Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

lol

Phi230 posted:

Wait you guys hate Frank's Brother

I liked it, not my favorite but I liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Scorps posted:

The image of them sodomizing the queen

Nayeth!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I kinda loved this episode, but I'm also a big Quantum Leap fan, so YMMV. It's far from the worst they've ever done, probably firmly in the middle of the show overall.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Agronox posted:

It's probably the worst ep of the series, yeah.

No way is Frank's Brother worse than the goddawful Grieco episode. It's also probably better than CharDeeMacDennis II, The Gang Spies Like U.S. and Gun Fever.

Frank's Brother has a few great jokes that are hilarious regardless of anything else that goes down in that episode: "Just going through the motions", "Shady nastys?", "Those were the days", "everyone's a lot fatter than I expected them to be".

It's a good ep.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
The constant spitting in colonial Cricket's face is one of my favorite gags in the whole series. I also think The Force Awakens would have been greatly improved if that's how everyone treated Kylo Ren.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's hard to muster any interest in litigating whether the episode was offensive, because either way it just wasn't any good. The jokes didn't land and neither did the songs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's your opinion, and it's wrong.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
True sunnyheads know that the show peaked with the first episode of the first season, and it's been nothing but downhill ever since

Also, The Mick rules.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Missionary Positron posted:

True sunnyheads know that the show peaked with the first episode of the first season, and it's been nothing but downhill ever since

Also, The Mick rules.

I thought it was a movie for some reason until yesterday.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Also, The Mick rules.

I share this controversial opinion.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Also, The Mick rules.

+1 for The Mick being awesome. My roommate and I started watching after the Sunny rerun and we're both in love with the show now. Mick is a lot like Dee in many ways but you get the idea that somewhere deep inside she does care, even if it's just a little bit.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I had episodes I didn't really like that much but never, until I watched Season 11, could I say there were any bad episodes.

Smut Film, Frank Falls Out A Window are bad episodes.

And Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs is very close to being bad but was saved by how increasingly crazy it got.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Luvcow posted:

If you haven't already seen Glen Howerton in "That 80s Show" do yourself a favor and never watch it

Holy poo poo that was Dennis? That show was loving terrible

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh, one thing I don't remember being mentioned is the Trump mention at the beginning of the episode, I guess they reshot that bit recently?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm gonna +1 The Mick as well. The first episode was pretty good and very good by pilot standards, and the second episode was excellent. Everyone here should watch it.

Luvcow posted:

Loved this episode. Can definitely see why it's a love/hate type of episode though, they took a chance doing something completely different but I thought it worked.
Lots of people don't like anything that's a musical. For me, it depends. This one passed with flying colors.

Agronox posted:

Yeah but nobody cares about the political bona fides
Oh, you'd be surprised. Lots of pop culture criticism these days docks or adds points depending on whether the reviewer thinks it's compatible with their political views. Sometimes they even view politics in something that isn't there (the AVC review of the new Man Seeking Woman said that the "illegal boyfriend" bit was weighing in on immigration, which is wrong as hell, because it's an absurdist dating sitcom and nothing more).

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Oh, one thing I don't remember being mentioned is the Trump mention at the beginning of the episode, I guess they reshot that bit recently?

It could be that they just recorded two versions.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe they shot two versions of the line? It's definitely the first scripted TV show I've seen that acknowledges Trump winning. Only another 4-8 years to go!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
My favorite part is that in Old Black Man's dream his name is still Old Black Man, despite how the gang tries to call him Old Man.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

That's your opinion, and it's wrong.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Thought the episode was pretty good, but for a show that's had some really memorable musical bits none of the songs here really did anything for me.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Great opener, I don't know what the rest of you are expecting from a 12th season episode of a show, apparently for the gang to just constantly recycle old adventures.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The gang upcycles their garbage.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Nth-ing The Mick being worth it, "they have their own secret language" and "what happens on Tuesdays?" were standouts for me

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Phi230 posted:

And Mac and Dennis Move to the Suburbs is very close to being bad

The gently caress is this poo poo

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

BSam posted:

An opinion.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cojawfee posted:

The gang upcycles their garbage.

the gang disrupts a tech sector

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

BSam posted:

It's a really bad opinion.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Why is everyone being such a douche to people who didn't like the episode (or some other episode) that much? We're all Sunny fans here, or at least the vast majority of us.

I mean if you cited specific examples or something, sure. But this whole drop in to say "what a poo poo opinion" is lazy bullshit.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

TheBigAristotle posted:

Why is everyone being such a douche to people who didn't like the episode (or some other episode) that much? We're all Sunny fans here, or at least the vast majority of us.

I mean if you cited specific examples or something, sure. But this whole drop in to say "what a poo poo opinion" is lazy bullshit.

Maybe people are tired of other people saying "Wow, that was total poo poo. I guess after X years, they can't make TV anymore. This show jumped the shark and is dead" after every single episode that airs for the past few seasons.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I honestly love almost every single episode of the show to some extent. I feel like referential humor in recent seasons is like a bonus for people who have been around for a while.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Part of my issue with you saying musicals are corny, especially when using that as a reason to dislike this episode. The reason it was funny is because they made it corny. They weren't making Les Mis. They were making a corny '70s musical. Your complaint was the goal, but you see it as a negative as if they weren't trying to.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
keep formation Frank you little bitch

http://i.imgur.com/tQgYd6O.gifv

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I think it started a little slowly but really got a lot better by the time everyone split up and ended really strongly. A good start to the season.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
When you hit season 12 for most sitcoms you'll find that they're not taking risks like Sunny did last night. I may not of thought the ep was the best (or the worst) but poo poo, I was very happy that they did an episode where the gang turned black and found themselves in a self-aware musical. That's not low hanging fruit at all and reflects that the crew still care for what they're doing "creatively."

I did, however, think that once Charlie's black avatar was shot that it got too real. I know that was the point and all but drat guys, I've seen videos on the news where that happened. Perhaps ive got PTSD from watching the news but I lost my smile when that poo poo happened.

Charlie essentially being a black kid on paper but not skin color was pretty hilarious though, that scene with the social worker was great.

8/10 would watch the Wiz again

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

TheBigAristotle posted:

Everybody that just pops in and just says something along the lines of, "this sucks" is lazy and gets pretty old in many TV IV threads.

Also, how dare you express an opinion that is different than mine on the Internet, I must defend my opinions as facts.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Triggered!! hah!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Dunno, I think The Gang Squashes their Beefs was the worst episode.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Oh well that's the lesson... Black people will ruin your credit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Scorps posted:

Also when Charlie tries to get them to take down the "Speak American" sign in the bar during Charlie Work Frank says "What if he's a racist too?"

Also I don't understand why the Liberty Bell one is always listed in the worst episodes, I do understand Frank's Brother but I think Dee Makes a Smut Film or even Frank Falls Out The Window are worse than the Liberty Bell. Just personal opinion I never understood why it was received so badly, the image of them sodomizing the queen etc., Charlie and Frank and the guns, Dee spitting in crickets face, and the entire end with the globe stuffed in Charlie's shirt is hilarious to me.

Liberty Bell is one of the best episodes. Hands down. I still get giggles just thinking about Cricket's response to the drawing of the king being sodomized while the queen watches. That plus Charlie opening their story with a super dramatic "The year was 1492...."