Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mokinokaro posted:

The ES1 races were okay (outside of being too human heavy I feel,) but they had a lot of weird poo poo caused by being too open with the community votes. Like one of the administrator heroes was literally GladOS from Portal because the Portal memes were big at the time. The main problem with ES1 is a lot of it just feels incomplete and bland.

ES2 is basically a reboot that will apparently tie into the universe established by Legend and Dungeon more. I'll expand on this post later.

(And I REALLY need to do some writeup for ES2 for the OP)

Ohh, gotcha. Dungeon of the Endless was silly, but in a way that worked - it wasn't trying to be an immersive 4X, but something else with a sillier tone. But ES being both bland and silly, erk. No thanks. I prefer the weird/tragic beasties in EL so far.

An observation about EL, as I play more into it: it's not as hand-holdy as Civ V is, in that it lets you move ahead turns without letting you know that hey, you built a settler and it's just sitting around in a city - or hey, your auto-exploring dude is crossing borders and making diplomatic trouble. It's...kind of frustrating, but that's just the learning curve I bet, especially as I'm only on turn 85 of my Broken Lords game. ... Wait, only 85? That felt like way longer - !

There's just a lot to keep track of that I don't have to in Civ, as Civ does it for me, and that makes this game a bit more mentally taxing, y'know? Good, but hoo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Endless Space 1 had a lot of growing pains to it, no doubt.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

StrixNebulosa posted:

An observation about EL, as I play more into it: it's not as hand-holdy as Civ V is, in that it lets you move ahead turns without letting you know that hey, you built a settler and it's just sitting around in a city - or hey, your auto-exploring dude is crossing borders and making diplomatic trouble. It's...kind of frustrating, but that's just the learning curve I bet

In the options for the game there's a very long list of things the game can notify you about, I believe, and a lot are turned off by default.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Delacroix posted:

The new music they added to EL a while back was the reason I picked it up again. :shobon: I would buy the games purely for the soundtrack

I feel much the same way, I really like the game don't get me wrong but the soundtrack to the game was absolutely amazing, some of them are in my day to day playlist I like them that much. Can't wait to hear what he has done for ES2.

https://soundcloud.com/flybyno/sets/endless-legend-soundtrack

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mameluke posted:

In the options for the game there's a very long list of things the game can notify you about, I believe, and a lot are turned off by default.

I'm going to play with that, thank you!

Also, another question for the thread - do you recommend standard or longer games for Endless Legend? I'm looking to turn the difficulty up from houseplant beginner level, and trying to decide what kind of pace I want. Who likes what and why?

edit:

:toot:

It is true that a house plant could win on the easiest difficulty level - I won! That was a good ride for learning how to play, and now I'm turning the difficulty up slightly and moving onto the bugs. :D

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 5, 2017

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Christ, if you're Empire, don't even bother about that over-colonization penalty: with the Era 2 tech bringing it up to -50%, three systems over the limit gave me a paltry penalty of -5~ approval.

Too bad that ES2 is still way too early access to really enjoy, but fuuuuuuck if it's not the slickest looking 4X I've ever played and I really want to play some more.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Too bad that ES2 is still way too early access to really enjoy, but fuuuuuuck if it's not the slickest looking 4X I've ever played and I really want to play some more.

Man, I've already bought the deluxe edition of ES2, it's in my steam library but I don't wanna play it until it's completely finished.
Daaaaaaaamn, the pain....... I really need every ounce of Force power to resist to push that "install" button!

:ughh:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

ES2 has possibly the sleekest interface among all the 4Xs, and gameplay mechanics - pops, politics, exploration are fantastic. Even in this early stage it's just great. I'm playing the new MOO to pass the time, but we're talking different leagues here.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
The combat in ES2 right now is terrible.

But that will be changed for the next major release IIRC

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

IAmTheRad posted:

The combat in ES2 right now is terrible.

But that will be changed for the next major release IIRC

The combat doesn't really exist yet.

Next major update was on schedule for this month before they went on holidays. Hopefully they're still on schedule.

EDIT: \/ they haven't detailed it yet, but they do want to give it some more complexity. Not TOO much though as they want non-watched combat to remain a viable option.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 5, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What changes about the combat?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

If I remember right the whole combat design statement basically consists of "cards are still in but one time only per fight, and also you set a fleet engagement stance and what ships are in what fleet and then the game does the rest." I'd imagine that could all be easily done before combat starts and then watching it is completely hands off.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm getting back into EL since I've burned out on Civ VI until it gets patched again, and I've forgotten all strategy for this game since it's so different. The only strategy I remember is to not settle your second city until right after you select your first government attribute, but after that it's a blur. I'm playing a BL game now where I've expanded out to like 9 districts and my approval and DPT are not nearly where they should be. What are the strategies concerning districts v new cities, how many cities you really should expand to in each science era (for the approval buffs), etc? Or are there guides online I can read or who are the good LP'ers who I can watch?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exRFQXX3oeg

Edit: There's an Update 2 preview stream in a couple hours from this post, 5pm CET, so I imagine this is going to be a part of it in addition to whatever else they're planning for it.

Onean fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 19, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah they said the stream would show off the next race.

I really hope they've made Horatio more interesting to play than in 1.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah they said the stream would show off the next race.

I really hope they've made Horatio more interesting to play than in 1.

Considering that the United Empire plays basically nothing like they did before, that's not unreasonable.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 19, 2017

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Has the stream started yet? Wondering if they're delayed or if my work network let's me on the page but not load anything.

e: nm, just went live

Overminty fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 19, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
If anyone's willing to give some highlights it'd be appreciated.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

The update will be available tonight on the beta branch. Apparently it's password protected but they'll be making it public on the site, facebook etc later.

Horatio's unique ability seems to be something called splicing. Their pop units can gain permanent fidsi boosts by splicing other races that settle on their planets. Their ships are more expensive than normal, because they have to be beautiful, but will be more versatile than others. Not clear on how that's the case.

There are 3 new minor factions, including the community created one. Former pets that collect endless artifacts? Wasn't concentrating at that point.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

New battle mechanics are in. Cards are back but you now arrange them into a deck. Looks like you can have 5 in said deck. There's a cooldown between swapping cards out but you can pay influence to bypass it. The battle setup now let's you arrange your ships into flotillas, so you can mix up long range, short etc.

There's a scan view in battle now. Lines represent ships trajectory and you can see their targets. Not sure entirely how useful this will be.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

The splicing bonus is tempered by a couple of things. The first is that it destroys one of the pop units you splice. The other is that the food requirement for pop growth goes up. The bonuses seem to be about 1/2 or 2/3rds of whatever the race normally has.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The idea is that the Horatio are perfecting themselves by using alien genes to turn themselves into perfect people that are better than everyone else.

It kills more and more alien population the more splices you've already done. So the 4th one takes 4 pops, etc.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Overminty posted:

Their ships are more expensive than normal, because they have to be beautiful,

You're welcome. :smug:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 19, 2017

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Overminty posted:

New battle mechanics are in. Cards are back but you now arrange them into a deck. Looks like you can have 5 in said deck. There's a cooldown between swapping cards out but you can pay influence to bypass it. The battle setup now let's you arrange your ships into flotillas, so you can mix up long range, short etc.

There's a scan view in battle now. Lines represent ships trajectory and you can see their targets. Not sure entirely how useful this will be.

Hrm, gonna have to take a look at this later to see how it all works. The combat system (especially in regards to how it plays into ship design and strategic resources) has been the biggest thing I've been worried about with this game.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Clarste posted:

The idea is that the Horatio are perfecting themselves by using alien genes to turn themselves into perfect people that are better than everyone else.

It kills more and more alien population the more splices you've already done. So the 4th one takes 4 pops, etc.

The fourth one they did on the stream only used 1 pop, don't know if it's just not been implemented as you say though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Tech tree has been revamped. It now has four quandrants that advance through tech eras separately. Advancing eras can sometimes unlock new techs automatically. There are also two kinds of possible connections between techs: mutually exclusive techs and soft-prerequisites. Soft-prerequisites give you a significant discount on the the more advanced tech as long as you already have the earlier tech. The example given was one marketplace tech making another one cheaper.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Overminty posted:

The fourth one they did on the stream only used 1 pop, don't know if it's just not been implemented as you say though.

Well, I might have mistook what I saw, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about that penalty. Specifically that you'd have to be careful about the order you splice them in.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

Clarste posted:

Well, I might have mistook what I saw, but I'm pretty sure they were talking about that penalty. Specifically that you'd have to be careful about the order you splice them in.

I was trying to be sneaky at work and had a small window open so maybe I just didn't see it properly :v:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Does the new tech tree basically 'force' you to use most of your points for colonization, or did they combine them/era advance unlocks?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

Does the new tech tree basically 'force' you to use most of your points for colonization, or did they combine them/era advance unlocks?

They didn't show it in that much detail. I'd imagine they at least combined them though, since they seemed to be aware it was a problem. There also seemed to be much fewer nodes total, although I can't say I was counting.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 19, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Overminty posted:

The update will be available tonight on the beta branch. Apparently it's password protected but they'll be making it public on the site, facebook etc later.

It's up and they decided to not password protect it.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If anyone gets a chance to play it, I'd love to hear what they think about the new combat system and how it ties into the rest of the game.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Clarste posted:

Tech tree has been revamped. It now has four quandrants that advance through tech eras separately. Advancing eras can sometimes unlock new techs automatically. There are also two kinds of possible connections between techs: mutually exclusive techs and soft-prerequisites. Soft-prerequisites give you a significant discount on the the more advanced tech as long as you already have the earlier tech. The example given was one marketplace tech making another one cheaper.

I just hope they ease up on Tech 1 ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT stuff. Like a good chunk of the tech tree for level 1 is 100% needed like titanium resource gathering. If it's needed by every single race, why not just open it up to be unlocked once reaching the next level instead of just a standard tech? It's like researching the ability to hit an attack button or use an item button in an RPG. Should just open that tech slot for something more interesting that helps instead of a necessity. I found that I was still researching level 1 tech well into the 2nd era.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I just hope they ease up on Tech 1 ABSOLUTE REQUIREMENT stuff. Like a good chunk of the tech tree for level 1 is 100% needed like titanium resource gathering. If it's needed by every single race, why not just open it up to be unlocked once reaching the next level instead of just a standard tech? It's like researching the ability to hit an attack button or use an item button in an RPG. Should just open that tech slot for something more interesting that helps instead of a necessity. I found that I was still researching level 1 tech well into the 2nd era.

Yeah, that was an extremely common complaint so I'd be surprised if they didn't address it. Actually, the new tech tree in general looks an awful lot like what I suggested on their forums, so I'm pretty optimistic in that regard.

The patch just finished downloading though, so I guess I'll find out soon.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah way too many of the "tech choices" were really just "basic functionality" in EL and it was real dumb.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just at a glance, there are now only 2 techs per quandrant at tier 1, instead of like 4-5. More options open up as you get deeper, but at least you won't be stuck in tier 1 forever. There also appear to be two chains of colonization techs running down the tree giving each other discounts.

I'll probably have more impressions once I actually play the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, it's basically unplayable right now. I guess it's not optimized or something, but it takes forever to calculate turns, possibly because of all the pirate and civilian ships they added.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Patch hasn't hit steam yet, apparently?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Slaan posted:

Patch hasn't hit steam yet, apparently?

Opt-in beta channel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I am trying to figure out the mowgwai sea pirate race from endless legends's latest expansion and what is up with the hero ability "cult of tides"?

Sounds like you can get up to +30 happiness per tile of exploited ocean. Okay what does that mean. Those bastions out in the ocean with free poo poo they fart out that aren't a part of your city and literally cannot ever be? If I stick the hero in one, just as a garrison, and I honestly don't think I can even do that, the city he isn't in will get +10, 20, or 30 happiness? This skill looks like it does nothing.

I mean just having ocean front property didn't make anyone happy. The water tiles aren't +10 happiness. The docks aren't. This isn't civ where there are shoals of fish or pearls just off shore I can work so if it isn't the independant sea thingies I have no idea what it means. And if it is then I have no idea what it means.

I can't even find someone else confused about this. Like someone asking "hey what's up with this" and nobody answers him for six months but at least I know i'm not alone.

This race is really hard to project power landward. Only the awful support units can even get out of the water but they die to actual boats I don't know what good they are. I think you're supposed to rely, wholly, on independent faction units?