Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have a preferred brand just because it uses a wide belly

much like myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Suggestions for brush cleaner?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The cheapest brush soap from your nearest art store is fine, but lots of people swear by Master's Brush Cleaner and Preserver.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I like my Rafael 8404s, and Masters brush soap.

I also used Turpenoid Natural to save one of my brushes that i set aside, forgot about... and dried rock hard.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dexefiend posted:

I also used Turpenoid Natural to save one of my brushes that i set aside, forgot about... and dried rock hard.

It worked for acrylic paints?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
After cleaning my brushes I always bring them to a point by using my tounge. I know it's kind of gross buy the spit helps keep the brush in the right shape and will wash off real easy when I'm ready to use it.

For people getting 1 brush I recommend a 0, if you are getting 2 brushes a 1 and a 000. I agree anything over a 2 isn't needed, but I have a 4 and I love it. When you are painting something like a large Tyranid bug and you have large areas to cover but still want a decent level of control it's nice to have a quality brush. Plus like others have said they clean better and last longer. I would rather spend $25 on a good large brush once than $3 every couple of months.

I have had my 000 for over 2 years and I don't find that my paint dries on the brush, maybe it has to do with the climate or something.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

berzerkmonkey posted:

It worked for acrylic paints?

It did. It didn't appear to damage the brush. I still use that brush all the time.

As for sizes, i have a 00, 0, 2x 1 and 2x 2. The points are so good that i rarely use the 00 or the 0. I only use them for the smallest of details.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 5, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ijyt posted:

The cheapest brush soap from your nearest art store is fine, but lots of people swear by Master's Brush Cleaner and Preserver.

Can this clean all types of paint, or are they mainly formulated for oils and acrylics? It would be nice to save on enamel thinner.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

Can this clean all types of paint, or are they mainly formulated for oils and acrylics? It would be nice to save on enamel thinner.

The one I use is for water-solubles only.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

DiHK posted:

I once buried one of those large exacto knives in my thigh while cutting a sprue. It was basically the same move Gene Wilder makes in Young Frankenstein. Except IRL.

It's a pretty sweet scar though.
When my 5-year-old expressed an interest in assembling/painting miniatures, I taught him how to use an X-Acto knife (or "Sword of Exact-Zero" as he knows it) to cut things off sprues and trim gates. He only stabbed me once, so I call it a win. \o/

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Ilor posted:

When my 5-year-old expressed an interest in assembling/painting miniatures, I taught him how to use an X-Acto knife (or "Sword of Exact-Zero" as he knows it) to cut things off sprues and trim gates. He only stabbed me once, so I call it a win. \o/

That's pretty dangerous for a 5 year old. Do yourself a favor and spend $16 and get a set of sprue cutters. Not only are they safer for everyone involved, they reduce the chance of breakage of fragile pieces and give you a cut that's more flush to the surface.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Time for a cringecheck: I still use cuticle cutters for sprues.

(They arent ever used for cuticle cutting, that eould be gross)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I use a pair of small pliers

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I use my old sprue cutters on the giant regenerating callus that sits on the outside of my left big toe.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I almost remember the days when I was a young lad of 5 years, when my dad taught me the wonders of hobby knives and methyl ethyl ketone

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I almost remember the days when I was a young lad of 5 years, when my dad taught me the wonders of hobby knives and methyl ethyl ketone

Do you "almost remember" due to age, or too much methyl ethyl ketone?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Neurolimal posted:

Same. Actually, I use them more to shave mold lines off of Privateer Press plastics but they work on sprues reasonably well.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

Do you "almost remember" due to age, or too much methyl ethyl ketone?

Who can say

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

I used a cuticle cutter that nobody wanted for snipping sprues, but it was a cheap piece of poo poo and broke in the middle of clipping out a bunch of stuff. I decided to try and finish up just using an exacto knife and proceeded to immediately slice my thumb open. Upside is I had plenty of super glue at hand to keep it sealed up for the next few days.

Moral of the story is yes buy flush cutters I guess.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

What, you bite them off like a savage?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Pierzak posted:

What, you bite them off like a savage?

Why not? It's how I get my models off the sprue.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's pretty dangerous for a 5 year old. Do yourself a favor and spend $16 and get a set of sprue cutters. Not only are they safer for everyone involved, they reduce the chance of breakage of fragile pieces and give you a cut that's more flush to the surface.
I have a couple of different cutters, but some of the parts we were trying to separate from the sprues had pretty tight gaps. Also, we've had him using knives in the kitchen since he was pretty young - he cuts strawberries like a pro.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I've had my W&N7s sit around for 2 years now because I'm afraid I'll mess up with them. In the meantime, I've kept on using $5- brushes and have gotten pretty good at blending with the hooked one because I can't bear to throw it away.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

I've had my W&N7s sit around for 2 years now because I'm afraid I'll mess up with them. In the meantime, I've kept on using $5- brushes and have gotten pretty good at blending with the hooked one because I can't bear to throw it away.

It's pretty easy to take care of them. I had problems with my brushes when I was a kid but now I just keep my rinse water clear, swirl some brush soap, rinse between paints. And don't dip the whole end of your brush in the paint and soak it all the way up. If you do, just rinse it immediately.

I did ruin one of them when I first picked the hobby up again by putting vallejo primer on it. Use a lovely brush for that, lesson learned. Regular paint, regular painting with your nice brushes. Primer and washes and dry brushes are for cheapos.

EDIT: Also, seconding that I don't have any issues with paint drying in my "miniature" series before it gets to the model. I don't live in the desert though, maybe that's whats up.

Salynne fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 6, 2017

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
Brushes are a consumable. Your nice brushes won't be pristine forever. Brush soap helps them stay healthy longer, but paint enough and they'll wear out like any other tool. The primary benefit of nice ones is that they last way longer (and are better way longer) than cheap synthetics. No sense getting caught up in treating them as a holy artifact unless you're super poor (and if you are, man, my heart goes out to you, this hobby is a poo poo one to love when you don't have money).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Brushes are holy artifacts to be revered and keep in their case while you use inferior brushes. Once you earn yourself a golden demon or crystal brush - that's when you earn the right to use them. :)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Man, backing miniature kickstarters is rough. Every mini I pick up I end up with the thought "you're getting 100 minis not counting scenery to paint 10 months from now, you should really buy more supplies and finish your current projects beforehand" and put them back down.

.....I still justified buying a Reaper gnoll and two of the most adorable mousling adventurers :3:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Reaper Mouselings might be the best models in their whole line except for the Princess one who has hair and boobs so you know she's a girl.

EDIT: As a big "lifehack" or whatever for you guys, every chain craft store on the planet has an app where you get a coupon every week for 40% off a single item. If you never set foot in a Michaels otherwise, it's not a bad idea to stop in periodically to grab something like a brush soap, pricey single brush, or whatever. They usually have exclusions for most big ticket items but I think do not exclude airbrushes or compressors?

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 6, 2017

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Man, backing miniature kickstarters is rough. Every mini I pick up I end up with the thought "you're getting 100 minis not counting scenery to paint 10 months from now, you should really buy more supplies and finish your current projects beforehand" and put them back down.

.....I still justified buying a Reaper gnoll and two of the most adorable mousling adventurers :3:

Maybe you should establish concrete hobby goals and just do whatever gets you there. gently caress what you "should" be working on unless someone's paying you to do this. If they are, do your job or whatever, and you probably have a process by now. But paint whatever the gently caress you want.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What PSI are you guys using to spray your Vallejo primers?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

I frequently go slightly higher than for my paints; polyurethane primer I'll go at 20-25 psi, whereas I try not to go any higher than 15 for paint. (Please someone let me know if I'm making a huge mistake, I've basically been winging it since 2009)

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Around 20psi on a Badger 105 with a 0.3mm needle. Works for the black, but have had trouble with the white primer, so suspect it's a bit too high.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The black seems to work anywhere between 15 and 25, the white is a bit of a pain

I find it needs a lot of distance or it just goes on wet whatever the psi. I needs a really long time to properly dry too

All my paint stuff has white overspray on it inevitably

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

mango sentinel posted:

Reaper Mouselings might be the best models in their whole line except for the Princess one who has hair and boobs so you know she's a girl.

EDIT: As a big "lifehack" or whatever for you guys, every chain craft store on the planet has an app where you get a coupon every week for 40% off a single item. If you never set foot in a Michaels otherwise, it's not a bad idea to stop in periodically to grab something like a brush soap, pricey single brush, or whatever. They usually have exclusions for most big ticket items but I think do not exclude airbrushes or compressors?

One Huge caveat: they often price hike the obvious picks to ludicrous heights to compensate for the coupons; I sae a nice clay conditioner (basically a pasta machine) for like 100 dollars when the amazon price was 50.

Don't let that discourage you though. I got a gigantic set of Liquitex paints for 20 (normally 40) a 1.5 years ago and I'm still using it to this day (only near-empty tube is Neutral Grey)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

25psi that drops closer to 20 as I run the airbrush. 25-30 is the norm.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I was running my patriot at 15 psi all day today and was working well.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I used to run around 30, but as seen pretty much everywhere online, most model airbrushes will run below 15. I think I'm running around 11 or something right now. There are a lot of factors which i cant be assed to look up right now but needle size, paint viscosity, humidity etc will all affect behavior.

There are peaks and valleys to so if you find things might be working at a really high psi you might just be fooling yourself

E: using a patriot and it runs like a mother fucker

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

This should be a simple question. What do I buy and how do I use it? I want to make these bases en masse:

Just a bunch of dirt and gravel or whatever. I assume there's something tailor made for this that I can buy in a tub.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
That's super fine grain sand, or maybe even sawdust, mixed into paint. It's a pretty rare way to base your models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I use vallejo pumice and paint it.