Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GeneX posted:

I'm glad we're supporting the supervillain, because this universe deserves repression and death

I mean if anyone is going to know where the power crystals OR the holy maiden can be found...

Also, whoever called this Furry Idiocracy is right: Look at what they just said. They shot all the competent, non-sparkledog furries into space in a plan to see if they die when shot into space. Sadly, they died. In space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I hope, this being a preindustrial society, they used a catapult.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Data Graham posted:

The Sun Catapult has served us well for ages, and we should always remember well its noble inscription:

"Into the fiery orb with ye!"

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Despite this huge undigested wad of exposition, we still don't know 1) who, if anyone, is telling a reliable truth, and 2) what exactly Rabies' task is supposed to be. So all this chatter is just useless guff.

Here's how this is supposed to work: the protagonist talks to the king right away and is told, "Your quest is to do such-and-such," and after that start, then we start learning that things are more complex and sinister than they seem. Start simple, then add complications.

We don't know what to think about anything, so how are we expected to care?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
No but you see a bunch of characters have called you The Savior a million times, so obviously your job is to save

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Trite as it would be, I'd settle for him going straight to the king and demanding answers purely on the question of how the hell to get back home—and, you know, being told by the king about the whole "you can't leave this planet" thing. So then it becomes his quest, even though he has no investment in this place, to become its savior.

He can even Connecticut Yankee his way into court by impressing them with his ipad or whatever. Come on, there are a million opportunities for storytelling that just leap into your lap, even I can tell this and I am documented to be the worst and most uncreative writer in the known universe.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
How is this lovely bar, staffed only by 3 incompetents, supposed to be a galactic landmark?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Blarghalt posted:

People seem to forget what we are. At night -- we turn into a watering hole. No immigration papers to be found.

Yeah, it's super surprising that people would both have no immigration papers to file and want to go to a bar at night.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

We're going to find out that Terra has technology superior to Earth's, aren't we?

They've invented the belt but 'shirt' technology has so far eluded them. :sigh:

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

I think we're supposed to understand that the tavern is full of patrons, so either Klace doesn't know what "littered" means or, this being furryworld, there are literal litters of baby wolfpeople scampering about.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ On that note it really bugs me when people overuse the word incredibly. Like, just get across that they're all carousing raucously, clearly they're happy. But incredibly suggests that they're so happy you can't actually believe it—that's literally what it means. They're so happy that something seems fishy.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Mechanical Ape posted:

I think we're supposed to understand that the tavern is full of patrons, so either Klace doesn't know what "littered" means or, this being furryworld, there are literal litters of baby wolfpeople scampering about.

lmao if you think the writer is capable of that level of wordplay

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I still cannot handle this writing.

Why does Rabies so unconditionally accept every word that's said, even the ones that contradict each other? Why does he invest himself so personally in every single complication in the lives of every single person he meets? It'd be an interesting character flaw to have someone who compulsively dives head-first into every little issue he comes across, but that'd take a good writer doing it on purpose, and not Klace creating this well-meaning weirdo entirely through incompetence.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It might be an unavoidable side effect of deciding that your POV protagonist's vocabulary is limited to "..."

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It'd be an interesting character flaw to have someone who compulsively dives head-first into every little issue he comes across, but that'd take a good writer doing it on purpose, and not Klace creating this well-meaning weirdo entirely through incompetence.

Wasn't that basically Flower, Sun, and Rain?

Metaligatr
Mar 10, 2013

Khajit was up all night to get lucky.
Christ, that writing. Talk about trite bullshit that doesn't go anywhere.

I always love these :allears:

In other news, I think I accidentally came across one of the stripper rabbits' relatives. Presumably not their mother though, we all know she's rotting mush by now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phidget's ears make me so mad.

I WANT TO DRAW THEM WITH RED LINES

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Why does Rabies so unconditionally accept every word that's said, even the ones that contradict each other? Why does he invest himself so personally in every single complication in the lives of every single person he meets? It'd be an interesting character flaw to have someone who compulsively dives head-first into every little issue he comes across, but that'd take a good writer doing it on purpose, and not Klace creating this well-meaning weirdo entirely through incompetence.
This is what drives me nuts: our protagonist mulls over every piece of hearsay and its possible meaning, and then invariably concludes "I guess I don't know what to think about this". He's constantly reflecting, never deciding. It's a waste of words and the player's attention. I guess all the characters engage in this, but it's particularly galling with the protagonist, who's SUPPOSED to be the one who drives the story.

But I guess we already knew that Rabies' head is one gear and it isn't turning.

Data Graham posted:

It might be an unavoidable side effect of deciding that your POV protagonist's vocabulary is limited to "..."
This is where Telltale's system, for example, works well. Not all your choices necessarily matter, but they still serve to establish character or let the player work out their own thoughts/ideas.

Dialogue options are good because it requires the writer to think about the player's POV and anticipate what they might be thinking at that point. For instance, I'd have really loved a chance to respond to the news that Velasquez atoned for the Exodus fuckup by building a goddamned bar. Being able to ask "Wait, he did what?", even as one of four options, lets the game acknowledge that yes, this is weird and it's valid to feel that way. The reader gets to express in-game what they're feeling and gets validation that the writer was aware enough of their own story to anticipate it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Rabies' combination of stupid personality traits is pretty easy to explain. He gets his stupid as emotionally involved in everything because that's what JRPG protagonists do, and it's pretty obvious that the writer's primary source of literature is JRPGs. The reason why Rabies can never make up his mind about anything is because he's a player self-insert, and gosh it would be such a crime to tell the player how they feel when they should be drawin their own conclusions.

Remember how in Deus Ex, JC's voice actor was directed to be as flat as possible so the player could imagine how their version of JC would say those lines (and then it totally fell flat)? It's like that, but at the writing level.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also note all the judging and hating as the worst thing ever keeps coming up. "Sure our king hosed up and shot everyone into the sun with the Solar Catapult, but don't you dare judge anyone! He meant well!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Why does Rabies so unconditionally accept every word that's said, even the ones that contradict each other?

Because he's a furry and they go whole-hog on the 'you must accept everyone no matter how weird they are' thing.

Until someone is demonstrably proven to be a liar the main character will believe everything they're told at face value.

Edit: To double-up on this, because the game's creator is a furry no thought was put into whether or not any of the characters were actually lying to the protagonist, so I suspect everything the protagonist has been or will be told is true even if it's contradictory.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 5, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Night10194 posted:

Also note all the judging and hating as the worst thing ever keeps coming up. "Sure our king hosed up and shot everyone into the sun with the Solar Catapult, but don't you dare judge anyone! He meant well!"

Yea - this is a huge geek social fallacy and one furries are especially prone to fall into, because they don't wanna be "the bullies and bad guys just like the people that hurt them", it almost always ends up biting them in the rear end because it means it excusing abusive behavior and just outright foul personality traits in others because they don't want to be bullies.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mechanical Ape posted:

This is what drives me nuts: our protagonist mulls over every piece of hearsay and its possible meaning, and then invariably concludes "I guess I don't know what to think about this". He's constantly reflecting, never deciding. It's a waste of words and the player's attention. I guess all the characters engage in this, but it's particularly galling with the protagonist, who's SUPPOSED to be the one who drives the story.

I think that's what has me so aggravated too. The player can be trusted to mull in the rising action, but Klace is holding our hands during this by having the protagonist mull so much for us. The protagonist never decides anything, but spends so much time acting like he's about to.

And another thing, the characters are all too affable with each other.Tell Righty and Kila that you're going with the corrupt king? They declare they'll still be friends and won't hurt each other if it can be helped. Get kidnapped by assassins? They're really friendly guys and the protagonist accepts their story without a moment's hesitation because Furry Outsider just told him he was special. Pliar's one scene and Shock telling Rook to gently caress off are the only times characters really clash with each other. There's nothing but Furry Outsider's assurance there is a conflict going on, and it's dreadfully boring as a result.

And another thing, showing the player that Furry Outsider is the king's ally is loving weird, because that's influencing the player's decision whether to side with Righty or the assassins, but the protagonist has no way of knowing this. Somehow we're getting NG+-level plot context our first time through. :psyduck:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

He built a totally sweet bar/immigration office to make up for it though! Well, he told a mercenary bear who apparently also works as a contractor on the side to build one, which is almost as good. No idea if the bear actually got paid, though. That might explain why he's now pissed at the Municipal God-King, now that I think about it. There's no grand scheme or intrigue at play here, Righty just wants to get paid and Kaiser Velasquez is being a dick.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
Here's something to consider.
As far as we know there haven't been any actual good guys in the game so far outside of Rabies and possibly Kila.

From band management on down everyone that has interacted with our "Hero" has done so because they have no choice or has an ulterior motive. Rook clearly only tolerated rabies and Kila because they won a contest and is more than willing to send them back, the same goes with Singe. The bird lady clearly has no clue what's happening around her and just wanted to use rabies as a kind of sounding board for her own crackpot theories which although true are unproveable to anyone but the kidnap victims who are most likely trapped in Pliars dungeons.

From Terra's side of things we have the furry outsider who is working with God King Xerxes and only gave us our powers and most likely fed Rabies a story on how he is the "Savior" so as to make it easier for him to manipulate Rabies into doing what the king wants. Then we have the dynamic duo who are the most incompetent assassins who think a guild can really be make up of just two people and aren't even smart enough to question anything the King does and follows orders blindly and never really question if what they are doing is right. Heck they gave no thought that perhaps they might be in the wrong by trying to sabotage their own democratic process in order to keep their King in power. I'm hoping the dynamic duo pay for their actions in the end in some way because ignorance doesn't absolve you of your actions.

Righty can't really be considered a good guy either because he's willing to use the guy who literally just showed up as a pawn to try and overthrow the King.

As bad as Kila is and as dumb as he acts especially since he literally had to twist the midnight murder theory around just so he can justify how Klace may have ended up on Terra well before Rabies and himself ended up there later and didn't think even once that perhaps Klace was just flat out murdered and has nothing to do with the games "plot". All Kila wants is a friend and at least he has Righty for that now even though that may get him into a lot of trouble.

As far as the story itself goes from this point forward there should be no reason to cut back to Earth since the story doesn't take place there and there's no reason to keep coming back to it unless the payoff is that the band somehow finds a way to transport Rabies and Kila back to Earth which isn't likely since by the games own rules the ritual tends to leave dead bodies of those transported in their originating dimension..

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

But everyone is connected! This is an intricate interpersonal web of intrigue, just trust me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

inthesto posted:

Rabies' combination of stupid personality traits is pretty easy to explain. He gets his stupid as emotionally involved in everything because that's what JRPG protagonists do, and it's pretty obvious that the writer's primary source of literature is JRPGs. The reason why Rabies can never make up his mind about anything is because he's a player self-insert, and gosh it would be such a crime to tell the player how they feel when they should be drawin their own conclusions.

So what we're seeing is the conflict between trying to have Cloud Strife and the Courier in the same character?

Since it's Klace jamming such disparate protagonist concepts, together we've gained none of the strengths but all of the weaknesses, with a heaping helping of words because gently caress you.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

Well I'm on the king's side, so far anyway. Project Exodus was a shitshow, but in general the guy's reputation as a good king seems to really be true. I mean, he's been running Terra for millennia; if he were inclined to turn the place into Mordor it would have happened by now. What we seem to have (from the little we've seen, basically one forest and one tavern) is a decently well-run society ruled by a dude who has his detractors, as all leaders do, but a guy whom most folks are happy with and, surprisingly often, appear to know personally. It's hard for me to imagine he's running an evil scheme where Step 1 is to rule with wisdom and kindness for 3000 years.

I ain't saying Velasquez is a completely good guy, or even very smart, but he's got my benefit of the doubt until we learn something concrete. Righty appears to know some dark secret, but he's keeping it to himself because of "honor" I guess so gently caress him. At any rate, Terra's whole deal is that it gets a regular influx of immigrants, and they must be happier here than whatever world they came from, or else there'd be a lot more unrest (since going back home isn't an option).

The famine is bad, but didn't we learn (or at least it was alleged) that it's actually caused by Plair hoarding all the food? Although I think this is something the player knows but Rabies doesn't? It's confusing.

Then there's the fact that Velasquez employs assassins, but I think we're not meant to see that as a bad thing. I think Klace never questioned that there would be assassins because this is Adventure World and of course you have assassins -- it's one of the standard jobs in a setting like this, just like mercenary (hired by whom to fight whom?) or king. And anyway these are friendly, colorful assassins so that marks them as good guys, let's forget that they murder people for a living.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Mechanical Ape posted:

Then there's the fact that Velasquez employs assassins, but I think we're not meant to see that as a bad thing. I think Klace never questioned that there would be assassins because this is Adventure World and of course you have assassins -- it's one of the standard jobs in a setting like this, just like mercenary (hired by whom to fight whom?) or king. And anyway these are friendly, colorful assassins so that marks them as good guys, let's forget that they murder people for a living.

It all makes sense, now. They don't actually murder anyone, they just get wicked-rad critical hit rates for no good reason.

Unfortunately, the things they did 2x damage to were "common sense" and "my eyes".

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Every time somebody makes a long effortpost in an attempt to rationalize this shitheap of a plot, I grow stronger

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

inthesto posted:

Every time somebody makes a long effortpost in an attempt to rationalize this shitheap of a plot, I grow stronger

By the time this LP ends and you ascend to Godhood from people's desperation posts to make sense of this madness, please remember that there is some good in this world. Be a merciful god.

Ha! Purge the unclean. Bomb us all!

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
There really isn't any way to really rationalize what's going on in the game as a whole without really breaking it apart into way more focused stories, as you'll soon see.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

inthesto posted:

I view these effortposts as bricks of hatred upon which we may build yet greater criticisms to come. Even though I know that every time we do so, we fall into Klace's trap of pretending like this is a real story.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

I welcome these effortposts, because we're sure as hell going to need them the deeper we get into this horse corpse of a game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Blarghalt posted:

deeper we get into this horse corpse

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, it's super surprising that people would both have no immigration papers to file and want to go to a bar at night.

It's like "Cheers".

Also can someone explain to me what the hell this "power crystal" talk is about?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

KataraniSword posted:

It all makes sense, now. They don't actually murder anyone, they just get wicked-rad critical hit rates for no good reason.
I think you could build an interesting moment from these two guys, if they spent a few chapters as the harmless garish buffoons we're seeing now ... and then suddenly, some sucker runs up on them and they just loving cut his throat in an eyeblink. And that's when you realize, this is all a front and these guys are actually dangerous. But that's not going to happen with these characters in this game.

What it feels like, so far, is that Klace has romanticized the job of assassin the way that pirates are sometimes romanticized. You know how in the kiddie theme-park version of pirates, they never engage in any, you know, piracy. They just dress colorfully, sail the high seas, and search for treasure chests that spontaneously spawn underground like truffles. In the same manner Dumb and Dumber are "assassins" because that's cooler than being called spies or agents, but I'll be very surprised if we ever actually see them practicing their trade.

(Alternate theory: they do kill someone and spend the rest of the game moping "oh no, what have we done, there is blood on our hands" because they are the worst)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I got into assassining because Mom told me there were good health benefits, abloobloo"

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Mechanical Ape posted:

What it feels like, so far, is that Klace has romanticized the job of assassin the way that pirates are sometimes romanticized. You know how in the kiddie theme-park version of pirates, they never engage in any, you know, piracy. They just dress colorfully, sail the high seas, and search for treasure chests that spontaneously spawn underground like truffles. In the same manner Dumb and Dumber are "assassins" because that's cooler than being called spies or agents, but I'll be very surprised if we ever actually see them practicing their trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaWU1CmrJNc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Three-Phase posted:

It's like "Cheers".

Also can someone explain to me what the hell this "power crystal" talk is about?

I think that's just our little canon for what Rabies would rather be doing.

• Locked thread