Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The Italian Navy Seals were cool. The badge is so amazingly Italian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decima_Flottiglia_MAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

aphid_licker posted:

The Italian Navy Seals were cool. The badge is so amazingly Italian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decima_Flottiglia_MAS

hooOOOLY poo poo that skull

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That is the biggest roman numeral I have ever seen on a badge.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I like it how the X also marks the spot resembles an hour glass, another symbol of mortality.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

SeanBeansShako posted:

That is the biggest roman numeral I have ever seen on a badge.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
american patches for offbeat or obscure things are loving great, the best are spies and the DEA

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Those patches make drugs seem rad as gently caress, which is probably the opposite of the message they should be sending.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Ensign Expendable posted:

Those patches make drugs seem rad as gently caress, which is probably the opposite of the message they should be sending.

It's what keeps them in business.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Nothing beats the Zheleznogorsk logo.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

my dad posted:

Nothing beats the Zheleznogorsk logo.

checks out

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

HEY GAL posted:

hooOOOLY poo poo that skull

Åke Tott flew something like that as his standard.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That bear is inducing a fission explosion!

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
The NRO patches are the greatest especially when you consider they end up plastered over the rocket fairings

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kemper Boyd posted:

Åke Tott flew something like that as his standard.
it was also a consistent theme for every company flag in his regiment, because the one thing these people liked more than duelling one another and getting drunk is horrible vexilology/heraldry puns

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So I just watched an amazing Danish movie, Land of Mine, about a bunch of German child soldiers being forced to dig out thousand of mines in the shores of Denmark and it's a really strong and depressing movie and I want to know if there are good sources on how bad things were for Hitler Youth and Volkssturm kids during and after the war.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I got that on a shirt. It's pretty cheap on Amazon.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

lenoon posted:

I've read so many junior officer, explorer, civil servant and intelligence officer biographies that I think I can fumble towards some vague understanding of why they were like that.

It's their upbringing. It's in everything they read, are taught, are told from youth to adulthood - even in their job descriptions ("wanted: Boy Scout for insane expedition, chance of death high, chance of honour certain"). It's everywhere - life is a game, sacrifice yourself for the empire's good, the white man carries a heavy burden (and his actions have to justify being given the burden in the first place), Christian sacrifice doctrine, etc etc. There's a heady mix of loyalty, indoctrination and racism.

I'm catching up on the day's thread so this is a little bit behind, but if anyone wants to learn more about this sort of thing in this context I can recommend Into The Silence by Wade Davis. The subtitle is The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest and it is (unsurprisingly) about the various British expeditions to climb Everest culminating in Mallory and Irvine's deaths in 1924. But as the subtitle suggests it starts off talking about the 'public school ethos' and the imperial project mindset in the late-19th/early-20th centuries, how this affected British experiences in WW1 and in turn how WW1 affected those that survived it but whose formative years were before it. Because the urge to risk life climbing mountains was a big part of that coping mechanism.

In regard to Scott the 'play up, play up and play the game' thinking is what led Scott's team to literally walk themselves to death. Man-hauling was the 'honourable' way to travel and pitted man against nature in a 'fair fight'. Amudsen used dog teams and his whole expedition was built around dashing a small team to the Pole and back a quickly and safely as possible. Scott may have used dogs, ponies and motor-sleds to lay his supply lines but the idea of doing anything other than walking to the Pole unassisted was unthinkable because it wouldn't be 'right'. And doing all the prep that Amudsen did smacked of professionalism too, which the public school ethos abhorred. You were supposed to be a plucky amateur who acheived great feats in the service of King and Empire through force of will and strength of character :britain:

It's why in terms of British prestige it hardly mattered that Scott was beaten to the Pole and had his entire team die on the return trip. He 'played the game' and played it well. He may have lost but he played the game. It is, I think, a peculiarly Establishment British way of thinking and it still echoes around the place today.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 6, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

BalloonFish posted:

And doing all the prep that Amudsen did smacked of professionalism too, which the public school ethos abhorred.
from an outside perspective i will never understand, never ever, how the british can valorize incompetence like they do.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

NROL-39 will forever be my favorite. Even better than the Simpsons joke:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Brits, the original scrubs going "omg fcking tryhard". :britain:

It looks to me it's mostly a celebration of natural talent and being happy with one's position on the great big scoreboard of life. Some people are just born to be great tennis players or whatever. Like almost the exact opposite of the American Dream, in a way.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hell, while I'm at it, I'm going to repost America.png, seen at the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin AFB

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

from an outside perspective i will never understand, never ever, how the british can valorize incompetence like they do.

I think it's partially fetishizing natural talent, like how Suvorov hid all the careful work he did so he could present the results as being from inspirational genius.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

HEY GAL posted:

I'm a Brit and I don't really understand it either, but I recognise it. It seems to come down to two things:

1) Incompetence can be excused if you're 'a good chap'. You can be a complete bungler from one end of your career to another but if you carry on with an air of affable grace, can pass the port in the right direction around a mess table, pay your drinking bills on time and can drop appropriate Ovid quotes into conversation then it doesn't really matter.

1b) No one who went to the right prep school, the right public school and the right Oxbridge college/joined the right Army regiment/etc. can be a 'bad chap'.

2 aka 'The Captain Scott Clause') Failure can be excused if you tried in the right way. In fact you haven't really failed because the point is to play the game, not win it. This is called 'being a good sport'. Practising, preparing or even being an expert at something is 'just not cricket' because it gives you an unfair advantage.

I also think the class system has a lot to do with it. Some people are just naturally 'better' than others. If you're at Oxbridge you're part of the elite and so you shouldn't have to try, you don't have to be an expert and if you fail it can't have been your fault.

To keep this reasonably MilHist - would any other nation consider the Dunkirk Evacuation to be such a fondly-remembered and seminal part of its military and cultural history? While the evacuation was, on its own terms, successful it came at the end of a crushing strategic defeat in which the BEF lost 1/7th of its men and a huge proportion of its equipment, vehicles and ammunition. But because it involved plucky Tommies being whisked back to the safety of their sceptred isle by a fleet of amateur civilians in their motorboats and sailing yachts from under the guns of Jerries it becomes this sentimental, positive thing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
imagine if that had happened to early modern spain, you could have the same exact actions but in their hands it would become a story of melancholy and vanished glory; heroism, but only the sad kind. i mean, it did, that's the battle of rocroi.

edit: similar backs-to-the-wall actions but the spanish are not "plucky."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 6, 2017

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Earlier in this thread there was a sobering post /series of posts that included a transcript of a German soldier's personal experience with war crimes, the killing of women, children, etc, getting blind drunk in order to deal with it better, etc. I think in Poland? I want to track it down, if someone can find the post or the source of said post.

It was unremittingly horrifying, if that helps ring any bells.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 6, 2017

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Eela6 posted:

Earlier in this thread there was a sobering post /series of posts that included a transcript of a German soldier's personal experience with war crimes, the killing of women, children, etc, getting blind drunk in order to deal with it better, etc. I think in Poland? I want to track it down, if someone can find the post or the source of said post.

It was the Warsaw Uprising I think. And yeah it was horrifying.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Eela6 posted:

It involved Dirlewanger, of course it was utterly horrifying.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

gently caress the SS.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

gently caress the SS.

?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That is gently caress a SS.

Don't go near any horses my friend.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Woah the Lebensborn program was real? I'm kind of embarrassed I never knew about it, I thought it was invented for The Man in the High Castle as a way to illustrate ~creepy Nazi reproduction~ weirdness.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

BalloonFish posted:

To keep this reasonably MilHist - would any other nation consider the Dunkirk Evacuation to be such a fondly-remembered and seminal part of its military and cultural history? While the evacuation was, on its own terms, successful it came at the end of a crushing strategic defeat in which the BEF lost 1/7th of its men and a huge proportion of its equipment, vehicles and ammunition. But because it involved plucky Tommies being whisked back to the safety of their sceptred isle by a fleet of amateur civilians in their motorboats and sailing yachts from under the guns of Jerries it becomes this sentimental, positive thing.

I think most places valorise successful last-ditch defences and stuff. When you're getting crushed in anything, a point where you rally is always going to be notable.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

spectralent posted:

I think most places valorise successful last-ditch defences and stuff. When you're getting crushed in anything, a point where you rally is always going to be notable.
but the way they do it will vary by culture, no?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think it's quite fair to criticize the Regia Aeronautica for not having dedicated torpedo planes or torpedo doctrine since the SM.79 performed very well early in the war.

The SM.79 was never meant to be a torpedo bomber. The Regia Aeronautica blew off the idea of building dedicated naval strike aircraft throughout the 1930s until the Spanish Civil War taught them that you can't rely on lots of tiny bombs dropped by medium bombers to sink ships or even damage them. When they realized they actually needed specialized torpedo planes they had to kludge something together prestissimo, and the SM.79 was all that would fit the bill. Italy entered the war with a torpedo bomber force more through luck than anything else.

It was lucky for the Italians it worked as well as it did, because every single attempt to build something better failed miserably or wasn't ready until the 1943 armistice made it irrelevant.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

spectralent posted:

US forces at Bataan and the frozen Chosin come to mind for me.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Crazycryodude posted:

Woah the Lebensborn program was real? I'm kind of embarrassed I never knew about it, I thought it was invented for The Man in the High Castle as a way to illustrate ~creepy Nazi reproduction~ weirdness.

Oh yes. Very much so. In fact, if theres a crazy Nazi scheme you heard about in a book or show, its probably grounded in reality.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The SM.79 was never meant to be a torpedo bomber. The Regia Aeronautica blew off the idea of building dedicated naval strike aircraft throughout the 1930s until the Spanish Civil War taught them that you can't rely on lots of tiny bombs dropped by medium bombers to sink ships or even damage them. When they realized they actually needed specialized torpedo planes they had to kludge something together prestissimo, and the SM.79 was all that would fit the bill. Italy entered the war with a torpedo bomber force more through luck than anything else.

It was lucky for the Italians it worked as well as it did, because every single attempt to build something better failed miserably or wasn't ready until the 1943 armistice made it irrelevant.

Building a good multirole airplane isn't just luck, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Building a good multirole airplane isn't just luck, though.

It was luck in this case, because the SM.79 was never meant to be multi-role (or at least not that kind of multi-role) in the first place.