Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

So, um.... is this real?

http://xboxclips.com/DP%20Sayre/ba5a8340-5ee6-42e9-8a34-a763076e80d9/embed

If not, someone's making a lot of effort to fake it. An actual, flying alien ship, that apparently knocks out your power for a while.

E: More poo poo about it on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5m9dtq/thargoids/

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Wolfechu posted:

So, um.... is this real?

If not, someone's making a lot of effort to fake it. An actual, flying alien ship, that apparently knocks out your power for a while.

E: More poo poo about it on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5m9dtq/thargoids/

I'd say it's real, since it actually matches the organic looking alien crap we've been finding very well. I think it even looks like the non-crashed version of the crashed alien ships. If that's a fake, it's the best made fake ever and that guy should be employed by Frontier immediately.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Libluini posted:

I'd say it's real, since it actually matches the organic looking alien crap we've been finding very well. I think it even looks like the non-crashed version of the crashed alien ships. If that's a fake, it's the best made fake ever and that guy should be employed by Frontier immediately.

FD are already sharing it on Twitter, you know they've been waiting for it to jump out at someone. https://twitter.com/EliteDangerous/status/817135524213297153

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Happening status: it's.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Breetai posted:

Happening status: it's.

Well thank gently caress something is.

That did look very cool, love the ship design

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
Calling it right now, the ship is invincible and the only interaction with aliens is a hauling CG

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Good Dumplings posted:

Calling it right now, the ship is invincible and the only interaction with aliens is a hauling CG

I bet they'd love some galactic guidebooks.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I feel like everything in the bubble's about to get deleted in an 'alien invasion' with no insurance payouts. That's why they're letting everyone exploit! :tinfoil:

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
I was feeling like I should really gear up and get a Corvette or Anaconda ready for this, but then uh, you know if the bubble is going to go to poo poo then it'll be nice to be able to land anywhere in a Python.

I sure hope we get Python ship kits before everything catches fire :ohdear:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Wolfechu posted:

They want to share their wisdom and help us achieve our great potential as a species! It's all in this book that says "To Serve Man" on the cover... weird, the title is in English but the inside is gibberish... well, whatever, they're paying me millions to haul them!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
That looks amazingly cool. I like the weird distortion effects particularly. Time to buy a wake analyser, clearly.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Wolfechu posted:

"The aliens are demanding 10,000 Hutton Mugs, or they'll destroy Earth".

Three weeks later:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:circlefap:

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

This video includes the getting ripped out of hyperspace part which looks pretty rad too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slbWLXIpCv8

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
That looks amazing.

Aethernet posted:

Time to buy a wake analyser, clearly.
Yeah, you know the next step is for someone to follow their wake. Hopefully it doesn't take forever for that to happen to someone who's going equipped.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Anyone want to buy a premium doomsday bunker on Daisy? Big Harry protects.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Eyud posted:

This video includes the getting ripped out of hyperspace part which looks pretty rad too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slbWLXIpCv8

:stare:

putting a wake scanner on the old 'vette I guess

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
I've been too cool for school about the slow build up to aliens but the second it flashed up that warning about the hyperspace tunnel being hosed I was like Joaquin Phoenix in Signs. I didn't realise it but I've missed those miserable octagonal dickheads. :3:

Edit: it's happened to a pc player too apparently
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEtlaAUM2k

Double edit: calling it now, there's a cg to collect "unknown ship signature" and the reward is we're no longer disabled when they pull us out of hyperspace :v:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 6, 2017

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Edit: Need to learn to refresh :v:

DancingShade posted:

When they integrate Planet Coaster into ED then all you'll need is a Sidewinder to get from theme park to theme park.

Has anyone started filing bugs on the planet coaster forum yet about how some people are making theme parks that generate revenue and how it's ruining the game?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is the money faucet still there?

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Ah geez, that hyperspace effect was absolutely badass.

Guess it's time to reinstall.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mailer posted:

Edit: Need to learn to refresh :v:

Has anyone started filing bugs on the planet coaster forum yet about how some people are making theme parks that generate revenue and how it's ruining the game?

Nah PC has a sandbox mode.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Not right now, but possibly if another war kicks off before they drop the patch.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

:stare:

putting a wake scanner on the old 'vette I guess

So glad I already brought one because I forgot to take it off! :buddy:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

New money faucet is wake-scanning thargoids. :getin:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Grey Fox posted:

Ah geez, that hyperspace effect was absolutely badass.

Guess it's time to reinstall.

Yeah it was, and I liked the spatial distortion behind the ship too. That sound effect though :stare:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Welp, not gonna have a FDL before the end times. :stare: Ready to be useless!

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
It's a tiny bit frustrating that right when I'm willing to put Elite aside as a deeply flawed game, they take a set piece like this and knock it out of the loving park.

I am ready to meet my new alien overlords.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pilchenstein posted:

Not right now, but possibly if another war kicks off before they drop the patch.

gently caress.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Conskill posted:

It's a tiny bit frustrating that right when I'm willing to put Elite aside as a deeply flawed game, they take a set piece like this and knock it out of the loving park.

I am ready to meet my new alien overlords.

I guess I should get that Python.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Wolfechu posted:

So, um.... is this real?

I love the first reply there:

quote:

You can tell this is real because when he gets ripped out of witchspace, that bounty hunter still instantly lands on him.

:frontear:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

adamantium|wang posted:

I love the first reply there:

:frontear:

That got a genuine laugh out of me

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo, now the question is, is the appearance of the alien ship localized to certain parts of the galaxy, or can you theoretically encounter one even on the other side of the galaxy? Would be neat if my Imperial Cutter gets a little surprise on my journey...

Also gently caress, I'm hiking all Saturday, but I certainly know what I will do on Sunday.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Libluini posted:

Well poo poo, now the question is, is the appearance of the alien ship localized to certain parts of the galaxy, or can you theoretically encounter one even on the other side of the galaxy? Would be neat if my Imperial Cutter gets a little surprise on my journey...

Also gently caress, I'm hiking all Saturday, but I certainly know what I will do on Sunday.

I saw at least one post where someone talked about shipping off to the Pleiades but whether or not it's localised has yet to be confirmed.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think that in this case in particular the npc showing up actually was part of the whole encounter. Because the moment the giant space whale decided to shoot his beam the npc stops shooting, probably blown up by it while you were spared. Some people are suggesting you have to have UAs in your inventory to trigger the event.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Is the 17Drac moneytrain still rolling? Having explained ED nerds and whiny grognards of the brown sea to her, and the general ridiculous expensiveness of everything in ED, my gf actually agreed that I'd be a fool not to rape this opportunity into the ground some more before it gets patched out.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think that in this case in particular the npc showing up actually was part of the whole encounter. Because the moment the giant space whale decided to shoot his beam the npc stops shooting, probably blown up by it while you were spared. Some people are suggesting you have to have UAs in your inventory to trigger the event.

That's not part of the event, there's others where no ship pops up besides the alien. And you don't need UAs either. Shoot at it and see what happens.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Libluini posted:

The xbox guy was jumping to Aries Dark Region XU-O B6-3 and the pc guy Hyades Sector CB-W B2-3, so I guess check the map next time you're in game. Also, the pc player had unkown artefacts in his hold which might be relevant.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Nah, it's just a side effect of the NPCs having badly disguised magic powers - you can see "Awesome Welles" send a message about his bounty before he jumps so the game will just magically spawn that NPC the next time he enters an instance in that system, which I'm assuming he still is, since the thargoids interrupt the loading screen. I actually think he was interdicted twice - at the end of the second video you can still see his shields taking damage during the alien scan but in the third video, there's no shield damage as the scan happens. Also when his ship comes back online, his hyperspace target is different: Pleiades Sector OI-T C3-8.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I feel like everything in the bubble's about to get deleted in an 'alien invasion' with no insurance payouts. That's why they're letting everyone exploit! :tinfoil:

It turns out that Skimmers are distant relatives to Thargoids. Also Thargoids have time distortion powers, and the instant they see you, they rollback all money and assets you acquired from killing Skimmers, out of vengeance.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm from pleiades and I say, kill em all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Hexenritter posted:

That got a genuine laugh out of me

Yeah same. The first time I see Thargoids in E:D it's lame'd up by :frontear: game design with that NPC photobombing the encounter.

• Locked thread