Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

3 active skills seems like plenty for a cover shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Codependent Poster posted:

You also have your squadmates, and it appears that you can respec the active slots at any time.

It looks like they're making it so you can change your class/skills to suit your needs for encounters or to just mix up the gameplay.

This also isn't Dragon Age combat, where you have to rely on skills. It's a shooter, and your skills work alongside that.

Okay but I'm gonna need like six active slots minimum, come on. I'm sure they could just use what they've got but add an alt-mode that pops up when you hold RT or something.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I like that she doesn't look so weird when actually in game compared to that portrait that seems to accompany anything related to the game.

Edit: that said, she may not be wearing a skintight suit, but if you look carefully, her coat isn't closed all the way and she's got an exposed midriff. :bioware:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RT is literally your shoot button already. You are still comparing to DAInq.

Now what are they doing with the face buttons? In the ME3 multiplayer (using a 360 controller for comparison) you used Y and the bumpers. In this, they show that you can use the bumpers individually for their assigned powers or together for a third power (gonna accidentally set off LB or RB when I mean LB+RB, I guarantee it). So what are they doing with the face buttons? They have shown you take cover by moving into it instead of pressing A to lock to it. So is A just jump now? Is it just accept/confirm? X is almost certainly still reload. If they differentiate the buttons for jumping and dashing, does that make B into the dash move? Is Y for grenades?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The face buttons will now allow you to gently caress any one of your squadmates in real time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gameplay trailer is really underwhelming for a game this close to release. DAI had tonnes of prerelease content, these tiny carefully pruned segments for Andromeda make me suspicious.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also there's something called a "Nexus Level" that goes up with AVP in the upper right corner.

So are we ranking up by collecting Alien and Predator memorabilia?

Also fuuuuuuuuck item limits. Which reminds me that they said there's no omnigel.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

:popeye:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Android Blues posted:

Gameplay trailer is really underwhelming for a game this close to release. DAI had tonnes of prerelease content, these tiny carefully pruned segments for Andromeda make me suspicious.

I was thinking the same thing. The lack of details for a game that should be pretty close to gold right now it kinda concerning. Very little hype or advertising for a title of this scale too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nerdz posted:

I was thinking the same thing. The lack of details for a game that should be pretty close to gold right now it kinda concerning. Very little hype or advertising for a title of this scale too.

I vaguely recall this sentiment going around in the lead up to DA:I too. The plastic looking early screenshots didn't help and I guess the ME:A equivalent is bad facial animations.

I reckon the only thing on the "gold disc" will be an origin client installer and zero game data.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

FLAMETHROWE
R

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

nerdz posted:

At least Peebee isn't wearing a skintight suit. I like the coat+powerlifting belt tightened all the way up.

Also did anyone notice that she has tech skills and not biotic. She probably does it to be more random. She was tricked into going to the expedition by her sisters where so sick of her drat poo poo.

It looks like she has one tech power, Invasion, and two biotic powers, Pull and Shockwave. So she's like a sentinel.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

They used to call it Igni but had to change it at the last minute

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

marshmallow creep posted:

RT is literally your shoot button already. You are still comparing to DAInq.

Now what are they doing with the face buttons? In the ME3 multiplayer (using a 360 controller for comparison) you used Y and the bumpers. In this, they show that you can use the bumpers individually for their assigned powers or together for a third power (gonna accidentally set off LB or RB when I mean LB+RB, I guarantee it). So what are they doing with the face buttons? They have shown you take cover by moving into it instead of pressing A to lock to it. So is A just jump now? Is it just accept/confirm? X is almost certainly still reload. If they differentiate the buttons for jumping and dashing, does that make B into the dash move? Is Y for grenades?

Press X to reload.

One will have to be for your jetpack. One for melee. And one for dodge/roll.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Early access is looking real good, wish I jumped in on the kickstarter.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What would be grenades, then? I'm pretty sure grenades are still in. Maybe that'll be one of the alt functions for tapping/holding a button.

What game was it where you tapped the button to melee but held it to throw an explosive? Was that Fallout 4?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Ferrinus posted:

This is horseshit! Even DAI's eight actives felt constrictive towards the middle or end of the game.

Uh, biotic charge plus maybe one other is all you need.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

DancingShade posted:

I vaguely recall this sentiment going around in the lead up to DA:I too. The plastic looking early screenshots didn't help and I guess the ME:A equivalent is bad facial animations.

I reckon the only thing on the "gold disc" will be an origin client installer and zero game data.

There was like two hours of gameplay footage leading up to DAI's release, featuring stuff from Redcliffe, the Hinterlands, Crestwood, and the Fallow Mire in a fair amount of detail (some of which was changed later, admittedly). So far for Andromeda we've seen about a cumulative three minutes of actual play. In DAI, the content was clearly there and they weren't afraid to show it off. With how underwhelming what we have seen is, it just feels like they maybe don't have anything cool or interesting to show us.

In other words, if these are the best gameplay slices they can snip out for a trailer, there's gotta be a whole lot of bad gameplay slices that we aren't seeing. Maybe there'll be a deluge of actual play a little closer to release?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I imagine since they have finally decided to settle on a release date we are probably going to see more and more footage and characters. They certainly have a plan for marketing, but they very much didn't want to give away anything before they were ready.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
LOL at anyone who bothered filling out that MP beta application.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Also given how ME3's marketing was the textbook definition of overjoyed, they may be playing it a little quiet at first.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Peebee? More like poopwasp

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

Peebee? More like poopwasp

This would quickly turn into "Hey Shitbug, you're on point".

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

BexGu posted:

There is going to be a mod that is just going to take peebee out of the game.

the best mod in the history of mods

Veotax
May 16, 2006

DancingShade posted:

The game is probaly going to be nearly 50gigs like almost every other AAA game these days, so unless they're going to ship the game on 10 dvds or a loving Bluray the disc isn't going to have poo poo on it.

Also, I don't know about the US but here in the UK I'm pretty sure that EA has actually stopped putting discs in most boxes.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ryders' voice-actors. Being quippy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Serf posted:

3 active skills seems like plenty for a cover shooter.

Not if you're a space-wizard.

Throw, pull, Warp, Singularity, Barrier, shockwave were all used in basically every combat in ME3. Paring it down makes a lot of cooler situational powers idiotic to take. It also makes mixing and matching restrictive as gently caress.

Man this is the worst loving news. Hell I like ME3 a lot and Im going to be waiting on this game now because seriously fuuuuuuuck that.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Zore posted:

Throw, pull, Warp, Singularity, Barrier, shockwave were all used in basically every combat in ME3. Paring it down makes a lot of cooler situational powers idiotic to take. It also makes mixing and matching restrictive as gently caress.

Man this is the worst loving news. Hell I like ME3 a lot and Im going to be waiting on this game now because seriously fuuuuuuuck that.

I've always thought that, properly speaking, it's the engineer that's the space wizard (they get fireball, chain lightning, summon familiar...) while the adept is the space psion, but I feel the exact same way. It's just plain cruel to finally give us powers with separate cooldowns and then drastically cut down how many can be used together.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Who the hell ever used shockwave?

The only time I ever used it was bowling over husks for fun. Otherwise it was a bad power.

inflatable fish
Dec 8, 2016
noone ever complained about the lack of ability slots in ME3 MP though, right? and they've said themselves that they're going for more of that fast paced action feel and not cover humping and whittling down Marauder Shields.

e:

Codependent Poster posted:

Who the hell ever used shockwave?

The only time I ever used it was bowling over husks for fun. Otherwise it was a bad power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTaCRQNH6g

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Zore posted:

Multiplayer restricted you to three active abilities and it never felt restricting.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Also, isn't the power wheel still there? If so, it's only restricting your mapping the skills and not actually what you can use.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Android Blues posted:

There was like two hours of gameplay footage leading up to DAI's release, featuring stuff from Redcliffe, the Hinterlands, Crestwood, and the Fallow Mire in a fair amount of detail (some of which was changed later, admittedly). So far for Andromeda we've seen about a cumulative three minutes of actual play. In DAI, the content was clearly there and they weren't afraid to show it off. With how underwhelming what we have seen is, it just feels like they maybe don't have anything cool or interesting to show us.

In other words, if these are the best gameplay slices they can snip out for a trailer, there's gotta be a whole lot of bad gameplay slices that we aren't seeing. Maybe there'll be a deluge of actual play a little closer to release?

That's what worries me. We have basically seen nothing apart from 2 announcement trailers and some demo highlights real. Maybe the gameplay director was to busy on Twitter to actually work on anything new or interesting and just copied no mans sky wit dai quests. Then spent the rest of the time talking about how inclusive the game is or something so he doesn't have to talk about gameplay.

Oh god what the hell was that. Oh god they are really hoping for just brand recognition to boost there sales arnt they. It's gonna be lovely joss weadon humor and "bitting social commentary" in place of characters and story. They are gonna go full gearbox. :(

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 5, 2017

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Double post :(

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Multiplayer restricted you to three active abilities and it never felt restricting.

It did make a number of basic classes feel like poo poo though (human Adept, human Sentinel in particular). And it mostly got around feeling restricting by making a lot of new cool powers that aren't as specialized as things like Pull/Throw.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Did DAI have controller support on the PC? World prefer to play this with a pad.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It absolutely did. It made sense because it was co-op and you had teammates to fill in where you were deficient.

Playing alone having only 3 active abilities ( do ammo powers take a slot? ) is going to feel really lame coming from having up to 7 in ME3. Plus I haven't seen in any of the videos a way to control your squads powers, which in ME3 bumps it up to 11 potential abilities.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Zore posted:

And it mostly got around feeling restricting by making a lot of new cool powers that aren't as specialized as things like Pull/Throw.

Well this is exactly what they've done. Most skills look like they have multiple uses or alternate fire modes now. Also everyone can combo reliably with separate cooldowns.

You still have two squadmates with a full complement of skills in SP, so in practice you have 9 skill slots which is plenty. Not being able to do everything yourself is healthy for a squad-based game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I'm going to charge into aliens and light their surprisingly human-like bodies on fire. When I get back to the ship I will feed my space cat and play poker with my crew of swarthy krogans and space elves.