Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Giannis looking good. Let's see what he can do in the playoffs and if he has The Look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

The real story here isn’t the game itself, but that it offered a glimpse into a world where McCollum is the man. McCollum has played 11 games without Lillard, and in those games, he’s averaging 28.4 points, 5.6 assists, and 4.9 rebounds on a 55.3 effective field goal percentage, via StatMuse.com. To put those numbers into perspective, only 21 players all time have ever posted averages of 28 points, five assists, and four rebounds in a season (via Basketball-Reference) — and only five of them have done so with an effective field goal percentage of 54 or higher: Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, LeBron James, Durant, and Curry. McCollum wasn’t at his most efficient on Wednesday against the Dubs, but his overall performance with Lillard out has been tremendous.

There's no way Portland would trade Lillard, right?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Do Unicorns need The Look, or is it kind of built in?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Spite posted:

I'm always amazed at how well GSW hid how much of a dick Bogut is.

I loved Bogut during his time in Milwaukee even though he never lived up to his draft position. He bought a couple of rows of season tickets and gave them out for free to fans as long as they would cheer for the team to keep the crowd energy up. He did this like every year he was there.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Whooping Crabs posted:

I loved Bogut during his time in Milwaukee even though he never lived up to his draft position. He bought a couple of rows of season tickets and gave them out for free to fans as long as they would cheer for the team to keep the crowd energy up. He did this like every year he was there.

That's because they were all white

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I think the lesson to learn from Giannis is that super athletic players that just started playing competitive basketball that show promise and coordination are better bets than people like Joe Alexander, Jonathan bender, or Gerald Green.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Bogut is basically an above average center for one third of an NBA season and if your team can float that risk then he's worth signing. If you are desperate for a reliable post anchor and sign him hoping for that like Dallas then you end up like 2017 Dallas.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Libertine posted:

Bogut is basically an above average center for one third of an NBA season and if your team can float that risk then he's worth signing. If you are desperate for a reliable post anchor and sign him hoping for that like Dallas then you end up like 2017 Dallas.

When he plays he is one of the best defensive players in the NBA, even if his stats aren't gaudy. The "When he Plays" thing is the problem. The other problem is he is a relentless rear end in a top hat. However, he kept making fun of Mark Jackson on twitter for years so that is endearing. Almost makes up for him being a pizzagate believer.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Jack's Flow posted:

There's no way Portland would trade Lillard, right?

There would be riots in the street. But what this season has proven is that the Lillard/McCollum backcourt simply isn't working with this team. You need serious rim protectors and actually decent wing defenders so the the black hole on defense is negated.

You also can't trade Lillard because the odds of getting equal value in return is slim and even though McCollum is having a great couple of games, Lillard is better in almost every way. No team is going to trade a superstar for McCollum so the Blazers gain basically nothing.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Lockback posted:

When he plays he is one of the best defensive players in the NBA, even if his stats aren't gaudy. The "When he Plays" thing is the problem. The other problem is he is a relentless rear end in a top hat. However, he kept making fun of Mark Jackson on twitter for years so that is endearing. Almost makes up for him being a pizzagate believer.

Bogut getting people to believe this was the best Twitter trolling of 2016

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

tanglewood1420 posted:

Giannis got brought up exactly four times in the 65 page long pre-draft thread. To say he was under the radar is underselling it. It is mostly arguing about whether Oladipo or McLemore were more likely to develop a consistent jumper and everyone desperately hoping their team doesn't draft MCW.

I asked about Zach Lavine when he was coming out because I noticed he was an insane athlete and the basic response was he's ok but a fringe NBAer. Now he's winning dunk contests and shooting 3's at an above 40% clip.

I guess the point is that we're long past the days of the top 5 being the only good basketball players in the draft and we should start giving more hype earlier to mid-round picks (Free Papa G from the D league!)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

There would be riots in the street.

Bunch of Blazers fans tipping over bikes

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Curry for Lilliard straight up

bring Dame home, baby

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Westbrook's passing accuracy :discourse:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Cool Buff Man posted:

lol

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Enes Kanter starting to look like a 7 foot tall Freddie Mercury is weirding me out

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Cool Buff Man posted:

After spilling some perfectly fine cold-drip coffee from Chile.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Paul George and Cousins are the only 2 (realistic) options that I would take in exchange for CJ. And that's not likely because I think both teams are understandably going to try to re-sign their star players.

Otherwise you are looking at trading CJ for non-star players which only ever works if you get young players and are trying to rebuild which Portland isn't.

And trading Dame is a non-starter.

I think it's more likely Portland keeps both and tries to upgrade elsewhere.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Why are Lillard and McCollum such bad defenders other than just a de facto observation that they are?

Do they not give the defensive effort? Coaching? Are they just out-bodied by guys they have defend?

Like it seems to me that the easiest solution would be for them both to not just be such a collective disaster defensively but I don't know how you correct that. It seems like usually massive coaching staff changes are the only thing that reverse long-term bad defensive players, but I don't know if that's just my selective memory either.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I think the lesson to learn from Giannis is that super athletic players that just started playing competitive basketball that show promise and coordination are better bets than people like Joe Alexander, Jonathan bender, or Gerald Green.
I dream of a future where a prospect will lie about how he hasn't played basketball for that long to get drafted higher in the same way that he'll lie about his age.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Doltos posted:

I guess the point is that we're long past the days of the top 5 being the only good basketball players in the draft and we should start giving more hype earlier to mid-round picks (Free Papa G from the D league!)

That hasn't been a thing and shouldn't be since the 2011 draft, the best overall draft class since the Lebron one. Klay Thompson (11th), Kawhi Leonard (15th), Jimmy Butler (30th), and Isaiah Thomas (60th) all came from there as all-stars and/or all-nba players. Then you round it with Kemba, Parsons, both Morris brothers, Tobias Harris, TT, Jonas, etc.

Even the lovely Bennett draft had Rudy Gobert at 27th, McCollum at 10th, and Steven Adams at 12th.

The Bucks basically only still exist as a not-lovely franchise because John Hammond is the best drafter in the league, with the negative being loving awful at everything else GM-related.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Libertine posted:

Dallas has a bad record because 6 of their top 8 players were injured for the first monthly two.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Spacebump posted:

Dallas has a bad record because 6 of their top 8 players were injured for the first monthly two.

Yeah I'm not saying it's just Bogut. I live in DFW so I hear all the hottest takes about the Mavs season, but yeah it just mostly comes down to them being brutalized by injuries all over the roster.

I was just saying that for a roster to accommodate Bogut they have to have a lot of more post depth, because you know from about a decade of experience that he's probably going to miss 15-20 games.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

laffo that's the first play of the game too

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I feel like half the team thought they were in a zone.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The main reason why the Mccollum/Liliard backcourt won't succeed is that, even if they are average defenders, they give up too much size. It's a relatively short backcourt.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/hungarianjordan/status/816860066028683264

:allears:

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

I feel like he should get a point per shot for hitting the same spot on the backboard each time

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Holy poo poo they pull the Rondo special and don't even guard him past 15 feet

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
He's playing the long con. Come playoff time they won't guard him and he will average 45 points on 11-11 from 3 every game.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TBeats posted:

He's playing the long con. Come playoff time they won't guard him and he will average 45 points on 11-11 from 3 every game.

*The bulls finish 40-42, miss the playoffs.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The last two made me say holy poo poo out loud. That's solid brickwork.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lmao yeah they're both awful at navigating screens

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

quote:

After suffering a challenging, 115-107 loss to Milwaukee, Ezeli, in street clothes, addressed the team in the locker room with a stern speech centered on playing with urgency, sources told ESPN. Then two games later, after a crushing defeat in Memphis, Ezeli once again started giving a team speech, but he was cut short.
McCollum interrupted Ezeli in mid-sentence and told him that was enough, sources told ESPN. Portland was in the midst of an emotionally draining December, losing 11 of 13 games. Players were desperately pouring out every ounce of effort trying to change the trajectory of the season, and being lectured by someone who wasn’t even playing wasn’t received favorably.

(...)

And McCollum may have had some added motivation to tell Ezeli to zip it. According to ESPN.com, some members of the Blazers are weary of Ezeli’s inability to play through injury, considering he impressed at practice during training camp before shutting himself down with pain in the same knee that required arthroscopic surgery in February 2016 and more injections six months later. Those two treatments sandwiched his signing in July. Considering only $1 million of his contract’s second year is guaranteed, and Haynes suggested Ezeli will undergo season-ending surgery at some point this season, his career in Portland could be over before it ever starts. Save for the motivational speeches.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/NBAAllStar/status/817083734059089921

https://twitter.com/JCrossover/status/817091133968891906

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/CTowersCBS/status/817089269747552257

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm loving dying at Zaza.

To be honest I pretty much agree with these if you replace Wade with Derozen and Zaza with the Brow.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Ummm, what

How is Zaza

Umm

Sorry, this broke my brain a bit

How the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/HoniAhm/status/817090752941428737

• Locked thread