Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Docjowles posted:

Digging up this old post for an obscure protip I ran into today. If you back Rundeck with mysql, holy poo poo, create these two indices immediately:

code:
ALTER TABLE workflow_workflow_step ADD INDEX workflow_commands_id ( workflow_commands_id );
ALTER TABLE workflow_workflow_step ADD INDEX commands_idx ( commands_idx );
As Rundeck grew more popular with our dev teams, poo poo like just loading a page in the GUI started to take over a minute. Adding these indices immediately brought them back to reasonable 0.5-1 second response times. Found it buried in a github issue comment. Not, you know, the documentation or just part of the default schema or something sane like that.

Also, set up a cron job to purge job execution history older than a month (or some threshold, just don't let it grow indefinitely). DB entries and on-disk log files. After a while we got to the point where it took like 12 hours to restart the service because it needs to read in every log file and run some expensive DB operation on it :downs: And deletes themselves are slow so you want to get ahead of the problem.

For a tool made by a company named "Simplify Ops", it's loving amazing how terrible and difficult Rundeck itself is to operate. It's like the posterchild for pre-DevOps trash someone wrote without ever doing usability testing or thinking about how it would be run in production, and then threw over the wall for users and ops to deal with. I guess that's where their Rundeck Pro upsell comes in to polish the turd. And yet despite all that, it's still a super valuable tool once you get it configured properly and train a few folks on how to navigate its garbage UI. A+ idea, C- execution.
Great summary of our historical experiences using Rundeck. I've been mulling over fronting Ansible with Jenkins or something similar. I hadn't previously considered that a thing worth doing, but the new Blue Ocean stuff actually looks pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Internet Explorer posted:

Confluence works great for documentation. Has a full history, audit trail, and ability to compare changes between versions of pages easily.
You can also integrate LDAP, so eventually I'll be turning mine into an Intranet where each department can access their own bits.

But on the whole it's pretty clean and easy to use and understand.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

Love how this guy apparently started wearing suits 24/7 because one user respected him.
https://youtu.be/Oqp5zI4Ng_s
I thought this was going to be The Report of the Week

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sounds like a great way to get mugged/ridiculed.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

It takes the attention away from his ridiculous, unkempt facial hair.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

MF_James posted:

... Currently we have sharepoint for IPAM, network maps and high level stuff like that...

I am so triggered right now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
At a change review meeting today I sarcastically congratulated everyone on successfully completing their budgets without any input from IT (since none is really needed)
Cue the shitstorm:

every department head @3pm posted:

Hey we just got back from holiday and realized that we haven't done any budgeting yet even though it's due on Monday. We're going to need you to run projections for next years budget on literally anything that has a button or switch or screen. Especially printers. Also, we need it by COB today. Thanks!
I'm gonna dick around, watch cat videos, take a looooooooong nap when everyone goes home, then re-send the email I sent to them a couple months ago.

I'm gonna need all the comp time I can get to use on top of the 5 days bereavement leave..

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

An e-mail from a recruiter came in. Their client is hiring Windows 10 deployment techs and mentions being confident that applicants can learn the skills on the job.

Required: Computer Science degree

I bet it pays $15/hr too :yayclod:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

air- posted:

An e-mail from a recruiter came in. Their client is hiring Windows 10 deployment techs and mentions being confident that applicants can learn the skills on the job.

How is this poo poo not criminal yet? You don't need a goddamn college degree to deploy Windows.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

How is this poo poo not criminal yet? You don't need a goddamn college degree to deploy Windows.

How on earth do you think that would qualify for an actual criminal offense?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

While you don't need a college degree to deploy Windows, the number of jobs available are still limited and there's no shortage of unemployed with college degrees.

So, rather than open the position up to those with and without degrees, it's better for them to limit the pool and latch on to someone who is potentially in more debt and therefore more desperate and less mobile.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Hence why I mentioned potential abysmal pay and I bet it's contract too.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CLAM DOWN posted:

It was hyperbole.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

air- posted:

When I was looking last I kept getting offers for these types. $14/hr and you need your own car, in New York City.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

air- posted:

I'm curious what kind of skills will be learned in this position.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Vargatron posted:

It was hyperbole.

They don't have hyperbole in Canada. They traded it for a smug sense of superiority.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

They don't have hyperbole in Canada. They traded it for a smug sense of superiority.
Which province are you from?

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Frank Viola posted:

I'm curious what kind of skills will be learned in this position.

How to not get swindled into a poo poo job for one, hopefully

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Which province are you from?

He's clearly from Toronto

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

adorai posted:

Generally speaking, the first part of your statement is helped IMMENSELY by ensuring the business runs efficiently.

This presumes that the business is already well run enough that the persons in charge of staffing and compensation understand how IT as an organization can best help the business and how individuals within the department are contributing toward or working against those goals. Those aren't a given and there are a lot of dysfunctional organizations out there that create perverse incentives and are then shocked when their employees act perversely. It's a top down, not bottom problem and complaining about individuals acting selfishly or cynically often misses the real problem, which is that the corporate structure is probably encouraging that.

A small example from some well intentioned ownership: I work for a VAR where all of the engineers do both pre and post-sales work. Our bonus structure has gone through a few permutations and one of them involved a bonus split where you got a flat bonus if you hit your target number of post-sales days, but you had a variable (and potentially much higher) bonus that was based on helping to close sales. Additionally, if multiple pre-sales engineers worked on a project only one got credit as the principal architect. We make 75% of our money from sales and only 25% from services, so in theory prioritizing pre-sales work for the engineers should translate into more sales, and more money, and higher bonuses for everyone.

Instead what you got was engineers arguing over who got what pre-sales work, being unwilling to ask for help when they were overloaded because they didn't want to lose principal architect standing on any deal, BOMs and SOWs that were rushed and sometimes incorrect, and a dearth of people to actually do the implementations because everyone was trying to load up their calendar with pre-sales leaving a few people stuck doing all of the post-sales (and trying to work through rushed SOWs and incomplete BOMs) and getting lower bonuses because they never had time to sell anything.

It was a mess and thankfully ownership recognized it fairly quickly and changed things so that everyone gets a targeted bonus based on overall company profitability. Now most of those problems are gone because the incentives are different.

In a small company like mine it's pretty easy to tell when you've incentivized bad behavior because the ownership is very involved day to day, but as companies get larger and there are more middle management layers it's easy for a department to end up really dysfunctional due to poor or absent management, but still be functional enough to keep everything from just falling apart.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

We even go so far as to divide our vertical/account SEs from our practice SEs. The vertical sales engineers have their bonus calculated on the performance of the account managers they support, while the practice sales engineers (me) have theirs based upon meeting targets for their specific practice area.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Has anyone ever come across a large company (Thousands of Employees) that had an internal IT Policy to ban the use of RDP to servers only use Console Access for VM Management?

I've never personally come across it until today. Is this really a legitimate thing or paranoia? I'm under the impression with MFA, Network Security Boundaries, Rights Management, etc. it's a non-issue.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Has anyone ever come across a large company (Thousands of Employees) that had an internal IT Policy to ban the use of RDP to servers only use Console Access for VM Management?

I've never personally come across it until today. Is this really a legitimate thing or paranoia? I'm under the impression with MFA, Network Security Boundaries, Rights Management, etc. it's a non-issue.

My guess would be that it's to prevent people from setting up their own jump boxes to bypass other security measures.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Tab8715 posted:

super common in the finance world

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

We do the opposite for security reasons, and heavily use things like RDWeb, RemoteApps, RDG, etc

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Sepist fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 12, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Tab8715 posted:

Well, it opens your network up to more potential attack vectors as well as bad administrative practices and there's very little reason you need to be logging on to a server desktop regularly, so yea, it's certainly a thing some very security conscious shops do. Micro-segmentation will make it even more common.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sepist posted:

My first round of interviews with presidio went very well so hopefully I'll be having my second one in a few weeks.

Since this will be completely hands off I'm slightly concerned my technical skills are going to decline badly, but I guess this situation was bound to happen.

Are you going into presales or something? Our vertical SEs might as well be smarter account managers, but the rest of us still do product demos and proofs of concept for customers.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Yea presales. My old boss who has the same job there said it's completely hands off.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's definitely something to consider. Once you head down that road, it's kind of hard to come back.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

We need to address credential creep the same way we address healthcare: incompetently, with cryptic legislation.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

You can apply and get hired for jobs that you do not meet all of the requirements. If you have relevant experience an employer is not going to throw your resume out because you are missing a computer science degree.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lampey posted:

You can apply and get hired for jobs that you do not meet all of the requirements. If you have relevant experience an employer is not going to throw your resume out because you are missing a computer science degree.

I had a discussion after the interview for my current job with the cio about how i was unqualified for my position. I sold him on my ability to grow into it and got the job.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

big money big clit posted:

Well, it opens your network up to more potential attack vectors as well as bad administrative practices and there's very little reason you need to be logging on to a server desktop regularly, so yea, it's certainly a thing some very security conscious shops do. Micro-segmentation will make it even more common.

Well, yes of course it's a vulnerability but is it really bad enough to the point where we're personally limiting our ability to manage our own environment? It's analogues to "security through obscurity!".

I'd agree too that you shouldn't as a best-practice RDP'ing into servers on a regular basis use Remote Powershell or Windows Remote Admin Tools ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520 ).

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tab8715 posted:

Well, yes of course it's a vulnerability but is it really bad enough to the point where we're personally limiting our ability to manage our own environment? It's analogues to "security through obscurity!".

I'd agree too that you shouldn't as a best-practice RDP'ing into servers on a regular basis use Remote Powershell or Windows Remote Admin Tools ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520 ).

As a linux admin I'm actually kind of jealous of the Windows remote tools. They are pretty slick.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

This is my life!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Turning off a service/attack vector isn't "security through obscurity" at all, though.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Cool. Issues in Level3 and our ticket system can't be reached. I'm not on call, so I can just sit back and have an excuse not to do anything important till its resolved.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

JHVH-1 posted:

Cool. Issues in Level3 and our ticket system can't be reached. I'm not on call, so I can just sit back and have an excuse not to do anything important till its resolved.

Water wet, etc. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I remember earlier in this thread some of you had some great suggestions for questions to ask during interviews but I can't seem to find it among the nearly 700 pages here (or maybe it was even in the ticket thread :shrug: )

Anybody have some good questions they like to ask, or be asked, in interviews?

I have an interview for my first IT job in a few hours and feel like it may be a little beyond my skill range right now but they asked one of my teachers to recommend a student so they know I'm still learning. I know that saying you'd Google an answer, or ask IRC/Stackexchange/SHSC, is better than flatly saying you don't know - any other tips on how to handle technical questions you don't know the answer to?