Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
For remote support we use ScreenConnect, a program that requires users to navigate to a website, enter a code, and download an application that automatically connects them to us.

One of the options for the code is to let ScreenConnect generate it. ScreenConnect's codes are four letters.

Co-worker just got ScreenConnect to generate "CLIT" as a code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Segmentation Fault posted:

For remote support we use ScreenConnect, a program that requires users to navigate to a website, enter a code, and download an application that automatically connects them to us.

One of the options for the code is to let ScreenConnect generate it. ScreenConnect's codes are four letters.

Oh man, we used that at my last job and I got "CUCK" as a code.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ticket came in..

A bunch of external employees aren't able to access their pay stubs online.

It turns out that huge sections of our self service site don't work correctly for external users ever since the Netscaler got replaced.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Inspector_666 posted:

Just buy an Acrobat license at that point.

Even with full Acrobat Pro you can't really just edit a PDF like you can a Word document.

PDF is basically a garbage format.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

How long ago was that? I'm really surprised they don't have a blacklist for the code generator. Now we all just use the ticket numbers for the names.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Even with full Acrobat Pro you can't really just edit a PDF like you can a Word document.

PDF can be good, but unless your company is full of design nerds it will never be used properly.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

From the remote software or the user? :wink:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How long ago was that? I'm really surprised they don't have a blacklist for the code generator. Now we all just use the ticket numbers for the names.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747&pagenumber=415&perpage=40#post437539778

Malek posted:

From the remote software or the user? :wink:

:forkbomb:
:wmwink:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

pixaal posted:

You made 36k? You weren't getting paid enough to dick around with that.Or maybe you were, I mean just pay someone $20,000 to make it from looking at the file. Data Entry. You were getting paid the wrong amount of that.

Yup, I was getting 36k after my raise.
I was working 90+ hour work weeks regularly. Building multi TB NAS/SAN in a weekend, PBX deployments with 8 hours notice, running 500 new network drops solo in a weekend, new VPNs/NATs all over the place at the drop of a hat, running helpdesk for some 300 people, building loving office cubicles, shopping for servers at goodwill with my own money, Asterisk, SIP, PRI, Trunking, IP phones, OPEN SOURCE implement a virtualization solution! virtualbox - no that's not good enough - Openstack - no we need pets not cattle - oVirt - no i don't understand this, put it all back to bare metal, mikrotik, hylafax, MPLS, FAX server, zenoss ZENOSSSSSS DASHBOARDS, rasberry pi HUDs, ras pi pbx, REMOTE OFFICE IN A BOX, lan topology DASHBOARDS BLINKENLIGHTS!!!!!!, EIS, Capario, ITSM, lansweeper (thank god for lansweeper <3), OPENDNS, we need more power circuits!
THE GOD-drat-WI-FI. I AM A WARRIOR, making GBS threads IN A PIKE LINED TRAP HOLE IN THE JUNGLE OF A DESERTED PACIFIC ISLAND DECADES AFTER THE WAR ENDED WAITING TO BE CONTACTED BY HQ AND BE loving DAMNED IF I'M NOT GOING TO KILL ME SOME PRINTERS TODAY.
Agile, Six-sigma, LEAN, Lean-to, sleeping on file cabinets, Microsoft Office?, libre office, open office, closed office, BPM, BPMN, BPMN 2.0, SpagoBI, Process modeling, mapping, ISP failover gateway, "GET THIS ANCIENT IBM TAPE BACKUP WORKING, WE ARE GONNA USE IT," Asana, Slack, Skype, Lync, lol, Ubuntu desktops (yeah they'll figure it out eventually), Zabbix, iptables, Ansible, Docker, Jenkens, Chef, Puppet, OTRS, OSticket, RequestTracker, ZenDesk (jklol), my crowning glory: Ubiquiti AP's (I was king for a day)
gently caress Freeswitch, Eat poo poo PfSense. HALLELUJAH! HOLY poo poo! where's the Tylenol?

...and the list goes on.
It was stupid. But it is over.
Now I have a nice cushy local government job doing literally none of those things at a 60% raise

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Lost count of the number of times I shifted between laughing and being horrified while reading that, sheesh.

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was working 90+ hour work weeks regularly. Building multi TB NAS/SAN in a weekend, PBX deployments with 8 hours notice, running 500 new network drops solo in a weekend, new VPNs/NATs all over the place at the drop of a hat, running helpdesk for some 300 people, building loving office cubicles, shopping for servers at goodwill with my own money, Asterisk, SIP, PRI, Trunking, IP phones, OPEN SOURCE implement a virtualization solution! virtualbox - no that's not good enough - Openstack - no we need pets not cattle - oVirt - no i don't understand this, put it all back to bare metal, mikrotik, hylafax, MPLS, FAX server, zenoss ZENOSSSSSS DASHBOARDS, rasberry pi HUDs, ras pi pbx, REMOTE OFFICE IN A BOX, lan topology DASHBOARDS BLINKENLIGHTS!!!!!!, EIS, Capario, ITSM, lansweeper (thank god for lansweeper <3), OPENDNS, we need more power circuits!
THE GOD-drat-WI-FI. I AM A WARRIOR, making GBS threads IN A PIKE LINED TRAP HOLE IN THE JUNGLE OF A DESERTED PACIFIC ISLAND DECADES AFTER THE WAR ENDED WAITING TO BE CONTACTED BY HQ AND BE loving DAMNED IF I'M NOT GOING TO KILL ME SOME PRINTERS TODAY.
Agile, Six-sigma, LEAN, Lean-to, sleeping on file cabinets, Microsoft Office?, libre office, open office, closed office, BPM, BPMN, BPMN 2.0, SpagoBI, Process modeling, mapping, ISP failover gateway, "GET THIS ANCIENT IBM TAPE BACKUP WORKING, WE ARE GONNA USE IT," Asana, Slack, Skype, Lync, lol, Ubuntu desktops (yeah they'll figure it out eventually), Zabbix, iptables, Ansible, Docker, Jenkens, Chef, Puppet, OTRS, OSticket, RequestTracker, ZenDesk (jklol), my crowning glory: Ubiquiti AP's (I was king for a day)
gently caress Freeswitch, Eat poo poo PfSense. HALLELUJAH! HOLY poo poo! where's the Tylenol?

...and the list goes on.
Now I have a nice cushy local government job doing literally none of those things at a 60% raise

We didn't start the fire...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Rassle posted:

:golfclap:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
After applying on a complete whim I found out I got accepted into the CCNA CyberOps scholarship program so yay. After the initial application it recommended I sign up for the Cisco Learning Network and participate in the "discussion groups".

So I checked it out and holy poo poo it's horrifying. How do some of these people actually function in the real world? Like I understand that a lot of people just learn the test and not actually absorb the material but seeing it in the proverbial flesh is just disheartening. If the e-mail says "you'll get more info on the 6th" then you don't need to make three threads being like "HEY CISCO WHEN ARE WE GETTING INFORMATION"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sheep posted:

Lost count of the number of times I shifted between laughing and being horrified while reading that, sheesh.
I moved stacks of poo poo like this around daily because my boss refused to throw anything away.

Then there was that time we had to steal chairs from another office building we got evicted from:

I never actually got reimbursed for this one, but this is how much we spent on 10 laptops for our field reps.

This was my office for 3 months:

You can see my desk on the right:

It was an upgrade from the broom closet with two power outlets and no lights.

They made us clean out the boardroom closet with promises of letting us store some things in there:

They reneged.

OH YEAH! We had to change all the lightbulbs in teh building because of white (daylight) superiority.

This was a thing:

I'm pretty sure that thing on the medical cart is our firewall (gateway desktop) and that's a Chinese UPS on top of it that eventually caught fire.

Then we had to clear out a warehouse and take down all the shelves:

They put me on a chair, on a box, on a palette, on a forklift, to remove the cameras I originally installed by climbing up the shelves that we had already taken down.

As a parting gift, one weekend I locked everyone out of the building, took everything offline, cleaned everything up and reorganized it so that all the servers were in the rack, off the floors, chairs, shelves, carts. I fixed all the patch panels, removed all the unnecessary wires, trunked our core switches with fiber SFP's and generally had that whole place running better than it ever had before, without anyone noticing.

Then like a month after myself and the only other IT guy quit the company went belly up because we were the glue holding that whole loving place together.
Oh well.

Rassle posted:

You and I are friends now.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 6, 2017

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

This was a thing:

I am God drat triggered rrrrraaaauuuugghhhhh

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
That post should come with a trigger warning

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

loving :stare:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

...and the list goes on.
Aside from being frightening, this reads well. I could totally listen to some neckbeard on the edge of a nervous breakdown reciting this at a poetry slam in a coffee shop somewhere.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It sounds like iliza slezinger stand up, but with IT jargon instead of jokes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GnarlyCharlie4u I wish I could hire you.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

...and the list goes on.

<honestly laughing my rear end off>

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So i just found out that one of our auditing tools that I inherited 3 months ago has been broken for 12 months and now there's a year's worth of records to fix.

Tomorrow is going to be fun.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

PDF is great for what it is. Unfortunately, what it "is" is the digital version of a printed page, and you have to treat it like a printed page, eg. go back to the document you printed, make your changes there, and reprint the loving thing.

And the best tool I've ever found to edit a PDF is Illustrator. Usually directly, but for the really stubborn ones you can print the PDF to a PostScript file and edit from there.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 6, 2017

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Samizdata posted:

<honestly laughing my rear end off>

RIP your bum.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
By any chance did someone spraypaint "Computer as gently caress" on a wall of that warehouse?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Background to this - we have touch screen kiosks that use fingerprints as a password for prisoners.

ticket: can you re-enrol mr smith again as his finger prints have stopped working since you last re-enrolled him.
my reply: if his biometrics were previously working, why did you send him to be re-enrolled?

no reply so I think I'll close that one. It also appears 'mr smith' has been using the kiosk successfully according to the logs... someone is telling fibs! That's not like prisoners....

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Then there's the one user who will send three or four in a row which are real-time streams of her vacuous consciousness.

Send her the response of "plug ears, plug nose, close mouth" and hope the vacuum between her ears makes her head implode

Dell uses a similar captcha system when checking hardware warranty on their site - I got TWAT6 a few months ago :v:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 6, 2017

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

angry armadillo posted:

Background to this - we have touch screen kiosks that use fingerprints as a password for prisoners.

ticket: can you re-enrol mr smith again as his finger prints have stopped working since you last re-enrolled him.
my reply: if his biometrics were previously working, why did you send him to be re-enrolled?

no reply so I think I'll close that one. It also appears 'mr smith' has been using the kiosk successfully according to the logs... someone is telling fibs! That's not like prisoners....

I thought you were going to say he lost the part the biometric was attached to.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Send her the response of "plug ears, plug nose, close mouth" and hope the vacuum between her ears makes her head implode

Dell uses a similar captcha system when checking hardware warranty on their site - I got TWAT6 a few months ago :v:

I got this early on at my current job, I finally have a reason to post it!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Moatman posted:

By any chance did someone spraypaint "Computer as gently caress" on a wall of that warehouse?

No but for some reason I just had horrible flashbacks about trying to loving deal with using Dell's trashed surplus experimental C6100 hardware as our main virtualization environment.

iirc fires were a common thing, and I never had more than 75% of the nodes in a single box operational.

But we paid like $200/pizza box for those things so what do you expect?

OH! PICTURES!

This thing literally loving exploded when it was plugged in to the server.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

No but for some reason I just had horrible flashbacks about trying to loving deal with using Dell's trashed surplus experimental C6100 hardware as our main virtualization environment.

iirc fires were a common thing, and I never had more than 75% of the nodes in a single box operational.

But we paid like $200/pizza box for those things so what do you expect?

OH! PICTURES!

This thing literally loving exploded when it was plugged in to the server.

How, what, why? Did you get some engineering sample rejects? If it's the C6100 I'm thinking of, Dell rolled it in house with custom boards and then went to Supermicro for a C6220.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This reminds me when I worked at a company where your email address was your first initial and last name @company. I happened to work with an Anette Hooker and a Theresa Watts.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

the spyder posted:

How, what, why? Did you get some engineering sample rejects? If it's the C6100 I'm thinking of, Dell rolled it in house with custom boards and then went to Supermicro for a C6220.

Yup. Someone was quietly cleaning out a warehouse of racks that were probably supposed to be destroyed and not resold.
In the pics we got there was clearly a rack bent in half in one of the pics, and a dumpster in the background of another.
These were very clearly custom boards and hilariously hacked together cases. Basically folded sheet metal, and random sheet metal screws. I don't remember seeing a single rivet.
I remember the lovely loving standoffs for the boards though and the "backplanes" being a bunch of sata cables hacked together.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

ElGroucho posted:

Hey it turns out being a manager is not worth the money because now I'm doing all my old technical poo poo plus my boss's previous poo poo

Also, she says I should be able to handle it, since she "Did technical things too", such as click on a website and check on metrics

Looks like its :yotj:

You are a manager now. It is time to learn how to delegate and start dumping all of your old technical responsibilities onto your direct reports. If they are not skilled up to tackle them then it is your job to skill them up.

You are a manager, not an individual contributor, and your job is to get other people to do their jobs. It just so happens that their jobs now incorporate your old job.

Edit:

Are you a Rogue?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 6, 2017

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

ookiimarukochan posted:

They're paying you a salary that's the value of your old one and your bosses' one combined to make up for the workload, right??

Thanks for the laugh buddy, needed that

The good news is that my wife is going back to work, and we'll soon have that good "gently caress you" buffer that changing jobs requires

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Jesus christ that post :stare:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This reminds me when I worked at a company where your email address was your first initial and last name @company. I happened to work with an Anette Hooker and a Theresa Watts.

My girlfriend works with a Mennonite guy whose name is Richard and has 4 sons who he loves. His email is dick4boys@company.com. Nobody has the heart to tell him. :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'll never understand why people make up these stupid schemes that inevitably ends up with someone getting a profanity as their email address. What's wrong with just using the full name?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

I'll never understand why people make up these stupid schemes that inevitably ends up with someone getting a profanity as their email address. What's wrong with just using the full name?
We have 8-character usernames as a bunch of our legacy systems haven't been updated to handle anything more. They're up to 7 characters of last name and 1 of first initial. Sometimes results in amusing combinations, though we override conflicts and such manually. However we do first.last email addresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Collateral Damage posted:

I used to work with someone whose name was "anu sinha[something]". There's no scheme you can come up with that won't result in profanity sometimes.

• Locked thread