Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Omg, sometimes Chicago drops two Gears at once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I had three. :smug:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nate RFB posted:

I was being 99% facetious, I know FGO's deal. But unless it comes out in English I'm never playing it.

Personally I feel that the various Fate spinoffs have completely diluted anything that was remotely cool or interesting about the original series. I was never even really sold on hollow ataraxia (a game I still have not played), to say nothing of Apocrypha, GO, strange fake, Extra, Extella, etc. etc. etc. After a point it just kind of becomes a blur and the Servants they come up with is really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I'd much rather they focus on bringing some new properties into that universe. Remember Mahotsukai no Yoru? I barely do.

Hollow Ataraxia is silly and therefore good

I also won't rag on people about not playing the game because it is a soul sucking machine and you can just read story summaries, but you don't need to read JP to understand the gameplay

Compendium fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 5, 2017

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

HiveCommander posted:

Dumplings CE on Musashi? I'm guessing this is left over from swapping her out with Okita, but it's not much use when she only has 1 quick card

I'm just lazy to swap out the Dangerous Beast CE for a male Hakuno CE.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Speaking of mat farming, what is the best way to get these billion dragon fangs I need? Rider day? That one area in America?

I literally need dozens on dozens of dragon fangs for various people. I'd like to know where to begin this hellish grind.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

Speaking of mat farming, what is the best way to get these billion dragon fangs I need? Rider day? That one area in America?

I literally need dozens on dozens of dragon fangs for various people. I'd like to know where to begin this hellish grind.

I asked about this earlier and Nyaa linked a handy guide:

Nyaa posted:

Best place to get gear is the last node of america, which have a near 50% drop rate.

Use this guide for farming mats.

So for fangs it looks like Deming in the US is best?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Got Illya and her loser dad. :D

With Shirou's Buster 5* that I've now am able to Limit Break I got the complete fanart of the Emiya family!

e: I forgot I had Rikiya's autograph. It's going to take me a long time to get autograph's for every Servant I own. :(

e2: Blargh, Limited / Zero Over is only an additional 5% Buster damager when LB'd. But hey, max 2000 attack I guess and it's pretty to have fou stars? :shrug:

Or is that 5% a "lot" for some Servant/Combinations?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 5, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is it just me or is the "8% increased damage to Buster, Arts, and Quick" 5* CE kind of lovely when compared with the ones that give 25% to a single type? Like, even if you put the 25% one on a servant with just 2 of a card type, that's basically equivalent to 0.4*25 or a 10% overall damage increase over the long term. The one time the 8% one would be better is if you for some reason wanted to equip, say, Limited/Over on a servant with just one Buster card.

The only potential exception I can think of is a situation where a servant has 3 of a given card type and a damage NP with a different card type (like, for example, Ilya), but even then I'm pretty sure you'd generally be better off with the 25% Arts CE.

Speaking of Ilya, how good is she? Seems like she is kind of a niche character from what I've read, though I like her animations from the times I've used her as a support.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Yea, +25% is better.

Ilya is a great servant. Her third skill will remove her own np debuff.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Ilya's biggest problem is that she's a Caster with inexplicably awful NP gain. She's got three Arts cards, but she has neither Territory Creation nor some form of High Speed Chanting nor particularly high NP gain per hit. It's like they wanted to balance out her natural 3% NP gain per turn but went way too hard the other direction.
Meanwhile Merlin gets 5% NP per turn and still gets Territory Creation.

Other than that, her big gimmick is that she's a single target NP Buster servant. You'd theoretically want to use her for big Assassin bosses, but because all Casters inherently do x0.9 damage I think the math usually works out so that you're better off using a Berserker instead. Casters are just forced into support roles in this game. :shrug:

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In practice Merlin gets way more than 5% a turn, because you should never not be under the effects of his NP.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

In practice Merlin gets way more than 5% a turn, because you should never not be under the effects of his NP.

Yeah, once Merlin winds up it's insane, and his NP effects also seem to stack if you cast it again before the previous one runs out. He basically can give the entire party (at least) 5% NP per turn in perpetuity.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, once Merlin winds up it's insane, and his NP effects also seem to stack if you cast it again before the previous one runs out. He basically can give the entire party (at least) 5% NP per turn in perpetuity.

I did this throughout all of Babylonia and the final chapter friend support willing even against Riders, it was fantastic.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Stealing post from beast lair:

quote:

In a match where Illya uses her NP with support Waver and BHG versus Sanzou on the same, Illya wins. No second question. Sanzou doesn't benefit from going second or third where Illya does an in a comp for turn 1 final battle wipes, thus Illya pulls ahead even in events. Where Sanzou only has up to 20% NP Damage Up that stacks additively with BHG, Illya has up to 70~100% Buster Up that stacks multiplicatively with BHG at only 100% Overcharge. DPAttack is key if you're looking to speed-run event battles, anyway. Or take down hard non-raid bosses.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm not entirely sure where you got "Xuanzhang does more damage" in my post, but I didn't say that.

EDIT: Though if you're just making a general comment on Ilya, then yeah. She does more damage than Xuanzhang. It'd be kind of weird if she didn't, what with the two separate Buster buffs she has going on. But you'd need her at NP2+ before you can even start talking about Overcharge, so that's kind of a weird argument to make in her favor.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 5, 2017

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

It's the part "math about berseker being better alternatives over these doomed support casters"

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 5, 2017

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Is it just me or is the "8% increased damage to Buster, Arts, and Quick" 5* CE kind of lovely when compared with the ones that give 25% to a single type? Like, even if you put the 25% one on a servant with just 2 of a card type, that's basically equivalent to 0.4*25 or a 10% overall damage increase over the long term. The one time the 8% one would be better is if you for some reason wanted to equip, say, Limited/Over on a servant with just one Buster card.

The only potential exception I can think of is a situation where a servant has 3 of a given card type and a damage NP with a different card type (like, for example, Ilya), but even then I'm pretty sure you'd generally be better off with the 25% Arts CE.

Speaking of Ilya, how good is she? Seems like she is kind of a niche character from what I've read, though I like her animations from the times I've used her as a support.

Generally focusing on one card type is better, but remember that there's a difference between 'damage of X cards' and 'effectiveness of X cards'. Doesn't matter much for Busters, but Quick and Artes gain NP and Star gen from improved effectiveness.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I spent like 50 minutes on a huge effort post before I realized I didn't actually even care that much. Why is it that all I do in this thread is get into dumb arguments? :negative:

Anyways, the cliffnotes:

I grabbed an Ilya and a Kintoki off my support list, used their buffs and slapped on Shakespeare's Enchant + the Battle Suit's attack buff, and let them loose on an Assassin. Kintoki's already done more damage, and he hasn't even gotten a critical on that last Buster card yet.

In a completely controlled direct comparison I would agree that Ilya would've done more damage here (Kintoki doesn't normally have a Buster buff, Ilya had Prisma Cosmos instead of a damage CE on, etc), but nobody cares about those in this game or else Jeanne Alter wouldn't be considered the best. Both Ilya and Xuanzhang can't Brave Buster Chain, so they've automatically got a lower damage output than Kintoki, Raiko, or hell even Berserker Lancelot. And that's before you get into the "Berserkers always have at least a x1.1 multiplier, Casters always have a x0.9" thing. Which I still think is really dumb.

Also Ilya, Xuanzhang, and I think Nursery Rhyme are like the only three Casters really built for offense. So generally you actually are better off taking a Berserker to an Assassin fight than a Caster. That's why most people consider Assassin bosses so annoying, actually, because despite the silly huge glut of Casters they tend to be pretty bad at hitting things.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

I spent like 50 minutes on a huge effort post before I realized I didn't actually even care that much. Why is it that all I do in this thread is get into dumb arguments? :negative:

Anyways, the cliffnotes:

I grabbed an Ilya and a Kintoki off my support list, used their buffs and slapped on Shakespeare's Enchant + the Battle Suit's attack buff, and let them loose on an Assassin. Kintoki's already done more damage, and he hasn't even gotten a critical on that last Buster card yet.

In a completely controlled direct comparison I would agree that Ilya would've done more damage here (Kintoki doesn't normally have a Buster buff, Ilya had Prisma Cosmos instead of a damage CE on, etc), but nobody cares about those in this game or else Jeanne Alter wouldn't be considered the best. Both Ilya and Xuanzhang can't Brave Buster Chain, so they've automatically got a lower damage output than Kintoki, Raiko, or hell even Berserker Lancelot. And that's before you get into the "Berserkers always have at least a x1.1 multiplier, Casters always have a x0.9" thing. Which I still think is really dumb.

Also Ilya, Xuanzhang, and I think Nursery Rhyme are like the only three Casters really built for offense. So generally you actually are better off taking a Berserker to an Assassin fight than a Caster. That's why most people consider Assassin bosses so annoying, actually, because despite the silly huge glut of Casters they tend to be pretty bad at hitting things.

One advantage Illya has in this situation is that she won't fold like tissue paper if said assassin decides to focus on her for a round

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Kintoki killed it in one turn so it doesn't really matter!

Best defense is a good offense and all that. :v:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I can't argue with you using kinoki bro against me. He is too awesome.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well in any case, this argument made me decide to go roll for Illya.

Naturally I didn't get jack poo poo. :suicide:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Anyways, the cliffnotes:

I recognize that oddly leveled Kintoki!!

I really should grind out a ton of exp and finish grailing him.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I have had shoddy luck with Zerkers when it comes to surviving so less optimal damage output is fine. Illya should still noticeably outperform Medea and Fran.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I usually save Kintoki as my final unit to clean up anything that's still alive or to do nearly 100k damage and stun to anything that is griefing me. He doesn't have a ton of survivability, but I just need to kill the thing before he dies.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I have my kinoki on front row. He kills everythings before he die.

I have decided to dump every quartz on kinoki day to get as much np up as possible because he is all i need in life.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 5, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of front/back rows, is there some generally accepted best way to organize them? Like, is it better to have your survivors or high dps in the front or back (assuming that the goal is to defeat strong enemies, rather than just clearing easier content). I've always had Jeanne last since she can last a really long time by herself (since she can use her NP ever 3-4 turns), but I'm wondering if maybe that's not the best idea.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

It is case by case for servant, own team, and enemy team composition.

Jeanne is either:

Front row: soak damage and protect the whole team over her long life span.

Last row: last ditch attempt at solo tank murder with occational heal and np dodge

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Another question I've been meaning to ask also just came to mind. One issue I frequently run into is trying to decide whether to use a NP or wait until the rest of the party has their NPs charged so they can be used in a chain. I usually do the latter out of some sort of obsessive compulsion, but the problem is that it effectively ends up wasting a bunch of NP in many cases (since the first person to complete their NP just sits there a turn or two waiting on the others). I imagine there's no universal answer to this and it depends on stuff like how good the bonus is from overcharging the NPs in question*, but I have a feeling generally speaking it's probably best to not do what I'm doing and to just shoot off NPs as soon as they finish charging (unless there's some specific reason not to, like being on the 2nd wave and there just being some almost-dead enemy left).

* Arturia, for example, gets like 5% added to her next NP bar for each 100% overcharge, which is total poo poo and not really worth it since she can easily get more than 5% most turns.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ytlaya posted:

Another question I've been meaning to ask also just came to mind. One issue I frequently run into is trying to decide whether to use a NP or wait until the rest of the party has their NPs charged so they can be used in a chain. I usually do the latter out of some sort of obsessive compulsion, but the problem is that it effectively ends up wasting a bunch of NP in many cases (since the first person to complete their NP just sits there a turn or two waiting on the others). I imagine there's no universal answer to this and it depends on stuff like how good the bonus is from overcharging the NPs in question*, but I have a feeling generally speaking it's probably best to not do what I'm doing and to just shoot off NPs as soon as they finish charging (unless there's some specific reason not to, like being on the 2nd wave and there just being some almost-dead enemy left).

* Arturia, for example, gets like 5% added to her next NP bar for each 100% overcharge, which is total poo poo and not really worth it since she can easily get more than 5% most turns.

Depends on the NP really. For example, Jeanne Alter charges up pretty fast and doesn't get much from overcharge, so I prefer to use her NP as part of a Brave Chain (bonus if I can get Buster chain as well) for massive single target burst.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh my god grinding for wizard gems.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oh my god grinding for wizard gems.

When it comes to grinding lower level gems, is it better to do one of the lower-AP dailies instead of the 40AP one?

Speaking of ascension dailies, Assassin is tomorrow - I can finally get Jack fully ascended!

Kintoki summoning as well, which is tempting but I've decided to put all effort towards Scathach instead (I don't really have anyone else who would go well in a Buster team).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

When it comes to grinding lower level gems, is it better to do one of the lower-AP dailies instead of the 40AP one?

Speaking of ascension dailies, Assassin is tomorrow - I can finally get Jack fully ascended!

Kintoki summoning as well, which is tempting but I've decided to put all effort towards Scathach instead (I don't really have anyone else who would go well in a Buster team).

Yeah I'm doing 10 AP since it averages to 1 per run; it's sooo tedious though but I'm like halfway there.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Could be worse; hearts have about a 5% droprate and the 40ap caster daily is the only place to get it (An uncommon drop from an uncommon mob is the worst)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

HiveCommander posted:

Could be worse; hearts have about a 5% droprate and the 40ap caster daily is the only place to get it (An uncommon drop from an uncommon mob is the worst)

Yeah some of those drops and the amounts you need is just obnoxious and glad I planned ahead my ascensions during events (usually).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah some of those drops and the amounts you need is just obnoxious and glad I planned ahead my ascensions during events (usually).

I just grab everything I can and then spend it however I feel like.

This is why my servants aren't well-leveled.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

I do 20 for blues and 30 for reds, I average a bit over 1.5 a run for each generally + more assorted ascension mats.

give me more spooky ghost servants dropping void refuse so I can level jack's heal

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
And now I need 2 plumes to finish ascending Illya... Damnit 9.6% drop rate.

If it were like 10 I'd just shrug and wait for Sunday where it doubles to a whopping 17% but two seems doable just to get it all done.

But for Waver's and presumably Illya's skills NOPE. Waiting for the next event.

e: I did it!

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 8, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Yay, I got Scathach with just 2 10-rolls. Gonna need to farm Lancer gems, though; used most of mine on Enkidu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I scraped together 3 quartz and managed to pull Atalanta. Hell, i'm happy