Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Crazy Larry posted:

Well apparently the balance team went on vacation after the preseason changes and their first reaction to the current situation with ADCs was to blame the assassin update/lethality changes so I guess give it two months and they might get around to discussing the problems we're talking about now.

They're totally right that it has to do with lethality, though. Every AD-scaling champ lost a shitload of damage now that the incredibly efficient armor pen is now the garbage lethality.

Did they ever explain why mpen is still just mpen instead of scaling like lethality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I said scaling mages was a bad idea back in beta, seven years later I'm in the right.

Really though, itemization needs to be fixed, and everyone else has already said how. The total lack of ability to counter a 4v2 bot gank that comes from both increased jungle XP and pressure is demoralizing to the mere concept of ADC. Nothing makes me stop caring about a competitive game faster/harder than zero option situations. And that's what traditional bot lanes are facing right now. Whoever gets that walk in gank on bot first removes bots options to do anything but farm and run for base at the first sign of danger.

Since Riot, especially Riot would never whole scale admit and revert a giant mistake like buffing junglers and mid assassins at the same while destroying ADC itemization, everything is probably hosed for a couple months while they fix things one at a time.

So obviously the answer is to play 2-1-2, five tanks, final destination.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Also, remember when Twitch and Vayne were super strong and pick/ban and everyone was getting blown up by them?

It was PAST PATCH. The memory of some people is so short

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

i get that you hate mobility but its got virtually nothing to do with the sorry state of ADCs

Poppy is an issue but so is literally every champion just jumping on them. Itemization does need fixing but even if adc's could kill tanks reasonably well it's not like people are diving you 4v2 with jungle poppy at the moment. It's usually just mid roam + lee or w/e, tanks make the mid game suck but are also half the reason legit adcs are worth having around late game.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Orv posted:

I said scaling mages was a bad idea back in beta, seven years later I'm in the right.

Really though, itemization needs to be fixed, and everyone else has already said how. The total lack of ability to counter a 4v2 bot gank that comes from both increased jungle XP and pressure is demoralizing to the mere concept of ADC. Nothing makes me stop caring about a competitive game faster/harder than zero option situations. And that's what traditional bot lanes are facing right now. Whoever gets that walk in gank on bot first removes bots options to do anything but farm and run for base at the first sign of danger.

Since Riot, especially Riot would never whole scale admit and revert a giant mistake like buffing junglers and mid assassins at the same while destroying ADC itemization, everything is probably hosed for a couple months while they fix things one at a time.

So obviously the answer is to play 2-1-2, five tanks, final destination.

Itemization and scaling have absolutely nothing to do with getting dove at your tower by mid and jungle hth

Orv
May 4, 2011
Vayne will always be powerful because of the insanity that is her kit. Twitch benefited from a crazy confluence of balance that made him stupendously scary. Everyone else was slammed through the bottom of the trash can into a shallow grave.

E: I mean doesn't everyone want Lucien to be good again?

Firebert posted:

Itemization and scaling have absolutely nothing to do with getting dove at your tower by mid and jungle hth

I rambled a bit there.

Orv fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 5, 2017

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Orv posted:

Vayne will always be powerful because of the insanity that is her kit. Twitch benefited from a crazy confluence of balance that made him stupendously scary. Everyone else was slammed through the bottom of the trash can into a shallow grave.

Twitch was good cause his invisibility lasted so long he could just hover around a fight until the people who could jump on him used cooldowns and then pop up and ult. I remember watching qt playing him a bunch and there was a super comical moment when he was just sitting around invisible waiting for their assassin to come out and he was just joking about how they were both just ccing each other out of the fight.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ArbitraryC posted:

Poppy is an issue but so is literally every champion just jumping on them. Itemization does need fixing but even if adc's could kill tanks reasonably well it's not like people are diving you 4v2 with jungle poppy at the moment. It's usually just mid roam + lee or w/e, tanks make the mid game suck but are also half the reason legit adcs are worth having around late game.

if mobility was the problem a no mobility ap mage like ziggs would not be able to be the literally best bot lane champion

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

rabidsquid posted:

if mobility was the problem a no mobility ap mage like ziggs would not be able to be the literally best bot lane champion
Ziggs has an escape that also peels that can also be used as a wall jump? How on earth is he low mobility? He also has super long range to make it easier for him to farm safely against non dive ganks.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
There's nothing inherently weak about marksmen fwiw. They were played at every single position in the game last season ffs. Riot just didn't put much thought into how armour pen and mastery changes would effect struggling champs like Lucian and Draven.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Vayne and Twitch are good because they really benefited from the changes to stealth/invisibility and also because Vayne is a great tank killer. Caitlin is good because she dominates most lanes and is an excellent in siege comps.

Honestly I think all the talk of ADCs being a horrible role is a little overblown, I don't mind some diversity in the bot lane. I think APC Ziggs/Cass or w/e is cool. I'm much more bothered by Poppy/Camille being incredibly dominant around 25 minutes into the game no matter how they do in lane.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please don't take my unkillable blue midget away. :smith:

Though maybe being able to just stand in the middle of the enemy team waiting for cooldowns is a bit much.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
There's nothing inherently bad about scaling mages, its just that they can't exist alongside basic right clicking heroes without incurring severe friction.

In dota (where the concept of a carry the team had to nurse and protect started) mages could dominate for the first half of the game, but the lack of scaling meant they either became semicarries (weaker carries) halfway through or became entirely utilitarian. With mages capable of scaling the concept of "dogshit hero everyone can obliterate early on, only strong damage dealer lategame" becomes obsolete unless you make tgeir damage scaling so utterly severe that mages might as well not have scaling.

...but then because of how carries scale this just enable AD mages the start the problem anew. It's easier to just remove the concept than to remove every AD mage and AP item.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Singed got to design a champion, maybe that's what they did with TotalBiscuit's reward: http://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/story/singed-thenightmare-story

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

They're totally right that it has to do with lethality, though. Every AD-scaling champ lost a shitload of damage now that the incredibly efficient armor pen is now the garbage lethality.

The arpen build wasn't the standard build for all ADCs though, unless I missed the Caitlin/Jinx Ghostblade first meta. You can't say that ADC doesn't have a problem with build paths/early game itemization just because a subset of them have a cheap and powerful first buy when an equally large subset still use the BF sword first build path (a build path that has been criticized since season 5), especially when two of the early spike champs are also two of the strongest late game carries, completely distorting the idea of balancing them based on their power curve.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Old LW was bullshit and I'm glad it's dead.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

There's nothing inherently bad about scaling mages, its just that they can't exist alongside basic right clicking heroes without incurring severe friction.

In dota (where the concept of a carry the team had to nurse and protect started) mages could dominate for the first half of the game, but the lack of scaling meant they either became semicarries (weaker carries) halfway through or became entirely utilitarian. With mages capable of scaling the concept of "dogshit hero everyone can obliterate early on, only strong damage dealer lategame" becomes obsolete unless you make tgeir damage scaling so utterly severe that mages might as well not have scaling.

...but then because of how carries scale this just enable AD mages the start the problem anew. It's easier to just remove the concept than to remove every AD mage and AP item.

You're right, let's buff Illaoi.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Bring back 3k gold 100 ad 20% lifesteal bloodthirster

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Orv posted:

You're right, let's buff Illaoi.

nah, IMO riot just needs to make carries stronger early, weaker late, and phase out/reduce crit-based carry items.

like someone else said suggesting a meta where Draven top is a thing, a healthy ADC scenario would be one where they can be just as fluid with lane choices as literally every other hero is.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
ADCs aren't even that strong late now. You can 1v1 Mages if you have Flash but a 6 item no-boots ADC will still take a minute to kill a 5 item Poppy and 20 seconds to kill a 5 item Irelia.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Sexpansion posted:

Singed got to design a champion, maybe that's what they did with TotalBiscuit's reward: http://universe.leagueoflegends.com/en_US/story/singed-thenightmare-story

Looks like Warwick got a new backstory for his rework

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Firebert posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like they've been "reworking" Warwick for two seasons now.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

lets get some new CC abilities in the game. make a guy who can berserk people(base AD doubled, can not cast spells). put sleep in(upon taking damage, wake up from CC). put like, confuse, where people start attacking they own allies. riot i know you guys are reading this. and give me some free RP if you do this so i can buy a nami skin please.

E: make a guy who lassos people off on a rope and you can only move n teemos away from the guy who lassod you, but you are free to do whatever, and the guy lassoing you can pull you around with it. that would be sick

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Vermain posted:

. If your lane goes well and get first tower gold, you feel like you're hanging onto the game by a thread, because Lee Sin or LeBlanc or whoever can still jump on you and pop you in a couple of moves and you have no way to itemize against them without severely crippling yourself.

I feel like this is the biggest part of the problem, there isn't any "stay ahead" or "stop the bleeding and survive" items for ADC like their are AP champs. Do you think it would help if they upped the AD on Maw or gave Merc Scim a better build path?

or hell, item chat, if they made BF build out of a Pickaxe + sword combo?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

They can't make good mid early ad items good enough to make a 1 item ad powerful without forcing me to see zed in games, which is not at all acceptable.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

And you can't make an item that makes Caitlyn suriviable without making graves immortal. It's a tough problem.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

They can't make good mid early ad items good enough to make a 1 item ad powerful without forcing me to see zed in games, which is not at all acceptable.

they could just do range vs melee split. the graves problem is a lot harder to deal with but it is pretty trivial from a design perspective to keep zed from using the hot marksman items

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

what if that mirage blade item from the bilgewater event was brought over with a ranged restriction, would that be too good, not enough? in addition to the passive/active giving you an extra mini-flash backwards it had a pretty unique stat spread, i can't think of other items with both lifesteal and crit

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

TheAnomaly posted:

or hell, item chat, if they made BF build out of a Pickaxe + sword combo?

I'd be pretty happy if they tried out this to see how it played out (they could do the same for NLR as it is). Honestly I've always wondered why they didn't bring offensive itemization into line with defensive itemization by making long sword/amp tome the only base level items and making the other one's upgrades from them. It'd go a long way to alleviating the issue of 1000g being a bad back for adcs.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

oh yeah that would make sense too

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Crazy Larry posted:

I'll believe it when I see it. I feel like they've been "reworking" Warwick for two seasons now.

it's 100% Warwick, they said his rework would be out before the next new champ.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

wolverwick

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Tales of Woe posted:

it's 100% Warwick, they said his rework would be out before the next new champ.

Given how long he's been slated for a rework I'm just going to take that to mean that we aren't getting a new champ until 2018.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Sexpansion posted:

I forgot about that part of the lore where singed told someone to get cancer and die.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

a medical mystery posted:

what if that mirage blade item from the bilgewater event was brought over with a ranged restriction, would that be too good, not enough? in addition to the passive/active giving you an extra mini-flash backwards it had a pretty unique stat spread, i can't think of other items with both lifesteal and crit

would be unreal busted but since it's always tanks that get the super broken item / talent / dumb metagolem build every season, why not let a different class have some fun this time

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Lovechop posted:

would be unreal busted but since it's always tanks that get the super broken item / talent / dumb metagolem build every season, why not let a different class have some fun this time

TBF I was stacking Black Cleavers on MF too that one time

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
When are they adding Zac health size technology to breasts? That way builds like fat annie tank akali really feel more immersive and can just go "bring it."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Crazy Larry posted:

Given how long he's been slated for a rework I'm just going to take that to mean that we aren't getting a new champ until 2018.

I am ok with this

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
im gonna laugh if ziggs is p/b and botlane is nothing but viktor and velkoz apc for the first few weeks of the competitive season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

im gonna laugh if ziggs is p/b and botlane is nothing but viktor and velkoz apc for the first few weeks of the competitive season

real talk this would be awesome

• Locked thread