Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Unless he's a starter I don't see a way Draymond makes the all star team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

The Glumslinger posted:

Ummm, what

How is Zaza

Umm

Sorry, this broke my brain a bit

How the gently caress?

He was close last year, and apparently moving to the Warriors only redoubled his fans efforts.

All of Georgia votes for Zaza, every day, on every computer they use. They're second only to Chinese fans in all star game mobilization.

I like to think of the fan vote being changed to 50% of the ballot as the Zaza Rule.

Also SMH at Rose having more votes than Lowry, gently caress off forever NY.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

attackmole posted:

He was close last year, and apparently moving to the Warriors only redoubled his fans efforts.

All of Georgia votes for Zaza, every day, on every computer they use. They're second only to Chinese fans in all star game mobilization.

I like to think of the fan vote being changed to 50% of the ballot as the Zaza Rule.

Man, Eastern Europe sure knows how to rig elections, I guess

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mark Jackson was right!

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Wow, nice. I'm also happy to see Embiid getting more votes than the digital athlete.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

attackmole posted:

At least Yao was really, really good for most of his career.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

attackmole posted:

I don't think it's NY voting for him, just name recognition. Besides, you guys have an entire country to stuff ballots. Get up.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Paul Zuvella posted:

At least Yao was really, really good for most of his career.

Once a year I get heart pains when I look at all-star voting and remember what Yao could have been

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

JEREMY loving LIN HAS MORE VOTES THAN KEMBA??

I hate all of you

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Wade. Ugh.

Zaza though. :allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

boxcarhobo posted:

JEREMY loving LIN HAS MORE VOTES THAN KEMBA??

I hate all of you

Yes Asian dude has more votes than random black dude from America.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If Zaza gets in, I'm curious to what the ASG ratings in Georgia will be.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

:yeah:

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
So this accounts for 50%, the rest is 25% media and 25 players right?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/CTowersCBS/status/817089269747552257

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The media hosed Anthony Davis by wrong voting last season, correct this mistake by making Zaza an all-star

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hahahaah

Good on many levels.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Spacebump posted:

If Zaza gets in, I'm curious to what the ASG ratings in Georgia will be.

One. It's all one Georgian teenager with a botnet that spans the globe

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Someone pointed out that the New Orelans arena is called the Smoothie King Center

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Wait to people actually think Draymond Green is an all star this season?

I'm seriously asking.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Wait to people actually think Draymond Green is an all star this season?

I'm seriously asking.

He's a DPOY contender so, yeah probably.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

When you consider players like Derrick Favors, Blake Griffin, etc. are hampered by injury or recovering, the forward/center spot is spotty. I would kinda bet Marc Gasol either bows out or is injured by the time February rolls around.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Sure? GS has the best defense in the league and he's the clear #1 reason for that, and with 12 guys you have a fair amount of wiggle room.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lockback posted:

If that's your logic than Rudy Gobert should be an all star way before Draymond.

e: Kawhi, Durant, Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins are all performing considerably better than Draymond.

KAT, Blake, Gasol all have legitimate arguments that they have better cases than Draymond.

Gordon Hayward, Rudy Gobert, Lamarcus Aldridge, and DeAndre Jordan all have similar cases.

I honestly just don't see him deserving a spot unless you say KAT, Davis, and Cousins don't get in because their teams suck.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 5, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That requires voters to actually know who Rudy Gobert is

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Gobert will probably be an all star.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hassan WHITESIDE got 3rd in dpoy last year, seriously no one in media cares about Gobert

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Lockback posted:

Ah yes, the one quality that makes for good watching at the all star game

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/817074114171113472

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Tae posted:

Hassan WHITESIDE got 3rd in dpoy last year, seriously no one in media cares about Gobert

woah I didn't realize the Jazz were doing so well. Somehow my eyes just skipped over them every time I looked at the standings, I thought they were down there in the 8 seed morass.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Paul Zuvella posted:

If that's your logic than Rudy Gobert should be an all star way before Draymond.

I am ok with this. Draymond is better offensively than Gobert by a fair bit and only a little behind defensively. I wouldn't start Draymond but I absolutely think he should be on the short list for all-star bench.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Zuvella posted:

Unless he's a starter I don't see a way Draymond makes the all star team.

Let's think this through. I'm gonna assume Zaza gets shafted from the media and player vote. Also I'm gonna assume that Canada rallies and votes Derozan above Wade, because gently caress you Wade.

East Starters:
Lebron
Giannis
Love
Irving
Derozan

West Starters:
Durant
Leonard
Davis
Curry
Harden

Now, I'm pretty sure the coaches are using the same roster criteria as last time. Each team gets two more guards, three more frontcourt players, and two wildcards.

East:

Frontcourt:
Jimmy Butler is a lock. Paul George is...probably a lock?

That leaves Anthony, Porzingis, Horford, Drummond and Whiteside as contenders. Maybe Ibaka too? I don't think Parker or Embiid are getting voted in by coaches because they usually skew towards old guys.

Guards: Lowry is a lock. I'd say Thomas is a lock too, but Wall could also take that second spot.

Contenders: Wall, Wade, Kemba, Beal,

So we've got one spot leftover on the frontcourt, plus the two wild cards. I'm thinking Whiteside and Wall for sure, and then the last spot is up for grabs. I'd give it to Kemba, but who knows what the coaches will do. Wade might get the legacy vote.

West

Frontcourt:
Cousins is a lock. I'd like to think Marc Gasol is a lock, but I might be wrong.

Other guys: Green, Aldridge, Towns, Jordan, (I'm assuming Griffin is injured and doesn't count), Gobert, Hayward

Guards:
Westbrook is a lock. Chris Paul is a lock.

Other guys: Thompson, Conley, Eric Gordon (probably not but he's leading the league in three's so he gets bonus points), Lillard.

So there's one spot in the frontcourt up for grabs, and two wild cards. I think Lillard gets a wild card spot for sure.

So most of the bickering will be for the last frontcourt and single wild card spot.

Hayward's the PER leader of the frontcourt guys I listed, but who knows if the coaches will remember if Utah exists or not. Also people might get confused because he doesn't feel like a frontcourt player. Jordan is boring, but he got first team all NBA last year and has yet to make an all star game. You could give it to Thompson and Green for the whole "rewarding success" narrative, it certainly wouldn't be any dumber than the time Atlanta had four all stars. Towns is good but coaches tend to vote for older players unless the young guy is clearly better than everyone else.

If it were up to me I'd flip some coins to decide which two to take from Towns, Gobert, Conley, and Hayward but I have no loving idea how those last two spots are gonna shake out, it's going to be really close.

TL;DR: Yes, there's ways he can make it in, but it's not a lock and as always the west is so stacked that no one knows what the coaches are going to do and someone goes home with hurt feelings.

If there was one of the Warriors big four I'd leave off this year it would probably be Klay tbh.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 5, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Ah yes, the one quality that makes for good watching at the all star game

Well, deserves a spot vs make for a good game. If it's the latter start Rubio.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hot take, I would be very surprised if Chris Paul goes to the all-star game. The guy's been injured for like a while now, so either he won't get enough votes for games missed or he'll bow out to recover more.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Tae posted:

Hot take, I would be very surprised if Chris Paul goes to the all-star game. The guy's been injured for like a while now, so either he won't get enough votes for games missed or he'll bow out to recover more.
He's missed 8 games and is back tonight

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Tae posted:

Hassan WHITESIDE got 3rd in dpoy last year

Deservedly so.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I just don't think that Draymond will get a nod from the coaches. Golden State with comfortably have 3 all stars. Are coaches going to reward another one to Golden State? Or are they going to give a 2nd all star to the Spurs who are 2 games behind them. Or make DeAndre "First Team All NBA" Jordan a first time all star? Or give it to an up and comer like KAT?

If the Warriors had like 2 or 3 losses maybe but its not like they are running away with the West or there are a lack of options. For all the jokes that the West is kind of worse this year it's kind of rediculous how stacked the ballot is. George Hill has an honest to god argument for being an All Star.

George Hill!

e: The Jazz are going to have an All-Star, they've been too good to not. It's going to be either Gorbert or Hayward (Probably Hayward) and that will hurt Green's chances a ton.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 5, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Whiteside was straight up bad for half of the season last year, people just forget because he was good the first 1/4 and the last 1/4 of the season.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
George Hill has played in 13 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Paul Zuvella posted:

I just don't think that Draymond will get a nod from the coaches. Golden State with comfortably have 3 all stars. Are coaches going to reward another one to Golden State? Or are they going to give a 2nd all star to the Spurs who are 2 games behind them. Or make DeAndre "First Team All NBA" Jordan a first time all star? Or give it to an up and comer like KAT?

If the Warriors had like 2 or 3 losses maybe but its not like they are running away with the West or there are a lack of options. For all the jokes that the West is kind of worse this year it's kind of rediculous how stacked the ballot is. George Hill has an honest to god argument for being an All Star.

George Hill!

George Hill is good but has played in like two and a half games.

Also I don't think GS comfortably has 3 all stars. Durant and Curry are locks, I'm not sold on the other two. Honestly, maybe I'm getting swayed by *narrative reasons* but I feel like either both Thompson and Green are going to get in, or neither.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 5, 2017

• Locked thread