Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The Japanese have pretty loving retarded ideas about physical fitness regimes. Remember Daisuke Matsuzaka?

quote:

In the quarterfinal of the 1998 Summer Koshien, Matsuzaka threw 250 pitches in 17 innings in a win over PL Gakuen.[3] (The previous day he had thrown a 148-pitch complete game shutout.) The next day, despite trailing 6–0 in the top of the eighth inning, the team miraculously won the game after scoring 7 runs in the final two innings (four in the eighth and three in the ninth). He started the game in left field, but came in as a reliever in the ninth inning to record the win in 15 pitches. In the final, he threw a no-hitter,[4] the second ever in a final. This performance garnered him the attention of many scouts.

That was in high school; his career could have been way longer without his own version of "Coach"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

The Japanese have pretty loving retarded ideas about physical fitness regimes. Remember Daisuke Matsuzaka?

To be fair, so do Americans, though at least that seems to be limited to laypeople (actual athletes seem to do reasonable stuff).

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Ytlaya posted:

"This music that once sounded too fast to understand now sounds normal to me!"

lmao i want to see this now.

I think he just kinda took his pivoting and switching to a new level this latest chapter btw.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

lmao i want to see this now.

It's about as reasonable as "if I wear 50lb of extra weight constantly I'll adapt to moving normally with that weight (and go faster when taking it off)." Apparently in Japan obese people adapt to their weight from "wearing" it constantly and become faster and stronger than non-overweight people after losing the weight.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ He'll do some convoluted training inspired by Itagaki that allows him to slow down his perception of time. Like maybe he'll be forced to watch TV and listen to music at 10x speed for a week and become capable of slowing down his time perception by 10x as a result.

"This music that once sounded too fast to understand now sounds normal to me!"

Well, yeah, though I think that Ippo's past exercise at least would help some, even if it wasn't necessarily the best stuff to do.

Ippo loves Nightcore.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It's interesting how they had this relatively unknown guy actually do well in a spar against Miyata. I was guessing him to job against him and Miyata to go "Ippo was knocked down by this scrub, heh."

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
New Year, new chapters. 1165 and 1166 are out.

Not much going on, Ippo is still probably not punch drunk, Takamura is still nude, Kumi is still worried. Coach is off doing training because the new dempsy rolll is THAT good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

But what is the Dempsey Roll going to be able to do against Ippo's next opponent, who will be capable of moving so fast that when he stops he hurls forward a wall of sweat capable of stopping Ippo's charge?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
he'll never do it but narratively making miyata the comeback fight would be the best step forward and would set both of their story-arcs on the right path. ippo would regain momentum and focus, miyata would be able to move up a weight class so we dont have any weirdness around the world title fight, etc

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Chapter 1167-68 are out.

Lots of boners going around these chapters. Coach is all hot and bothered about Ippo, Aoki got one for the heavy bag, Ippo fantasizing about Miyata.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This manga can still be funny as hell when Morikawa tries.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Watch this dude get totally loving bodied to cement Ippo and Miyata's humiliation, and then they utterly destroy the next guy or two they fight because they didn't have their new weapons then.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

chapter 1170 came out. no one cares about 1169

welp, Nagumo is a chump not fit for the world stage and Miyata is like "you lost to that clown? seriously? I had to hold back as not to injure him. Are you broken?"

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Huzzah! posted:

chapter 1170 came out. no one cares about 1169

welp, Nagumo is a chump not fit for the world stage and Miyata is like "you lost to that clown? seriously? I had to hold back as not to injure him. Are you broken?"

Spoiler discussion:

I don't buy the whole "broken" subplot, since Ippo has always traditionally sucked at sparring. Plus, they have to show off the new and improved Dempsey roll, right? It's been talked about for hundreds of chapters by this point, and even Takamura admitted that the "perfect" version of the Dempsey Roll would be extremely powerful. I don't know how much longer the author can delay its big debut. Ippo is gonna put somebody else in the hospital, probably.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
So tired of the goddamn Dempsey roll at this point. I bet if we resurrected Dempsey and asked him about "the Dempsheee Rolllu!!!" he would say "what the gently caress are you all talking about"

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Suddenly ippo sees tape of prime Mike Tyson dodging and then hurting the body.
This is your "Iron Defense", Ippo!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I really hope that Ippo's "solution" to this isn't just the new Dempsey Roll. He needs to improve in other ways as well (like analyzing what his opponents are doing as Miyata did in this match).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I thought they'd explained why Ippo got knocked down in his spar as well?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is a really good post about one of the best boxers around atm for anyone interested

https://imgur.com/gallery/LPkuo

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Ippo needs more fight iq, reacting to opponents stuff and a lot more tools other than "grit my teeth and hit hurd"
Alfredo beat him up in the infight lol

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think the point of this is probably to get Ippo to be more confident, or to surprise the hell out of Miyata and everyone later.

Ippo won't say that he was still damaged from his previous fight, which is why he got owned in the spar. He either mans up and admits "Yeah, I was still hosed up from my previous fight. I would've destroyed that guy otherwise", or he doesn't and then shows up at his return fight and annihilates the jobber they put him up against which will probably be Thai dude as per Ippo standard.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

Ippo needs more fight iq, reacting to opponents stuff and a lot more tools other than "grit my teeth and hit hurd"
Alfredo beat him up in the infight lol

But what about his yamato damashii???

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

I thought they'd explained why Ippo got knocked down in his spar as well?

his brains broken as gently caress

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

the answer is to give ippo a despicable opponent he needs to use every tool in the freaking box to win against. Like, he needs to use feints, traps, counters, dirty infighting, clinching fouling and whatever else to win. I know that isn't ippo but he needs to actively use these things, it feels like he almost lucks into the win now. Opponent slips up and gets demolished, ippo is like, my boxing pulled me through coach!, while looking like he just got lynched by a mob

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Wild Horses posted:

the answer is to give ippo a despicable opponent he needs to use every tool in the freaking box to win against. Like, he needs to use feints, traps, counters, dirty infighting, clinching fouling and whatever else to win. I know that isn't ippo but he needs to actively use these things, it feels like he almost lucks into the win now. Opponent slips up and gets demolished, ippo is like, my boxing pulled me through coach!, while looking like he just got lynched by a mob
He fought that one stupid dude who did stuff like loosening his mitts and the like and Mashiba like 2 zillion years ago. He also fought the veteran and that other guy from the rookie kings who basically try to win on points.

He hasn't fought any proper high-level fighters who dip into the entire toolbox. He either fights one-trick ponies or boxing phenoms who are so insanely good they don't need to.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

^yeah dude i agree
why was takamura vs hawk so good? Because it was all about skill and also sheer will at the end of it, after all the possible strategies were exhausted. A true fight.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Fabricated posted:

He hasn't fought any proper high-level fighters who dip into the entire toolbox. He either fights one-trick ponies or boxing phenoms who are so insanely good they don't need to.

The high-level fighter who dipped into the entire toolbox was supposed to be Alfredo Gonzalez, wasn't it? That boxer had plenty of experience at the World level, and even fought Martinez, the undisputed World Champion.

Edit:
An argument could be made that Date Eiji was also a pretty high-level fighter, too. He was fearless, possessed Dad Strength, had mastered the Heartbreak shot, and all of his boxing skills were polished. If Martinez considered him to be a worthy opponent, that's about as good a compliment as you can get.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 23, 2017

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
i remember when he pulled out the most devastating move yet... the one-two. after using his left hand for the whole fight, he shocked the crowd and coach kamogawa by... using his right hand. ippo had made a grave miscalculation against this crafty veteran, you see. he forgot about his other punching hand.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

"JUST AS I IMAGINED! HE USES BOTH ARMS, HE'S THE WORST MATCH-UP FOR THE BOY"

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
He doesn't have a special move! We are totally unprepared for his mastery of all normal boxing techniques!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

edit- link didn't work

Wild Horses fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 23, 2017

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ippo hasn't won a fight in the manga in like 5 irl years

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ya'll should read Rikudo to get a healthy dose of 'opposite of HnI' once in a while.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

That Works posted:

Ya'll should read Rikudo to get a healthy dose of 'opposite of HnI' once in a while.

I'll check that out, I tried RRR which didn't really draw me in. I'm of the opinion that ashita no Joe , tho, is an absolute classic and it was funny to read it after being 900 chapters into ippo and realizing how much of hni is either an homage or straight up lifted from anj

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Man, you know what's going to happen at some point? Miyata is going to defeat Martinez (that's the current champ, right?) and then Ippo will fight Miyata. Ippo will never fight Martinez.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Wild Horses posted:

"JUST AS I IMAGINED! HE USES BOTH ARMS, HE'S THE WORST MATCH-UP FOR THE BOY"

:downs:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

That Works posted:

it's real good yes

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Please do not remember solely The Bad Years, but also, in your heart, remember how it felt when Ippo combod Sendo to near death, when Takamura fought through severe dehydration, when Date mercifully put down an unconscious Ippo staggering towards him....

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

tbp posted:

when Date mercifully put down an unconscious Ippo staggering towards him....

If only he could do it again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I don't mentally comprehend how someone who could write a storyline about an absurdly brutish man who, over nearly 400 chapters, displays only the tiniest hints of his true personality and feelings of commitment towards others and eventually goes into some mythological struggle against himself and some deified villain coming out the other end with a riveting and emotionally moving tale could also write a storyline about Monkey Man Who's Good At Punching