillshot just by pressing Q. Most boring champ ever, but if I ever felt inclined to climb the ladder I'd just spam her all the way through bronze. Doubt I'd get much further than that and I'd probably pick up some bad habits, but holy poo poo. Push buttons, get kills: the champion.

I absolutely love playing Sona, it's the main reason why I'm not bothered when I get autofilled into supporting. I really wish second role was hardcapped at being given to you like 30% of the time, then I could actually queue with it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

another issue with adc is not necessarily explicitly a balance one but a psychological one. the way their itemization works just feels bad. you need two and a half or three items to be baseline "acceptable," you don't feel strong, you just feel competent. even if you get really far ahead you never feel ahead, you can whip the poo poo out of the other adc in this case and maybe their support but that's about it. you can't snowball, which is fine i suppose, but basically you end up feeling somewhere between useless to finally able to contribute, which is a real "feel bad." it's just not a satisfying play pattern.

This is a big issue that I'm genuinely surprised isn't being discussed more openly by the devs. If your lane goes to poo poo and you're forced back to inner early on in the game, it feels like absolute garbage: you have to spend the next 10-15 minutes rotating through lanes and farming until you can get to the point where you can even begin to contribute to a teamfight, especially in the era of Poppy and Maokai having hilarious amounts of armor/DR/shields that let them simply walk up next to you and kill you. If your lane goes well and get first tower gold, you feel like you're hanging onto the game by a thread, because Lee Sin or LeBlanc or whoever can still jump on you and pop you in a couple of moves and you have no way to itemize against them without severely crippling yourself. If I get ahead playing support Zyra, I feel like I can win just about any fight and help propel my team to victory. If I get ahead playing Caitlyn or Ashe, I still feel like I've got another 10 minutes of last hitting before I can safely approach a teamfight without getting turned into gravy. Unless I get hilariously ahead as ADC, I never feel like I've hit a point where the game's in the bag and I can successfully fight other champions without consistent backup.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Vermain posted:

This is a big issue that I'm genuinely surprised isn't being discussed more openly by the devs.

Well apparently the balance team went on vacation after the preseason changes and their first reaction to the current situation with ADCs was to blame the assassin update/lethality changes so I guess give it two months and they might get around to discussing the problems we're talking about now.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Imo they should take this as a chance to work AD carries into something that has the same sort of game scaling as every other hero, or at least minimize the high and low points.

Carries were well thought out for a game where nobody else scaled numberswise and lane variety allowed for unique and fun strats to hide the paper-thin carry until they reached game-ending powet

In league they're just assassins except thet assassinate creeps instead of intelligent beings so they always end up with either no reward or hilarious risk (somehow we've reached a state where both has happened)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Maybe just remove adcs from the game and play bruiser/supp bot lanes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think a major issue with ADCs is that they're just not strong against anything that isn't a creep or tower or whatever. And those are super-important but it means they're basically helpless against other players until absurdly late in the game. The advantage they have for being ranged has dwindled steadily season by season too.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

ImpAtom posted:

I think a major issue with ADCs is that they're just not strong against anything that isn't a creep or tower or whatever. And those are super-important but it means they're basically helpless against other players until absurdly late in the game. The advantage they have for being ranged has dwindled steadily season by season too.
I wonder if that has anything to do with their present design philosophy of every new champion needing a kit that includes a 10 second cooldown that forces flash and can sometimes stick even after that.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

because of itemization and keystone changes at pretty much all levels of non-pro play it's become much more trivial to just tower dive to take towers now so adcs aren't even really meaningfully important for taking or defending towers. and any ranged ap champ who can justify building a lichbane is probably just as good or better at virtually every point in the game, even discounting ziggs who is specifically elite at it

ArbitraryC posted:

I wonder if that has anything to do with their present design philosophy of every new champion needing a kit that includes a 10 second cooldown that forces flash and can sometimes stick even after that.

did you not see that video of 2 item draven taking 30+ autos to kill a 1 armor item poppy? this has nothing to do with mobility.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
You aren't required to play a range ad bot.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
time to play mordekaiser + ivern botlane brah

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
*In the design room*

"Hey guys I got a great idea, why don't we make a close range high damage champion with gap closers so good that their lack of range is functionally irrelevant"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i get that you hate mobility but its got virtually nothing to do with the sorry state of ADCs

• Locked thread